RUfanSinceAnderson

All American
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
Typical boxing. A draw.

One judge had 114-114
One judge had 115-113 for GGG
last judge had 118-110 for Canelo

Not a single expert had Canelo winning that many rounds. Teddy atlas calling a fix on ESPN.

I had GGG winning a very boring fight to no fault of his own. Early on Canelo realized that GGG was stronger but slower, so he ran until rounds 10, 11, 12. During the last 3 rounds he tried to trade and outpoint GGG. Yes a close fight but profoundly anticlimactic from what I expected. I tip my hat to GGG for being the aggressor and trying to make a fight of it but it was obvious that he lost some hand speed. Canelo on the other hand showed shades of Mayweather by slipping punches, bobbing in and out avoiding flush shots and frankly running up until the 10th round. I had GGG winning by 2 rounds.

Listen promoters: the reason fights were exciting in the 50's, 60's and 70's is because the purses were split 70% to winner and 30% to the loser. This created an incentive to win. Evenly split purses is like communism where excellence is on par with mediocrity.

Last edited:
I had GGG winning a very boring fight to no fault of his own. Early on Canelo realized that GGG was stronger but slower, so he ran until rounds 10, 11, 12. During the last 3 rounds he tried to trade and outpoint GGG. Yes a close fight but profoundly anticlimactic from what I expected. I tip my hat to GGG for being the aggressor and trying to make a fight of it but it was obvious that he lost some hand speed. Canelo on the other hand showed shades of Mayweather by slipping punches, bobbing in and out avoiding flush shots and frankly running up until the 10th round. I had GGG winning by 2 rounds.

Listen promoters: the reason fights were exciting in the 50's, 60's and 70's is because the purses were split 70% to winner and 30% to the loser. This created an incentive to win. Evenly split purses is like communism where excellence is on par with mediocrity.

Think it is totally unfair to say Canelo ran. He fought almost the entire fight with his back against the ropes with GGG constantly cutting off the ring. He exchanged more with GGG than 99% of Gennady's past opponents. He ate some clean shots and showed his chin. Personally thought it was a terrific fight and can't wait for the rematch.

That judge who had it 118 - 110 for Canelo should be banned for life. Even the draw was a brutal scorecard. I had GGG winning 8 rounds. Maybe 7 as one round couldve been 10 - 10 IMO. GGG took Canelo's best punches and didnt even seem fazed at all, but Canelo showed he had a chin as well.
Teddy Atlas was going nuts after the fight on ESPN, the guy has a passion for boxing so I understand why he was so upset. He truely loves the sport and is seeing it get a worse reputation then it already has because of these crooked judges scorecards. Golden Boy with Oscar Delahoya is the new Don King of boxing. GGG got robbed

I don't think Canelo can beat GGG. 3G is too technical a fighter. Those Russian fighters are no joke, but ad much as I think Canelo can fight, he's way to wild with his punches and not efficient enough.

That judge who had it 118 - 110 for Canelo should be banned for life. Even the draw was a brutal scorecard. I had GGG winning 8 rounds. Maybe 7 as one round couldve been 10 - 10 IMO. GGG took Canelo's best punches and didnt even seem fazed at all, but Canelo showed he had a chin as well.
Teddy Atlas was going nuts after the fight on ESPN, the guy has a passion for boxing so I understand why he was so upset. He truely loves the sport and is seeing it get a worse reputation then it already has because of these crooked judges scorecards. Golden Boy with Oscar Delahoya is the new Don King of boxing. GGG got robbed

You just said that the fight was so close that you could argue GGG won by one round and then in the same breath say he got robbed?!

I understand the Byrd card was off. No doubt about it. But it was a very close fight and the other two judges ringside called it 7-5 and 6-6.

I had GGG winning by two rounds but me watching on TV is very different from scoring a fight standing ringside. I have no problem with the draw personally. Definitely think calls that it was rigged are off base.

Reactions: RU31trap
Boring fight? That's the first time I've heard anyone explain it that way, and I saw it with a bunch of people.

It was a very good fight. GGG won. Clearly. Now, the fight was close enough, and Canelo fought back even when backpedaling. But Canelo could not hurt GGG when he hit him with good shots. GGG is just bigger and has a chin of stone. Canelo has a strong chin too, and he took shots from GGG that put fighters down and out all the time. But those shots clearly had a greater effect on Canelo than Canelo's shots on GGG. Almost the entire fight was GGG stalking Canelo, and there were several times when GGG was beating up Canelo. But Canelo fought back and had more than a few good moments. And he never went down. Which is why it was a good fight.

But I can't imagine anyone watching it and not concluding that GGG won. We had a couple of rooms full of people watching, and all--all--thought GGG won.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT