ADVERTISEMENT

Game 3: Work in Progress

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Just a short recap because its late and the really isnt alot to go in depth on this game other than it really is exposing where we are and how far we actually have to go and its all in plain sight.

Its a win, take it and run. Drexel is better than Bryant, they were well coached, they played pretty good D and ran some nice offensive sets at times but more importantly they were scrappy and it allowed them to stick around. RU allowed two 10 point leads to dissipate because their half court offense like vs Bryant was pretty brutal and were sloppy at times with the ball. Its a good thing RU was really really good at the line because if they were not, this was a loss.

The offense needs lots of work. RU was able to get those leads because it played pretty tough defense to start the 2nd half and was able to get some easy transition buckets much like they did in the first half. However generating offense on their own, Pikiell is going to have to answer to that. We were promised more options but some of the options either are not ready, are not delivering or are way out of control. Mulcahy, Johnson, Young in that order. I will give a pass on Mulcahy, did not have a good game but that will happen, I am not worried about him. Myles Johnson is going to have to step up. He had an awful first half with 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes or so and just missing point blank layups. This is a game where he should have success offensively but simply did not. To me he has not picked up where he left off at the end of last year. Too soft and too slow on the offensive end. Meanwhile our other post players are really non factors. Carter really not up to snuff on the boards and Doucoure just seemingly behind. I really think our lack of inside production is going to be a big factor in Big 10 play and not so sure if it can improve enough where we can get by. Onto Young, just too much out of control and playing too fast. I see him as almost playing a couple notches too fast than the rest of the team, hopefully he can adjust and blend in.

One positive I saw is that unlike vs Bryant, RU came together late and credit to Pike and credit to Geo for the monster move up the middle for the bucket that basically sealed the game. After the first game I talked about leadership and I felt that Geo needs to have the ball at games end, he needs to take the shots, he needs to be the guy that Pike trusts and Geo delivered tonight in crunch time and I also thought he generally played solid D throughout. He still is struggling a bit on the offensive end so I would like to see a better shooting night. I also thought RU tightened up their D in the last 4-5 minutes unlike in the Bryant game. It was a much better effort than that game and a much better finish so thats why I am okay with this game. We are what we are right now. We are nowhere near a NCAA team and I never thought we would be. We are a team that is limited because we have very little inside presence on offense which means the guards have to do everythng and their play has been spotty and out of control at times. Yeboah has showed some flashes, but right now he is nowhere near giving us what Eugene gave on both ends(and yes alot of posters just assumed he would come in replace him so I will point it out even though he will get better, the point is he isnt Eugene). So right now there is a lot of work to do and still a lot of adjustments make because roles still havent been defined yet. We have seen McConnell's minutes sort of cut for more time for Young. Mulcahy get some time but obviously not ready to be asked to shoulder any load. I think defensively is where we need to keep it up because that can keep us in games and generate offense. I thought our D was really good and scrappy and very good causing turnovers in the first 5-7 minutes of the 2nd half but at times it was lacking around the perimeter but overall a solid effort tonight.

So 3-0 is no place to complain but I think having two close ones in our first 3 sorts of shows we have issues to work out and cannot take any win for granted. St Bonnies is off to a rough start at 0-3 but this game is dangerous being on a neutral court in a different environment. I like that finally they are getting away from the RAC. RU plays too many games at home, Its a different challenged on the road and looking forward to seeing how this team steps up against a perceived better opponent than the last 3.

Took a United flight out of Newark TO Charleston to go to Kiawah. United was reckless and 3/4 of my shafts are bent. Have a tee time 3 hours after I land. Buy an entire new set of irons and woods and am on the 1st tee of the Ocean Course without any practice swings.

That is Rutgers in the half court offense.

Some thoughts:

- We need to put the clamp down on teams. We keep letting Bryant and Drexel back in games with presumably comfortable double digit leads.
- Thank goodness for Geo. Made the big play offensively and was great defensively. He’s the Man!
- Liked what I saw from Harper at both ends
- Montez was a bit out of control today and he took too many chances defensively that hurt us
- Dont know what’s up with Myles as he hasn’t really done much yet this season
- Jacob. Relax. Pass the damn ball
- Kwasi was solid.
- Thought Shaq Carter played decent as well.

Biggest concerns continues to be rebounding issues and lack of killer instinct to date.

Reactions: RW90 and bac2therac
Just a short recap because its late and the really isnt alot to go in depth on this game other than it really is exposing where we are and how far we actually have to go and its all in plain sight.

Its a win, take it and run. Drexel is better than Bryant, they were well coached, they played pretty good D and ran some nice offensive sets at times but more importantly they were scrappy and it allowed them to stick around. RU allowed two 10 point leads to dissipate because their half court offense like vs Bryant was pretty brutal and were sloppy at times with the ball. Its a good thing RU was really really good at the line because if they were not, this was a loss.

The offense needs lots of work. RU was able to get those leads because it played pretty tough defense to start the 2nd half and was able to get some easy transition buckets much like they did in the first half. However generating offense on their own, Pikiell is going to have to answer to that. We were promised more options but some of the options either are not ready, are not delivering or are way out of control. Mulcahy, Johnson, Young in that order. I will give a pass on Mulcahy, did not have a good game but that will happen, I am not worried about him. Myles Johnson is going to have to step up. He had an awful first half with 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes or so and just missing point blank layups. This is a game where he should have success offensively but simply did not. To me he has not picked up where he left off at the end of last year. Too soft and too slow on the offensive end. Meanwhile our other post players are really non factors. Carter really not up to snuff on the boards and Doucoure just seemingly behind. I really think our lack of inside production is going to be a big factor in Big 10 play and not so sure if it can improve enough where we can get by. Onto Young, just too much out of control and playing too fast. I see him as almost playing a couple notches too fast than the rest of the team, hopefully he can adjust and blend in.

One positive I saw is that unlike vs Bryant, RU came together late and credit to Pike and credit to Geo for the monster move up the middle for the bucket that basically sealed the game. After the first game I talked about leadership and I felt that Geo needs to have the ball at games end, he needs to take the shots, he needs to be the guy that Pike trusts and Geo delivered tonight in crunch time and I also thought he generally played solid D throughout. He still is struggling a bit on the offensive end so I would like to see a better shooting night. I also thought RU tightened up their D in the last 4-5 minutes unlike in the Bryant game. It was a much better effort than that game and a much better finish so thats why I am okay with this game. We are what we are right now. We are nowhere near a NCAA team and I never thought we would be. We are a team that is limited because we have very little inside presence on offense which means the guards have to do everythng and their play has been spotty and out of control at times. Yeboah has showed some flashes, but right now he is nowhere near giving us what Eugene gave on both ends(and yes alot of posters just assumed he would come in replace him so I will point it out even though he will get better, the point is he isnt Eugene). So right now there is a lot of work to do and still a lot of adjustments make because roles still havent been defined yet. We have seen McConnell's minutes sort of cut for more time for Young. Mulcahy get some time but obviously not ready to be asked to shoulder any load. I think defensively is where we need to keep it up because that can keep us in games and generate offense. I thought our D was really good and scrappy and very good causing turnovers in the first 5-7 minutes of the 2nd half but at times it was lacking around the perimeter but overall a solid effort tonight.

So 3-0 is no place to complain but I think having two close ones in our first 3 sorts of shows we have issues to work out and cannot take any win for granted. St Bonnies is off to a rough start at 0-3 but this game is dangerous being on a neutral court in a different environment. I like that finally they are getting away from the RAC. RU plays too many games at home, Its a different challenged on the road and looking forward to seeing how this team steps up against a perceived better opponent than the last 3.

Good recap. I too am worried about the bigs. Carter’s inability to rebound last year was a red flag and it is still waving in this his senior year. If he continues to be a no show on the boards, I’d like to see Decoure get more minutes to see what he can do. Myles played a much better second half but he has to learn how to avoid foul troubles.

I've been saying for a while now that the defensive reputation Pikiell lives on is fool's gold. I thought the defensive rotations were terrible today for most of the game. They did shore it up late so either an adjustment was made or (and this my theory) it was an effort issue.

Why are we in their faces 40 feet from the basket? Young picked up a cheap foul doing this, and numerous times we overcommitted, the Drexel guy drove right by because there's so much room that far out, and someone had to help off a shooter.

Our transition points didn't come off turnovers at the perimeter, they came when we forced them to make a play inside and someone (mostly Mathis) leaked out.

Speaking of Mathis, he's excellent in transition but IMO gives a lot of that value back in the halfcourt offense (three TOs today) and with poor closeouts on shooters defensively. Either he's too far away to get there in time, or he takes a bad angle and gets driven on.

Jacob Young has actually been what I expected since the Bryant game. Some frustrating moments, some flashes. Shouldn't be our highest-used guys in terms of possessions.

I have to assume Caleb, Geo, and Ron's shots will come around. If they're 30% shooters from deep then we're not going anywhere. Right now they're basically 25% which is a nightmare.

I'd like to see Yeboah get more touches inside. He can create a little bit. And Myles Johnson and Shaq Carter are giving us very very little. Johnson particularly has regressed. Remember Pikiell praising him as a passer? He needs to pass out of the post.

Then again, who's he going to pass to? The ball goes inside and everyone stands around. The offensive gameplan is awful right now. Can we run some kind of off-ball movement? A screen to get a shooter an open shot? Right now, as far as I can tell, the plan consists of either a weave or two guys playing catch at the top of the key, getting one screen, then driving and maybe making one pass. That's not gonna cut it.

The recap still refuses to give credit to Yeboah somehow. The reality is he missed some shots inside, but drew fouls and made his FTs.

The other item that is again somehow missing is Yeboah took shots within the flow of the offense and extends the defense. He has a stat line that has the following items.

10.3 PPG
40% from 3 (within the flow of ball movement)
75% from FT line
21 minutes a game.
1 Turnover per game

RU had 11 turnovers at one point and finished with 13....a 3 second violation where Mulcahy didnt take an open look & a travel on Mathis but outside of the bigs fumbling the ball away (which is a huge red flag so far), Eugene averaged 3 TOs per game.

If the bigs can clean up their turnovers inside and I get 40% from 3, 75 to 80 from the FT line and 10PPG in 20 to 25 minutes from Yeboah, RU can get away from some of the 15 to 17 turnovers per game that popped up all year long.

On paper if one player is averaging 3 turnovers per game and his replacement in a short sample size, has 1 turnover per game, that adds up at some point. And we are talking 13PPG vs 10PPG, with 8 to 9 minutes less minutes on the floor.

RU turnovers are being sloppy in transition and post play. And while Eugene would have likely had more success in the low post vs Bryant, Niagara and Drexel's of the early season, that wouldn't automatically transfer to the same against better competition.

Yeboah is providing similar numbers and production by barely touching the ball.

The recap still refuses to give credit to Yeboah somehow. The reality is he missed some shots inside, but drew fouls and made his FTs.

The other item that is again somehow missing is Yeboah took shots within the flow of the offense and extends the defense. He has a stat line that has the following items.

10.3 PPG
40% from 3 (within the flow of ball movement)
75% from FT line
21 minutes a game.
1 Turnover per game

RU had 11 turnovers at one point and finished with 13....a 3 second violation where Mulcahy didnt take an open look & a travel on Mathis but outside of the bigs fumbling the ball away (which is a huge red flag so far), Eugene averaged 3 TOs per game.

If the bigs can clean up their turnovers inside and I get 40% from 3, 75 to 80 from the FT line and 10PPG in 20 to 25 minutes from Yeboah, RU can get away from some of the 15 to 17 turnovers per game that popped up all year long.

On paper if one player is averaging 3 turnovers per game and his replacement in a short sample size, has 1 turnover per game, that adds up at some point. And we are talking 13PPG vs 10PPG, with 8 to 9 minutes less minutes on the floor.

RU turnovers are being sloppy in transition and post play. And while Eugene would have likely had more success in the low post vs Bryant, Niagara and Drexel's of the early season, that wouldn't automatically transfer to the same against better competition.

Yeboah is providing similar numbers and production by barely touching the ball.
Totally agreed. Yeboah is a very efficient player and quietly just goes about his business and does his job. He really spaces the floor too and what a pretty shot he has. When he releases from 3 it always looks like its going in. Hes a really solid player and im thrilled we have him

Yeboah does everything right. Silent but effective. I loved seeing him grab a charge. His 3 point stroke is pretty. We need to, like many noted, run more screens and designed sets for shooters.

The weave and flash to the ft line makes me nauseous. Just not effective right now.

They also need to learn to mix it up on D. They stayed in that putrid zone for way to long in the 1H. They mixed up with some man and got turnovers. They should throw diff looks at the O when one scheme isnt working. I am assuming alot of what weve seen is Pike trying to figure out what works with these personnel he has.

Reactions: BillyC80
McConnell was on the upswing big time end of last year. I want to see him to continue developing. He needs more PT at the expense of Young and Yeboah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT