ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 10 LONG ISLAND: Fending off the shark nips

The biggest games of the season last year Aundre Hyatt was on the bench and Oskar Palmquist took his minutes. That isn't me thinking his defense is bad....that is Coach Pike making that determination.
Come on now we are going to debate Hyatt and Oscar ? You are better than that FIG !

I think we have better offensive days ahead of us. Maybe it is a case of seeing what I want to see......I have seen a noticable difference in passing the 2 games Mag has been back. He makes the extra pass and so far it appears contagious.
Now you seeing the light. Mag makes everything better , spacing , rebounding , defense , freeing up Cliff both physically and mentally . The key going forward is whether we are going to see these lopsided rebounding games from our opponents or will that just be the bad stretch before Mag returned. Letting a team. get a second rebound and another shot and then a third rebound and shot is demoralizing and mentally will affect your offense as well. Wake Forest seems like a good example of this. Cliff has help on the glass and if Mag and Hyatt can normally rebound and Gavin finds a way to give us more than 1 per game and the guards help on the boards , we will win a lot of games and will be down to the wire in most of the others.

Its oskar
What did Pike do last year? He played Oskar over Hyatt.

Actually he didn’t play either of them much but regardless, that was a different situation. Paul is 6-6 . Cam is 6-4. It was those 2 on the court with Cliff and Caleb most of the time. So Oskar slid in and replaced Derek on occasion and Paul moved back to point. That’s really how it went down.

Rebounding takes a pretty big hit when you play any combination of 2 of Noah, Simpson and Davis. That’s why I say realistically - Hyatt, Mag and Cliff will play a lot together. You can’t have Oskar, Gavin or Austin Williams in combo with 2 of those smaller guards and expect to compete on the glass.

yes....I'll take the 333 sample size over 53.

In all seriousness.....you are touching on what can keep Hyatt on the floor. If he makes enough 3s, he makes the right decisions, rebounds adequately and doesn't have too many defensive lapses he is definitely the man.
Look at his stats. He improved year 1to 2, took a step back by 1.4% year 2 to 3, improved year 3 to 4 and year 4 to now. I would use his stats from last year and this year as an expectation for balance of year for 3 pt shooting as opposed to using 4 year old data.

He shot 30.6% last year
He’s going to play for his rebounding. Mag won’t play more than 30 minutes so Hyatt has to be in the game every second Mag isn’t. Then - Wolf isn’t a very good rebounder either so when Cliff gets his rest we’re going to need both Mag and Hyatt. In the end, it’s going to be hard for Hyatt to see less than 25 or so mpg. We really need him on the glass.

This comment seems kind of out of place in the context of this discussion. What point are you trying to make? it’s a given Mag would be a part of our best defensive line up. Why compare him to Hyatt?

Because there's a fascination that when Hyatt slumped badly at the end of last year and Oskar picked up some of his minutes happened, it's an indictment of Hyatt.......but when Mulcahy slumped badly for all of February and March and it took wayyyy too long to pull the plug on Mulcahy and go to Simpson, the season was lost......but we keep seeing Mulcahy and how he played last year, as some sort of net positive (which was very hit or miss or erratic at best).

I'd rather see acknowledgement of what's taking place so far this year and the team having 7-3 as a record, vs 6-4 last year.

If RU finishes at or with a worse record than last year, then we can discuss what did or didn't work well enough. All I can do is look at the actual results, not guesses or random efficiency stats, that don't actually translate to wins and losses.

We can and will play very good defense with the right lineups. I am not exaggerating when i say there is a steep drop off in D when Gavin is on there. Huge drop off with Hyatt too (not as steep).

Yesterday we made #6 look like Larry Bird. Take a look at his game logs. Guy is terrible. All year we have played our best basketball against “real teams” when we played our best defensive lineups

Our struggles defensively are all forward related. For the most part the guards have been good/great defensively.
Didn’t he launch a bunch of threes from 2 feet behind the line and hit? I’m pretty sure most of those would be considered good defensive outcomes by Pike.

Didn’t he launch a bunch of threes from 2 feet behind the line and hit? I’m pretty sure most of those would be considered good defensive outcomes by Pike.
Yes, after he made some from normal range. One was a good 6 feet beyond the arc.

I don't think Pike wants a guy 6 feet from the 3 point line unguarded after he has made a few from normal spots

If I told fans that RU is averaging the same amount of PPG as they did last year in the 1st 10 games, would fans believe that is true?? All I keep seeing is that we haven't made up for the losses in the backcourt, but the teams PPG is essentially the same.

If I told fans that pushing the tempo
do you think having the same ppg as last years bad offensive team, with a faster tempo is.. a good thing?

Reactions: bac2therac
I think Paul earned a bit more slack then Hyatt. Paul has put the team on his back for stretches over the past few years.

I do think Pike, if asked in private, would regret how long it took to pull the plug on Paul.

Yes, after he made some from normal range. One was a good 6 feet beyond the arc.

I don't think Pike wants a guy 6 feet from the 3 point line unguarded after he has made a few from normal spots
I think Pike would be perfectly happy letting him launch from there all game. The dude is 22/70 from three and that includes the 4/8 from our game.

do you think having the same ppg as last years bad offensive team, with a faster tempo is.. a good thing?
I would agree with this, but our adjusted “tempo” is only 2 possessions more this year (67.8 possessions per 40 minutes) than last year (65.7). You’re the stats guy - is this enough of an increase to undermine Hawk’s point that’s we’re scoring about as much as last year? (I don’t know, I’m just asking the question).

I would agree with this, but our adjusted “tempo” is only 2 possessions more this year (67.8 possessions per 40 minutes) than last year (65.7). You’re the stats guy - is this enough of an increase to undermine Hawk’s point that’s we’re scoring about as much as last year? (I don’t know, I’m just asking the question).
Not sure, but that wasn’t really my point. My point is just that last year’s team was not good on offense. So pointing out that this year’s team is worse (even if only slightly) doesn’t seem like a positive.

Reactions: bac2therac

Your really grasping at straws here, man. Again, you know I’m not crazy about Hyatt’s game, but picking at his defense in the Long Island game is just tacky (for lack of a better choice word). He grabbed 12 REBOUNDS and 3 blocks in the game. No personal fouls. Also 3 assists and no turnovers, but nevermind the offense as we’re talking about D. I’m just not understanding how you could complain about him missing a close out or two on a kid not known for 3 point shooting with the type of game he had overall.

Your really grasping at straws here, man. Again, you know I’m not crazy about Hyatt’s game, but picking at his defense in the Long Island game is just tacky (for lack of a better choice word). He grabbed 12 REBOUNDS and 3 blocks in the game. No personal fouls. Also 3 assists and no turnovers, but nevermind the offense as we’re talking about D. I’m just not understanding how you could complain about him missing a close out or two on a kid not known for 3 point shooting with the type of game he had overall.
Gavin was only guy, to me, that was a liability on D. Prrtty sure #6 went off with mostly Gavin defensing him

Flux brought play up and not me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT