ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: 2024 Rutgers Football Spring Game

I don't care if the QB can run for 10 yards every carry.
We need a QB who can pass first.

A lot of people here often seem oblivious to the fact that the Greek was in the "Pro Style" recruit group (17th) and GW was in the "Dual Threat" recruit cohort (10th). Its not like all QBs are ranked as mere QBs and then little descriptors are attached. The guy at 11th behind GW is also a Dual Threat and the guy at 18th behind the Greek is also Pro Style. No sense in recruiting a DT and not running him while crying about his passing. Its like recruiting a SS and crying he's too slow for CB.

What kind of offense does RU want to run? In any case none will be great at RZ but the run will be better (like last year)

QCSHQwY.jpeg

17th Pro Style

10th Dula Threat

A lot of people here often seem oblivious to the fact that the Greek was in the "Pro Style" recruit group (17th) and GW was in the "Dual Threat" recruit cohort (10th). Its not like all QBs are ranked as mere QBs and then little descriptors are attached. The guy at 11th behind GW is also a Dual Threat and the guy at 18th behind the Greek is also Pro Style. No sense in recruiting a DT and not running him while crying about his passing. Its like recruiting a SS and crying he's too slow for CB.

What kind of offense does RU want to run? In any case none will be great at RZ but the run will be better (like last year)

QCSHQwY.jpeg

17th Pro Style

10th Dula Threat
no question about the different styles but at the end of the day, QB needs to be adept at throwing the ball in a variety of routes and situations. We have enough body of evidence to show that Gav will not be a p5 caliber QB. He was the last rated d1 QB last year. The fact that we even to have this discussion is a sad state of affairs and an utter failure by Greg to have competent QB play

that will be rectified this year and people will be very happy with what they see

can you imagine if you extrapolated 58% across last year how much different some of our game would have been? Gav struggled with some pretty routine throws today with zero to no pressure.

Reactions: socaldave
From the time I was in grad school
then you should have already answered your own question as you'd know that Greg controls everything and the runs were predetermined (discussed and then validated end of year). Greg isn't letting any 'dash and thrash' kid out there

Reactions: socaldave

QCSHQwY.jpeg

17th Pro Style

10th Dula Threat
If I’m being honest, which I try to be, I would say we are a run first, then play-action fake offense (you get the drift). But I haven’t seen how either QB executes that. Will take a look tonight but I don’t think the spring game will tell me too much.

If I’m being honest, which I try to be, I would say we are a run first, then play-action fake offense (you get the drift). But I haven’t seen how either QB executes that. Will take a look tonight but I don’t think the spring game will tell me too much.
play action? JHC between you and Kapuna, do you guys even watch our team?

Overall the program looks like it’s in good shape
The first drive by the Greek impressive
The pass to the TE over the middle after the first half 2 minute warning, scanned the field looked like the 3rd option, something we haven’t seen around here in a while followed by the TD pass perfectly thrown over the shoulder dropped in the basket.
Passes that help win games and allow the running backs to have big games.
Completely changes the offense
Vs last year.
Saw a lot of the same from GW over throws under throws. Can’t hit the long pass.
Was more decisive when he ran vs live action last year. Hard to say how that translates in a real game.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Overall the program looks like it’s in good shape
The first drive by the Greek impressive
The pass to the TE over the middle after the first half 2 minute warning, scanned the field looked like the 3rd option, something we haven’t seen around here in a while followed by the TD pass perfectly thrown over the shoulder dropped in the basket.
Passes that help win games and allow the running backs to have big games.
Completely changes the offense
Vs last year.
Saw a lot of the same from GW over throws under throws. Can’t hit the long pass.
Was more decisive when he ran vs live action last year. Hard to say how that translates in a real game.
agree and it looks like depth is there at some key positions

I would like to see some 4 receivers sets more than not!

no question about the different styles but at the end of the day, QB needs to be adept at throwing the ball in a variety of routes and situations. We have enough body of evidence to show that Gav will not be a p5 caliber QB. He was the last rated d1 QB last year. The fact that we even to have this discussion is a sad state of affairs and an utter failure by Greg to have competent QB play

that will be rectified this year and people will be very happy with what they see

can you imagine if you extrapolated 58% across last year how much different some of our game would have been? Gav struggled with some pretty routine throws today with zero to no pressure.

Last year someone posted a gif of GW throwing what they thought was a long bomb because of how long the completion took. I saw it was only a 35 yd pass and went way too high (out of the frame). People were all excited and I was like "nope" lol.

So I know the passing wasn't all there last year. But I also know (from Schiano presser) that the OL wasn't quite as good as people thought, and that avoiding long passes as a way to avoid the OL issues. I don't interpret spring games at all (seen too many Army scrimmages that looked like Ohio vs Michigan ).

I want to see how OL looks and how Dymere Miller works out in Sept. I didn't think RU had good long pass WRs last year even if there was a good OL. RUs red zone passing was pretty anemic last year and GW had 4 games with 2 rushing TD. He did set RU records for QB TDs and yard and he led the B1G. I doubt that will be swept under the carpet.

If the Greek plays tough (another reason to see Miller) then thats fine because I like pocket passing better just as a spectator. Right now I saw a OL that was practically perfect because the rush was third string or something. First thing I noticed was that Fooch could pass with a rush like that lol

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Don’t even know what you are yammering about here. Didn’t post in this thread. And I have been saying for years. There is very little play action no real RPO and Qb “reads” are pre determined from the sideline.

Greg defines ‘competent’ entirely different than all other D1 with the possible exception of Navy. To him, minimal passing is the desired model. We know this.

Probably more than you ever have. Is it really that difficult for you to resist being a total dick to others on this board? And before you jump in about bench warming here, yeah I know.

first QR: Wimsatt looks a lot the same, high passes out of reach passes and a missed touchdown breakout receiver by over throwing it. But he also took off running really well. Kaliakmanus or however you spell it, seems to be a definite upgrade on pass accuracy. Then again, his first throw was a clear pick 6 if the defender didn’t bobble it. just don’t know if he has the running capability as Wimsatt. Most veteran RBs aren’t playing but the young backs have potential.

That was his second throw. The exact same play as the previous play which was the same throw but complete.

How did Shepard look?
It seems everyone has overlooked him (rightly or wrongly) and gone right to Surace.

He throws kinda lazy looking sidearm - think athlete who plays QB. He hit those throws though so results do talk. I haven't seen enough of him to say more than that.

I will say this - AJ looked like a real QB - all of the moves. In the pocket, stepping up, leaving the pocket, his demeanor at QB just screamed QB to me. That said I didn't see enough to see if he was actually a real QB. He looked smallish, but like a "Real QB".

Last edited:
right now Gav is 3rd on my depth chart
AK
Shep
Gav
Surace
I'd go AK, Gav, AJ, Shep. And not just on how they looked but history too. Gav isn't dropping below 2 (hell he's likely not dropping below #1) AK just threw effortlessly on target but he's the new guy so he's likely going to get Schiano'ed. AJ looked good but after the top two it's really a tossup.

Probably more than you ever have. Is it really that difficult for you to resist being a total dick to others on this board? And before you jump in about bench warming here, yeah I know.
Petey … Churchill said famously (paraphrasing) he did like to learn but not like to be taught. I doubt you ever heard of Churchill but the point stands nonetheless.

Once again your panties are in a bunch over being taught.

Last edited:
Petey … Churchill said famously (paraphrasing) we like to learn but do not like to be taught. I doubt you ever heard of Churchill but the point stands nonetheless.

Once again your panties are in a bunch over being taught.
Wow. Drinking a little too much again Shelbster? I love how you think Petey is a witty response. Garbage poster.

Reactions: PaKnight
22 positions active on the field the whole game and all anybody wants to talk about is the QB. 🙂

If you can't beat 'em join 'em, I guess. I'm hearing and seeing nothing to change my thinking that the most likely starter is GW because I think he will ultimately appear to the coaching staff to be the best player to help the team win games.

But we'll all have to wait and see. From things Schiano said about this game, it was never going to provide much useful information to assist coachines in determining who to start at QB.

As usual, I think it'll be decided based on a ton lot of stuff no fan will ever be witness to.

then you should have already answered your own question as you'd know that Greg controls everything and the runs were predetermined (discussed and then validated end of year). Greg isn't letting any 'dash and thrash' kid out there
Exactly my point. Greg predetermined that GW was not going to run for fear of injury. With the depth at QB better this year that predetermination of not running can change.

AK16 makes his throws look easy and his release is quick and it looks natural. He can probably hit some three pointers on the hardwood I’m guessing.
TE’s and WR’s won’t be to blame whatever happens. Fletcher looks like he has WR quickness and speed.

Exactly my point. Greg predetermined that GW was not going to run for fear of injury. With the depth at QB better this year that predetermination of not running can change.

I guess it's possible. I did see one change in the Rutgers "Read Option" execution. Gavin kept the ball in the RBs midsection for a lot longer then previous years. So maybe they are prepping to actually execute the Read Option (and allow GW to run) instead of the Rutgers version of faking it.

I'm not hopeful.

it was a really dumb comment by you and no, you don't knw what you're watching if that is what you think. sorry if your feels are hurt but will call out stupidity when I see it
there is a lot on this board

I'm pleasantly upbeat with both qbs. It might not be great or even good enough, but as much as one can gather from a spring game, it will be better IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone

Greg said in his presser that the spring game isn't much of a measure - "more for the fans" and to give the HS kids a big stadium look he said.

OB is a funny spot in that there are a lot of things to learn and only a dozen games a year to learn them. Guys that start out good can go bad and vice versa. My high school QB was mediocre. We had an all-state basketball TE but coach didn't want to pass to him. Half the OL was great (one went to NYG camp) and the rest a disaster.

When my friend went to college he was doing well but by Jr year he was throwing lasers. If you ran out for a long ball you could hear it coming without looking (Namath was like that). I didn't even want to catch for him and get my fingers jammed. He end-up with 7 yr pro career (most in USFL). He went to a NYG camp and Belichick used to call him "Whip" because he could throw far and hard .

In any case, 16 yr old Ashokan would never have belived his QB bud would be in a Dallas Cowboy camp and Sports Ilustrated photos with Danny White. Running backs can get by on some raw ability but a QB has to have skills, support talent and QB coaching. We see lot of talented QBs get drafter but they go to teams that wreck QBs.

People could hate on Vedral, but for having no blocking and oft injured receivers, he was good at what he did on that particlular team. Then people wanted Wimsatt to start without even knowing much. "We have a real QB recruit why are we not using him?" I used to read. Then people started hating Wimsatt and wanted someone off the bench. Now the Greek is seen as a deliverer but its too early to see that. If he was that good Minn would not have let him go so easy.

Need to see the OL and new WRs (Greg said the room is a lot improved this year ). Maybe one of the other guys starts to flash. You can get surprised by guys maturing and getting good coaching and support talent. I can see a starter making a mistake and people will start hating and calling for the other guy and then they will hate him lol.

This is supposed to be the "mastery year" for GW in Kirk's system so he should start to flash early if he's on schedule. Greek knows Kirk's system so he shouldn't be too lost in playbook. Only a few real games will tell. This is one of those years where you see "the lights go on" for some players. When asked about this spring's practices Greg said "it felt like I was watching a real football team that's developed, and not just watching a bunch of guys running plays." That's a big deal for a football team.

GW's boss skill is the way he eats-up yardage on his bursts. He's not a scrambler like Kyler Murray. If he gets medium sized gap with a little room to make a hard cut he can be gone for 40 yds. He has a huge stride. I saw it first thing in his HS tape. If he gets the accuracy polished he could scare DCs because you cant lean pass over run and vice versa

Last edited:
I’m impressed with Brantley. AK has the edge if we don’t need QB run option. I think it will be GW because the OL will not hold up.

it was a really dumb comment by you and no, you don't knw what you're watching if that is what you think. sorry if your feels are hurt but will call out stupidity when I see it
there is a lot on this board
I really meant to say run to set up the pass is what we should be and aspire to be, but didn’t state it well. Either way, you could dial it down. You go after multiple posters that way. Do you really think you’re smarter than everyone else here or have better insight? Hate to tell you, that’s not the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT