ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Iowa

So you’re saying Caleb didn’t foul? It was pretty clear, no?
Few things. Did I think Caleb fouled 4 times? Nope. More importantly why the change in foul calls in the second half? Easily protecting home court. Announcers even said halfway through the first half they were surprised at the lack of foul calls. In fact they thought both teams needed to play thru the contact going to the basket since fiuks not being called. Teams were avoiding contact

Last edited:
That's just plain bullchit.
Where does it say in the refs handbook or the rule book that the home team gest favored on the calls ? Maybe the league should try to hire some refs who can call a fair game.
It’s been the case fair or not forever in college hoops. You need to accept that as a fact even if it’s not “fair” or a rule. It just happens that way and it works for and against every team. So don’t let that be your excuse for getting beat. We did not defend, we did not rebound and we did not make timely shots or good decisions. This was on the coaches not having us ready to specifically play Iowa.

We just dont match up well with Iowa yet. They have 4 & 5 shooters and we refuse to stay on our offensive assignments. We can trade 2's not 3's I'd rather them score 60-70 in the paint than rack up 30+ outside arc. You'd figure we'd learn at some point we have to change our defensive philosophy against a team loaded with shooters
This frustrates me like crazy. This is not on the players, this is on Pike and the coaching staff, who refuse to do anything different when our base defense isn’t working. Any team that has to play us should be watching the Iowa game films, because they put on a clinic in how to beat our defense, and we just continue to overplay the ball, sag to the middle and leave shooters open for easy shots.

Mag had 12 points on 5-7 FG’s and 7 rebounds.
exactly. Mag has actually turned into a serviceable offensive player. Turnovers were the issue because we have an excellent offensive team extra possessions.

It was a poorly reffed game. Maybe we win a close one maybe we don't with more balanced officiating but it's not a double-digit loss.
This. We didn't play well until the second half. We were in it til the end, but the refs called ticky tac on us and allowed them free reign. Some of those phantom fouls were head scratching. Like Paul under our basket with the ball and called for offensive. 🙄

McConnell was a negative on offense in 1st half missing some bunnies and shooting off the side of the backboard and giving up some lazy turnovers.
Fran is the biggest whiner in the league, but the refs eventually give up and give him the calls. He started right from minute 1. We looked very unprepared on out of bounds plays. Not acceptable this late in the season. No one in the league struggles as much as us to make inbounds. We lack in bounds plays, we didn’t adjust the whole game and some of players stand around and don’t help the inbounder

Reactions: bac2therac
This frustrates me like crazy. This is not on the players, this is on Pike and the coaching staff, who refuse to do anything different when our base defense isn’t working. Any team that has to play us should be watching the Iowa game films, because they put on a clinic in how to beat our defense, and we just continue to overplay the ball, sag to the middle and leave shooters open for easy shots.
Not a shot at Pike but he can’t solve good 3 point shooting teams in the same way Schiano 1.0 couldn’t solve spread offenses

I love the commentator; getting to the line was an emphasis. Clearly they wanted to do that. Are we playing pickup ball where you call their own fouls???

33-14

If both teams called evenly we win this game
LOL. I love Pike. One of the classiest coaches in the Big Ten, but this is the whiniest fan base in the conference. You think you lost because of the officials? LOL. You got outplayed and outhustled. You turned it over. And the the fouls were called when we drove the ball and got on the boards. You get fouls called when you're aggressive. Your guys reached and were out of position for most of the game. That's how a team scores 93 points.

But yeah, the officials cost you a win. Pathetic.

LOL. I love Pike. One of the classiest coaches in the Big Ten, but this is the whiniest fan base in the conference. You think you lost because of the officials? LOL. You got outplayed and outhustled. You turned it over. And the the fouls were called when we drove the ball and got on the boards. You get fouls called when you're aggressive. Your guys reached and were out of position for most of the game. That's how a team scores 93 points.

Your own fans were ITT earlier acknowledging how ridiculous the refs were. Don't think many of us are blaming this loss on the refs anyway.

And I'm old enough to remember you guys crying about the call we got at the RAC a couple seasons ago, speaking of whiniest fanbases.

Inside FG Rutgers 18-28 Iowa 10-20
Mid range Rutgers 9-22 Iowa 4-16
3pt Rutgers 6-15 Iowa 12-24
A few of those 3 PT makes were made off moving screens to free up the shooter.

FTs Rutgers 10-14 Iowa 29-34
It was one sided long before fouling at the end in the 2nd half

1st half, 1 foul 16 min tv(Cliff), 4 fouls 12 min tv(2 Woolf, 1 Derek), 8 total fouls
2nd half, 4 fouls 16 min tv, 8 fouls 12 min tv.
Make it make sense.

I always have 2 problems with refs in this league like Kimble and Scirotto, one, let them play one half, tight the other half and, two, they always call light fouls on freshman as soon as they hit the floor to cause Pike not to use freshman in some games.

TOs Rutgers 18 Iowa 12
5 travelling calls, 2 Offensive foul TOs, some unforced bad passes, some bad passes being fouled, some steals.

At least 7 of 18 TOs were ref impacted TOs and possible more with missed Iowa fouls on bad passes. Iowa did only score 14 pts off TOs, 14-10.

To say the refs didn't impact the game on how poorly we defended and how many points we gave up in this game is laughable.

Last edited:

1st half, 1 foul 16 min tv(Cliff), 4 fouls 12 min tv(2 Woolf, 1 Derek), 8 total fouls
Make it make sense.

I always have 2 problems with refs in this league like Kimble and Scirotto, one, let them play one half, tight the other half and, two, they always call light fouls on freshman as soon as they hit the floor to cause Pike not to use freshman in some games.

TOs Rutgers 18 Iowa 12
5 travelling calls, 2 Offensive foul TOs, some unforced bad passes, some bad passes being fouled, some steals.

At least 7 of 18 TOs were ref impacted TOs and possible more with missed Iowa fouls on bad passes. Iowa did only score 14 pts off TOs, 14-10.

To say the refs didn't impact the game on how poorly we defended and how many points we gave up in this game is laughable.

34 FTA is their most this season. They average 17.8 away/neutral and 23.2 at Carver.

Make it make sense.

TOs Rutgers 18 Iowa 12

I saw at least 4- 5 crap calls on us and 4-5 missed foul calls on them. Give R 5 more FTs take 5 away from Iowa and it's coming down to a 1 pt game. (I know this isn't an exact analysis but the point is clear.)

Reactions: #1 RUFan

An iowa fan calling someone a whiner ?!

Wow!!!

Just wow

Dude your coach is literally the biggest whiner in all of college sports

It’s what he is known for and it serves as the identity of your basketball program as a whole. Not good

You seriously don’t realize that?

Wow.

Btw: this photo is from an article entitled

Iowa Basketball Coach Bumped A Ref And Got Ejected During His Latest Epic Meltdown​

52f87bcc39a20.preview-1024.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT