ADVERTISEMENT

Garden State Showcase Tournament

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
I see on our schedule that once again we are a part of this tournament where it seems we force 3 of our OOC teams to play each other and us in a 4-team round-Robin. This year it’s Bryant, Drexel, and Stephen F Austin. All 3 come to the RAC, and then go off and play each other at their own arenas. We had this last year too I’m pretty sure and won all 3 games, so I have a couple questions:

1. Is there a trophy for it, or standings of any sort, and how are they decided, since there is no bracket part of it, just a round robin.

2. What is the reasoning behind it? Is it to take advantage of some loophole where we get to play more games if we are a part of a “tournament” that we made up, etc, or do we get some sort of extra practices or monetary benefit. Ie why not just schedule our games against these teams and move on, why does Drexel play an Away game in Texas against SFA and it’s considered the “Garden State Classic” .

I see on our schedule that once again we are a part of this tournament where it seems we force 3 of our OOC teams to play each other and us in a 4-team round-Robin. This year it’s Bryant, Drexel, and Stephen F Austin. All 3 come to the RAC, and then go off and play each other at their own arenas. We had this last year too I’m pretty sure and won all 3 games, so I have a couple questions:

1. Is there a trophy for it, or standings of any sort, and how are they decided, since there is no bracket part of it, just a round robin.

2. What is the reasoning behind it? Is it to take advantage of some loophole where we get to play more games if we are a part of a “tournament” that we made up, etc, or do we get some sort of extra practices or monetary benefit. Ie why not just schedule our games against these teams and move on, why does Drexel play an Away game in Texas against SFA and it’s considered the “Garden State Classic” .

1. No trophy

2. This is exactly right. If you play in an event, whether it's the Maui invitational or something made-up like this, then you can schedule 31 games. Otherwise I believe the cap is 29.

I Believe this may be the 4TH or 5TH straight year of the Garden State Classic round robin “showcase”. It guarantees RU three low major Winnable home games. I think in one of the years past RU actually had a double header where two of these low majors played first

It also helps low major teams in scheduling as they agree to play in the round robin format, and RU may incur some of the cost?? Low majors like these have a hard time in finding non conference games so it helps them most.

I hope Pike gets away from this style of scheduling, but I fear he strongly believes his B1G twenty games allows him enough opportunity to earn a bid

ending the season at 17-14 vs 15-14 makes a huge difference for perception with casual fans. Throw in 1 B10 tourney wins and you are now 19-15 or 17-15.

These 2 extra easier games give you 2 wins that can get you an nit bid.

How many times have we seen a much weaker team that ends up with 21 wins in a weak conference that we beat make the post season while we are at home in march.

These weaker teams may go 14-4 in conference and add 3 more wins in a conf tourney. they may go 5-8 OOC.
That is 17 conf wins in a weak conference where they end up 22-13

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT