ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. Northwestern

good news - no one player is needed to be “on” to win. Sign of a dangerous team at tourney time
Maybe... to me it's just that we have to expect a cold shooting game or two and we're stuck hoping the defense is tight or the other team is off

Two wins away from first NCAA tournement in 30 years and we have no big time scorers, have no offense, can’t hit a 3 if our life depended on it, no perimeter D, Mathis and young are out of control, Harper is a D2 player, geo hiding, Cliff a weak kitty cat, anything else I missed? the big 10 and college basketball as a whole must be really down this year. Based on that I think we should decline the invite. This team should not embarrass us any longer. Not one additional game is worth the embarrassment we must endure to have a winning basketball team.

Take the win and be very happy.Northwestern stinks but the woeful offense allowed them to stay around until the end when Rutgers made foul shots.

Reactions: bac2therac
We played well for enough of the game to win. But our offensive deficiencies really make it hard for us to put teams like this away. It is a win and I will take it and move on

What the Big Ten guy is saying in the postgame coverage is what I think we all have been saying. RUs offense works best when they use teamwork to score. Quick passes, lots of movement off the ball. We aren’t a team of pure shooters or 1v1 scorers.
Real good analysis from these guys on the post-game show.

Reactions: MV9000 and mildone
JY getting it done? Are you watching the same game I did?
I agree. Johnson and Mulcahy were the rocks, plus early scores by Harper and some late 3s by McConnell. On D, it was a pretty good team effort by lots of guys.

I thought Young had an off game on O, but good on D. Geo seemed distracted at times.

Reactions: RU Mike73
Crazy:

why was Northwestern not fouling with under a 1:30 left down 9 vs one of the worst foul shooting teams in the nation? They were at 7 team fouls already. Crazy!

Someone asks this question every win. MJ, Cliff and Tez were either on the bench or not going to get the ball to foul them - you risk intentional off ball. Take them out and who are you putting at the line? geo? Caleb? Even Paul is pretty solid.

,i dont care they have a win over Ohio State, they have lost 11 in a row for a reason., they are bad and Buie has disappeared we should be beating them by 14 and they did nothing in this game really
Our D was great. Our O was bad, except for a couple short stretches of really good ball movement.

Reactions: RUsojo
Young is exactly the kind of player that will play you out of the ncaa tourney..think Earl Duncan in 91.....Ru can easily be beat by 11 seed St Bonnies with our level of play right now

concerning for me is Geo lack of production
Really strange tonight. He was almost deliberately not looking for his offense all night.

Indiana is good matchup though because Myles will make Davis work.

it will have to be better to beat Maryland and Indiana and any others.
I agree.

This RU team hasn’t unlocked it’s full potential yet this season. If we do, we can beat anybody. But we’re constantly struggling to be offensively consistent. Pike must be a little frustrated that the team reverts to 1v1 play so often.

Like the post game said, this team can be dangerous if we find our
Offense

I hope you find a new team to watch is more like it

Young keeps us in a ton of games.
I can’t kill Young at all tonight. He drives you nuts sometimes but honestly, he was huge when we went down 10 in the first half. And even after his two brain farts late in the second half he picks off a pass for a dunk to make up for it.

The young hate is so ****ing stupid it’s absurd. People take it to an extreme but he invaluable.
Completely agree. He has so much energy!! Just need him to slow down at times to be smart. Without him I think we lose
More games

Reactions: MV9000
Young is so streaky and a difference maker when he is in. But Mathis is an enigma. He works hard, plays good D but then gets wildly out of control on offense and it makes him pissed on defense and he starts committing silly fouls. I think he needs to shoot mid range jumpers and stay under control before you can give him more minutes. He has a lot of talent but gets so wacky with his choices.

In the end, the scoreboard showed we won easily by 14 points. But I have to criticize Pikiell, because just before Geo had his steal and layup blocked by Audige, we were up 14 or 16 points. Then Pikiell takes three starters out and puts in Tez, Young, and Omorui. Suddenly, we can't hit the broadside of a barn and the usual suspects make one boneheaded play after the other with TO's or just poor shot selection, and we see our lead dissipate from 14-16 points down to 3. That's on Pike. You CANNOT put those three kids in there together and expect them to gel, because they haven't gelled all season.

It's okay to blend them in with the starters, but once again Pike put them all in there and left them in too long. Not as bad as two games ago, where the starters didn't come back in until 8:30 minutes left in the game. (Today he put the starters back in at 12:40 to go.) But that's not the point. Against teams like Northwestern and Nebraska and Maryland coming up, Pike needs to keep the pedal to the metal and not allow teams to make runs where our offense becomes stale and predictable and we don't score one point for 6 plus minutes. Pike has got to knock that off.

The young hate is so ****ing stupid it’s absurd. People take it to an extreme but he invaluable.
Yeah I don't think we can poo-poo the things he does that no one else on the team can do. Sometimes you need a quick guard. With that said, his 2nd half tonight was putrid and shit like that will lose us a game if it happens at the wrong time.

I agree.

This RU team hasn’t unlocked it’s full potential yet this season. If we do, we can beat anybody. But we’re constantly struggling to be offensively consistent. Pike must be a little frustrated that the team reverts to 1v1 play so often.
We look good in stretches offensively when we move the ball but we have too many games with scoring droughts mixed in with live ball turnovers where we hold the ball on offense

Reactions: OTBOTOR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT