ADVERTISEMENT

Fulop attacks Rutgers Football to make point on Rutgers Strike.

Local boy couldn't get into RU, hence his animosity. "Fulop was born in Edison, New Jersey, to Jewish parents, Carmen and Arthur Fulop.[10] His parents were both born in Romania. His father grew up in Israel and was a sniper in the Golani Brigade during the Six-Day War.[11] He owned a delicatessen in Newark, New Jersey, where Fulop often worked, and his mother Carmen, the daughter of Holocaust survivors, worked in an immigration services office helping others gain citizenship. Through the sixth grade, Fulop attended Rabbi Pesach Raymon Yeshiva, an Orthodox Jewish elementary school in Highland Park, New Jersey, though he himself was not observant. For his last two years of elementary school and his first two years of high school, Fulop attended Solomon Schechter Day School of Essex and Union (now Golda Och Academy) in West Orange, New Jersey.[12][13][14]

Fulop graduated from J. P. Stevens High School. He went to Harpur College at Binghamton University where he graduated in 1999."

He played soccer at Bing...he probably went there because he couldn't have played for RU at that time.

It was definitely a dumb comment and will justifiably ding him in the primary. But he's not stupid, and has been a great mayor of JC.

Much more of JC is liveable and safe than it was in 2013. The Via program, new strong schools, major positive changes in the Heights and even Bergen-Lafeyette and Greenville...he has done very good things.

And IMO he's kept a lot of the issues that NYC has faced out of town, handled COVID way more adeptly than Hoboken...

You have to compare politicians (like football coaches) to the alternative...not to God. And he's better than Healey, better than Ravi, better than Adams, even if those are low bars to cross.

The question is whether he'll be better than anyone else in the race. And Jack the Whack has never supported RU in anyway. Hopefully Mayor Fulop apologizes.

For those that stand to benefit from gentrification.

And admittedly I do...I own here.

That said...there have been a ton of benefits for lower and middle class folks, including:

- Opening new and strong schools (Infinity Institute is already a top NJ HS)

- Creating the Via program for $2.50 rides from PT deserts

- New program for guaranteed free counsel in eviction cases

- Crime down (and doing way better than NYC)

- Lots of affordable housing going up

The fact is once COVID hit, JC became one of the top cities for those leaving NYC. And there were/are a lot of benefits to that (eg, everything here didn't close and the streets were never totally empty) but that did drive up costs. It is not an easy balancing act. And with remote work being prevalent in white collar industries that are well represented in the population here, I think it's probably as good as it could be.

Fulop is out in JC/Hoboken all the time. I've run into him at the supermarket. He attends absolutely everything. If he wanted, he totally could. But I doubt he will.
If I saw fulop in person I would tell him to his face to not be a cuck getting on his knees for the teachers union and stooping to rip rutgers football.

I actually think he's been a good mayor and a GREAT one by democrat standards. He's not a complete looney bin and there's not many dems left out there who arent off the reservation

For those that stand to benefit from gentrification.
There is nothing wrong with "gentrification" which literally just means businesses, money and high quality housing are being brought to an area.

Those against "gentrification" are usually those in favor of crime and perpetual poverty.

Going to SUNY-Binghamton is not proof he couldn't get into Rutgers. Binghamton's SAT range is actually higher. Yes, Fulop is wrong, but let's keep ourselves in the realm of fact.
Here's a realm of fact for ya, He damn well isn't getting my vote.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Here's a realm of fact for ya, He damn well isn't getting my vote.
I'd have no problem with him being the dem candidate. He's a moderate and there's not a lot of moderate dems out there. I'd take Jack over him but there are much much much worse dems alternatives to fulop.

If I saw fulop in person I would tell him to his face to not be a cuck getting on his knees for the teachers union and stooping to rip rutgers football.

I actually think he's been a good mayor and a GREAT one by democrat standards. He's not a complete looney bin and there's not many dems left out there who arent off the reservation
Might as well be a cuck for the developers who have built on every inch of open space in Downtown, Journal Square, West Side and is now going into Greenville.

There is nothing wrong with "gentrification" which literally just means businesses, money and high quality housing are being brought to an area.

Those against "gentrification" are usually those in favor of crime and perpetual poverty.
Sometimes those against gentrification though don't like how bland and monotonous it makes neighborhoods. Oh great another chi chi shoe boutique! More yuppies who go to bed early and spend all day on an electronic device! Can't have enough of those in what used to be an interesting neighborhood!

Might as well be a cuck for the developers who have built on every inch of open space in Downtown, Journal Square, West Side and is now going into Greenville.
Those are good things and beneficial to jc. As i said, hes been a very good mayor

Sometimes those against gentrification though don't like how bland and monotonous it makes neighborhoods. Oh great another chi chi shoe boutique! More yuppies who go to bed early and spend all day on an electronic device! Can't have enough of those in what used to be an interesting neighborhood!
And then people priced out would move to areas further away and build up their culture and lives there. Those areas would then become more attractive, driving more capital investment down the line and these folks who moved there and settled first and bought reap the benefits of the appreciation when they cash out.

This is why I always say rent control is racist. Its forces mostly minorities to stay in low rent apartments and never build up net worth and equity of homeownership. Thered be nothing wrong with making rent control illegal and those people then moving to less expensive parts of NJ or other places in the US

And then people priced out would move to areas further away and build up their culture and lives there. Those areas would then become more attractive, driving more capital investment down the line and these folks who moved there and settled first and bought reap the benefits of the appreciation when they cash out.

This is why I always say rent control is racist. Its forces mostly minorities to stay in low rent apartments and never build up net worth and equity of homeownership. Thered be nothing wrong with making rent control illegal and those people then moving to less expensive parts of NJ or other places in the US
What happens is the people just get dispersed. They don't collect somewhere else. On a larger scale, what happens is a place like Manhattan loses interesting neighborhoods and becomes vegan restaurants and boutiques from the upper east side to the lower west side, a version of monochromatic suburbia. Many people don't care but others do. At some point, that which makes a city interesting, like nightlife and ethnic neighborhoods disappears. You kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

Or the NYC yuppies who took over a gentrified area go to the $7 million renovated “pedestrian walk way,” where they party and drink all night either to get into bar fights in the 10-15 establishments or 💩 and 🚽 all over that $7 million walkway.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Those are good things and beneficial to jc. As i said, hes been a very good mayor
Yeah, he’s front and center for every little thing in Downtown but ignores in trying to fix the problems that’s in the neighborhoods below Communipaw. Hell, city hall changed the way they were posting their crime stats a couple years ago when it wasn’t to their liking:

Reactions: IL Lusciato

Spoken like a true developer, looking to justify breaking up long established neighborhoods only for to make money.

What happens is the people just get dispersed. They don't collect somewhere else. On a larger scale, what happens is a place like Manhattan loses interesting neighborhoods and becomes vegan restaurants and boutiques from the upper east side to the lower west side, a version of monochromatic suburbia. Many people don't care but others do. At some point, that which makes a city interesting, like nightlife and ethnic neighborhoods disappears. You kill the goose that laid the golden egg.
They dont need to all go to one spot when they move. Thats the beauty of this country. They go anywhere and import their customs, culture, nightlife, ethnicity in other areas. Bring diversity and different attributes to areas that otherwise wouldnt have it. And ultimately they have a highly quality of life.

The anti-gentrification crowd truly is a pro poverty crowd

Spoken like a true developer, looking to justify breaking up long established neighborhoods only for to make money.
breaking up neighborhoods? Spoken like a true nimby on your behalf here.

I personally believe bringing jobs, investment, development and prosperity to areas is a good thing. Call me crazy tho.

And if people live there, its GREAT! Their property value shoots up and they sell and reap the rewards of the wealth theyve gained.

If theyre renting and now cant afford to buy, then move. Heres a perfect example. Waco, Texas. Can get year round sports, biggest man made wave pool to surf year round, and short drive to Dallas and Austin. New construction walking distance to downtown is $225K with about $2500/yr property taxes. Better than living in a filthy rental in greenville jc https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1516-Homan-Ave-Waco-TX-76707/97691592_zpid/

Too bad. I generally found him to be a pretty good and logical mayor. Thought for sure he would be the next governor. Looks like his campaign is off to an awful start. Long way to go.

Didn’t NJCU just go through a myriad of issues including reduction of staff and almost not qualifying for accreditation?

Last edited:
Too bad. I generally found him to be a pretty good and logical mayor. Thought for sure he would be the next governor. Looks like his campaign is off to an awful start. Long way to go.

Didn’t NJCU just go through a myriad of issues including dedication of staff and almost not qualifying for accreditation?
I think we live in a bubble here haha. Not alot of people in NJ care that he ripped RU football.

Reactions: RU Cheese
interrupting? LOL

I'm of the belief that it's the norm to cheer for your teams during the quiet parts of the anthem. Rutgers fans apparently don't get out to other sporting events much. I grew up going to zero basketball games and all hockey games in the winter time. And it's the norm in hockey to yell during the quiet parts. "Lets go Rangers" or "**** (insert opposing teams name/potvin/crosby)".

Get to a hockey game, much better atmosphere than bball

Any sporting event in and around Baltimore you will hear the whole crowd chant the famous ‘OH!’ During the ‘Oh say does that star bangled….’ during the NA. Naturally to support the Orioles but again, it’s taken a life of its own and every ravens or UMD basketball/football game it is very audible

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Any sporting event in and around Baltimore you will hear the whole crowd chant the famous ‘OH!’ During the ‘Oh say does that star bangled….’ during the NA. Naturally to support the Orioles but again, it’s taken a life of its own and every ravens or UMD basketball/football game it is very audible
Yes, that’s true. And a little different than yelling Seton Hall sucks!

Agree. It was a dumb comment but the guy served his country and he's been a pretty good mayor.
While I respect his service, that doesn’t give him a pass that allows him to spew false information and throw the students of his state university under the bus. And yes, I would tell that to his face and plan to if I ever meet him. He is in a position of power and authority, and should act like a statesman if ever intends to become governor. He should apologize for his statement.

While I respect his service, that doesn’t give him a pass that allows him to spew false information and throw the students of his state university under the bus. And yes, I would tell that to his face and plan to if I ever meet him. He is in a position of power and authority, and should act like a statesman if ever intends to become governor. He should apologize for his statement.
What false info did he spew?

Reactions: Fat Koko
Fulop is out in JC/Hoboken all the time. I've run into him at the supermarket. He attends absolutely everything. If he wanted, he totally could. But I doubt he will.

Maybe he's a good guy, but why all the hate towards Rutgers football? It just shows how much damage the Star Liar is doing. If you bump into him again, please praise him for all the good he's done for JC, but kindly set the record straight on Rutgers football. It not only makes a profit and pays for other sports, but is also a huge economic engine for NJ.

I would have heard him out before. Won’t now. Not willing to go back to a Christie Notre Dame/UDel/ABR Governor.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Maybe he's a good guy, but why all the hate towards Rutgers football? It just shows how much damage the Star Liar is doing. If you bump into him again, please praise him for all the good he's done for JC, but kindly set the record straight on Rutgers football. It not only makes a profit and pays for other sports, but is also a huge economic engine for NJ.
No one cares about the profit. It’s about winning and him calling us “below average” is kinda cute

breaking up neighborhoods? Spoken like a true nimby on your behalf here.

I personally believe bringing jobs, investment, development and prosperity to areas is a good thing. Call me crazy tho.

And if people live there, its GREAT! Their property value shoots up and they sell and reap the rewards of the wealth theyve gained.

If theyre renting and now cant afford to buy, then move. Heres a perfect example. Waco, Texas. Can get year round sports, biggest man made wave pool to surf year round, and short drive to Dallas and Austin. New construction walking distance to downtown is $225K with about $2500/yr property taxes. Better than living in a filthy rental in greenville jc https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1516-Homan-Ave-Waco-TX-76707/97691592_zpid/
How many people getting priced out of JC are moving to Waco, fkn Texas to surf artificial waves?

Yeah he was talking out of his 🫏 with that Waco comment lol
I use waco because i was there a couple years ago and brand new construction was $80K. It didnt make sense to me haha. Here was the airbnb i stayed in. https://abnb.me/32hupqE8Wyb

But anyway, more people should move to texas. No state income taxes, jobs galore, great cost of living, great quality of life.

Fulop is likely parroting talking points of special interests whose support he seeks, clumsily. Let's see if his primary opponents seize on Fulop's Rutgers comments. I doubt it. Rutgers football isn't on the top 100 list of issues NJ voters consider.

Describing Rutgers football as "below average" is an accurate statement, let's face it. The team's last winning record was in 2015. Greg's record at Rutgers is 80-89. Greg lovers respond Greg inherited losing teams. He did. So what? Most new coaches replace a coach fired for losing.

NJ teachers' unions, and by extension politicians like Fulop hoping to exchange influence for their $$, will continue to hit Rutgers football. Could this have implications for Greg's $$? Greg is the lowest paid coach in the 14-team B1G, level with Maryland's coach who humiliated Greg 37-0 in Greg's most recent game.

Soon, Greg will soon be asking Pat for a new contract. Greg likely demands the B1G median, which is several million more than the $4 million Greg currently earns. Pat and Holloway will be in a tricky position when this happens.

Fulop's most notable success in Jersey City is his ability to issue permits for new housing, continuing the pro-housing policy of his predecessors. Until Lefrak came to Newport, Jersey City's housing stock was possibly the most decrepit in the country. NJ's top apartment developers complement the Fulop team's ability to administer building approvals in the city. Jersey City is light years better at this than other NJ cities and suburbs, which are equally corrupt and far less competent.

Ground truth: Maybe If we actually had a few respectable seasons in a row, we wouldn't be the target of such criticism. We open ourselves up to this crap due to poor thought leadership and even worse hiring decisions with respect to our football program. These hyperbolic Twitter comments are not where our problems originate.

Reactions: Randal7
Yeah he was talking out of his 🫏 with that Waco comment lol
To some people Neighborhoods and cities are interchangeable. Hence, they don't get why some people want to stop a Neighborhood from changing.

Ground truth: Maybe If we actually had a few respectable seasons in a row, we wouldn't be the target of such criticism. We open ourselves up to this crap due to poor thought leadership and even worse hiring decisions with respect to our football program. These hyperbolic Twitter comments are not where our problems originate.
Ground Truth: You’re a Penn state fan pretending to be a Rutgers fan… you are the literal definition of a troll. You obviously live a sad existence with your need to come to this board and pretend to be someone you aren’t while trying to rile up Rutgers fans.👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT