ADVERTISEMENT

My Take- 2023 Football

yesrutgers01

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2008
So- Far from an expert and wanted to wait a couple of days after our worst game of the season - and going to try to not have it sit in my head as the final look.

Team/Season Expectations- That is easy- surpassed all expectations on a positive side and maybe 2 more wins then expected.

Coach/Coaching - Coming into the season- was not happy with either. Wanted to see an improvement and sense there is a shift forward. That did happen and feel GS secured himself. But...there are still some things I saw(without the final game sitting too heavy but a factor) - that says - no to an extension...yet
Happy with all the other coaches but maybe concerned with KC. but- M Millen said something that made sense and a few troll posters distorted. He said KC told him it is a 3 year process- first year is memorization...ok, forgot the other two, but obviously the natural progression to execution. To the trolls- he did not say GW sucked...but in year 1 phase. And on my other hand- these year long or 3-5 year phases I hear from our coaches is so damn old school. I still am not sold on KC- I do like what every other coach is doing though.

QB- starts and ends with one player. I have been big on giving him the chance. Damn man, you can see a "star" at times. He can make NFL throws, he can bust loose with his legs and he has that "IT" - but game game game- he just has not gotten better. His year from last year is 100 times better but no improvement during the season. I do think supporting cast and coaching does get in the way but at best- it brings him up to average. Where a few weeks ago- I thought he could actually get to the next level. The arm, head and talent is there- what is missing?

RB- we had a strong room here. But, if KM was not 100% or in there- huge drop off. He got his 1000 on his own.

WR - Dremel should b a guy we just appreciate- guy is a baller and went from a walkon and even last year- many saying he was not D1 level. And this year- kid looks like he could get a camp next year. Washington and Strong had moments but no consistency and did not scare anyone. But- without a 1 or 2- the group out performed what could have been expected. They also all just did many things right for the team such as their blocking.

TE- Ummmmmm

OL - The whole was so much better than any individual. Pierce has a shot at the next level as you can't teach size and he has shown that he can get the bend needed. Not sure if we even have any campers on the squad. With that said- these boys played so much ovr their expectations and they got their techniques down. Playing as a group- they did a really good job. Need depth depth deth and maybe a star.

On the DL - Bailey/Lewis just didn't seem to be disrupters this year. Can't put my finger on it. Feel they both played well but never put a stamp on a game. Interior- they are good but the depth finally caught up to us. The coaching- it is strange- seems we would often go man on man with coverage but then, what were the other guys doing as we didn't seem to blitz much either.

LB's - Powell hurt- no way around it. I do think that Jennings got better when Powell was gone.

DB's - We have a talented group. They are also coached the GS way which has gotten so many DB's into the league for us. Melton had a better year than many realize. Longerbeam- hot/cold , Dixon was uper player early and seemed to get tired late. Rodgers had a quite good year, Iggy- damn- when used right, he can change a game.\\

ST's- We were spoiled by Korsack and it seems the B1G always have the best punters in CFB. But he was ok...I still wonder why(both rugby kickers) - never try a run for 1st down- damn man- Rugby players are the toughest duds in sports and I am sure thse guys had to tumble it out with no pads- let them take that open lane when it seems to be there...Coverage was good- KO's- can't have much negative to say.
Returns- I get it- early on- we may have coast us huge in a couple of games. HUGE - but, you cant find a single F-ing player that can do this? WTF?

My overall thoughts- Much better year then I thought we would have. Excited to watch every single game. We played some really really good teams tough.
Last few games after OSU left a sour taste. That was really a pinnacle. It may not have been reflected by score but we played the 1 or 2 best team in CFB to a near draw. Every game after- was just flat as hell. Yes, we don't have the depth- we fought so hard all year, we were tired. But, these last few games were closer to Ash gams then GS 2023 games. I am not sure if we really finished as good as our record.
Just too many questions again next year.

And yet- enjoyed the season more than any since 2014

When HC Babers was hired at Syracuse he said something similar.
It would take about a year and a half before his offense started to really kick in.
Year 3 they scored 40.2ppg (#11 in the country).

My question is though: what is the system OC KC is trying to implement over 3 years? I'm fine with a step back as part of a learning curve. But only if that is a system that could provide sustained success.

I fear the OC KC system would look very similar after 3 years to this past year.

So- Far from an expert and wanted to wait a couple of days after our worst game of the season - and going to try to not have it sit in my head as the final look.

Team/Season Expectations- That is easy- surpassed all expectations on a positive side and maybe 2 more wins then expected.

Coach/Coaching - Coming into the season- was not happy with either. Wanted to see an improvement and sense there is a shift forward. That did happen and feel GS secured himself. But...there are still some things I saw(without the final game sitting too heavy but a factor) - that says - no to an extension...yet
Happy with all the other coaches but maybe concerned with KC. but- M Millen said something that made sense and a few troll posters distorted. He said KC told him it is a 3 year process- first year is memorization...ok, forgot the other two, but obviously the natural progression to execution. To the trolls- he did not say GW sucked...but in year 1 phase. And on my other hand- these year long or 3-5 year phases I hear from our coaches is so damn old school. I still am not sold on KC- I do like what every other coach is doing though.

QB- starts and ends with one player. I have been big on giving him the chance. Damn man, you can see a "star" at times. He can make NFL throws, he can bust loose with his legs and he has that "IT" - but game game game- he just has not gotten better. His year from last year is 100 times better but no improvement during the season. I do think supporting cast and coaching does get in the way but at best- it brings him up to average. Where a few weeks ago- I thought he could actually get to the next level. The arm, head and talent is there- what is missing?

RB- we had a strong room here. But, if KM was not 100% or in there- huge drop off. He got his 1000 on his own.

WR - Dremel should b a guy we just appreciate- guy is a baller and went from a walkon and even last year- many saying he was not D1 level. And this year- kid looks like he could get a camp next year. Washington and Strong had moments but no consistency and did not scare anyone. But- without a 1 or 2- the group out performed what could have been expected. They also all just did many things right for the team such as their blocking.

TE- Ummmmmm

OL - The whole was so much better than any individual. Pierce has a shot at the next level as you can't teach size and he has shown that he can get the bend needed. Not sure if we even have any campers on the squad. With that said- these boys played so much ovr their expectations and they got their techniques down. Playing as a group- they did a really good job. Need depth depth deth and maybe a star.

On the DL - Bailey/Lewis just didn't seem to be disrupters this year. Can't put my finger on it. Feel they both played well but never put a stamp on a game. Interior- they are good but the depth finally caught up to us. The coaching- it is strange- seems we would often go man on man with coverage but then, what were the other guys doing as we didn't seem to blitz much either.

LB's - Powell hurt- no way around it. I do think that Jennings got better when Powell was gone.

DB's - We have a talented group. They are also coached the GS way which has gotten so many DB's into the league for us. Melton had a better year than many realize. Longerbeam- hot/cold , Dixon was uper player early and seemed to get tired late. Rodgers had a quite good year, Iggy- damn- when used right, he can change a game.\\

ST's- We were spoiled by Korsack and it seems the B1G always have the best punters in CFB. But he was ok...I still wonder why(both rugby kickers) - never try a run for 1st down- damn man- Rugby players are the toughest duds in sports and I am sure thse guys had to tumble it out with no pads- let them take that open lane when it seems to be there...Coverage was good- KO's- can't have much negative to say.
Returns- I get it- early on- we may have coast us huge in a couple of games. HUGE - but, you cant find a single F-ing player that can do this? WTF?

My overall thoughts- Much better year then I thought we would have. Excited to watch every single game. We played some really really good teams tough.
Last few games after OSU left a sour taste. That was really a pinnacle. It may not have been reflected by score but we played the 1 or 2 best team in CFB to a near draw. Every game after- was just flat as hell. Yes, we don't have the depth- we fought so hard all year, we were tired. But, these last few games were closer to Ash gams then GS 2023 games. I am not sure if we really finished as good as our record.

Awesome job on this. Very measured, fair and good analysis. Would love @gef21 to add to this or start his own, as I feel like I owe a lot of my football knowledge to reading his posts.

TE- Ummmmmm

Don't you know Dremel is too short and sucks?

Biggest need Depth Depth Depth and it showed late in the season.
Agree with your last sentence.

Fair and balanced.

I struggle to accept a 3 year process with KC's offense. How many opponents had a simpler offense? 1? 2?

At the end of the season, I'm left feeling that all 3 units have been neutered by GS's risk management. I don't see any swagger. It just feels like we try to artificially manufacture positive outcomes for key metrics (TOP, turnovers, not giving up big plays, stopping the run, etc). Good teams do this organically.

KM was a stud this year. Without some portal additions, it's tough to see our offense improving. I guess we will see.

Reactions: Rokodesh

I also think that while so much improved- something is still missing with coaching. Not sure where it is though. We just can't have a HC on year 4 of a 5 year plan who brings in a OC who is in year 1 of a 3 year plan.

Imagine if we didn't have a 2X SB winning OL coach?

Awesome job on this. Very measured, fair and good analysis. Would love @gef21 to add to this or start his own, as I feel like I owe a lot of my football knowledge to reading his posts.
I plan on writing a post soon, but I'm swamped at work. Just took over a varsity spring program at a prep school and I'm about two weeks behind where I want to be.

I plan on writing a post soon, but I'm swamped at work. Just took over a varsity spring program at a prep school and I'm about two weeks behind where I want to be.
And one thing for sure- you will have much more actual detail then I do as I just went based on my gut and opinion.
I no longer break down every offensive play we snap each season- but when I did that back with my son as he was playing- I learned more in 5 years then I did in my entire life. Same with interacting with players and coaches at all levels.
In the last 10 years- jus went back to being a fan. :)

Yours will be much more detailed and looking forward to it!

that is a shitty thing to say about DREMEL who basically overachieved and has performed well despite the lack of a good QB. You probably are under 21

that is a shitty thing to say about DREMEL who basically overachieved and has performed well despite the lack of a good QB. You probably are under 21

I am 100% sure it was sarcasm...

inside joke

Apparently recognizing sarcasm is not your strong suit.

and your trolling comments on my posts are odd.
Why do I think I missed something???

Reactions: mdk01

TE- Ummmmmm

This is a great reflection on the season. Leaves room for hope for next year…but some concern with the crash and burn after a great Ohio game.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
This is a great reflection on the season. Leaves room for hope for next year…but some concern with the crash and burn after a great Ohio game.
I tried to mix in my eternal optimism with some patience and then my knowledge of football, players, coaches and come up with a balanced view without just saying someone sucks or that someone is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Thank you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT