ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Goodale on Glasgow status

Let's hope he gets everything in order especially now with the online classes there is no excuse. I want to see him compete at 100% and at his ideal weight.

Reactions: elvis7
Hate to say it, but at this point I think the psychological damage done his true freshman year is too much for him to come back from. He got pounded that freshman year and him lagging in his school work just shows the commitment isn't there any longer. Looks like the kid has burned out and I was a huge Glasgow fan from the start.

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but at this point I think the psychological damage done his true freshman year is too much for him to come back from. He got pounded that freshman year and him lagging in his school work just shows the commitment isn't there any longer. Looks like the kid has burned out and I was a huge Glasgow fan from the start. What a shame.

I don't necessarily disagree but the school work was always a problem, even through high school, wasn't it? In college, not only does the wrestling get harder...

I don't necessarily disagree but the school work was always a problem, even through high school, wasn't it? In college, not only does the wrestling get harder...
He qualified straight out of high school. He went to St. Benedict's prep because of the injury and they didn't want to start his NCAA clock knowing he needed at least a full year of recovery before he could even get on the mat again.

I don’t think it’s fair to question his psyching until we actually see him on a mat.

Reactions: Leonard23
I don’t think it’s fair to question his psyching until we actually see him on a mat.
Fair enough. But we waited all year last year on the open circuit for him to wrestle, he wrestled in one tournament and pulled out early. Every other tournament we heard he was supposed to go to he didn't weigh in.

Fair enough. But we waited all year last year on the open circuit for him to wrestle, he wrestled in one tournament and pulled out early. Every other tournament we heard he was supposed to go to he didn't weigh in.
Pretty sure he tweaked his knee in his last match but I could be misremembering.

Unfortunately tend to agree with sentiment here. Tremendous talent who seems to lack the discipline in the classroom and seems to have lost some fire. I hope he proves us all wrong bc he has the talent to be very good if not great but not sure we will ever get to see it.

Reactions: koleszar
I sttted my feeling based on his lack of interest in becoming a student first. If you can’t accept that challenge then all of the wrestling talent does not matter. I have always enjoyed spending time with Stephan after practice as he is gracious and engaging with an old bull like me, there is no RU wrestling fan rooting for this young man than me to make it. Please son prove me wrong!

I sttted my feeling based on his lack of interest in becoming a student first. If you can’t accept that challenge then all of the wrestling talent does not matter. I have always enjoyed spending time with Stephan after practice as he is gracious and engaging with an old bull like me, there is no RU wrestling fan rooting for this young man than me to make it. Please son prove me wrong!

Unfortunately going to college is not for everyone.No matter what he ends up doing I certainly pray he learns from his mistakes. All part of life lessons the hard way. He can surely impart some of his knowledge to others on doing things the right way with no shortcuts. I tend to agree he is finished at Rutgers. I truly believed in his talent level translating into college at the highest level. It just did not work out for Glasgow right from the start with one issue after the other.

We can only hope for the best for him. At this point I see him moving on.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Unfortunately going to college is not for everyone.No matter what he ends up doing I certainly pray he learns from his mistakes. All part of life lessons the hard way. He can surely impart some of his knowledge to others on doing things the right way with no shortcuts. I tend to agree he is finished at Rutgers. I truly believed in his talent level translating into college at the highest level. It just did not work out for Glasgow right from the start with one issue after the other.

We can only hope for the best for him. At this point I see him moving on.

I will stick with the half glass full approach here. Many people thought he was done at this very same time last year. Thought he would be gone. Quit. Transferred. Guess what? He stuck around for another year, without wrestling much at all. I'm rooting for him. I hope he straightens everything out and we see him on the mat very soon...with a block R singlet.

I will stick with the half glass full approach here. Many people thought he was done at this very same time last year. Thought he would be gone. Quit. Transferred. Guess what? He stuck around for another year, without wrestling much at all. I'm rooting for him. I hope he straightens everything out and we see him on the mat very soon...with a block R singlet.

It would be a nice story if all ends well. He was certainly one of my favorite high school wrestlers.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Cut this kid loose already! He obviously doesn't give a sh!t about this program ( by his constant academic issues,and defeated look on the wrestling mat),and if I was the coach,I would take that personally.

More of anything does he care about what he is doing to "himself and his family". I am sure they are quite disappointed in his actions. I can definitely see how his actions have adversely affected everyone involved.

I said it last year ..more then once ..he won’t wrestle here again ...using injuries as an excuse all the time has run it’s course ..he is not injured ...

Cut this kid loose already! He obviously doesn't give a sh!t about this program ( by his constant academic issues,and defeated look on the wrestling mat),and if I was the coach,I would take that personally.

Rutgers academic standards are pretty high. Just because a kid isn’t doing well academically doesn’t mean he doesn’t care. He comes from a town that is below average compared to the rest of the state in education. There’s a lot of things beyond his control.

Whether the kid dresses for a match again or not, sticking it out for 4-5 years would say a lot about his character and could even be a spring board for the rest of his life.

Some of you guys are just brutal with your criticism of this kid. Maybe the schoolwork is a lot tougher for him than his friend Mekkhi. Maybe he's trying real hard to keep his grades up and wrestle D1, but it's just a struggle. Geezus......think a little more before you post.

He’s got too much talent to cut loose it makes sense to wait it out see if he can get back to being the beast he was in hs. Supposedly his father works for Rutgers so he doesn’t count against scholly.

Rutgers academic standards are pretty high. Just because a kid isn’t doing well academically doesn’t mean he doesn’t care. He comes from a town that is below average compared to the rest of the state in education. There’s a lot of things beyond his control.

Whether the kid dresses for a match again or not, sticking it out for 4-5 years would say a lot about his character and could even be a spring board for the rest of his life.
You raise valid points, but he has to do more than stick it out, he has to care.

Some of you guys are just brutal with your criticism of this kid. Maybe the schoolwork is a lot tougher for him than his friend Mekkhi. Maybe he's trying real hard to keep his grades up and wrestle D1, but it's just a struggle. Geezus......think a little more before you post.
It’s not that it’s critical of him but using grades or injuries as a crutch is getting tiring ..he was on team last year ..other then an early suspension for team conduct he had every opportunity to wrestle ..he did not and who knows why ..open tournaments were available .. He skipped them even after registering for some of them ..when MVB was struggling in the 157 spot early on it was there to take ...he didn’t even try and according to many of you his perfect weight to wrestle was 157 ...all the excuses made during his 165 tenure coulda been answered at 157 but they weren’t .. thankfully MVB turned it completely around and was awesome at the Big 10 to secure a National spot ...157 is now securely his to lose assuming he doesn’t go down ...ya gotta wanna wrestle or put in the work to make it happen and so far in two years I haven’t seen it ...

You raise valid points, but he has to do more than stick it out, he has to care.
How would you, I, or anyone else here truly know what he cares or doesn’t care about? He’s out in California wrestling with a teammate during a pandemic. I have no reason to believe he doesn’t care.

I also don’t know where this idea that he’s milking an injury is coming from. He’s been injury prone since high school, had a significant injury as a freshman and Goodale recently admitted that they likely rushed him back too quickly.

Reactions: Leonard23
I said it last year ..more then once ..he won’t wrestle here again ...using injuries as an excuse all the time has run it’s course ..he is not injured ...
I can't believe I'm saying this,but you are 100% right.Also,for those that say he is having a tough time with Rutgers academic,then maybe he should transfer out.This this constant "dangling the carrot" with his status ..is he wrestling,isn't he wrestling.While he seems like a nice kid,he is clearly done with wrestling.The look of defeat on his face said it all.Also,it's a waste for the program to invest in a kid who doesn't take his academics seriously!

I hear both sides. If he is not on a scholly, maybe he can be a manager If not an actual wrestler. I was going to state that he can help others in his weight, but if he is not putting forth his best he is not helping his teammates. Hopefully he can get his academics in order as that should be the priority.

I can’t believe how quickly some are willing to just discard the kid. Wonder why this conversation doesn’t happen this extent with other kids that may not have met expectations as quickly as hoped. Oh wait

How would you, I, or anyone else here truly know what he cares or doesn’t care about? He’s out in California wrestling with a teammate during a pandemic. I have no reason to believe he doesn’t care.

I also don’t know where this idea that he’s milking an injury is coming from. He’s been injury prone since high school, had a significant injury as a freshman and Goodale recently admitted that they likely rushed him back too quickly.

Watch last weeks podcast. The question was asked about Glasgow's status. Coach G specifically said that Glasgow's health was fine to wrestle last year, but Academic issues held him back. Coach Goodale also said that he hoped Glasgow was listening to the podcast out in California as the ball is in his court. I'm guessing that means to get good grades in the summer online courses he was taking.

Seems odd to me he's in California anyway w Aguilar, when he could be home concentrating on his online classes. But who knows, maybe Aguilar is his tutor, lol.

Last edited:
I can’t believe how quickly some are willing to just discard the kid. Wonder why this conversation doesn’t happen this extent with other kids that may not have met expectations as quickly as hoped. Oh wait
That’s been bothering me as well. I have no problem criticizing student-athletes and holding them to reasonably high standards, especially when it comes to effort. But this has been overboard.

One of the last Open tournaments last year he was signed up for, and then didn't show up, that doesn't show me a high level of commitment. I'm rooting for him, but if some of your best talents don't fully engage, what does that do to the rest of the room. I watched about 3 or 4 Friday practices last year, I watched Stephan with awe as he did one-armed cartwheels down the mat to warm up, I watched in awe how he moved on the mat during drills. I sat there and thought how this kid wasn't a multi time AA, but he's not. I hope your view is right.IMO

Watch last weeks podcast. The question was asked about Glasgow's status. Coach G specifically said that Glasgow's health was fine to wrestle last year, but Academic issues held him back. Coach Goodale also said that he hoped Glasgow was listening to the podcast out in California as the ball is in his court. I'm guessing that means to get good grades in the summer online courses he was taking.

Seems odd to me he's in California anyway w Aguilar, when he could be home concentrating on his online classes. But who knows, maybe Aguilar is his tutor, lol.

I watched the podcast Friday, that’s kind of what sparked this recent Glasgow discussion here. Goodale doesn’t question whether or not he wants to be apart of the team, he just questions if he can get his academics in order. The two aren’t necessarily linked.

One of the last Open tournaments last year he was signed up for, and then didn't show up, that doesn't show me a high level of commitment. I'm rooting for him, but if some of your best talents don't fully engage, what does that do to the rest of the room. I watched about 3 or 4 Friday practices last year, I watched Stephan with awe as he did one-armed cartwheels down the mat to warm up, I watched in awe how he moved on the mat during drills. I sat there and thought how this kid wasn't a multi time AA, but he's not. I hope your view is right.IMO
That happened with several kids in several opens last year where they registered and didn’t attend. There could be a number of explanations. I’m pretty sure there was one open we had like 8 kids registered and 2 showed up. I don’t remember specifics but vaguely remember that happening. Don’t know why Glasgow gets singled out for that.

That happened with several kids in several opens last year where they registered and didn’t attend. There could be a number of explanations. I’m pretty sure there was one open we had like 8 kids registered and 2 showed up. I don’t remember specifics but vaguely remember that happening. Don’t know why Glasgow gets singled out for that.
Fair point, but with the most talent comes the most scrutiny. Sometimes it's just frustrating to watch extreme talent go unused, whether athletically or academically. Like I said before, I hope I'm wrong.

To me, it’s a good sign Glasgow is out in Cali training with Aguilar. Aguilar had a good season last year so hopefully that rubs off on him.

Traveling that far with a teammate, that far, shows he’s still committed to the sport. So hopefully he gets his grades together and everything will b all good

To me, it’s a good sign Glasgow is out in Cali training with Aguilar. Aguilar had a good season last year so hopefully that rubs off on him.

Traveling that far with a teammate, that far, shows he’s still committed to the sport. So hopefully he gets his grades together and everything will b all good

I don't understand your thinking at all. Alvarez and Janzer also had good seasons, Glasgow would have more guys to work with in NJ plus be closer to those at RU that could help him with his online courses and other academic requirements. To me traveling that far makes it easier for him to be away the watchful eyes of the RU staff and stray from what he should be doing.

Last edited:
He wrestled the entire year in one tournament, I believe a total of two matches before pulling out early do to either injury(coach said he was healthy last year?) or something else. Everyone else wrestling the open circuit wrestled way more than two matches the entire year.

I don't understand your thinking at all. Alvarez and Janzer also had good seasons, Glasgow would have more guys to work with in NJ plus be closer to those at RU that could help him with his online courses and other academic requirements. To me traveling that far makes it easier for him to be away the watchful eyes of the RU staff and stray from what he should be doing.
Maybe he needed to get away from something toxic in his life distracting him from wrestling. None of us know, but a change of environment doesn’t have to be a bad thing.

California is not a bad place to spend. As summer. Good for him. I just hope he does his on line classes, Hope Aguilar keeps him straight

Reactions: TRU2RU

He's not getting "singled out for that". He is the topic of this discussion and that was but one of the factors that caused concern. Glasgow was a very good high school wrestler and I have been hopeful that he would have a good college career. I'm still hopeful and I don't agree with cutting him loose unless he continues to fail to meet either academic requirements or competitiveness. I hope to see him challenge MVB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT