ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW, RU was invited but turned down CBI

A big State University and member of a power conference is worried about money.Fans now know why its been decades since the last NCAA bid.
The state university didn’t say that. A poster did. This tournament is a joke. We are a Big Ten program and acted like it and didn’t accept an invite.

Reactions: gregkoko
I just totally disagree. So we draw 4500 for eastern michigan on a cold wednesday night in november but we couldn't draw 4k for central michigan, grand canyon or stony brook? You know they would've given us stony brook. In fact, if our draw was stony brook im going to say attendance would be closer to the 4500-5000 mark.
No chance.

Glad we turned it down. This is pretty much the equivalent of the Independence Bowl.

I just totally disagree. So we draw 4500 for eastern michigan on a cold wednesday night in november but we couldn't draw 4k for central michigan, grand canyon or stony brook? You know they would've given us stony brook. In fact, if our draw was stony brook im going to say attendance would be closer to the 4500-5000 mark.

Remember that Rutgers is on spring break (this week) when you do your numbers. The student section would be empty. I think 2k would be the max in the RAC for these games.

Also (no inside info here) Pike might have given the team the option of a) going home for break or b) playing in the CBI.

If your worried about getting a black eye then that's a black eye in itself. I wanted them to play and use this as a springboard into next season!!!!

stop it.. those ticket sales for Eastern Michigan....that is bought and paid for, not two days advance with school on break and playing Bumblebee State in a meaningless game

you are so off the mark with attendence figures, its the CBI and we are 14-17, you are vastly overestimating the interest in watching RU play schools worse than any other Big 10 schools we faced at home.
I like Kyk but bac has been around way longer and knows what he’s talking about. Check the NIT attendance figures in 1990, 1992 1999. 2002 and 2004. Not real good. CBI would be far worse. Ticket sales in very short notice has never been a good recipe

If that had decided to accept and were able to fund it, I think they should play the games at the Barn. At least a small crowd doesn't look as small there, and you might get some of us old timers to go just for nostalgia sake. Don't forget that's where the Final Four team played their home games.

The fan in me would have liked to see them play, and a young team can always use the practice. Maybe the RU spring break should be earlier so if we get NIT or CBI game at least the students are around.

We still talking about this stupid CBI? Let's get back to talking about more important off-season topics like our chances of landing the services of that rising 8th grader who just tweeted that RU is in his Top 33 1/3 schools.

At this point our team needs to rest not playing another game. We were really spent for the B1G Tourney. Plus it wouldn't prove much by beating an unknown and the way we were playing toward the end there is no guarantee we would win the first game.
Wait until next year.

Reactions: ancienthooper
Glad we turned it down. This is pretty much the equivalent of the Independence Bowl.

----
At the time the independence bowl was an insult for the season we had. Believe the opponent would have been McNeese state

As time went on the independence bowl got a bit more recognition and looking back at it years later, people would not have considered it as bad as it looked at that time.

I did support not going, as did the university and team

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal_2RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT