ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops versus Iowa

Yeah out coached in the sense that the best player in the country exploded in the final 10 minutes.

leaving Johnson on the bench late In the second half cost us 5 points. Our final few possessions were atrocious including that last play. Didn’t understand the no time out on the the 2nd to last possession either.

The refs took another game away from us. When are we going to get the respect that we deserve. I counted 7 fouls not counted against us. The announcers even mentioned it. **** these stupid refs!@

stop it...stop it...when you have a 7 point lead with the ball and make only 4-12 at the line, no one stole anything from you

Harper bailed them out with that stupid foul when RU was up 1 with 30 sec left. Put them on the line instead of forcing them to make a fg. Not sure what he was thinking there.

Complaining about the refs all the time is lame. Better team won. Make your free throws and Rutgers wins. A college team shooting 33% FT is a joke.
Maybe you should tell the experts at BTN about your first comment.
Your totally right about the 2nd comment.

Complaining about the refs all the time is lame. Better team won. Make your free throws and Rutgers wins. A college team shooting 33% FT is a joke.
Refs overall were pretty fair today. Iowa got a couple more calls than us but nothing game changing. Geo one at the end hurts though.

But youre not winning going 4-12 from the free throw line

Reactions: Postman_1
We played okay, they played better. The good news is we know we can beat them if we play a bit better than today. And we know we can play a bit better.

refs are not calling something like that in that situation

Not going to say we lost because of the refs (we lost because we didn't hit our free throws), but this is what they did when they called the foul on Harper.

Should've called a time out and get the team settled. I was going crazy at home so I can only imagine the players. **** the refs for not calling a foul when Geo got hacked

call a timeout as Myles is about to catch the ball with four guys on his back? Myles dropped it. I don’t think you call a timeout there especially when we ended up neededing

call a timeout as Myles is about to catch the ball with four guys on his back? Myles dropped it. I don’t think you call a timeout there especially when we ended up neededing
Call a foul when you get past half court and draw up the final play.

stop it...stop it...when you have a 7 point lead with the ball and make only 4-12 at the line, no one stole anything from you
Disagree we are a bad free throw shooting team. We will be all year. Does that mean we don’t deserve to win games? We have other strengths. Making feee throws would certainly help. However you don’t get to discount Geo getting hacked at the key moment in the game. Why is that ok? It’s not the only reason we lost but it shows the lack of respect we are still getting.

As bad as this loss hurts, and it HURTS, we lost because we couldn't hit FT's and Ron, who's been money this season had a really off day. After making 4 out of 5 from the 3-point line his missed his next five in a row. Also, you're not going to win when you shoot 33% from the FT line.

I'm not going to let Bo, Kelly or the bald guy get away with anything here too. I thought the first half was well officiated, but then those 3 decided to call every ticky-tacky foul against us. You know it's bad when Dakitch (commentator) yells out, "Come on refs, let them play. You didn't call that at all in the first half and NOW you're calling that. Please."

Once I saw the Caleb news, I said to myself, no matter what happens today is a positive. Regardless, could have won, if not for FTs. Refs weren’t terrible... Garza is officiated different, has been that way for 2 years nothing new.

leaving Johnson on the bench late In the second half cost us 5 points. Our final few possessions were atrocious including that last play. Didn’t understand the no time out on the the 2nd to last possession either.

stop. Your saying Garza who averages 28 a game wouldn’t score on Myles? Your going to blame that on Reiner being in and not Myles?
Why would pikiell call a to? Geo got wanted we wanted them got fouled no call then Mathis threw it to Myles who had a wide open layup. Which he fumbled out of bounds...

So it is pikiell’s fault for not having Myles in them it is pikiell’s fault for not calling TO while Myles was setup for a wide open layup but fumbled it out of bounds?

Myles has to catch that ball and score.

Harper bailed them out with that stupid foul when RU was up 1 with 30 sec left. Put them on the line instead of forcing them to make a fg. Not sure what he was thinking there.
Ron was really off most of the game. And that foul there was a headscratcher. He wasn't thinking obviously.

just watched it WOW
I know right, not the reason we lost as FT's kill us. But that was pretty obvious with the ball popping up weirdly. If you're not going to call that, then some of the calls on Rutgers I really question. The way the 2nd half was called, it should have absolutely been called and gave us the chance to tie or win.

I said earlier in the week that we largely still do not run an offense in year 5 and where it hurts is end of game situations. Iowa’s last 2 possessions, 2 great offensive sets, with the 2nd being a floppy, wins them the game. Im not sure why were not regularly running sets but weve gotten away with it so far so what do I know.

I just think it severely limits our ceiling

''they also can play better
I think we’re either good as them, or close enough to win on any given night. And I think they played closer to their peak than we did in this game. Harper wasn’t his usual self. Geo is getting better each game, but still not 100%. First half and we wasted a ton of opportunities. Myles had a meh second half.

They played without a key player. They could have played better I the first ten minutes of the first half. But they didn’t miss many wide open shots. We did.

And free throws.

Disappointing endgame: Harper not getting that rebound, then fouling Murray and then not us getting a shot off with MJ fumbling it out of bounds and then not getting a better final shot and not sure why MJ was on the floor for the final play. Also JY should've taken one more dribble and would've had a much easier shot. Harper being 0-3 from the line really hurt, too, as he's one of our best, usually. Oh well.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Can someone post video of the second to last possession with about 10 seconds left when Geo apparently got absolutely raked across the arm trying to rise up for a shot ?????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT