ADVERTISEMENT

Good Bo Boroski Article

"The NCAA keeps detailed stats on its officials' whistle blowing accuracy and Boroski almost always landed at the top for correct calls and appropriate no calls, which put him in elite league and tournament positions."

Do they make this public or the process for doing this?
I'm mystified by how college referees make decisions and how they're evaluated/directed/held accountable.
It does not seem to be public information.

It seems like a total disaster and I say this not as a fan who thinks Rutgers gets screwed but when I watch a game like Nebraska vs Minnesota where they let major, consequential contact go and then call moving screens with little contact after a handoff, I'm left guessing why that's such a point of emphasis.

Especially interesting to me—RU boy rooted in small-town Indiana lo, these 40+ years. Sounds like Boroski got his start in the small-college league that included the school where I taught, Taylor University (the “Silent Night” School; also the league where Steve Alford started his coaching career and where his younger son presently coaches). Also, J.D. Collins, identified in the article as (just retired) NCAA National coordinator of men’s b-ball officiating, a ref at 2 Final Fours, lives in my town.

"The NCAA keeps detailed stats on its officials' whistle blowing accuracy and Boroski almost always landed at the top for correct calls and appropriate no calls, which put him in elite league and tournament positions."

Do they make this public or the process for doing this?
I'm mystified by how college referees make decisions and how they're evaluated/directed/held accountable.
It does not seem to be public information.

It seems like a total disaster and I say this not as a fan who thinks Rutgers gets screwed but when I watch a game like Nebraska vs Minnesota where they let major, consequential contact go and then call moving screens with little contact after a handoff, I'm left guessing why that's such a point of emphasis.
None of that is public...the only way you can really tell about the NCAA's officiating evaluations is to look at who is moving on in the tourney. They start with a larger pool of guys in the first round that have made the initial cut, and then it gets more and more selective as the tourney goes along. The 9 guys working the Final Four and Title Game are the 9 that they feel are the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT