ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Court-Storming.. Duke Filipowski hurt..

Sep 11, 2006
I think Filipowski hurt himself by tripping that fan he trips.. he tracked him.. stuck his leg far out while also trying to get a bump with his arms. I think it is on him. After that.. some fan behind him seemed to seek contact.. but the other contact was because he crumbled after hurting his ankle.

We have seen a lot of court-storming with no impact on visitor players. The few times there are problems can be handled.

Court stormings are fun but not necessary. They look nice but it’s an add-on not a critical component of entertainment and needs to be banned. The stormers and the school employees hold all the responsibility.

Wouldn’t be surprised if players started rightfully suing schools for lack of crowd control (if players get hurt as a result).

I think Filipowski hurt himself by tripping that fan he trips.. he tracked him.. stuck his leg far out while also trying to get a bump with his arms. I think it is on him. After that.. some fan behind him seemed to seek contact.. but the other contact was because he crumbled after hurting his ankle.

We have seen a lot of court-storming with no impact on visitor players. The few times there are problems can be handled.

Caitlin Clark almost got injured a month ago. They’re fun - and I’ve participated - but not worth risking player safety.

Reactions: biazza38 and RUsojo
Interesting choice to storm the court in a game where you’re 2.5 point favorites.

Storming the court is supposed to be a celebratory thing. The dudes running up to the circle that formed around Filipowski with their phones out yelling shit in their faces are just acting like dickheads.

Yeah.

Is it different now? It seems like those Wake fans running at top speed up the court was more dangerous than any storming I've ever seen...

Id almost wish they could regulate it in a way that preserves the tradition. It’s great to get down there with your team - maybe give a 5 minute grace for the opponent to get off the court.

• Love
Reactions: dconifer
It would be helpful to see the few steps before the contact in the overhead view, but that looks like he sticks his right leg out pretty far, then extends his arms. If that Wake fan was an opposing player during a game, I would call that a foul on Duke.

Wow. We're really going to blame the player.

Well he was crying like a baby after the game incident. We should know the truth. He did extend his arms. Not sure about the trip though.

Either way, they need to figure out a way to get the opposing team off the court before the storm, but I think what we’ll see is a complete ban.

Not sure if you all remember but during the Bannon/Waters years, they used to prevent us from storming. Would put up barriers. At some point they stopped.

How awesome does the RHJR shot vs Purdue look with the storm and chaos right after?

I was at the RU game down there in December. Thought they had one of tamest home crowds ever. Big difference from yesterday..

CBS SportsThis article has longer video clips. The last one is zoomed in on Filipowski from the main broadcast view. He didn't change stride before contact. Neither did the fan of you follow hit from before the FT line. I don't think either intended to make contact.

I didn't notice the other fan swerve in towards Filipowski from behind right after contact. Clearly that was intentional.

Upon further review, my previous call is reversed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Koko
I don't care whats on the video... little 😺 running onto the court full speed for what? The kid was being an a$$hole there's a way to storm the court and then there's the guys that just do it as a way to "rage against the machine", slap one of them next time..

I hate Duke as much as anyone. So I would be as inclined as anyone to want to poibt a finger at Duke .

But that above view video proves the opposite to me - didn’t look like he changed stride and the extended arms is a natural human reaction prior to a collision - ie extending the arms to protect the body.

In slow mo it might look like a push. But think of yourself (or any other human) in that situation….in the split second before someone or something is about to collide with you … do you keep your arms by your side or do you throw your arms out to protect your body?

NCAA should fine Wake Forest.
Those kids stormed the court going 100mph. That shit was dangerous.

they beat #8 team and storm the court? wtf

Court storming was for beating nemesis/rival, but maybe more for most likely sealing a bid to the tournament...

The NCAA could help this situation by providing some cash to the schools to use strictly for courtside security. The onus would be on the schools for when/where to use it. Then, if the school neglects to provide a safe environment they risk fines and penalties that include forfeits of wins for repeated violations.

This is a plan that could work but the NCAA is most likely too uncaring and cheap to do it.

Court invasions can be ended permanently.

What Wake Forest administrators must do is use video evidence to identify the trespassers. Then, issue a press release disclosing the student court invaders by names and photos. In the same announcement, confirm the expulsion of these students.

When other universities agree to this new norm, the problem will be solved.

To be sure, when fans exit the seats to enter the playing field, the entertainment is fun to watch.

Here is my favorite - Tennessee beats Alabama.

Interesting choice to storm the court in a game where you’re 2.5 point favorites.

Storming the court is supposed to be a celebratory thing. The dudes running up to the circle that formed around Filipowski with their phones out yelling shit in their faces are just acting like dickheads.
JFC our fans dont know what rivalry means? If we beat #8 Seton Hall by 4, we wouldnt storm the court?

If you watch the replay every other Duke player hurries off the court except Flipowski.
Clueless, three of them were near the sideline guarding players when the whistle blew.The one that ran off was near the baseline where the rush was coming from, he would have been trampled by the way that WF fans came on the court. Filipowski was well away from them when the whistle blew. He was going to be engulfed no matter what he did based on his distance to the bench.

I get people don’t like Duke but stop making stuff up. First it’s he tried to trip the fan which is why he got hurt, now he still he didn’t hustle off. What’s going to be the cherry on top for our tinfoil hat crew?

Whats wrong with this?
Agree, from an ACC ex-pat. You have to know ACC culture to get this...

ETA, this is about what is wrong with wanting to storm the court after beating Duke (nothing is wrong with that).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT