ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 24 WISCONSIN: Winning

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
How about that? Does this team close or what!!!! Arguably Steve Pikiell's biggest win ever at the helm of the Scarlet Knights. Yes IMO this eclipses the Purdue win given how it was done and that it was on the road. I say every game recap, Rutgers would be favorite to win the Big 10 if every game was a the RAC. On the road it was more like a nightmare. Whether it was not being able to come down off the high of a previous win or just a thinking that they could turn it on when they wanted to, Rutgers just looked raggedy and rudderless all year long on the road. At Wisconsin, Rutgers biggest obstacle was going to be overcoming themselves and their road demons. But maybe those previous incarnations of Rutgers just needed some time to become complete the growth from an ugly duckling to a swan. They say things are always the darkest before the dawn. Down 24 at Northwestern headed to a sub 500 season and that 2nd half even in defeat was the turning point. The last 3 and half games have shown that Rutgers have transformed themselves into something that Pikiell knew they could be. The hunger to win and more impressively the hunger to close are not one offs. This team just beat 3 straight ranked opponents. Rutgers did not win because their opponents had off nights. Rutgers won because they were/are the better teams. Rutgers is on the cusp of something special right now. It is still one game at a time and it has to be given Rutgers profile now. Losing teams lose, winning teams win, winning teams make plays.

I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
And I don't intend on losing again

The last 10 minutes was all about Rutgers basketball asserting its will and castrasting the Badgers. Check this out....RU was down 56-55 with 10:07.....for the next 9 and a half minutes would outscore the Badgers 15-4. including a critical 11-0 run from the 4 and half minute mark. They say its hard to kill honey badgers but RU figured the best way to do it was just wack them in the head repeatedly. Just like vs Ohio State, Rutgers tuned their defense up to another level. RU was basically denying touches to Wahl inside and forcing everything outside for Wisky. There was absolutely no rhythm in the Badger offense and they crumbled when faced with the increased RU pressure. A 2-13 stretch for the Badgers including forcing them to shoot 6 treys, 4 alone by Davidson. The smug prick came up very small today in a big spot. RU themselves were struggling to score for a stretch there. Davidson was playing hero ball at a time where Wisky could have taken control. Instead RU kept fighting and then did exactly what is is now being their calling card....CLOSING. Paul Mulcahy who was sort of quiet and tentative for much of the game jump started the offense and away Rutgers went. Paul save the day with a much needed floater that went in and then fouled it up with a 3 off a Geo steal and pass in transition that put RU up 62-60. Up to this point, I thought Cliff had not been having a good game at all. Wahl simply abused him in the first half and Wisky was doing a good job on the boards. However the next sequence of events had me singing THAT'S AMOURE! Cliff came up with what I think was defensive series of the game. Somehow denying Wahl a layup and then fighting with all will for that board. Pike would call a timeout to set up a play for Geo which was a miss but Cliff cleaned it up and was fouled going up. Cliff hit both free throws and then delivered a dunk on a patented Paul to Cliff special which put RU up 66-60 and I think everyone could feel this one with about 90 seconds left. And Paul was also responsible for that monster poke away just prior that Ron picked up. What a series there. Caleb has to be singled out for his defense. He negated Davis from getting into any groove then later could be seen flying all over the court going after loose balls. 6 freaking steals today are you kidding me!!!! There is not one player in the Big 10 that plays better D than Caleb. The first half was all about Ron and Geo making shots a high clip. 25 points in the first half, they were both locked in right from the get go with their shot. They were everything to Rutgers. Fittingly enough it was the other 3 starters...Paul, Caleb and Cliff who stepped up in crunch time allowing Ron to close the game at the line. Another true team effort.

To actually think RU wins this game even as Harper hit only 2 fg in the 2nd half and Geo did not score. How is that possible. Well its because this team has taken that necessary leap forward where the entire lineup is on the same page. The ability to withstand dry spells on the road by working hard on defense and sticking to the gameplan on offense. How about foul shooting....16-18 today, RU making a concerted effort to try and draw fouls. That is what a smart well coached team looks like. Rutgers is also getting critical key contributions from the bench. Pikiell has become masterful in his juggling of the rotation. Just enough from the bench but not asking too much. The bench is responding with restraint in ways we never thought possible. Mag 13 minutes today and playing under control had some productive minutes in the early part of the game. Reiber had a beautiful lay in the 2nd half. Miller 9 minutes out there and crunch time minutes there as well as Pike swapped him in and out for Geo who had 4 fouls. It wasnt their day to be key offensive contributors. They were there for minutes and for effort. A perfect use of the bench and role players. Not playing Hyatt who seemed not up to playing a discipline kind of ball that RU would need to play today another smart move by Pike. Call him a Master Socerer at this point but Pikiell has set this team up for its success its enjoying right now.

The one game at a time mantra still holds true. You are only as good as your last win. RU is 3-0 against ranked team in its gauntlet of playing 6 ranked teams in 7 games. An NCAA tournament bid is well within sight now. However still work to be done. With Illinois and a trip to Purdue and Michigan left on the docket, Rutgers has to continue to find ways to win more games one at a time. Plus just because RU won at Wisconsin does not mean they will do it at the RAC. Seen alot of splits this year especially with the road team winning. The resume is now willing but its not complete. Rutgers overcame one mental challenge, now a new one crops up. Rutgers cannot get caught up in anything other then next man up and that is Illinois. Its a tough challenge. However RU is not the same team that was hammered at Illinois and Geo did not play that game. The atmosphere at the RAC vs Illinois will be sheer delirium. Its amazing how each successive game becomes bigger than the one before. Incredible high stakes right now for the basketball program who have brought themselves back from the cliff of the edge of the obscurity to the brink of a NCAA tournament. Don't look now but here comes Rutgers.

One day, I was on the ground
When I needed a hand
Then it couldn't be found
I was so far down that I couldn't get up
You know and one day I was one of life's losers
Even my friends were my accusers
And in my head, I lost before I begun
I had a dream but it turned to dust
And what I thought was love
That must've been lust
I was living in style
When the walls fell in
When I played my hand
I looked like a joker
Turn around, fate must have woke her
'Cause lady luck she was waiting outside the door
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
Too bad it belonged to me
It was the wrong time and not meant to be
Took a long time and I'm new born now
I can see the day that I bleed for
And if it's agreed there's a need
To play the game and to win again
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning

Incredible game. I thought both teams played well, except Davison, but overall great game. We were in control the whole time and were the better team. Defense was excellent and ball movement on offense was great.

What a week.

It's a great matchup for Rutgers. Caleb is Davis's hardest matchup of the year and they don't have many other playmakers. Sweep Wisconsin.

"To actually think RU wins this game even as Harper hit only 2 fg in the 2nd half and Geo did not score"

Previously that would mean blow out.

Bench not playing a lot of minutes but everyone making a play or two in limited minutes is big. Thought Oskar minutes should have went to Dean.

Paul aggressive changes the team. Cliff has improved as well. Different team. Scary team.

Nice write-up as usual. One game at a time is still so important here and we're playing some really good teams, so to get even 2 wins won't be simple and 3 will be pretty hard, especially if we lapse a bit, which wouldn't be a surprise, as it's hard to keep up this level of play indefinitely. But I can't wait to see the rest of the season and after the last 3 games, in particular, we know we can win every game left if we keep playing like we have been: defensive intensity and teamwork, along with offensive efficiency and teamwork.

By the way, I'd like to hear more about this part of the recap: "Reiber had a beautiful lay in the 2nd half."

Very underrated song!! Well done!
Incredible! Just hope we don’t get big heads and stay hungry.
Illinois will be tough. Hope RAC is incredible!

The RAC needs to be incredible from before the opening tap! Rattle the Illini early and often!

I was in person at the MSU and OSU and watched today and there is no other way to say it about all three wins: WE BROKE THEIR WILL down the stretch and the other teams didn't know what to do when they couldn't break through our late game D and they folded like a house of cards.

Really a terrific win today but not sure I am ranking it higher than the Purdue game. I think we played better and the opponent was better but the stakes were higher than today. Unfortunately, this team still has more work to do to get back to such a meaningful game.

How about that? Does this team close or what!!!! Arguably Steve Pikiell's biggest win ever at the helm of the Scarlet Knights. Yes IMO this eclipses the Purdue win given how it was done and that it was on the road. I say every game recap, Rutgers would be favorite to win the Big 10 if every game was a the RAC. On the road it was more like a nightmare. Whether it was not being able to come down off the high of a previous win or just a thinking that they could turn it on when they wanted to, Rutgers just looked raggedy and rudderless all year long on the road. At Wisconsin, Rutgers biggest obstacle was going to be overcoming themselves and their road demons. But maybe those previous incarnations of Rutgers just needed some time to become complete the growth from an ugly duckling to a swan. They say things are always the darkest before the dawn. Down 24 at Northwestern headed to a sub 500 season and that 2nd half even in defeat was the turning point. The last 3 and half games have shown that Rutgers have transformed themselves into something that Pikiell knew they could be. The hunger to win and more impressively the hunger to close are not one offs. This team just beat 3 straight ranked opponents. Rutgers did not win because their opponents had off nights. Rutgers won because they were/are the better teams. Rutgers is on the cusp of something special right now. It is still one game at a time and it has to be given Rutgers profile now. Losing teams lose, winning teams win, winning teams make plays.

I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning

The last 10 minutes was all about Rutgers basketball asserting its will and castrasting the Badgers. Check this out....RU was down 56-55 with 10:07.....for the next 9 and a half minutes would outscore the Badgers 15-4. including a critical 11-0 run from the 4 and half minute mark. They say its hard to kill honey badgers but RU figured the best way to do it was just wack them in the head repeatedly. Just like vs Ohio State, Rutgers tuned their defense up to another level. RU was basically denying touches to Wahl inside and forcing everything outside for Wisky. There was absolutely no rhythm in the Badger offense and they crumbled when faced with the increased RU pressure. A 2-13 stretch for the Badgers including forcing them to shoot 6 treys, 4 alone by Davidson. The smug prick came up very small today in a big spot. RU themselves were struggling to score for a stretch there. Davidson was playing hero ball at a time where Wisky could have taken control. Instead RU kept fighting and then did exactly what is is now being their calling card....CLOSING. Paul Mulcahy who was sort of quiet and tentative for much of the game jump started the offense and away Rutgers went. Paul save the day with a much needed floater that went in and then fouled it up with a 3 off a Geo steal and pass in transition that put RU up 62-60. Up to this point, I thought Cliff had not been having a good game at all. Wahl simply abused him in the first half and Wisky was doing a good job on the boards. However the next sequence of events had me singing THAT'S AMOURE! Cliff came up with what I think was defensive series of the game. Somehow denying Wahl a layup and then fighting with all will for that board. Pike would call a timeout to set up a play for Geo which was a miss but Cliff cleaned it up and was fouled going up. Cliff hit both free throws and then delivered a dunk on a patented Paul to Cliff special which put RU up 66-60 and I think everyone could feel this one with about 90 seconds left. And Paul was also responsible for that monster poke away just prior that Ron picked up. What a series there. Caleb has to be singled out for his defense. He negated Davis from getting into any groove then later could be seen flying all over the court going after loose balls. 6 freaking steals today are you kidding me!!!! There is not one player in the Big 10 that plays better D than Caleb. The first half was all about Ron and Geo making shots a high clip. 25 points in the first half, they were both locked in right from the get go with their shot. They were everything to Rutgers. Fittingly enough it was the other 3 starters...Paul, Caleb and Cliff who stepped up in crunch time allowing Ron to close the game at the line. Another true team effort.

To actually think RU wins this game even as Harper hit only 2 fg in the 2nd half and Geo did not score. How is that possible. Well its because this team has taken that necessary leap forward where the entire lineup is on the same page. The ability to withstand dry spells on the road by working hard on defense and sticking to the gameplan on offense. How about foul shooting....16-18 today, RU making a concerted effort to try and draw fouls. That is what a smart well coached team looks like. Rutgers is also getting critical key contributions from the bench. Pikiell has become masterful in his juggling of the rotation. Just enough from the bench but not asking too much. The bench is responding with restraint in ways we never thought possible. Mag 13 minutes today and playing under control had some productive minutes in the early part of the game. Reiber had a beautiful lay in the 2nd half. Miller 9 minutes out there and crunch time minutes there as well as Pike swapped him in and out for Geo who had 4 fouls. It wasnt their day to be key offensive contributors. They were there for minutes and for effort. A perfect use of the bench and role players. Not playing Hyatt who seemed not up to playing a discipline kind of ball that RU would need to play today another smart move by Pike. Call him a Master Socerer at this point but Pikiell has set this team up for its success its enjoying right now.

The one game at a time mantra still holds true. You are only as good as your last win. RU is 3-0 against ranked team in its gauntlet of playing 6 ranked teams in 7 games. An NCAA tournament bid is well within sight now. However still work to be done. With Illinois and a trip to Purdue and Michigan left on the docket, Rutgers has to continue to find ways to win more games one at a time. Plus just because RU won at Wisconsin does not mean they will do it at the RAC. Seen alot of splits this year especially with the road team winning. The resume is now willing but its not complete. Rutgers overcame one mental challenge, now a new one crops up. Rutgers cannot get caught up in anything other then next man up and that is Illinois. Its a tough challenge. However RU is not the same team that was hammered at Illinois and Geo did not play that game. The atmosphere at the RAC vs Illinois will be sheer delirium. Its amazing how each successive game becomes bigger than the one before. Incredible high stakes right now for the basketball program who have brought themselves back from the cliff of the edge of the obscurity to the brink of a NCAA tournament. Don't look now but here comes Rutgers.

When I needed a hand
That must've been lust
I was living in style
When the walls fell in
When I played my hand
I looked like a joker
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning

When his dunks make you cry
As you watch him fly by,
That’s Oh-more-ee!

Last edited:
When his dunks make you cry
As you watch him fly by,
That’s Oh-more-ee!
Get the Riot Squad on it! And the band!

It would be awesome if we had a short chant like that after each Cliff dunk. The other team would have to hear it over and over driving him the fact they just got dunked on again

I believe if you rewatch today’s game, you will see how we outplayed them. Pike had a masterful game plan and the guys executed well. I think we definitely beat them at the rac. Paul has become a real centerpiece of our offense. The opportunity they need to practice is inbounding the ball during the last few minutes when we have the lead. Also love the foul shooting. How many games have we lost in the past because of poor foul shooting!

I believe if you rewatch today’s game, you will see how we outplayed them. Pike had a masterful game plan and the guys executed well. I think we definitely beat them at the rac. Paul has become a real centerpiece of our offense. The opportunity they need to practice is inbounding the ball during the last few minutes when we have the lead. Also love the foul shooting. How many games have we lost in the past because of poor foul shooting!
We've been incredibly shaky inbounding under pressure to end games. Ron made a great play on the one that was flipped long and almost went out-of-bounds.

Reactions: NiTeKnight
#SweepWisconsin

Great write up Bac. I can honestly say I felt comfortable that RU was going to pull out the win today while watching this game. I can’t remember the last time I felt so comfortable watching a road game. This team is exuding confidence right now..,please keep it up

Reactions: Scangg
Another great recap Bac. You hit it all.

I was surprised during the game you said that Caleb was having a bad game. He was holding down Davis pretty much all game long. His defense and steals have helped propel this team to another level.

Best of Luck,
Groz

What a starting 5 we have ! They all know their roles and man have Paul / Caleb and Cliff upped their games.

Masterful coaching effort by Pike and Staff and great defensive effort shutting down Davis and Davison.

Also great underrated tune by Santana. Have always loved the song !

I think we definitely beat them at the rac.
I've seen it far too many times where we win on the road but crap the bed on the return trip - like Maryland this year. There is no "definitely" about it. Wisconsin will be out for blood when they visit the RAC and you can bet Davis won't be held to 11 again. We better be ready...

Reactions: bac2therac
Ya gotta give credit to the staff to moving to a pnr, high ball screen heavy offense. It’s single-handedly the reason for the consistent winning of late. Bravo

I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning

When I needed a hand
That must've been lust
I was living in style
When the walls fell in
When I played my hand
I looked like a joker
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning
I'm winning

The Santana song reference = epic.

• Love
Reactions: bac2therac
Yes, great song. Saw Santana on that Zebop tour up in the Oranges.. surprised there was never a pep band arrangement of it. Would have been cool with trumpets on melody, trombone/saxes w Keyboard counterparts (Richard Baker playing in that video) ..

Ya gotta give credit to the staff to moving to a pnr, high ball screen heavy offense. It’s single-handedly the reason for the consistent winning of late. Bravo

It’s also important that Cliff holds the pick then rolls Very rarely called for a moving pick which last year we picked up 1 or 2 a game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT