ADVERTISEMENT

Full court press??

krzymick

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2022
What was the point of full court press and trapping if no one gets into the passing lanes and even attempts to pick the ball off. It seemed like a colossal waste of energy if there is no prospect of actually causing a turnover. Princeton never had any trouble with it. How was this what was taught at the college level? Bunch of guys just in no man’s land, not in position to do anything in the full court press

What was the point of full court press and trapping if no one gets into the passing lanes and even attempts to pick the ball off. It seemed like a colossal waste of energy if there is no prospect of actually causing a turnover. Princeton never had any trouble with it. How was this what was taught at the college level? Bunch of guys just in no man’s land, not in position to do anything in the full court press
Idea is not always to get a turnover but instead have them use the full 10 to get it past half court.

That way, a team like Princeton that runs great offense can’t get into their sets until 17/18 on the shot clock.

Idea is not always to get a turnover but instead have them use the full 10 to get it past half court.

That way, a team like Princeton that runs great offense can’t get into their sets until 17/18 on the shot clock.
I know this but they didn’t accomplish that either. Princeton had no issue. But if you are going to trap, which they did a few times, the other defenders made no effort to get into the passing lanes. When you trap, you are trying for a turnover

Reactions: RAC93 and RUChoppin

We had one full court press where Lee just dribbled the ball the full length of the court for a layup without being stopped or forced to pass. No idea what we were doing on that play defensively.

We had one full court press where Lee just dribbled the ball the full length of the court for a layup without being stopped or forced to pass. No idea what we were doing on that play defensively.

No one stopped the ball, very disturbing play to see. We’ll see what happens as it was first game, but tonight’s game had some huge red flags…..hopefully those red flags go away but there are things we saw tonight that if they don’t change then this is not even an NIT team.

I know this but they didn’t accomplish that either. Princeton had no issue. But if you are going to trap, which they did a few times, the other defenders made no effort to get into the passing lanes. When you trap, you are trying for a turnover

The press was useless, didn’t slow down or disrupt Princeton. The defensive rebounding was the most stunning thing I saw…..Princeton killed them with offensive boards. That should not happen. Kudos to Princeton, that team fought hard with relentless effort…..reminded me of recent RU teams.

The press was useless, didn’t slow down or disrupt Princeton. The defensive rebounding was the most stunning thing I saw…..Princeton killed them with offensive boards. That should not happen. Kudos to Princeton, that team fought hard with relentless effort…..reminded me of recent RU teams.
Princeton got a ton of second shots. Cliff was beaten repeatedly. Surprisingly, Davis tied Cliff with the most rebounds at 7. Overlooked was how many rebounds our big guards (Mulcahy, Caleb, and Cam) got last year. Fernandes and Simpson don’t help at all in that regard.

Pierce had 15 boards for Princeton and their guard Allocco had 9, both of which are unacceptable.

Fundamentals and hustle were lacking!!

We barely boxed out and thought we could just out jump them…Princeton got a ton of offensive rebounds

We never tried to stop the ball on defense. No help side defense and that could have been designed to prevent the 3pt shot but it was abysmal.

On top of that you just had guys out of position most times on defense. They looked lost especially in press as they were playing the spot on the floor rather than trying to disrupt passing lanes.

Just bad all around and Pike has a huge job ahead of him here because this team looks lost

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT