ADVERTISEMENT

Game 28: Northwestern Thoughts

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Well we all needed that..the players, the coaches, and the fans. RU had lost 7 in a row and 9 out of 10....and you can see the frustration of the losses mounting on both the players and the coaching staff and for us fans too because we need to be thrown a bone or two to keep some faith. So tonight we got it however unlikely it was. RU was dead in the water a few times in this game. How unlikely? Well RU didnt have its first lead in the game until 2:15 was left in overtime. The first when Northwestern went on that spurt to go up 28-16 and then again when after RU had chipped back into it, the Cats seemed comfortably in control at 33-24...but I even commented a "Goodnight Irene" moment at 11:42 when Lindsay hit his 2nd consecutive 3s to put NU up 44-33....and then one more, after Gaines nailed a shot clock expiring three from the corner to put them up 56-50 with just 1;34 left. And really I never got the feeling RU had a chance to win this one until maybe around the 6 minute mark. Seemed like Northwestern was successful at keeping RU at bay by hitting a timely shot everytime RU got close. Plus the RU offense was pretty dreadful the first half, dont have the first half stats for shooting but it couldnt have looked pretty. RU looked every bit as bad on offense as it did in his previous two games.

But one thing kept RU in the game and that was defense...Despite the offensive woes in the first half, RU was at least able to keep things in double digits by slowing Northwestern down and playing some really strong D and causing some turnovers. The first 12 minutes of the game was being played at NW's pace. I posted in the game thread at that time, RU needed to get this game in the 50s and low 60s to win. Those last 7 minutes of the first half, RU held Northwestern to just 2 made fgs...5 points..and that carried over into the next 4:30 minutes of the 2nd half where they were held scoreless...thats just 5 points in almost 12 minutes of play. That was some excellent RU basketball...so while the offense was struggling, the team kept to its task working on rebounding, pressure defense, getting back in transition...all the little things that we fell in love with this team in the early part of the season. I see RU outboard Northwestern 41-37 but it seemed like more, like to see the 2nd half numbers if anyone has them. RU really seemed like they were cleaning up in the last 10 minutes. Still the offense was a struggle but they just kept chipping away. One thing about this team and yes they are very frustrating but just when you are ready to count them out they come back from the dead.

Corey Sanders took over the last 4 minutes for RU singlehandedly sending this game into overtime scoring RU's final 10 points, including nailing all 3 ft on his three point shot he was fouled on and then hitting the game tying shot from his favorite spot. But beyond that Corey also was a warrior defensively in shutting down Lindsey. Logging 41 minutes with 30 points on 11-22 shooting with 4 assists and just 2 tos. A superlative effort by Corey tonight, reminiscent of his Illinois game a couple years back and the Purdue game albeit in a loss. Listen everyone wants this Corey back for another year. The frustration with Corey is the erratic ups and downs. When he is on, he is on. He doesnt have to score 30 points a game but he has to bring it mentally every night...and as a senior that is what will be expected out of him every night, players will always have poor nights but can Corey take that next step to become consistent next year...so just needed to touch on that in light of the discussion from the other thread. He can single handedly win RU games, we have seen it before, we saw it tonight. You have to tip your hat to him, he is a competitor with a will to win and I am sure after the last 2 dismal games and getting down 11 in this game it could have been easy for him and the rest of the team to pack it in.

Have to give props to Eugene, Issa, and Mike. Issa struggled early but then hit two big 3s...one in regulation before Corey took over that was a key shot..then a bigtime shot in OT that gave RU its first lead of the game. Big time shots in a big time spot, not sure if Issa had ever hit such big shots in pressure situations in his career so this was outstanding to see given his recent struggles and slow start to this game. Eugene coming back from injury..starting no less and then coming up with 8 points and 10 boards and playing stellar D, it makes you wonder if he should have been starting a lot sooner but what a difference it makes on this team having him back. 39 freaking minutes for Eugene..wow! Mike...again usually warrior self, still rusty from 3 but the knack for being in the right place at the right time hitting his other shots finishing with 8 points on 3-6 shooting. Candido Sa...shoutout to you....25 minutes and 8 boards, tough D. This is a game Baker struggled, do not know exactly why but just nothing seemed to go down for him....1-11.

I will say Pike coached an outstanding game today. I think there were a couple games where he was outcoached...Indiana for one but he was doing the outcoaching tonight. Collins did a marvelous job with the Wildcats last year but something is just missing this year. It simply looks like focus. Talent is there, I think they have all the pieces and are more talented than RU but they continually shot themselves in the foot tonight and give credit to RU's defense. Pike did a wonderful job with his rotation with his 3 bigs shutting down the inside game of NU, denying the ball and frustrating them into taking some longer range shots that they had trouble hitting. True Northwestern was really hurt when MacIntosh could not go no more, but RU was playing without Freeman as well and has played without injuries. No one is going to cry for you when you have an injured or player sitting out, you need to find other players to step up.

I have no idea why Freeman didnt play. I have not read anything on the board yet about it. If its a discipline thing that kudos to Pikiell potentially risking a chance to win a game by sitting him out and allowing other players to step up in his place.

The big picture,..RU will not finish above 500 this season, I think thats pretty much guaranteed, however with 3 conference wins RU has now matched last seasons total...and controls its own destiny with Illinois coming into the RAC in the season finale, Beat Illinois and RU will not finish in last place (assuming Illinois is not pulling massive upsets with their brutal schedule before that game). RU can still jockey around and finish 11th and there is a wacky scenerio where they can finish 10th. Thats progress...that is the goal to shoot for. Going to be tough to beat a decent but struggling Maryland at their place..they are a much better team at home...and quite frankly RU save for the anomoly at MSU has been a pretty bad road team this year. At OSU will not be pretty...but that Illinois game is big for saying RU has improved, RU is out of the basement, RU can reverse an embarrassing 30 point loss to Illinois. And in a year where we seem to have taken alot of lumps...small victories, small steps up have to pointed out.

My favorite play of the game was early on. Northwestern was up 10-8. Eugene grabbed a defensive rebound, looked up and found Corey ahead of the field with a great outlet pass. Haven’t seen many rebound outlet passes like that in a long time.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Congrats to the players. Play with heart and effort, and the results will follow. Sanders, Doorson, and Thaim all stepped up.

Attendance was terrible! That’s all that matters!!!!!!

In all serious NOT everyone wants Corey back. There’s a whole thread we can find the evidence. A lot of people will play it off after that performance and we’re already seeing it.

Corey was efficient on both ends of the floor. It’s easier to win when the pieces around him take advantage of his presence on the court on the offensive end.

I won’t say more - because I’ve supported the team, and just like the guys, I didn’t quit in the middle of the game. Great game. One more year...

Reactions: RUonBrain and AD888
The team didn't have lost possessions when Baker and Sanders didnt score....there was an extension of the bench that forced Mike Williams into some tough minutes...not moving around anywhere to full speed....made.a tough layup and tough defense when in the game...

I know people keep downplaying what next year has because we aren't there yet and some minds are already made up about the incoming pieces....Doucoure has struggled mightily BUT still should have a jump in these final few games...if you play Thiam Eugene and Shaq Carter at the 5.and may quicker and smaller in spots, you have more options with a PF/C that can hopefully guard a Pardon or box out to get those key rebounds.

There are some of those possessions where Thiam is struggling where maybe Kiss can add a basket during those droughts....Mathis should arrive and able to get baskets in spots as a 3rd guard with Sanders....

On some possessions, it was Sanders Williams and Baker asked to stay with 6'7- 6'8" SF Vic Law....that gives you another look that can help with scoring if Thiam can rebound and defend the post with his length...

There will be more options the staff can go to in 20 B1G games next year and fortunately Eugene is bionic....because he really gutted out the last 2 games when he isn't moving well....he couldn't close out ad quickly on 3 point shooters early and it was costly....but he kept grinding.

Fabric and chemistry get developed when you go through adversity....while some more talented programs in the B1G have much more pieces towards the bottom of the league standings, some have shut it down at the first run a team makes...

To pick up a win with grit and have the roster know it can do it while Freeman sat is important...not because anyone is rooting against Deshawn....but at some point with the mix and match lineups, players are being extended beyond their limits and the results have been ugly in spots because of it.....but it will be a little more flexible and stronger.

Be curious to see how RU responds at Maryland only because it's on the road and it's a tough spot. How does RU play after success...?? More roller coaster rides are likely but last night will help with recruiting....you definitely don't want a double digit losing streak to end a season...

Looking at Eugene, Issa, and Baker play, it is hard to not be happy with where the program is going. Selfless kids. Baker with the huge block, Thiam with the three in OT, and Eugene on the table to get a steal.Sanders stays? Add a shooter and watch out. Great game by Sanders.Very happy for him.

Last edited:
Left unsaid is Corey's excellent defense and rebounding as well as several neat assists to Williams that gave us considerable momentum. Corey also had to pick up the slack for Gio who had a rough night.

All in all a brilliant game by Corey.
Both baker and Thiam are an off season away from becoming great knights. Both should bulk up, and start to drive and then go out to 3 pt line. Hats off to both of them for their play. Pikiell has the ultimate trust in Baker as a player. Also cool to see the bondhe’s built with Sanders.

Last edited:
Corey was a warrior last night. This team unfortunately can’t get many shots from other guys because we don’t have enough shooters. Corey put the team on his back and got us the W. NW is another team we beat for the first time in the Big 10. It was a crushing blow to their season as their fans thought this one was wrapped up.

As for the fans, my son and I are dedicated and go if we can regardless of the record. Losing is part of the process that makes winning so great.

We felt great last night and for Mike Williams and possibly Corey, I hope we get a nice crowd for Illinois but if you don’t want to come out, that’s your choice. This town comes out for winners only it seems.

Very important win to break the losing streak and have some momentum prior to the B1G Tournament.Not coming last in league rankings is a added incentive for the three remaining league games.Hopefully,Freeman will be back on the court and Eugene and Williams continue their recovery from injuries.

“Plus the RU offense was pretty dreadful the first half, dont have the first half stats for shooting but it couldnt have looked pretty. RU looked every bit as bad onoffense as it did in his previous two games.”
“ I see RU outboard Northwestern 41-37 but it seemed like more, like to see the 2nd half numbers if anyone has them.”

Bac, great recap as always. First home game I missed this year :cry:.
Regarding stats, I highly recommend Rutgers
Gameday App! It’s awesome!

Last edited:
Eugene makes every player around him better. We need more Eugene' s on the team. Unbelievable how good he's become. Watch out for him next year when he develops an elbow jump shot.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
unrelated...anybody see CNN's David Chalian at the game? he was down in front row behind the scorers table. guessing a NW graduate.

Left unsaid is Corey's excellent defense and rebounding as well as several neat assists to Williams that gave us considerable momentum. Corey also had to pick up the slack for Gio who had a rough night.

All in all a brilliant game by Corey.
Pikes switched Corey to cover Lindsey after he torched us from 3. I don't think Lindsey hit another 3 with Corey hawking him.

Completely OT but not worth its own thread, I see Mississippi is done with Andy Kennedy after this year. I wonder if Breein Tyree might look to transfer? Sophomore from Somerset shooting 37.6% on threes (but terrible inside the arc, 38.3%).

Aside from Corey's heroics, the story of the night was Pike's adjustment on Pardon in the 2nd half. That kid was KILLING us in the first half, with 10 pts and 8 rebounds I think, plus a couple of blocks. But Pike rotated Sa and Doorson on Pardon in the 2nd half, and they were much more aggressive in pushing him out away from the basket and generally just playing tougher.

Honorary "second" game ball to Sa and Doorson for that defense on Pardon.

Completely OT but not worth its own thread, I see Mississippi is done with Andy Kennedy after this year. I wonder if Breein Tyree might look to transfer? Sophomore from Somerset shooting 37.6% on threes (but terrible inside the arc, 38.3%).

That's an interesting thought but the first thing that would have to happen is a patching up with his dad (Mark - who played LAX at Rutgers back in the day).

Julie Hermann had that "dust up" with the Tyree family when Jevon (Breein's brother) was dismissed from the football program and then the whole who called who / who talked to whom happened in the Star Ledger.

Of course, now we have Pat Hobbs running the show so maybe that saga can be corrected.

http://www.nj.com/education/2014/01...evon_tyree_football_bullying_allegations.html

Reactions: kcg88
That's an interesting thought but the first thing that would have to happen is a patching up with his dad (Mark - who played LAX at Rutgers back in the day).

Julie Hermann had that "dust up" with the Tyree family when Jevon (Breein's brother) was dismissed from the football program and then the whole who called who / who talked to whom happened in the Star Ledger.

Of course, now we have Pat Hobbs running the show so maybe that saga can be corrected.

http://www.nj.com/education/2014/01...evon_tyree_football_bullying_allegations.html

Didn't know he and Jevon were brothers. Thanks. That probably settles that, then.

Didn't know he and Jevon were brothers. Thanks. That probably settles that, then.
HOLD THE PHONE!!!

Breein's oldest brother Michael Tyree played on the 2007-08 and 2008-09 Stony Brook Seawolves....guess who his head coach was? This could happen.....not as much patching up needed as I originally thought!

Reactions: kcg88
Aside from Corey's heroics, the story of the night was Pike's adjustment on Pardon in the 2nd half. That kid was KILLING us in the first half, with 10 pts and 8 rebounds I think, plus a couple of blocks. But Pike rotated Sa and Doorson on Pardon in the 2nd half, and they were much more aggressive in pushing him out away from the basket and generally just playing tougher.

Honorary "second" game ball to Sa and Doorson for that defense on Pardon.

yes sir. both player much better of late especially Sa (who learned how to dunk as well :boom:)

One of the best interviews ever was Jevon's mom being interviewed on ESPN. She sounded like a complete moron.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT