ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin needs more touches…

Fair enough and now I’ll flip it. Are we now at that point that we can’t even discuss the team, rotation, minutes, etc, without other fans saying that we’re “complaining”. I love Pike, but we also have to recognize that for all of the reasons you mentioned we are no longer in the same position. Right or wrong, certain level of recruits are treated differently than others. So, I’m not sure how we can blindly trust Pike in this situation when he has already stated Gavin is the most talented kid he’s ever recruited. We haven’t been here before and it’s only going to become a more significant aspect of the program next year.

I do think Gavin needs more touches. I think he is critical to our success this year because quite honestly I’m not convinced our small guards will consistently get to the rim in league play. We’re also playing very good defense, but the competition hasn’t been good. So, I think it is more than fair for fans to look for some sets to be run for Gavin so that he can accelerate his development.

I'll flip it back to you......below is the post I was responding to and you can tell me that this is just a fair type of discussion point on rotations and not a histrionic complaint.....especially given the facts and stats I presented for Gavin who is currently averaging 22mpg and is 2nd in shot attempts....and likely at the top in attempts per 36. To me this all just smells of people complaining about Pike not knowing what he is doing....reading between the lines people are essentially saying that Pike is good enough to get RU in a position to secure these highly ranked recruits yet not good enough to coach them. Even your post points out your lack of trust in the coach. Sorry, but I'm not on board with this at all. Gavin has work to do on the defensive side of the ball and his offensive efficiency is still very much also a work in progress. He's already starter minutes and starter level shot attempts....he needs to progress further before he also gets the ball even more.....it's likely Pike realizes this and fans are just being overly impatient with their new toy.

I blame Pike. You need to sacrifice some D for offense. You’re never going to take the next step playing just defenders who can’t hit the side of the barn on offense. And you won’t continue to get big time recruits if you are sitting guys who can play offense.

• Haha
Reactions: MiloTalon13
FYI - anyone else wondering if Milo's obsessive serial use of laughing emoji without any contextualization is the new replacement for the old "star" thread ratings.

Reactions: Scangg
I’ll do my best to respond to each point:

- Gavin’s usage has clearly changed. While technically his minutes may be the same, the last 2-3 games he is not playing in the critical stretches. It doesn’t make sense for him not to get off the bench in the first 5+ minutes of each half. And his global minutes are deceiving because many have come in garbage time that won’t exist once league play arrives.

- Forget the total number of shots Gavin has taken so far this year. There is a trend over the last 4 games - 11, 9, 8, 5 shots. Now I get that some of it might be getting a better feel for the game, and that’s good, but burying him in the corner is a waste if we’re not doing anything to get him open shots. We might disagree — and that’s all good because I could be wrong — but IMO the kid needs to be a volume shooter for us to win against real competition.

- Our guards love to put their heads down and drive to the rim. It leads to mixed results and a lot of blown layups. I don’t want them to stop altogether, but they need to realize one of the main reasons Gavin is stuck in the corner is that the defense will collapse on penetration and that will open him up. As someone else mentioned, I don’t think one guard all year has driven and kicked it out to Gavin for a 3. That should be a staple in the offense.

- Gavin does need to improve on defense but he can’t learn on the bench. When we’re struggling to score — and it happens almost every game — I’d rather sacrifice a little on the defensive end to kick start the offense with Gavin.

Maybe Gavin plays 20+ on Saturday, scores 10-12 pts and we win. In that case, I might be wrong. Once again, all good with me.

I'd love to comment but I've only seen two games!!!!

Are we finally done with the BTN+ games?
My kingdom for a Peacock or cable streaming game.

I don’t like the stagnant stay in the corner on offense we are regulating GG to. It’s brutal.
Kid needs to get screens and make cuts to get open and get the ball in his hands. This is where our offense will come from when jot in the hands of Noah or simpson.

This is the best offense we have rather than posting up Cliff…attack attack attack the rim and kick out if needed

The best use of Cliff is when people are attacking the basket and he gets open looks or rebounding for putbacks. Throwing the ball to him in the low post is not proving efficient and not the game anymore especially when he goes up weak(jumpshot) and not attacking the rim(dunks).
Absolutely nailed it.

I'll keep saying it. Gavin isn't just a spot up shooter. Get him moving with off ball screens or swing it quickly with ball reversals. Even if Gavin isn't open for the 3, the defenders will be moving and he has shown that in that scenario he gets into the lane with ease. He can get all the way to the rim, top and hit in mid range, or drive to dish. He has already penetrated to the foul line and dumped it off for an easy bucket to the block multiple times.

More specifically…Cliffs best offense is created off of high pick and rolls. Last night when we actually close in score to St Pete’s and failing to show any life on offense we went to that and Simpson was able to create and get a layup. To me this is where Cliff excels and should be more of our go to offense especially with a sharpshooter like Gavin on the wing when defenders will need to collapse down. I would limit the amount of post passes we do into Cliff as it’s clearly not working for him nor the guards with turnovers too
Even if the high ball screens aren't working that well, it gets the defense moving and opens up the lane for penetration. There was a play where Cliff started to come up for a ball screen and before he even got there the guard blew by his man and got to the rim. If Cliff stayed in the low block, that lane isn't there. Guard didn't need the screen. He just needed the space

FYI - anyone else wondering if Milo's obsessive serial use of laughing emoji without any contextualization is the new replacement for the old "star" thread ratings.
It's strange how often he uses it. Sometimes it's appropriate, but it's at sooooo many posts. Some are maybe something you disagree with but it's a reasonable point. Save it for the truly terrible takes or it loses its impact

• Wow

- Gavin’s usage has clearly changed. While technically his minutes may be the same, the last 2-3 games he is not playing in the critical stretches. It doesn’t make sense for him not to get off the bench in the first 5+ minutes of each half. And his global minutes are deceiving because many have come in garbage time that won’t exist once league play arrives.

- Forget the total number of shots Gavin has taken so far this year. There is a trend over the last 4 games - 11, 9, 8, 5 shots. Now I get that some of it might be getting a better feel for the game, and that’s good, but burying him in the corner is a waste if we’re not doing anything to get him open shots. We might disagree — and that’s all good because I could be wrong — but IMO the kid needs to be a volume shooter for us to win against real competition.

- Our guards love to put their heads down and drive to the rim. It leads to mixed results and a lot of blown layups. I don’t want them to stop altogether, but they need to realize one of the main reasons Gavin is stuck in the corner is that the defense will collapse on penetration and that will open him up. As someone else mentioned, I don’t think one guard all year has driven and kicked it out to Gavin for a 3. That should be a staple in the offense.

- Gavin does need to improve on defense but he can’t learn on the bench. When we’re struggling to score — and it happens almost every game — I’d rather sacrifice a little on the defensive end to kick start the offense with Gavin.

Maybe Gavin plays 20+ on Saturday, scores 10-12 pts and we win. In that case, I might be wrong. Once again, all good with me.
Bro you are spot on! It almost feels like he’s getting “froze out” as we used to say. It’s silly really.. no drive and kick , he’s open so many times. He better play a lot against Illini and score in high double figures or we lose

It's strange how often he uses it. Sometimes it's appropriate, but it's at sooooo many posts. Some are maybe something you disagree with but it's a reasonable point. Save it for the truly terrible takes or it loses its impact
I think he reserves it for posts where you don't explicitly state that Gavin is the second coming of Jesus Christ

Becoming?

Less Gavin hiding in the corner like he's a one dimensional spot up 3 point shooter who can't do anything else. That's fine for Oskar. It's not using Gavin's strengths effectively. He can shoot it and drive to both score and dish

The offense has not been good enough. If we are going to rely on one on one bball then Gavin should be one of the players in the mix relied on to make plays

#LetGavinCook
For every point he scores he give it up on defensive end. The offense druels when Oskar or Gavin are guarding them

• Haha
Lol...now do every other guard
Not only is his defense bad but he doesn’t rebound either. He really has done nothing but shoot well. Not sure how he was rated five stars. I think he will be good down the line just clearly not ready to defend in this conference

IMO..He’s not touching the ball nearly enough when he’s in. Hyatt is becoming a bit of a ball hog. The kid can shoot and needs to be more involved. Looks almost like he’s being ignored 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hope his minutes increase during Big10 schedule.
YES! Yes! Yes!

Reactions: runner3283
Gavin needs more touches and Hyatt needs to play within himself.

Good things happen when those both occur.

GO RU
IMO he still looks very tentative offensively. He is not very athletic and doesn’t appear yet to be able to create his own shot. I still think the college game is still too fast for him

IMO he still looks very tentative offensively. He is not very athletic and doesn’t appear yet to be able to create his own shot. I still think the college game is still too fast for him
I think he can take ball to the basket for a score and spot up. He doesn’t seem like a back to the basket type player. He needs more mins because he’s our only pure shooter and has length.

GO RU

He is our best offensive player easily
Yes he is. He is the only player who can get decent looks, and the only player who looks like he knows what he is doing on offense. I would rather lose badly starting Gavin and have him play 35 minutes and be the focal point of the offense than have Simpson’s wild drives to the basket, Hyatt’s super inefficient shots and horrible ball handling and Cliff’s fall away one handed flings be our offense.

Yes he is. He is the only player who can get decent looks, and the only player who looks like he knows what he is doing on offense. I would rather lose badly starting Gavin and have him play 35 minutes and be the focal point of the offense than have Simpson’s wild drives to the basket, Hyatt’s super inefficient shots and horrible ball handling and Cliff’s fall away one handed flings be our offense.

Absolutely

He’s by far the most skilled offensive player and it is criminal that Pike hasn’t bothered trying to feature him yet. With that said, he is soft on D and rebounding. Not a “tough” player yet that realizes what it takes to win at this level.

He’s by far the most skilled offensive player and it is criminal that Pike hasn’t bothered trying to feature him yet. With that said, he is soft on D and rebounding. Not a “tough” player yet that realizes what it takes to win at this level.
Who besides maybe Austin Williams was tough today????? We were slapped around like a redheaded stepchild today.

he is a freshmen, like J Mike...both possess something most others do not...the problem is as freshmen they are now being judged as harshly as 4 and 5 year players which isnt fair

• Love
Reactions: Scangg and SBP

Great point about our guards not kicking the ball out for open threes on drives. We are not seeing that. When a guard on this team drives they put their head down and out a shot up. No thought of a kick out or a dish to Cliff for a dunk. The list of things this team performs poorly at is unfortunately longer than the list of what they excel at. Looking like a long year.

Not only is his defense bad but he doesn’t rebound either. He really has done nothing but shoot well. Not sure how he was rated five stars. I think he will be good down the line just clearly not ready to defend in this conference

Griffiths 1 reb in 19min
Hyatt 1 reb in 27min
Fernandes 1 reb in 28min
Woolf 2 reb in 24 min
Simpson 2 reb in 22 min

Now which of them are shooting well or playing great defense?

At least Gavin has the shooting and scoring ability.

Griffiths 1 reb in 19min
Hyatt 1 reb in 27min
Fernandes 1 reb in 28min
Woolf 2 reb in 24 min
Simpson 2 reb in 22 min

Now which of them are shooting well or playing great defense?

At least Gavin has the shooting and scoring ability.
If you think any of those guys are defensive liabilities compared to Gavin and Oskar than you don’t know what you are watching. As soon as either of those guys come in the offense targets whoever they are guarding. They are both 6’8”. You would expect them to rebound more than Noah and Simpson.

he is a freshmen, like J Mike...both possess something most others do not...the problem is as freshmen they are now being judged as harshly as 4 and 5 year players which isnt fair

Don’t get me wrong. I want him to play big minutes and be featured of offense, but don’t assume we’ll immediately be a better team.

The painful reality is Gavin shouldnt get any touches because he shouldnt play.

His defense is a joke. When Shannon dribbled at him he watched him and then tapped him for a foul as he went by.

Twice Gavin was in a position to take a charge and he didnt have the guts too.

People dont want to hear this but it is true.

His defense is a joke. When Shannon dribbled at him he watched him and then tapped him for a foul as he went by.

Shannon had his way with everyone on our team

I’ll trade that for more offense any day. Ya got “Big Cliff” to protect the rim 👍😂

Reactions: FinalFourOrBust

Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me

I wouldn’t say guts. I think that’s a little unfair. He just doesn’t know how to use his body yet imo. I wouldn’t write him off he’s young. I’ve already seen improvement it’s just gonna take time.

Reactions: SirScarlet
I generally refrain from criticizing Pike on rotations, but his handling of Gavin is baffling.

This is an offensively challenged team. We’re not good enough on D to beat teams if we can’t even put up 60, and limiting Gavin’s minutes seems like a good way to make sure we don’t put up 60.

If you think any of those guys are defensive liabilities compared to Gavin and Oskar than you don’t know what you are watching. As soon as either of those guys come in the offense targets whoever they are guarding. They are both 6’8”. You would expect them to rebound more than Noah and Simpson.

It’s a scale with pros and cons.
Are any of them offensive assets like GG could be?

Is their defense and “rebounding”adequately compensating for their defensive improvement over Gavin or Oskar?

Is the other team not salivating when Woolf is on offense?
Or when Hyatt is dribbling the ball through the floor and chucking up shoots?
Or when Simpson, Davis and Fernandes are crashing to the rim and getting blocked or missing a low percentage contested layup?

He is our best offensive player easily
THIS!!!! Even if he is lacking in other areas we desperately need his offense right now. For example, Cliff/JMike are such a liabilities on offense wouldn't it be good to have somebody offset that? Cliff/JMike both great defensively - where Gavin is not. Seems to me you would want to have a balance - not what Pike is doing which is that every player must buy in defensively. That's great in theory, but you have to put together puzzle pieces here that have both positive and negative attributes - the perfect player doesn't exist on this team - Pike's job is to fit these pieces together. 100% Gavin should be seeing more minutes as what he is as a player right now!

I wouldn’t say guts. I think that’s a little unfair. He just doesn’t know how to use his body yet imo. I wouldn’t write him off he’s young. I’ve already seen improvement it’s just gonna take time.
He has been in this program a few months.

I am not writing him off, but right now he isnt ready.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT