ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. Lehigh

One game but not impressed with Agree, specifically on D. May see more of Reeber than him. Jaden not so hot on d ; a few blow byes. Paul got caught too many times ok back doors and played a little out of control tonight. I think the offense needs to flow trough Ron frosh and foremost. Even when he’s not hitting his jumpers , he can bully people in the post and get to the line.
I’ll chalk a lot of this up to first game jitters, being too amped up and underestimating the opponent but it should be a wake up call
Agee’s footwork on d left a lot to be desired.

Reactions: Shell21
If we just make a few open shots we could have given ourselves some cushion. Shooting cures all and it is a make or miss game

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I was secretly hoping that Johnson clogging the lane was part of the problem on offense last year..but nope…we still don’t have an offense.
Our offense looks like pass to the guy coming off the screen and pray he can do something.

Okay my Rutgers friends. Step away from the ledge. We won. Yes, it was ugly, but these early season games are NOT indicative of how we're going to be. How do I know? Let's start with Ohio State against Akron. Ohio State is ranked 17 to start and down one with 6 seconds left they pulled out a 1 point victory. Virginia, ranked 25 in the nation lost to Navy. Let that sink in. Navy.

Tonight, number 6 Michigan won by 12 over Buffalo. But late in that game, Buffalo had pulled to within 5 points.

Yes, it was ugly. Lehigh played out of their minds and shot the ball well all night. We absolutely SUCKED from 3 point land. IIR, we shot 1-14. We are not going to do that again. We have too many good shooters and we will average at least 33-35% during the year. That means we would have scored at least 9+ points from 3 point range.

If there is any good news from this win, is that we shot over 70% from the charity stripe.

Yes, it was ugly. Yes, we should have blown this team out by 20. But more importantly, we won and Pike had the opportunity to see which players worked well together and which did not.

Last edited:
If Mulcahy can just make half his bunnies and we shoot 15% better from 3, we would look immensely better.
wasn't just him.. but it is odd that many here, incl me, wanted to see him shoot more.. assuming he'd hit his normal percentage... but this was not that.

Well, really bad performance but it’s game 1, now we got things to work on. I am confident by the time they will need to look good they will figure it out, but ofc not a great showing

wasn't just him.. but it is odd that many here, incl me, wanted to see him shoot more.. assuming he'd hit his normal percentage... but this was not that.
I’m picking on him a bit because there were at least four missed shots within 4 feet where he was so open that even he looked surprised.

Geo shot 4-15 from the field. Why go to him on the final possession?

PIKE does not know how to draw up offense. It’s why we went into prevent offense last year in the final minutes of the tourney. It might be a mentality more then anything.

Its like the football coach who will NEVER throw to ice the game late in the 4th qtr. Conservative

With that’s said, basketball is an odd game. There are so many games that growth, cohesiveness and nerves can all greatly improve before you get to the meat of the season. I never thought this team would be great unless Harper and Baker can shoot from 3, but we are not as bad as we looked tonight

Reactions: biazza38
Yep. He’s going to get manhandled if he has to play a big ten starter. Purdue may score 60 in the paint on us. Yikes
Noticed that too. Was hoping he could be a Shaq Carter but he reminds me of a player who doesn’t know what to do it he doesn’t have the ball…like he did at San Jose State.

PIKE does not know how to draw up offense. It’s why we went into prevent offense last year in the final minutes of the tourney. It might be a mentality more then anything.

Its like the football coach who will NEVER throw to ice the game late in the 4th qtr. Conservative

With that’s said, basketball is an odd game. There are so many games that growth, cohesiveness and nerves can all greatly improve before you get to the meat of the season. I never thought this team would be great unless Harper and Baker can shoot from 3, but we are not as bad as we looked tonight
It’s last shot game-theory. Keeping the ball in the hands of your best 1v1 player drastically reduces the amount of things that need to go right in order to get the shot off.

Doug Collins used to do the same thing as coach of the Sixers with Lou Williams. Drove people crazy.

It’s last shot game-theory. Keeping the ball in the hands of your best 1v1 player drastically reduces the amount of things that need to go right in order to get the shot off.

Doug Collins used to do the same thing as coach of the Sixers with Lou Williams. Drove people crazy.
He needs to start the offense a little earlier.

You're right. But actually, we were even worse. I think we shot 1-14 from three.
1-13.. Lehigh was 5-16 but 2-3 of those were very late.. including the one as OT expired. So, when we were close late.. it was something like 1-2 for us and 2-13 for them.

We have 6 players on this team that actually contribute. But yes let's still pretend like recruiting is going great lol
Recruiting is abysmal. No idea why people are in denial. We’re so lucky to still have Geo and Ron. Geo got a fifth year and Ron would be in the pros if not for his injury/shooting slump last year.

Reactions: jerzeyguy
No “on ball” defender-stopper Jalen Miller tonight
Hard to believe Pike considers him an option this year if he didn’t play in this one

Reactions: Rutgers25
Okay my Rutgers friends. Step away from the ledge. We won. Yes, it was ugly, but these early season games are NOT indicative of how we're going to be. How do I know? Let's start with Ohio State against Akron. Ohio State is ranked 17 to start and down one with 6 seconds left they pulled out a 1 point victory. Virginia, ranked 25 in the nation lost to Navy. Let that sink in. Navy.

Tonight, number 6 Michigan won by 12 over Buffalo. But late in that game, Buffalo had pulled to within 5 points.

Yes, it was ugly. Lehigh played out of their minds and shot the ball well all night. We absolutely SUCKED from 3 point land. IIR, we shot 1-14. We are not going to do that again. We have too many good shooters and we will average at least 33-35% during the year. That means we would have scored at least 9+ points from 3 point range.

If there is any good news from this win, is that we shot over 70% from the charity stripe.

Yes, it was ugly. Yes, we should have blown this team out by 20. But more importantly, we won and Pike had the opportunity to see which players worked well together and which did not.

Agreed. Free throws were better. Shooting was abysmal.

RAC was as lifeless as the team in the first half.

Reactions: RU MAN
This game showed the importance of having a player like Young on defense and also having the ability to dribble drive to the basket.Rutgers must have missed at least 10 shots around the basket by experienced players.Take the win and be happy because this team like last year has a small margin for error when they can't make 3 pointers.Hopefully,on Saturday the team will show a far better performance .

This game showed the importance of having a player like Young on defense and also having the ability to dribble drive to the basket.Rutgers must have missed at least 10 shots around the basket by experienced players.Take the win and be happy because this team like last year has a small margin for error when they can't make 3 pointers.Hopefully,on Saturday the team will show a far better performance .
I mean, you are saying
(1) we were 1/14 from three
(2) we missed 10 shots around the basket
(3) we won
(4) we have a small margin for error

?

Agee looked small out there and was lost. Not impressed. Rebounding is going to be a problem as we all thought before we were swept away by Pike’s optimism.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT