ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker Tweet

Thats totally fine. Basically no one watches college basketball to pay attention fot nba purposes. Id venture to say 99%+ of all people watching college ball watch for the name on the front rather than the name on the back. I hope the g league does that so these kids can stop complaining and just realize theyre not as good as they think
And my prediction was based on a lot of ifs. The league obviously still has a lot of decisions to make before they get there.

Oh trust me, i dont care lol. I dont watch college basketball to see 1 and dones. The college product is so so so so much better without 1 and dones. They need to bring back kids being able to declare out of high school

The college product is much better with 1 and done caliber talents. If you love college basketball so much that you don't care if the players are actually good or not you must love tuning in to watch SWAC and MEAC games.

Now would the college product be better if those elite talents stayed 3 or 4 years? Sure. But kids found out they could be far better off going pro instead of staying in college for years. Congrats to them.

I love college basketball, but if all the best kids just go pro without ever playing in college it will mostly shrivel up and die. We root for the names on the front of the jersey, but for most only as much as those kids are actually fairly good at what they do. If you took the top 100 players each year and they totally skipped college, the product would be atrocious and nobody would watch.

That's on you then bud! Pony up the cash and you can go there!

They went there when there was no event going on
Have no idea of the point. I can afford it. I do want to. And it was about them being out and not locked in their rooms as suggested. Thread is well pay this already.

As college basketball and college football is becoming more expensive to be competitive (coaches salaries and players facilties) other collegiate sports are being cut.

The college product is much better with 1 and done caliber talents. If you love college basketball so much that you don't care if the players are actually good or not you must love tuning in to watch SWAC and MEAC games.

Now would the college product be better if those elite talents stayed 3 or 4 years? Sure. But kids found out they could be far better off going pro instead of staying in college for years. Congrats to them.

I love college basketball, but if all the best kids just go pro without ever playing in college it will mostly shrivel up and die. We root for the names on the front of the jersey, but for most only as much as those kids are actually fairly good at what they do. If you took the top 100 players each year and they totally skipped college, the product would be atrocious and nobody would watch.
Totally disagree.

The hypocrisy is we "claim", we want actual student athletes, we claim we want admissions standards and if a kid is actually bright and tall or skilled, he's supposedly required to be dumb, very quickly....if he took an economics 101 or 201, the kid isn't dumb......just because he's 6'10 or 6'4 and the rest of the normal population here is maybe 5'10 to 6'1, why is that Geo Baker or Jordan Bohannon's fault???

Bohannon shouldn't be so good making 3s, hitting FTs, getting hip surgery and back surgery while helping and securing a 4 year contract extension at 2.3M for Fran McCaffrey at Iowa......how much of that McCaffrey extension is Luka Garza responsible for....?? Does Fran get an extension if Bohannon doesn't bounce back or Garza decided to play at Georgetown or UVA, vs Iowa.....??

Let's be honest folks....as long as the games are played and nothing is interrupted, you are fine.....I don't see why everyone is so against someone who is better than 99.7% of the population at a skill, and how he or she gets nothing for it......

Do we want to watch Spring Training Baseball.....do we want to watch 1 of 82 games in the NBA.....?? I could follow that and fall asleep and feel comfortable at night.....

If you just collected 2% of the money bet on Wall Street for the last 20 years in wagers and office pools and put it in an annuity for players in college hoops or football, you would solve the problem......but hey, tell that player to go to class at 6:10, after catching the L Bus or the A Bus going to Busch.....just so the normal students can feel better about themselves......

flux,

it is pretty obvious how it would end. Schools would eventually cut all programs except basketball and football and keep woman's sports that are the least expensive per person. eventually all but 25 to 30 schools would ultimately survive.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
No worries. Not playing this game with you. Hopefully we come out strong and don't see all your rants in the game thread due to horrible play.

?

I’ve ranted in a couple game threads but I mostly stay out of them. I try to concentrate on watching the game.

To the 'Why now?' crowd, please stop! NOW is the perfect time for this conversation to get the attention and hopefully the traction that it deserves. The NCAA has drug their heels on this conversation for YEARS. They throw a bone out last year and then continue to delay any type of decision. It's a joke. NIL should be table stakes at this point. If the NCAA doesn't evolve, they will cease to exist. Good for Geo, Ron and others for using the platform to force conversation on change. If you think this makes them any less focused on winning a game Friday, you must have never picked up a ball in your life. They will be ready to play.
I doubt the NCAA will cease to exist. Here’s the thing, at least my opinion / perspective: There will always be players that will come and play and appreciate the opportunity to play in addition to the tuition et all. Here’s the punch line: I really don’t care if it’s the most talented players. I go to HS and even grammar school games to watch hoops. Players need to get over themselves.

They’re student athletes not pros. They’re already getting a free education...

And wouldn’t recruiting just turn into basically a bidding war?

You're confusing paying players with getting money for NIL. I do not believe players should have salary. That would result in bidding war and many student athletes would earn less than their scholarship on the free market.

However, NIL is a different issue. Players with marketability should be able to capitalize beyond the university structure.

I repeat players should NOT be paid salary. Players should be able to capitalize on their name image and likeness.

They’re student athletes not pros. They’re already getting a free education...

And wouldn’t recruiting just turn into basically a bidding war?

There's non-student athletes that get a free education too and they're able to make money in ways that the students athletes can't. That's the double standard/problem in many peoples' eyes.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
In a thread filled with some stupid comments...that one takes the cake.

So, Geo Baker talking about his position on the Name, Image and Likeness issue is a reflection on you as an alumni. Really?
Let me help you out. When he is doing so in a Rutgers Uniform anything he says or does is. If it wasn't. Nobody would be beating their chest when he does something great or gets featured on BTN or ESPN. People are really getting all excited for just Geo Baker? Or our Geo who,plays for Rutgers? The B1G brought in Rutgers because we were so loaded with quality studded athletes our because of the Alumn base and monitary value that would bring.
It goes both ways. Maybe you're not an alumni. Ok.
I actually agree with his position. I don't think now at this time in this circumstance was the best.
If he backs it all up with a solid performance to help his self worth equation..great. If not, then he just shot himself and many of us in the foot. If Rutgers loses Friday nobody gonna give a crap what Geo tweeted. Or talk Rutgers for the rest of the tourney.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
You're confusing paying players with getting money for NIL. I do not believe players should have salary. That would result in bidding war and many student athletes would earn less than their scholarship on the free market.

However, NIL is a different issue. Players with marketability should be able to capitalize beyond the university structure.

I repeat players should NOT be paid salary. Players should be able to capitalize on their name image and likeness.
The players NIL is worthless from promotion, marketing stand point.
I agree they should be paid for working camps if they’re not .

Is college basketball better with 1 and dones playing 2 games vs each other and then heading to the NBA? Or is it better if they play 8-12 times between conference play and conference tourney over 4 years? Give me the 4 year blood baths alllllll day.

side note: I go to st peters and fdu games pretty regularly so you picked the wrong guy haha. I dont watch the nba, bores me. I truly enjoy the college game and the grind and passion the kids play with as they all know for the most part theyll never see the nba

Um disagreeing isnt a person attack

Stop being fake news

We don't have to agree with players position on everything

Good lord..oh i get it fall in line and bow down..seen this drill before

If they do not like it then stop playing give the scholarship to someone else or better yet do not sign at all
And let's face it, the vast majority of D1 players are NOT
good enough to play at the next level. A degree from RU IS worth
something on the open market. Yeah, sorry, shut up and
dribble and win one for RU for the 1st time since 1983

Reactions: RU-AGK

Totally disagree lol. First youd never get the top 100 kids to skip every year as theres 60 draft slots in an international game where half the draft is foreign players. Second, even if the top 100 left every year itd still be a heckuva product. Rutgers has i believe only 1 top 100 kids and hes the 8th man in our rotation

Reactions: biazza38 and RU-AGK
what part of 200K plus paid by the school in receiving an education which will go alot further than shooting a ball
Geo makes a good point, a student on a musical scholarship can make and profit off an album. A student with a academic scholarship can get paid to tutor. Only athletes can not profit. Doesn’t seem fair or right to me.

Let me help you out. When he is doing so in a Rutgers Uniform anything he says or does is. If it wasn't. Nobody would be beating their chest when he does something great or gets featured on BTN or ESPN. People are really getting all excited for just Geo Baker? Or our Geo who,plays for Rutgers? The B1G brought in Rutgers because we were so loaded with quality studded athletes our because of the Alumn vase and military value that would bring.
It goes both ways. Maybe you're not an alumni. Ok.
I actually agree with his position. I don't think now at this time in this circumstance was the best.
If he backs it all up with a solid performance to help his self worth equation..great. If not, then he just shot himself and many of us in the foot. If Rutgers loses Friday nobody gonna give a crap what Geo tweeted. Or talk Rutgers for the rest of the tourney.
The stage is big and the message is Amplified. Agreeing with his position is cool. Supporting Geo takes courage because he is speaking his unpopular TRUTH. Friends are few in the time of struggle. Geo is not one to sit quietly on the sideline and do nothing. After all that's in his heart...Geo is a revolutionary. He came to the worst program in the country to start a Basketball Revolution! He did it...Now he is fighting for his Own Rights and he is not supported by his Rutgers Brothers. WHY????

Reactions: BOGDANOVICH
I'm sure it is from sponsors and decreases the risk of exposure. But I'm sure degree and dove really loved the appreciation JB showed there.
One thing they could have done was create a prize room or little store where the players on each floor could have gone in to get their own selections.

But I bet this. If all that stuff was sitting in a room unguarded and free. JB would have helped himself to the mother load.
You're not getting my point. March Madness is a Billion dollar product and over 90% of their revenue. Each game is worth about 300k per game to a conference playing in 1 game, 67 games x 300k each game totals $20M. NCAA can handout $50-100 dollars worth of personal products to over 1000 players, 68 teams, about 15 players each team, $50-100k worth of merch most comped through sponsors, no rules broken. The moment they accept a $50 or $100 gift card to buy their own personal products from the NCAA at March Madness, NCAA breaks their own guidelines and rules, eligibility lost temporarily or permanently. Most players are smart enough to figure this out. Why can other "full ride"' college students from other majors benefit from their major and earn money without losing their full ride college scholarship and eligibility but the moment a d1 athlete accepts a ham sandwich or a lunch suspended. It's quite silly.

Such a slippery slope. Can’t you see Clemson or Bama boosters paying $1000k for autographs of a recruit. Would make it all legal now.
Yes I know dirty money exists, but this would blow it away.
RU athletics would be destroyed.
Destroyed? Cant be worse than all of our self inflected wounds. Plus we got many rich people on this board and they ain’t afraid to tell you

Geo makes a good point, a student on a musical scholarship can make and profit off an album. A student with a academic scholarship can get paid to tutor. Only athletes can not profit. Doesn’t seem fair or right to me.

How about all the perks..the average student doesnt get that

Does the musician get trips and good food and trips to Europe

You're not getting my point. March Madness is a Billion dollar product and over 90% of their revenue. Each game is worth about 300k per game to a conference playing in 1 game, 67 games x 300k each game totals $20M. NCAA can handout $50-100 dollars worth of personal products to over 1000 players, 68 teams, about 15 players each team, $50-100k worth of merch most comped through sponsors, no rules broken. The moment they accept a $50 or $100 gift card to buy their own personal products from the NCAA at March Madness, NCAA breaks their own guidelines and rules, eligibility lost temporarily or permanently. Most players are smart enough to figure this out. Why can other "full ride"' college students from other majors benefit from their major and earn money without losing their full ride college scholarship and eligibility but the moment a d1 athlete accepts a ham sandwich or a lunch suspended. It's quite silly.

Because it has to be that way. The minute an amateur can earn a dime from his playing his sport the box is open and can't be shut. What about all the players that didn't make the NCAA tournament?

Reactions: bac2therac
Geo, RHJ, Myles are speaking up for many athletes that don't have this same platform; or play for a coach or school that tells them not to speak; I am a conservative guy - and not looking for a massive change - but the system is and has been broken; no - not looking for players to be paid - but they need to make changes. Not an expert on the NCAA rule book - but maybe some of you with influence & knowledge can step in and make those suggestions.

That’s Geos point as well. Bizarre to go on a rant but not understand why.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT