ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Grading the Rutgers Basketball Gameday Experience as a fan

This is kind of an apples and oranges comparison. Basketball was never a big pre-game/tailgating scene. Most regulars make plans to eat somewhere before or after. Now more than ever, the game is the thing. I don't need a winter village with cocoa and crappy Mariah Carey holiday music. Our sole purpose is to be there, be loud and make other teams miserable! 😄

My knock on concessions is that, while there is variety of selection, you have to go to different sides of the arena to get different things. For example, only one concession area has fountain drinks, and not all concession areas have cold subs. Depending on what you want, it forces you to walk around the concourse through crowds, rather than just going to the nearest concession stand. That creates more foot traffic, which requires you to spend more time on the concourse, and makes lines for some concession areas longer than others.

For parking, they did allow us to exit the game through the APC to the deck this last game! Much easier getting back to the car without having to walk all the way around to the other side. The woman at the door said " we'll see how long this lasts", making it seem like fan behavior would dictate whether they continue to open that corridor.

I personally don't need anything pregame for basketball. I usually get to my seat around 5-10 minutes before tip, and don't really have time to spend pregaming for most games. The player introductions are done well, though.

Reactions: ruhoops21
You're seeing more and more people tailgating for games, especially the big ones

Walking in, I now see people outside their cars, some with chairs and coolers, partaking in the festivities

As someone who loves tailgating, it's a great sight to see

You're seeing more and more people tailgating for games, especially the big ones

Walking in, I now see people outside their cars, some with chairs and coolers, partaking in the festivities

Agree. There are definitely more people doing it and you will continue to see it grow if we keep things rolling.

Good summary on the apparel. Try having an Addidas outlet right by you and the grand total of 4 items, yes that's 4 men's and women's items combined to pick from. Addidas is horrible in getting Rutgers products out there for sale.

Reactions: RUDiddy777

Is the guy here with TV setup in his trunk, playing fortnite and smoking weed?

Is the guy here with TV setup in his trunk, playing fortnite and smoking weed?
I haven’t seen that and surprisingly, have not smelled it in the air very much while walking in after legalization. Gummies maybe?

good assessment.

some adjustments IMHO:

Bathrooms: I dont know how they dont get anything other than an F

Concessions: while the choices are decent (including beer), the fact that there is no place to eat or drink (other than at your seat) is a HUGE NEGATIVE imho. this reduces it to a C for me. the other game I got a sub and didnt want to bother bringing all the way to my seat so I looked for somewhere to eat it. It handnt occurred to me sooner - theres nothing. I found a little corner at the end of the ticket area to plop my sandwhich down. kinda ridiculous.

my opinion on this whole renovaton thing (and I know the fans have been saying this ad nauseum).... FIRST thing.... FIX WHAT IS BROKEN:

- more bathrooms

- bigger concourse

- a real store with lots of RU gear (this is missing opportunity to make some $$$). I have never purchased any merch at the RAC. Its too small. I am not going to wait on line just to look at the stuff. but put me in a store with lots of selection and I am walking around browsing....yeah I would probably have spent hundreds over the years. and have that store open after a big win!!!!! = $$$$$. Come on RU, get smart.

- places for people to stop and have a beer/ chat/ eat food. ledges/ tons of standing tables. obviously this would happen in a much MUCH BIGGER concourse and/or separate area

- has anyone mentioned a restaurant/ bar that would open early (and maybe even stay open post game). I have to assume that things like a bar/ restaurant and store make money for arenas (the longer people are there the more likely they are to spend $$$$)? right now there is no incentive for people to get there early at all (we get there as close to tip-off as possible) but if they had a restaurant with good beer and decent bar food I could absolutely see people saying "hey lets get to the RAC 2 hours before the game and get some beers and wings at 'Sir Henry's'. "

and I love the idea of having students in the first few rows (even though our seats are the 3rd row up LOL)..... give those seats to the students!!!!! make the RAC even more scary for the opposition. I am ALL FOR THAT!!! I mean maybe the first row or two on the non-bench side for the real high rollers. but other than that...students yelling!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Puppy
- a real store with lots of RU gear (this is missing opportunity to make some $$$). I have never purchased any merch at the RAC. Its too small. I am not going to wait on line just to look at the stuff. but put me in a store with lots of selection and I am walking around browsing....yeah I would probably have spent hundreds over the years. and have that store open after a big win!!!!! = $$$$$. Come on RU, get smart.
YES X 1000 - a real Rutgers store to actually walk in at the arena!!!! Big money maker right there no doubt. I can't tell you how much of a turn-off it is to see that closet they are selling merch out of right now - it is small and off-putting. Having all the players jerseys right there in a walk in store - YES PLEASE!!! I have never bought anything out of the literal hole in the wall with merch in the RAC, but agree if there was a store they would be getting money from me hand over fist.

YES X 1000 - a real Rutgers store to actually walk in at the arena!!!! Big money maker right there no doubt. I can't tell you how much of a turn-off it is to see that closet they are selling merch out of right now - it is small and off-putting. Having all the players jerseys right there in a walk in store - YES PLEASE!!! I have never bought anything out of the literal hole in the wall with merch in the RAC, but agree if there was a store they would be getting money from me hand over fist.

Agreed. This is a huge miss. They could put a pop-up outside of one of the exits like football has on the concourse at SHI.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT