ADVERTISEMENT

Gavitt Recap.....B1G lack of hunger and RU

I’m late to this conversation ...but a few comments that mostly support Hawks take

1.) right now...the big ten is 2-7 against other power conference in head to head. Whatever the future reality might be...that’s a start that , if it is not reversed with a major rebound , WILL affect the computer rankings and conference hierarchy for the season. If the big ten is the 5th-6th best conference in the computers ...it’s going to have a major effect on the ability of the 8th, 9th and 10th team from the big ten getting to the ncaa ...something that happened last year and likely the year before. And this could be the difference between for teams on the bubble . Still early, but it’s a hot take on things. This matters if you are 10-10
In confrence. Last two years, you were clearly in the ncaa at 10-10 as the number 1 or 2 confrence. As the number 5 or 6 confrence? Trouble .

2.). I saw a lot of the gavitt games...and I also thought that a lot of the big ten teams felt out of whack and lacked intensity.

3.) as far as RU is concerned , there has been a lack of urgency this season. Period. RU is a defensive and rebounding minded team, starting with its head coach. You need to take the court with with “the eye of the tiger “ mentality ...you take the court every time with the mindset that you will not let your opponent get comfortable and in sync. And every team we played this season got a chance to get into sync and comfortable, partially because we have not brought the Energy. Highly disappointed from a team that has upper classmen...and it’s why if you look at our opposition and the collective scores in the first half ..it’s not surprising at all.

This team needs a massive wake up call and needs to bring the energy all of the time. We aren’t good enough to just show up and win. We were fortunate to beat Lehigh as well and could very well be 2-2 right now

I don’t want our players going Grayson Allen on people. I am OK with helping an opponent up.

carrying on conversations that span many possessions with opponents do not sit well with me.

Wow.
Wow.
Wow.

You are a professor from a mountain top lecturing to an apathetic fan base? Seriously. Rutgers has one of the most fervent and hungry fan bases in the country. Rutgers is not losing because of a fan base.
And now Rutgers is losing because it is the hunted?
You pose Seton Hall?Do you think Rutgers is more of a statement game than at Michigan or Texas two nights before?????

Back off on Rutgers fans. This board is more active than any board but Michigan and the RAC is according to Bilas a top 10 atmosphere! Nothing had changed there. My goodness.
You accusing someone else for being professorial is ironically comical

Wow Hawk. Every team plays the game to win it. That's the whole point of playing. Results have nothing to do with who is "hungrier". Come on, you're better than that.
Eh...thats not true at all and you know it.

I am not saying the only reason the bug east teams won is that they were more intense...however, how hard/intense a team plays absolutely factors in their ability to win games. And plays an enormous factor in the outcome. Some nights a team plays harder than their opponent and that's why they win. That literally happens every single day in all sports.

Now I am not making any value judgment at all in these games because the only game I saw was the Rutgers game. Just saying your comment is - IMHO - inaccurate

This is how the Gavitt games matched up, and the teams turnover from 2020-21 to 2021-22, better to lose a higher minutes % than scoring %.

Wisconsin returned 42.2% minutes, 33.5% scoring,
Providence 64.7% and 63.9% WIN

Illinois 63.4% 60.0%, Cockburn(susp.)
Marquette 17.9%, 17.9%, WIN
Marquette 5-0, picked up 5th yr.Kur Kuath from Oklahoma, 5th yr Darryl Morsell from Maryland and have 7 second year(Prosper- Clemson, Kolek- George Mason, their own) or true freshman, class of 2020 21st, 2021 19th. Shaka Smart has made it work. I'd take Shaka over Underwood any day of the.week.

Seton Hall 58 1%, 56.9% WIN
Michigan 40.4%, 40.8%
Lost more than I thought from last year

Creighton 18.1%, 15.8% WIN
Good team last year, good coach In McDermott
Nebraska 50.5%, 49.6%
Bad team last few years

Mich St.47.7%, 45.7% WIN
Butler 96.1, 97.2%
Not a good team, not changing isn't good

St. John's 39.3%, 44.2%
lost wasted minutes than scoring
Indiana 64.2%, 62.7% WIN

Ohio St 64.5%, 64.8%
Xavier 78.6, 84.7% WIN
lost 6.1% wasted minutes, than scoring

Rutgers 61.0%, 55.3%
Gained 1 P6, 1 mid major, lost 3 P6 transfers
Depaul 28.4%, 32.2% WIN
lost 3.8% wasted minutes than scoring
Brought in 3 transfers from P6 schools

Experience of playing together for seasons goes a long way on successful teams, unless you have great coaching.

No excuses. After being the best conference for a few years the B1G got schooled. All the top coaches in this league should never let this happen.

Reactions: bac2therac
Wow Hawk. Every team plays the game to win it. That's the whole point of playing. Results have nothing to do with who is "hungrier". Come on, you're better than that.
Unbelievable.

Anyone who has participated extensively in athletics knows how important effort is. Teams that are hungrier do indeed win the majority of games against teams of equal talent.

I suspect that the highest level of competition some experts here have seen is pick-up games. and even in those games, the guys that hustle more are more successful.

Do you think Schiano is out there during time-outs trying to psyche-up his players simply to let off steam?

Rebounding and defense require extensive focus and effort. One of Pike's strengths has been getting his players to exert maximum effort in areas that don't necessarily show up in the box score.

Unbelievable.

Anyone who has participated extensively in athletics knows how important effort is. Teams that are hungrier do indeed win the majority of games against teams of equal talent.

I suspect that the highest level of competition some experts here have seen is pick-up games. and even in those games, the guys that hustle more are more successful.

Do you think Schiano is out there during time-outs trying to psyche-up his players simply to let off steam?

Rebounding and defense require extensive focus and effort. One of Pike's strengths has been getting his players to exert maximum effort in areas that don't necessarily show up in the box score.
I don’t think the effort is there a lot of the time this year. He pulls Jones for lack of effort but seems afraid to pull some of the veterans when it’s clear their effort wanes also. You can say what you want about players like Young (I know I did), but he gave 110% at all times. The same can’t be said of Johnson, and Mathis last year and several of the vets this year.

To help the masses, this is not isolated to just RU vs DePaul, but a general sense of what we saw in 4 days of basketball.....and when you are the best league in College Basketball or at worse the best or 2nd best over an extended period of time of the last 3 years, the vibe from watching is the B1G kinda rested on itself......

What we saw was a lack of urgency across most of the games....I can only say with confidence that Nebraska and Indiana played with a sense of urgency....maybe because Indiana has a new coach and they had a strong home court, but the rest felt very "lax".

Good stuff. Agreed.

We have all seen players taking plays "off".. watching. That's how you get upsets.

A bunch of the losses were very close games. If the Big East wants to be number 1 for now.. fine. Big Ten is 1.25

Unbelievable.

Unfair criticism because you ignored the context in which my post was offered. Of course effort counts. You need to take into consideration, however, that the OP’s premise is that only the Big East Teams put forth sufficient effort to win their games because “ they were all hungrier.” You buying that?

Eh...thats not true at all and you know it.

I am not saying the only reason the bug east teams won is that they were more intense...however, how hard/intense a team plays absolutely factors in their ability to win games. And plays an enormous factor in the outcome. Some nights a team plays harder than their opponent and that's why they win. That literally happens every single day in all sports.

Now I am not making any value judgment at all in these games because the only game I saw was the Rutgers game. Just saying your comment is - IMHO - inaccurate
The statement that all teams want to win their games is untrue? Where did I say that effort doesn’t count? I’m just calling the OP’s premise that the only reason the Big East won the series is because their teams were hungrier than their Big 10 opponents B.S.

Michigan getting hammered at Arizona after losing close to Seton Hall. Just maybe that #4 national ranking and #1 in the B1G preseason poll was a touch high...

3 or 4 of the big losses were down to the wire. I am not sure that means the best team won. Hurts the resume yes but I would be hesitant to say the big won’t be one of the best conferences again by the end of the season. Also the big has excellent coaching throughout. Finally there was a lot of turnover on big rosters. The league will get better.

Last edited:
Michigan lost too much in the off season. I was surprised they only returned 40% of their minutes and scoring from 2020-21. It didn't help Arizona learned alot the night before and came together in the OT win over a pretty good Wichita St team, UM beating a meh UNLV team the night before, led to the result.

The league will get better.
I don't have the numbers, but I'll bet 80-90% of the major OOC games played by the B1G will be over in a few weeks. From a NCAA tournament perspective the league won't be getting better even if it is.

If B1G doesn't start winning game now the amount of teams invited to the dance will be more about the slope of the standings than anything else. If you have a bunch of 10-10 teams the league could be back to the 4 bids we saw 4-5 years ago.

big ten being exposed by the day and yet some people here parrot this is the best conference every day

I don't have the numbers, but I'll bet 80-90% of the major OOC games played by the B1G will be over in a few weeks. From a NCAA tournament perspective the league won't be getting better even if it is.

If B1G doesn't start winning game now the amount of teams invited to the dance will be more about the slope of the standings than anything else. If you have a bunch of 10-10 teams the league could be back to the 4 bids we saw 4-5 years ago.
No I get that. Thanks

I posted Wednesday, after Tuesday results, the standings
Current standings as of today
Wed Pac 12 1) 28-8, today 5) 37-14
Wed SEC 2) 30-4, today 4) 45-9
Wed BE 3) 26-2, today 2) 39-7
Butler L MSU, SJU L Indiana, Nova L Purd, Creighton L CSU, Marq L SBA
Wed Big 12 4) 21-2, today 3) 35-4
WVU L Marquette, Oklahoma L Utah St(Lost to UC-Davis)
Wed WCC 5) 27-7, today 8) 34-11
Wed B1G 6) 32-7, today 1) 46-11
Md L George Mason, L Rutgers L Depaul, tOSU L Xavier, UM L U of A
All 4 losses to undefeated teams, wins against good competition
Wed ACC 7) 34-8, today 7) 48-17
Wed AAC 8) 26-5, today 6) 34-14

How quickly it flips over 5 days.

Last edited:

If it actually does get better that is the worst case scenario as it means we play a tougher schedule and don't get credit for it. If the Big Ten loses OOC I certainly hope those teams are actually weaker.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Jones D is a problem and I'm sure his lack of PT is Pike's way to get him to dig deeper on D.
jones is a freshman...has played 7 to 10 minutes a game in the first 4 games of the season. why has everyone picked up on this ...Jones cant play defense n that's why he is not getting more PT. Imo he needs game experience to improve his all-around play as a college freshman. I feel his defense will improve the more he plays... after 4 games, He and Hyatt need to play major minutes this year and some upperclasmen need to play less asap.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT