ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue continues to get the calls.

RedTeam1994

All Conference
Jan 15, 2021
forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere but I didnt see it:

Smith from Purdue first shuffled his feet THEN stopped on the OOB line.

correction: he shuffled his feet TWICE. he shuffled when he first caught the ball and then a more obvious shuffle. plain as day.

but refs bail him out with phantom foul call on Wisconsin...

Reactions: tm_nj
forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere but I didnt see it:

Smith from Purdue first shuffled his feet THEN stopped on the OOB line.

correction: he shuffled his feet TWICE. he shuffled when he first caught the ball and then a more obvious shuffle. plain as day.

but refs bail him out with phantom foul call on Wisconsin...

Looks to me like the contact from Hepburn caused him to move his left foot and step out of bounds. I don’t see that as a “phantom” call at all. He doesn’t go knee to knee with him and the pivot foot might not move.

And here is the direct link…

Reactions: cm_13 and Unionst
Yeah, that looks to me like Hepburn got into Smith enough to draw the whistle. Guys generally don't just take four steps on an inbounds catch like that without contact.

As long as Edey plays for Purdue they will get the favorable calls from the referees.On just about every possession he is fouled because of his height.At the same time refs rarely call fouls on him for elbowing defenders for position around the basket.

Looks to me like the contact from Hepburn caused him to move his left foot and step out of bounds. I don’t see that as a “phantom” call at all. He doesn’t go knee to knee with him and the pivot foot might not move.

And here is the direct link…

If there is contact (MAYBE a little push with the knee…MAYBE)… it was after the FIRST walk right when he landed (where they was zero contact).

Watch it again. He landed and slid both of his feet …. THEN the “contact” …and another more obvious shuffle

If there is contact (MAYBE a little push with the knee…MAYBE)… it was after the FIRST walk right when he landed (where they was zero contact).

Watch it again. He landed and slid both of his feet …. THEN the “contact” …and another shuffle
If that’s a walk when he caught the ball, then we’d have 50 travel calls/game. I see that as landing and establishing his left as his pivot foot…and then Hepburn gives him a knee to the knee/thigh area to knock him off of it.

I’d say the ref made a good call here…and it’s clearly not an egregious error that would demonstrate Purdue “getting calls”.

If that’s a walk when he caught the ball, then we’d have 50 travel calls/game. I see that as landing and establishing his left as his pivot foot…and then Hepburn gives him a knee to the knee/thigh area to knock him off of it.

I’d say the ref made a good call here…and it’s clearly not an egregious error that would demonstrate Purdue “getting calls”.

If they called a foul every time there was that little amount of contact every player would foul out of every game.

The argument can easily go the other way

There was VERY LITTLE contact - if at all. Players are contacting each more than that on every single play.

Was there contact ….maybe

Did the ref bail out the Purdue player who was off balance walked twice and stepped out of bounds…. Yup

Reactions: LETSGORU91
If they called a foul every time there was that little amount of contact every player would foul out of every game.

The argument can easily go the other way

There was VERY LITTLE contact - if at all. Players are contacting each more than that on every single play.

Was there contact ….maybe

Did the ref bail out the Purdue player who was off balance walked twice and stepped out of bounds…. Yup
Look at Hepburn’s left knee. He goes through the Purdue player to make contact and knock him off balance. That’s a foul.

Look at Hepburn’s left knee. He goes through the Purdue player to make contact and knock him off balance. That’s a foul.

You mean the video that needs to be played in slow-mo to see the arguable contact? Maybe there’s contact? Even in slow-mo it’s not obvious.

If you were to replay every possession in slow-mo in any game you’d see sooooo much more contact on every single play. Every player would foul out of every game if refs called that little amount of contact.

Purdue player got bailed out. It happens

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT