ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 10 LONG ISLAND: Fending off the shark nips

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Not a fan of these kind of games against 300 plus NET schools while seeing a bunch of other Big 10 schools playing ranked squads. Not sure that will ever change with Pike. If you are going to play these type of teams you better wipe the floor with them. Make no mistake aboutt LIU was overmatched on looks alone, appearing to seem more like a high school team when compared to Rutgers. And yet for a split second at 62-55, this game got uncomfortably close. Rutgers ends up getting a 22 point in a game that got uncomfortably close for a minute or two. Ultimately RU would lean on their most experienced players to deliver a 21-6 run of the last 7 minutes to choke the Sharks and send them back underwater

Its not that the team came out lacking energy. I thought the effort was there defensively and the press wrecked havoc on LIU causing 7 turnovers in the first 7 minutes forcing LIU Coach Rod Strickland to use 2 timeouts in less than a minute. RU was up 15-4 and looked well on their way to one of those laughable 80-40 scores. Unfortunately the rest of the half was played just content on trading buckets with the Blackbirds...err Sharks. To me I think a bunch of those turnovers and points came so easy that they started to not respect their opponent. Rutgers better learn they are not as good as they think they are. For much of the rest of the first half, RU relied on Cliff for most of their offensive production. Cliff wound up with 17 in the first half. While there have been games that Cliff did not show up against inferior opponents. This game he did, but to me thats a double edged sword. Sure its great that you have a Cliff and he is producing an excellent half exploiting the opponent, on the other hand having to basically have Cliff bail out an offense that was getting out little of its smaller guards Defensively there definitely was a big dropoff in intensity on the defensive end. The RU straight up half court defense was slipping and it was too easy at times for LIU to convert. I said at halftime, LIU should have every right to go into the lockerroom down 41-30 thinking that they could win because they built some momentum and were playing RU even at that point.

As mentioned before the trio of J Mike, Noah and Derek didnt have a good first half. Disappointing a bit for J Mike because I wanted to see him build off the SHU game. Fortunatley for him he came out strong and maybe he got a pep talk from Pike at halftime. J Mike would score 8 of RU's first 12 points in the first 5 minutes in half. A very impressive stretch for him and RU up 14 looked like they were about to pull away. Then the old bugaboo came back. A hideous scoring funk, RU would score just 7 points in almost 7 minutes and would go 5 minutes without a fg with the lone point because scored on dubious T called on Ecker layup that cut the gap to 7. Now I didnt ever think RU would lose this game but at that point I think everyone me included would not be surprised. RU had stopped playing and became a comedy of errors wth brick and turnovers and bad shot selection whereas LIU was heating up and was clearly out playing Rutgers. Now that worry did not last long

RU responded and they responded emphatically to close out the game basically shutting LIU offense down while hitting timely shots. It was all about the experienced guys delivering when it mattered. Mag with 8, Hyatt with 6, Cliff with 6 After ridiculously moving away from giving Cliff the ball, RU finally went back to him and Cliff would respond. The dagger of the game that sealed the deal for me was a Derek pass to Mag which he beautiful drained for 3 putting RU up 69-57 and that effectively would break the Sharks hearts. Great to see Mag's play during that time on both ends. You can see what he means to our D when things are starting to click. Hyatt would finally connect on a pair of 3s while cleaning up on the boards....half of his 12 boards wear in the last 4-5 minute stretch.

The individual numbers for RU were impressive in the end. Cliff 12-15 fg, career high 25 points, 12 boards, 3 blocks....so dominant and yes he never should have taken that one 3. Hyatt was 5-9 fg, 12 points, 2-5 from 3, 12 boards and 3 assists. He sort of had a rough period but closed strong. Mag with 10 points, 4 boards, 3 assists, 2 blocks in just 24 minutes seems to have simply picked up where he left off. J Mike again delivering with that strong start to the 2nd half, cannot ask for more at this point, 5-11 fg, 12 points, 4 boards, 3 assists, 0 turnovers, 2 steals. Derek would once again struggle shooting but the big thing he is getting to the line and thats important for a team that often struggles to get good shots. Derek was the 5th player in double digit scoring with 10 on 2-7 fg, 4 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, just 1 turnover in 26 minutes.

As for the rest of the team, Noah was particular poor today, in fact he was downright awful and not in sync and thats too bad coming off of what he showed at SHU. Noah was 0-6 fg, 1-2 ft coming on a technical shot, 4 assists but 3 turnovers and a whopping 1 point in 24 minutes. Not sure what was going on there. Gavin I really liked his first half, made some nice moves to the hoop, should have an assist on a perfect pass to Cliff which ended up being a badly blown dunk. 2nd half Gavin was not good and it hurt the team. Missed all 4 of his shots and continues the struggle at the line making just 2-5. RU needed a scoring punch in that 2nd half and Gavin was off badly and did not produce. 3-9fg, 2-5 ft and 1 board in 21 minutes. I will say there were some other things in his game I liked, He had a couple of assists, 3 steals and a block. So those kind of things are an improvement. Wolf only got 11 minutes so writing on the wall now with Mag back. Hit both his shots 2-2 but just 1-3 ft and 3 boards. Role player doing his job. Oskar was particular horrible this game. I mean really bad. Only played 3 minutes but it was that bad, 2 turnovers one of which he would have had an easy layup, then turned it over and scored upon easily by the guy he was defending. No time at all for Chol and thats too bad but thats the kind of game it turned out to be.

In the end everything turned out okay, 22 point win at home, scoring over 80, much of the stat line looks good but come on. For one this is probably one of the worst free throw shooting teams I have ever seen at RU. 13-26 today will not cut it in Big 10 play and if you take Derek out its a woeful 7-20. J Mike needs to get better period since he will going there alot. Gavin...what is the problem here. One would never expect this but here we are and now its getting a bit mental I think. Wolf will never be a good free throw shooter. Mag 0-3 but willing to cut slack for now. I do like the team is getting to the line more this year. I do not like the team is having trouble converting.

3 point shooting, yeah 12-24 or whatever they did at SHU is fools gold. 4-20 today and 3 of those were actually later in the game. RU I think was 0-10 at one points. Total bricks at times from Hyatt, Derek and Gavin like not even close. To me there was too much reliance on taking them at points in the game. Almost as if there was no situational awareness. Alas I think its actually part of our offense. Shoot as many time as you want, it as if everyone has the greenlight by Pike.

So I did not know what to take from the SHU game. Certainly having Mag back is huge but he isnt going to automatically make RU a NCAA team. You see today the same inconsistencies from player to player game to game...even within in game are cropping up. Going 5 minutes without a field goal vs LIU is frightening to me given we had long droughts vs Illinois and Wake. Difference is while LIU is so bad that RU can overcome those droughts, most of the Big 10 will not be. Not sure there is an answer but the younger guys just becoming more consistent. I think RU left about 15 points off the table in the first half so finishing around the rim, converting in transition and making free throws is where they need to start. RU just makes it so hard for themselves at times. Like to see less one on one moves and more teamball and I think those last 7 minutes getting back to Cliff and then moving the ball for better shots, we did that so kudos to Pike for what happened during the under 8 timeout. The D has flashes of the old RU at times but still lacking and saw too many easy spots that LIU shooters were able to get to for open shots. Is it just a playing down to opponent thing? I do not know but it needs to get better. Some of the toughness I liked vs Seton Hall was missing today.

Crowd lulled to sleep so not very loud at all. Kudos though for 5500-6K showing up. Even our worst attended games are solid attendance given the opponent. Not sure what kind of crowd I expect at the Rock for a funky time and game for a non conference hoops game.

To me Mississippi State is a must win. Have to have that one quality non confernce win and cannot go 1-3 vs schools with a pulse. Would expect a better and more focused effort than today and does not hurt having a game experience there and I think its just going to be rough for Mississippi State flying up here for this game so close to Christmas. I would be surprised if RU does not win this game. Yet one thing is clear EVERYONE still needs to get better on this team if the post season goals are to be even within our grasp. The final score is nice and all but the details continue to be a bit on the messy side.

Some good and some bad

Nice day, smack dab in the middle of the day it felt like a chore going to the game

Good to see goos Cliff 2 days in a row (mag being back not a coincidence?)

Love seeing Hyatt making the extra pass and getting dirty on the DREB

The woeful foul shooting at the RAC is alarming because such a performance against B1G Ten teams will result in losses.The positive from this game was Cliff getting better positioning around the basket for dunks.The full court press was also very effective in the first half resulting in turnovers and easy baskets.Scoring droughts against even mediocre opposition is a ominous concern prior to league competition in January.

Some good and some bad

Nice day, smack dab in the middle of the day it felt like a chore going to the game

Good to see goos Cliff 2 days in a row (mag being back not a coincidence?)

Love seeing Hyatt making the extra pass and getting dirty on the DREB
by about 15 minutes in the 2nd half, i agree it was more like a chore.

mixed bag but I would rather being playing a top 25 team today

In terms of the J-Mike and Gavin FTs, the guy I sit next to at the RAC noticed that they tend to miss long.. I think 75% of their misses were just that. is it easier to just move back a few inches from the line or change your FT form?

Was at the game with my buddy and during warm ups, it looked like we were shooting at about 25% including many missed dunks and layups. He commented that I hope they will not carry this into the gangs but I think they did. After the game was over, I felt a little better thinking this just may have been one of those bad shooting days. 🤞

What program is...you play them and take your lumps and then watch the fruit grow

See Wisconsin and Michigan State
Exactly. I love Pike but absolutely hate that he loves to feast on cream puffs!

I continue to be confounded by the difficulty Gavin is having shooting free throws. For a kid who has such a pure stroke, this just makes no sense. So it has to be mental. Kid has the yips.

Hyatt played a very good all around game. He’s learning not to force things, and he’s playing unselfish. I think he has multiple assists in several consecutive games, and they’re usually really good dishes.

Mag’s 3-point shot looks really pure when he gets time to shoot. Last year I felt like it was sort of lucky if he hit a three, but now he seems comfortable shooting, and I think he can give us 33-35%. This is huge from the 4 spot, something Woolf obviously doesn’t give you.

I have never seen a player miss as many mid-range jumpers as Derek Simpson. It’s a shame, because he has a knack for creating space for himself and getting good looks, but he just misses the shots. Frustrating. Thank god he’s a good foul shooter.

Another solid all around game from JMike as our starting PG. Two games and averaging 11.5 ppg and 4.5 apg. And he plays the best defense of any of our guards.

I don’t take much from our inability to blow out LIU. We are who we are, which is a team that often struggles on the offensive end. If we hit 4 more threes to go 8-20 instead of 4-20, this is a 35 point blowout. We hit the shots against SHU, but we were off target tonight. I think only playing two games in the past 10 days makes the team rusty.

Not a fan of these kind of games against 300 plus NET schools while seeing a bunch of other Big 10 schools playing ranked squads. Not sure that will ever change with Pike. If you are going to play these type of teams you better wipe the floor with them. Make no mistake aboutt LIU was overmatched on looks alone, appearing to seem more like a high school team when compared to Rutgers. And yet for a split second at 62-55, this game got uncomfortably close. Rutgers ends up getting a 22 point in a game that got uncomfortably close for a minute or two. Ultimately RU would lean on their most experienced players to deliver a 21-6 run of the last 7 minutes to choke the Sharks and send them back underwater

Its not that the team came out lacking energy. I thought the effort was there defensively and the press wrecked havoc on LIU causing 7 turnovers in the first 7 minutes forcing LIU Coach Rod Strickland to use 2 timeouts in less than a minute. RU was up 15-4 and looked well on their way to one of those laughable 80-40 scores. Unfortunately the rest of the half was played just content on trading buckets with the Blackbirds...err Sharks. To me I think a bunch of those turnovers and points came so easy that they started to not respect their opponent. Rutgers better learn they are not as good as they think they are. For much of the rest of the first half, RU relied on Cliff for most of their offensive production. Cliff wound up with 17 in the first half. While there have been games that Cliff did not show up against inferior opponents. This game he did, but to me thats a double edged sword. Sure its great that you have a Cliff and he is producing an excellent half exploiting the opponent, on the other hand having to basically have Cliff bail out an offense that was getting out little of its smaller guards Defensively there definitely was a big dropoff in intensity on the defensive end. The RU straight up half court defense was slipping and it was too easy at times for LIU to convert. I said at halftime, LIU should have every right to go into the lockerroom down 41-30 thinking that they could win because they built some momentum and were playing RU even at that point.

As mentioned before the trio of J Mike, Noah and Derek didnt have a good first half. Disappointing a bit for J Mike because I wanted to see him build off the SHU game. Fortunatley for him he came out strong and maybe he got a pep talk from Pike at halftime. J Mike would score 8 of RU's first 12 points in the first 5 minutes in half. A very impressive stretch for him and RU up 14 looked like they were about to pull away. Then the old bugaboo came back. A hideous scoring funk, RU would score just 7 points in almost 7 minutes and would go 5 minutes without a fg with the lone point because scored on dubious T called on Ecker layup that cut the gap to 7. Now I didnt ever think RU would lose this game but at that point I think everyone me included would not be surprised. RU had stopped playing and became a comedy of errors wth brick and turnovers and bad shot selection whereas LIU was heating up and was clearly out playing Rutgers. Now that worry did not last long

RU responded and they responded emphatically to close out the game basically shutting LIU offense down while hitting timely shots. It was all about the experienced guys delivering when it mattered. Mag with 8, Hyatt with 6, Cliff with 6 After ridiculously moving away from giving Cliff the ball, RU finally went back to him and Cliff would respond. The dagger of the game that sealed the deal for me was a Derek pass to Mag which he beautiful drained for 3 putting RU up 69-57 and that effectively would break the Sharks hearts. Great to see Mag's play during that time on both ends. You can see what he means to our D when things are starting to click. Hyatt would finally connect on a pair of 3s while cleaning up on the boards....half of his 12 boards wear in the last 4-5 minute stretch.

The individual numbers for RU were impressive in the end. Cliff 12-15 fg, career high 25 points, 12 boards, 3 blocks....so dominant and yes he never should have taken that one 3. Hyatt was 5-9 fg, 12 points, 2-5 from 3, 12 boards and 3 assists. He sort of had a rough period but closed strong. Mag with 10 points, 4 boards, 3 assists, 2 blocks in just 24 minutes seems to have simply picked up where he left off. J Mike again delivering with that strong start to the 2nd half, cannot ask for more at this point, 5-11 fg, 12 points, 4 boards, 3 assists, 0 turnovers, 2 steals. Derek would once again struggle shooting but the big thing he is getting to the line and thats important for a team that often struggles to get good shots. Derek was the 5th player in double digit scoring with 10 on 2-7 fg, 4 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, just 1 turnover in 26 minutes.

As for the rest of the team, Noah was particular poor today, in fact he was downright awful and not in sync and thats too bad coming off of what he showed at SHU. Noah was 0-6 fg, 1-2 ft coming on a technical shot, 4 assists but 3 turnovers and a whopping 1 point in 24 minutes. Not sure what was going on there. Gavin I really liked his first half, made some nice moves to the hoop, should have an assist on a perfect pass to Cliff which ended up being a badly blown dunk. 2nd half Gavin was not good and it hurt the team. Missed all 4 of his shots and continues the struggle at the line making just 2-5. RU needed a scoring punch in that 2nd half and Gavin was off badly and did not produce. 3-9fg, 2-5 ft and 1 board in 21 minutes. I will say there were some other things in his game I liked, He had a couple of assists, 3 steals and a block. So those kind of things are an improvement. Wolf only got 11 minutes so writing on the wall now with Mag back. Hit both his shots 2-2 but just 1-3 ft and 3 boards. Role player doing his job. Oskar was particular horrible this game. I mean really bad. Only played 3 minutes but it was that bad, 2 turnovers one of which he would have had an easy layup, then turned it over and scored upon easily by the guy he was defending. No time at all for Chol and thats too bad but thats the kind of game it turned out to be.

In the end everything turned out okay, 22 point win at home, scoring over 80, much of the stat line looks good but come on. For one this is probably one of the worst free throw shooting teams I have ever seen at RU. 13-26 today will not cut it in Big 10 play and if you take Derek out its a woeful 7-20. J Mike needs to get better period since he will going there alot. Gavin...what is the problem here. One would never expect this but here we are and now its getting a bit mental I think. Wolf will never be a good free throw shooter. Mag 0-3 but willing to cut slack for now. I do like the team is getting to the line more this year. I do not like the team is having trouble converting.

3 point shooting, yeah 12-24 or whatever they did at SHU is fools gold. 4-20 today and 3 of those were actually later in the game. RU I think was 0-10 at one points. Total bricks at times from Hyatt, Derek and Gavin like not even close. To me there was too much reliance on taking them at points in the game. Almost as if there was no situational awareness. Alas I think its actually part of our offense. Shoot as many time as you want, it as if everyone has the greenlight by Pike.

So I did not know what to take from the SHU game. Certainly having Mag back is huge but he isnt going to automatically make RU a NCAA team. You see today the same inconsistencies from player to player game to game...even within in game are cropping up. Going 5 minutes without a field goal vs LIU is frightening to me given we had long droughts vs Illinois and Wake. Difference is while LIU is so bad that RU can overcome those droughts, most of the Big 10 will not be. Not sure there is an answer but the younger guys just becoming more consistent. I think RU left about 15 points off the table in the first half so finishing around the rim, converting in transition and making free throws is where they need to start. RU just makes it so hard for themselves at times. Like to see less one on one moves and more teamball and I think those last 7 minutes getting back to Cliff and then moving the ball for better shots, we did that so kudos to Pike for what happened during the under 8 timeout. The D has flashes of the old RU at times but still lacking and saw too many easy spots that LIU shooters were able to get to for open shots. Is it just a playing down to opponent thing? I do not know but it needs to get better. Some of the toughness I liked vs Seton Hall was missing today.

Crowd lulled to sleep so not very loud at all. Kudos though for 5500-6K showing up. Even our worst attended games are solid attendance given the opponent. Not sure what kind of crowd I expect at the Rock for a funky time and game for a non conference hoops game.

To me Mississippi State is a must win. Have to have that one quality non confernce win and cannot go 1-3 vs schools with a pulse. Would expect a better and more focused effort than today and does not hurt having a game experience there and I think its just going to be rough for Mississippi State flying up here for this game so close to Christmas. I would be surprised if RU does not win this game. Yet one thing is clear EVERYONE still needs to get better on this team if the post season goals are to be even within our grasp. The final score is nice and all but the details continue to be a bit on the messy side.
Everyone having the green light from three whenever they want continues to be a huge, huge problem - the Freeman syndrome.

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
Couple of things that I would like to note:

-Gavin I think will be a good free throw shooter in time. I agree with Nuts that he is a little quick with his timing.
-Gavin seemed to go away from the drives to the hoop in the 2nd half, which was working in the first half.
-Gavin did have some beautiful passes throughout the game. Several were not converted though.
-I thought Derek Simpson had an under the radar nice game. He is struggling from the mid-range distance, but I thought he made good decisions and is money from the line.
-J-Mike is playing at a very high level, especially for an under-the-radar recruit. He is flat-out not turning the ball over. He has something like 19 assists and 2 turnovers over the last 4 games. He is very poised, and he has vastly surpassed my expectations. I think he has a bright future.
-Mag really is the glue for this team. He just solidifies this team. Really excited to have him back, and it is no coincidence that Cliff is playing at a high level these last two games.
-Hyatt had such a nice game. Very much in control, didn't try to do too much, and really attacked the glass, especially late in the game.
-And last but certainly not least, Cliff. What a monster game. Even though he missed a couple of dunks, I like that he didn't try to dunk everything. He had a couple of nice finger rolls. Very nice game. Super happy to see Cliff back to being Cliff.

Wonderful weather day. Tent like last year would have been wonderful. SMH.

Like LIU’s new look. UCLA uniforms but works for East Coast. Share the L and U.
Good colors. Having said that who designed their logo? It’s awful. Stared it on the scoreboard and took my several looks to realize that was a shark. Focus on underbody of shark is silly. Sharks should have a great logo.

Sharks and Jets on Long Island. ;-)

For a game less than 10 days to x mas was a good RAC crowd.

Governor in the house. Regardless of your politics, he so supports RU Athletics. Count me a fan.

The best part of Mag returning is that he has awakened Cliff. He had a rough first half and was a non factor. 2nd half was fine.

I thought we were awful in first half. I hope Pike next year rethinks weeks off between games. We came out so cold shooting.
We didn’t hit a three into well into the 2nd half. As bad as that was foul shooting was ever worse.

JMike plays so well but going play himself on the bench if he can’t hit a foul shot. Still think Gavin weirdly rushes foul shots. Don’t know why. I would tell him two dribbles and a deep breath. Form is good. If JMike is our point guard he has to hit foul shots.

Thought Simpson provided a spark today and so good at the line.

Noah had a rough game. So did Oskar. Think both will play better.

Student shooting shots was quite good. Can he tutor JMike?

Thought we ran best fast breaks of year.
Gavin had two great passes to Cliff which he botched. Cliff has Myles syndrome. Every shot doesn’t have to be a dunk. Sometimes a layup is just as effective. Could have had close to 30 points.

Having said that, Cliff was great. Best game of year?

Having two guys get double doubles is a great sign and Hyatt had a great 2nd half.

Thought we played poorly in the first half but balanced scoring in 2nd half and 5?guys in double figures?

Thought ref call on LIU for taunting on center after dunk was too much home cooking. Why don’t we ever get those calls in B1G games?

Santa 🧑‍🎄 Claus Dance team was cool.

Woolfolk with dribble behind back on fast break was impressive.

I know point differentials still matter but still weirded out with Starters on court up by 20.
Hate somebody getting hurt in garbage time.

Another week off. We shall see. Hope better shooting stroke for MSU.

Good Jersey Mike’s cheesesteak today. ;-)

Nice review BAC.

1 other thing:

Mag went down (I think on a break?) at one point....and JUMPED up immediately....I think it was almost like he was waiting for that first "moment" to happen, needed it to happen, and was beyond thrilled to get it over with!

Mag is the MVP because he put the team on his back when it mattered most. LIU cut it to 7 and we were on the ropes just begging to let them win and Mag goes on a 5-0 run himself including the dagger 3 and that put it away

In terms of the J-Mike and Gavin FTs, the guy I sit next to at the RAC noticed that they tend to miss long.. I think 75% of their misses were just that. is it easier to just move back a few inches from the line or change your FT form?
I think at least with JMike I see he pushes the ball and shoots line drives at the FT line. I think putting arc on his shot would do wonders - but what do I know.

Reactions: RUDave_01
Biggest surprise of the season.....Gavin can't shoot free throws.
So true - I thought he was supposed to be the best shooter of the big recruits. I will say I see good things from him and think he will come into his own on this level eventually - the only question is when.

This team has potential and you see it in spurts like the beginning of the game and the last 7 minutes of the game. Where our offense clicks, we pass better , we cut better , we rebound better , we shoot better , we take better shots , the correct shots , we actually pass to our center where he can do damage. Our defensive intensity has the ability to ratchet up and caused turnovers and numerous shot clock and 10 second half court violations.

Then the other 30 minutes of the game play out. Terrible passes , no cutting , solely one on one , rebounding is lax letting one guy among 3 of our players get an offensive rebound , failure to identify and get out on the other team’s hot shooter and make him get off the 3 point line and put it on the floor. It is damn frustrating to watch.

The foul shooting is almost comically bad. We have good foul shooters but they all miss together . Derek was great from the stripe but everyone else missed and they shouldn’t. Noah, Gavin , JMike , Mag, Cliff , and Wolf all missed at least 1 if not more. They all have good form and nothing to suggest this one is missing but there goes another miss. We have played 10 games so far and missed 10-13 foul shots not to mention the front ends of 1 and 1’s in at least 7 games. Somehow this has to be fixed , with better concentration , return to fundamentals , more bending of knees ( Gavin’s issue ) , more arch ( JMike , Noah) .

Yesterday was a 22 point win at the end of the day , easily could have been a 40 point win , but there are still signs of lousy basketball rearing their ugly head. I was raving about Gavin before the year as he was supposed to be the best shooters in the country coming in , and 10 games in , he is not a knock down 3 point shooter , an 80% foul shooter , an automatic bucket. He has passed better these last few games and liked his float game yesterday but he is capable of so much more. He cannot continue to get 1 rebound a game and at this point it is all desire. He seems unsure of spacing offensively and defensively . I am expecting so much more and he hasn’t offered it yet but he is fully capable.

JMike is a good point guard who gets the team into sets and is a good passer but can also score . His take with the lefty layup was outstanding yesterday. Loved the way he shot the last 2 foul shots. He plays defense, fights over screens , hustles and will be a key guard going forward.

Derek had an okay game and I have had to reset my expectations that this will be his breakout season . He just doesn’t shoot it well enough. I have no problem with his taking 2’s over 3’s but I expect 4-7 at least from 8-14 feet not 2-7 and 1-7. His foul shooting is worth another 4-6 points a game. His defense has gotten better , those back to back steals and buckets were nice , but he doesn’t pass it well to set up the big guys. He should run pick and roll to perfection with Cliff every time and it just doesn’t happen.
Noah just had a bad game yesterday with 3 terrible passing turnovers coming off that good Seton Hall game and we are just not getting total consistency from him. 2 good games then a lousy one. Would be nice to eliminate the lousy ones for our 5th year grad transfer.
Mag is just tremendous in every aspect of the game , passing , rebounding , defensively , taking the right shot , toughness , shooting the 3 has improved a ton. Weird he missed his foul shots yesterday. But it is no coincidence we win when he is on the court for long stretches.

Aundre had one of his better games. I loved he let the game come to him and did not force it , he drove hard to the rim and actually converted his layups , double digit rebounding was tremendous and hopefully the consistency to come , his corner three can be money every time when set up properly .

Cliff was tremendous but there was no one capable of stopping him but unlike prior games, where the same scenario was there , he converted at a high rate around the rim despite the 2 blown dunks. He controlled the ball with a softer touch in close and it was great to see. I do not know if it is because Mag is back but it appears Cliff realizes he doesn’t have to get every rebound that mentally has helped him. I envision a 20 / 10 game most nights and really hope it continues against the Big 10 because there is no one in the league capable of stopping him. It is all in Cliff ‘s hands and our point guards.

Wolf was not impactful enough and Oscar had the worst 3 minutes of basketball that hopefully is not repeated this year.

This team still gives us hope because in my opinion they have shown us at times their upside capability but the lack of consistency 10 games in is very frustrating. Pike has to get the best out of each of them , as each player is so capable of so much more , more consistentcy, better shooting , betting rebounding , better passing , better defense .

I continue to be confounded by the difficulty Gavin is having shooting free throws. For a kid who has such a pure stroke, this just makes no sense. So it has to be mental. Kid has the yips.

Hyatt played a very good all around game. He’s learning not to force things, and he’s playing unselfish. I think he has multiple assists in several consecutive games, and they’re usually really good dishes.

Mag’s 3-point shot looks really pure when he gets time to shoot. Last year I felt like it was sort of lucky if he hit a three, but now he seems comfortable shooting, and I think he can give us 33-35%. This is huge from the 4 spot, something Woolf obviously doesn’t give you.

I have never seen a player miss as many mid-range jumpers as Derek Simpson. It’s a shame, because he has a knack for creating space for himself and getting good looks, but he just misses the shots. Frustrating. Thank god he’s a good foul shooter.

Another solid all around game from JMike as our starting PG. Two games and averaging 11.5 ppg and 4.5 apg. And he plays the best defense of any of our guards.

I don’t take much from our inability to blow out LIU. We are who we are, which is a team that often struggles on the offensive end. If we hit 4 more threes to go 8-20 instead of 4-20, this is a 35 point blowout. We hit the shots against SHU, but we were off target tonight. I think only playing two games in the past 10 days makes the team rusty.
I'm not confounded at all by his FT problems. He doesn't focus, he seem to just throw the ball up at the rim, doesn't have a defined pre-shot routine and doesn't take his time. There is no excuse for him to not be at 80%, at least 75%. Given how he executes a foul shot, not surprised he struggles.

Most people do NOT want to hear this...especially NJH (he won't agree, and that is OK).......I think Pike understands with this roster our best chance to win once B1G starts is winning 59-56 rock fights. Once A Williams is healthy he won't be able to resist playing him (at the expense og Gavin and Hyatt).

Reactions: bac2therac
I'm not confounded at all by his FT problems. He doesn't focus, he seem to just throw the ball up at the rim, doesn't have a defined pre-shot routine and doesn't take his time. There is no excuse for him to not be at 80%, at least 75%. Given how he executes a foul shot, not surprised he struggles.
He wants to get it over with and is afraid to miss.

Like many teams we’re generally better than we were in our first game, though still inconsistent.

A big plus for our continued improvement is of course the return of Mag. Fewer teams have guys of that impact coming back so our improved play will be accelerated more than most.

Then there is the possibility of getting JW on the court, hopefully by mid-January (my guess). Some other teams have 2-year transfers as well, so hopefully we’ll be one of them, and our guy will make a big impact.

We also have a very capable 2 guard in Austin who is nursing an injury right now. When healthy he can make an impact on both ends of the court.

Lastly, we have a 6’10 240lb backup center waiting for clearance to play this season. That kind of size, with even a bit of basketball prowess plus 5 fouls to give would be a nice thing to have against our B1G schedule.

So, bottom line is that we’re not yet the team we will be in February and March, with everything pointing in a positive direction.

Reactions: tm_nj
I am not sure a 3rd string center really moves the needle with this team.
Well, we haven’t really needed a “big” backup 5 yet, but that’s coming in the Big Ten schedule. If Ogbole can defend and bang and rebound for a few minutes each half — as a backup to Cliff and Woolf — that can certainly make an impact.

Reactions: tm_nj and BillyC80
Well, we haven’t really needed a “big” backup 5 yet, but that’s coming in the Big Ten schedule. If Ogbole can defend and bang and rebound for a few minutes each half — as a backup to Cliff and Woolf — that can certainly make an impact.

100%

How can anyone watch this team and not think a back up center of his size won’t be helpful come Big10 play!!?

Of course the above assumes he can give the team at least decent defense and rebounding. But I have not heard anything to the contrary about him. So IMHO there is no question he will help.

Most people do NOT want to hear this...especially NJH (he won't agree, and that is OK).......I think Pike understands with this roster our best chance to win once B1G starts is winning 59-56 rock fights. Once A Williams is healthy he won't be able to resist playing him (at the expense og Gavin and Hyatt).
Totally disagree. We do not play defense well enough in the half court to win 59-56 rock fights. We can press and turn over some teams and get clock violations and 10 second violations but that is not happening every game.
We need offensive Cliff with our point and 2 guards feeding him and running pick and roll properly and we need consistently offensively from the whole team but especially Gavin and Hyatt. They are capable of so much more on the court besides what’s on the box score. Mag stabilizes us and his offense is going to grow. Our foul shooting must improve. We should be in the 70’s most nights. That is how we will win. The BIG 10 is not a behemoth . We are just as capable any team in the league.

Totally disagree. We do not play defense well enough in the half court to win 59-56 rock fights. We can press and turn over some teams and get clock violations and 10 second violations but that is not happening every game.
We need offensive Cliff with our point and 2 guards feeding him and running pick and roll properly and we need consistently offensively from the whole team but especially Gavin and Hyatt. They are capable of so much more on the court besides what’s on the box score. Mag stabilizes us and his offense is going to grow. Our foul shooting must improve. We should be in the 70’s most nights. That is how we will win. The BIG 10 is not a behemoth . We are just as capable any team in the league.
We can and will play very good defense with the right lineups. I am not exaggerating when i say there is a steep drop off in D when Gavin is on there. Huge drop off with Hyatt too (not as steep).

Yesterday we made #6 look like Larry Bird. Take a look at his game logs. Guy is terrible. All year we have played our best basketball against “real teams” when we played our best defensive lineups

Our struggles defensively are all forward related. For the most part the guards have been good/great defensively.

This team has potential and you see it in spurts like the beginning of the game and the last 7 minutes of the game. Where our offense clicks, we pass better , we cut better , we rebound better , we shoot better , we take better shots , the correct shots , we actually pass to our center where he can do damage. Our defensive intensity has the ability to ratchet up and caused turnovers and numerous shot clock and 10 second half court violations.

Then the other 30 minutes of the game play out. Terrible passes , no cutting , solely one on one , rebounding is lax letting one guy among 3 of our players get an offensive rebound , failure to identify and get out on the other team’s hot shooter and make him get off the 3 point line and put it on the floor. It is damn frustrating to watch.

The foul shooting is almost comically bad. We have good foul shooters but they all miss together . Derek was great from the stripe but everyone else missed and they shouldn’t. Noah, Gavin , JMike , Mag, Cliff , and Wolf all missed at least 1 if not more. They all have good form and nothing to suggest this one is missing but there goes another miss. We have played 10 games so far and missed 10-13 foul shots not to mention the front ends of 1 and 1’s in at least 7 games. Somehow this has to be fixed , with better concentration , return to fundamentals , more bending of knees ( Gavin’s issue ) , more arch ( JMike , Noah) .

Yesterday was a 22 point win at the end of the day , easily could have been a 40 point win , but there are still signs of lousy basketball rearing their ugly head. I was raving about Gavin before the year as he was supposed to be the best shooters in the country coming in , and 10 games in , he is not a knock down 3 point shooter , an 80% foul shooter , an automatic bucket. He has passed better these last few games and liked his float game yesterday but he is capable of so much more. He cannot continue to get 1 rebound a game and at this point it is all desire. He seems unsure of spacing offensively and defensively . I am expecting so much more and he hasn’t offered it yet but he is fully capable.

JMike is a good point guard who gets the team into sets and is a good passer but can also score . His take with the lefty layup was outstanding yesterday. Loved the way he shot the last 2 foul shots. He plays defense, fights over screens , hustles and will be a key guard going forward.

Derek had an okay game and I have had to reset my expectations that this will be his breakout season . He just doesn’t shoot it well enough. I have no problem with his taking 2’s over 3’s but I expect 4-7 at least from 8-14 feet not 2-7 and 1-7. His foul shooting is worth another 4-6 points a game. His defense has gotten better , those back to back steals and buckets were nice , but he doesn’t pass it well to set up the big guys. He should run pick and roll to perfection with Cliff every time and it just doesn’t happen.
Noah just had a bad game yesterday with 3 terrible passing turnovers coming off that good Seton Hall game and we are just not getting total consistency from him. 2 good games then a lousy one. Would be nice to eliminate the lousy ones for our 5th year grad transfer.
Mag is just tremendous in every aspect of the game , passing , rebounding , defensively , taking the right shot , toughness , shooting the 3 has improved a ton. Weird he missed his foul shots yesterday. But it is no coincidence we win when he is on the court for long stretches.

Aundre had one of his better games. I loved he let the game come to him and did not force it , he drove hard to the rim and actually converted his layups , double digit rebounding was tremendous and hopefully the consistency to come , his corner three can be money every time when set up properly .

Cliff was tremendous but there was no one capable of stopping him but unlike prior games, where the same scenario was there , he converted at a high rate around the rim despite the 2 blown dunks. He controlled the ball with a softer touch in close and it was great to see. I do not know if it is because Mag is back but it appears Cliff realizes he doesn’t have to get every rebound that mentally has helped him. I envision a 20 / 10 game most nights and really hope it continues against the Big 10 because there is no one in the league capable of stopping him. It is all in Cliff ‘s hands and our point guards.

Wolf was not impactful enough and Oscar had the worst 3 minutes of basketball that hopefully is not repeated this year.

This team still gives us hope because in my opinion they have shown us at times their upside capability but the lack of consistency 10 games in is very frustrating. Pike has to get the best out of each of them , as each player is so capable of so much more , more consistentcy, better shooting , betting rebounding , better passing , better defense .
Very good summary and completely sums up why this team has been pissing me off so much. You see the potential and glimpses that this can be a good team then the inconsistency sets in across all facets of the game. Drives me nuts. And there is no excuse for the foul shooting. The guys have the form but they approach foul shooting like they can’t get off the line fast enough. Your hair is not on fire. Take a breath, a couple of dribbles, bend the knees and get some arc on the shot.

Reactions: goru7
We can and will play very good defense with the right lineups. I am not exaggerating when i say there is a steep drop off in D when Gavin is on there. Huge drop off with Hyatt too (not as steep).

Yesterday we made #6 look like Larry Bird. Take a look at his game logs. Guy is terrible. All year we have played our best basketball against “real teams” when we played our best defensive lineups

Our struggles defensively are all forward related. For the most part the guards have been good/great defensively.
Our guards height will be exposed in the half court against bigger BIG 10 guards . You will have to exist with Gavin and Aundre being covered by Mag and Cliff. There is no Caleb coming to the rescue . We will have to outscore teams. Our defense has a chance to be good but nothing elite and nothing close to defense played over the last 3 years.

Our guards height will be exposed in the half court against bigger BIG 10 guards . You will have to exist with Gavin and Aundre being covered by Mag and Cliff. There is no Caleb coming to the rescue . We will have to outscore teams. Our defense has a chance to be good but nothing elite and nothing close to defense played over the last 3 years.
So why would that make Pike not to put his best D lineups out there. Your logic says if we aren't going to be elite defensively than let's just be bad defensively.

I don't have + / - numbers but I know in almost every game against real competition we go backwards with our offensive lineup and if we make a run it is with our better defensive lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT