ADVERTISEMENT

Great Environment

Two things. First, it was a pleasant surprise as the team rocked the rac, the people in charge let the band, the cheerleaders, the students and the crowd create the atmosphere. There seemed, at least to me, to be less forced atmosphere, if that makes sense. Second, the area where the office's are, many many years ago, late 80'2 early 90's were used during halftime for, I think, boosters or Court Club. I remember seeing the crowd through the windows and wondering how one got to go up there. I got the chance a few times. If would be the perfect location for the hospitality, pre and half time on game days.

I came to the board to ask about the environment last night. It looked like the Harper to Mathis alley-oop really set the place off. Glad to hear many thought it was an excellent vibe in the RAC.

The RAC so badly needs many updates. The main entrance and corridor areas on each side need major face lifts.

I've also heard the same regarding the offices potentially being used for premium hospitality (heard that a long time ago so not sure if its still part of the plans). I've been part of a few of the pregame ones in the back corner and its so amatuer hour back there that its embarrassing. You're trying to entertain high net worth donors essentially under the bleachers with really poorly catered food.
The RAC is fine. Who caresssss what it looks like when u walk in? The recruits sure dont. Recruits and plays will be spending most of their time in a new state of the art facility. What the RAC’s purpose is, is yo be raucous and it is absolute fine how it is now, acoustics AMAZING

Who the F was it that let out a yell before both of Doorson’s foul shots in the second half?

Did anyone else hear that SOB?
Probably a fake ohio state fan from NJ. This couple sitting next to me was soooo annoying but looked like they had money. So finally I said, “you guys didnt go to ohio state did you?” And they jumped in defense “weve been big fans forever”. I said I thought so because you look smarter than the typical idiot who goes to ohio state”. They didnt love that one as they followed it up with their daughter was a grad haha

There were a couple Ohio State clowns in 212/213 doing this before a few of the free throws.

This is actually more distracting when the building is dead silent than a bunch of people making noise at once.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Maryland And Ohio State turnouts the past 2 games. I thought their fans would make more of a showing, especially Maryland.
Agreed. Its worse when one person yells then the whole arena loud. Ive always wanted to organize the fans to emphatically all yell at once when the player goes to shoot the free throw rather than just yelling seconds prior

Who the F was it that let out a yell before both of Doorson’s foul shots in the second half?

Did anyone else hear that SOB?
There’s always one clown among the opposing fans that will do this at just about every home game at the RAC. Been going on for years. I think the players are oblivious to it.

Two things. First, it was a pleasant surprise as the team rocked the rac, the people in charge let the band, the cheerleaders, the students and the crowd create the atmosphere. There seemed, at least to me, to be less forced atmosphere, if that makes sense. Second, the area where the office's are, many many years ago, late 80'2 early 90's were used during halftime for, I think, boosters or Court Club. I remember seeing the crowd through the windows and wondering how one got to go up there. I got the chance a few times. If would be the perfect location for the hospitality, pre and half time on game days.

good point, because there were less students, they didnt play as much crappy EDM to get the crowd going. I know the old folk in 100s get crap but they led the emotion in the place, not the students, not the music piped in.

For those tasked with monitoring this Board for Athletics, please take note of the bolded above and share this information with your superiors.

Last edited:
The RAC is fine. Who caresssss what it looks like when u walk in? The recruits sure dont. Recruits and plays will be spending most of their time in a new state of the art facility. What the RAC’s purpose is, is yo be raucous and it is absolute fine how it is now, acoustics AMAZING

The impression of a game day facility matters for both fans , students and recruits. It’s not a predominant thing or super high priority but it should be up there as something to address.

Cosmetic enhancements do nothing to change the type of environment we have at the RAC. You keep the intimate feel but we can do better than the HS level hallways and concessions.

The impression of a game day facility matters for both fans , students and recruits. It’s not a predominant thing or super high priority but it should be up there as something to address.

Cosmetic enhancements do nothing to change the type of environment we have at the RAC. You keep the intimate feel but we can do better than the HS level hallways and concessions.
Disagree.

Until the results on the hardwood are more consistent in our favor we need to do/address the little things as much as possible until it’s all about the W. It also tells us, the fans an alums that Rutgers is listening....

Better lighting outside, cleaner inside and out plus the paint job we’re always talking about can’t hurt.

When a win becomes winning and then WINNING we can talk about moving walls.

Last edited:
Disagree.

Until the results on the hardwood are more consistent in our favor we need to do/address the little things as much as possible until it’s all about the W. It also tells us the fans an alums that Rutgers is listening....

Better lighting outside, cleaner inside and out plus the paint job we’re always talking about can’t hurt.

When a win becomes winning and then WINNING we can talk about moving walls.

Yep. Agree. We’re saying same thing.

Probably a fake ohio state fan from NJ. This couple sitting next to me was soooo annoying but looked like they had money. So finally I said, “you guys didnt go to ohio state did you?” And they jumped in defense “weve been big fans forever”. I said I thought so because you look smarter than the typical idiot who goes to ohio state”. They didnt love that one as they followed it up with their daughter was a grad haha

Is it too early to nominate a post of the year?

Priceless!

I came to the board to ask about the environment last night. It looked like the Harper to Mathis alley-oop really set the place off. Glad to hear many thought it was an excellent vibe in the RAC.

The RAC so badly needs many updates. The main entrance and corridor areas on each side need major face lifts.

I've also heard the same regarding the offices potentially being used for premium hospitality (heard that a long time ago so not sure if its still part of the plans). I've been part of a few of the pregame ones in the back corner and its so amatuer hour back there that its embarrassing. You're trying to entertain high net worth donors essentially under the bleachers with really poorly catered food.
I agree that the environment back in the hospitality area is somewhat embarrassing but I disagree with you about the food. It's actually quite good but the setting makes it easy to say that it's no good.

good point, because there were less students, they didnt play as much crappy EDM to get the crowd going. I know the old folk in 100s get crap but they led the emotion in the place, not the students, not the music piped in.

If this is true, I am surprised I didn’t see it mentioned by you after the MD game before this post, BAC.

I know this is an issue you have been harping on the last couple of years, and I agree with you.

I watched the MD game on TV, and noticed the band and lots of RU chants in the 2nd half vs the techno crap.
When they pipe that music in, it prevents an RU chant (and pep band) which is our staple cheer.

Guys in charge - please allow more of what we had in the MD game! i.e., a real COLLEGE atmosphere!!

That would be a much better place to have the pre-, post, and half time events that are hosted in the back corner, for sure!

Over 40 years have passed since the RAC opened(my sophomore year). There are still only 1 men's and 1 women's bathrooms on each side in the front of the building. You would have thought since many events have been held in the back corner for hospitality, that they would have built at least ONE NEW bathroom!!

Best of Luck,
Groz

Over 40 years have passed since the RAC opened(my sophomore year). There are still only 1 men's and 1 women's bathrooms on each side in the front of the building. You would have thought since many events have been held in the back corner for hospitality, that they would have built at least ONE NEW bathroom!!

Best of Luck,
Groz

That might be the most embarrassing part of the RAC

If this is true, I am surprised I didn’t see it mentioned by you after the MD game before this post, BAC.

I know this is an issue you have been harping on the last couple of years, and I agree with you.

I watched the MD game on TV, and noticed the band and lots of RU chants in the 2nd half vs the techno crap.
When they pipe that music in, it prevents an RU chant (and pep band) which is our staple cheer.

Guys in charge - please allow more of what we had in the MD game! i.e., a real COLLEGE atmosphere!!

That "R" "U" chant was great. Although I wondered for a while why they were chanting "You" "Are".

Have any of you been to Cameron Indoor? That place needs a face lift... but no one cares because it’s tradition and the atmosphere is nuts. Unless it’s for safety, keep the RAC the way it is.

When you're not winning, it's a dump. When you're winning, it's a quaint, historic college venue.

For most of my years as an ACC fan, Cameron Indoor Stadium was ridiculed as a high school gym with a funny name, with LOL emphasis on the ceiling-mounted baskets. But once they went full blue-blood under Krzyzewski it became a shrine of what college basketball should be. (Just for the record, I always liked it).

Reactions: RutgersNation15
I love a coach who understands how important his least contributing players are to the success of the team...Pike gets that and the guys at the end of the bench appreciate the hell out of it
No coach ever knows for sure just who and when a player will need to step up and do something.
Most players who are either walk ons or such know that they are not starting players. But, fate is a funny thing and you just never know. Treating them like lepers does little for anyone involved. Those of us who played organized sports know what it feels like to be that person or remember teammates who were. They do as much as anyone else and deserve the respect that your starters get, maybe more.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Gold chain and diamond grillz or top hat and moncle?

That "R" "U" chant was great. Although I wondered for a while why they were chanting "You" "Are".

The chant has inadvertently sped up in recent years to where it can be easily confused in reverse order (and also open to being mocked). Supposed to be a longer lag between the end of U and the start of the next R, not to mention a short pause between an R and the subsequent U. Acoustically, it can be pulled off better in the football stadium versus the hoops arena due to distance/spacing but even there it has become much less than what it was in the past.

No coach ever knows for sure just who and when a player will need to step up and do something.
Most players who are either walk ons or such know that they are not starting players. But, fate is a funny thing and you just never know. Treating them like lepers does little for anyone involved. Those of us who played organized sports know what it feels like to be that person or remember teammates who were. They do as much as anyone else and deserve the respect that your starters get, maybe more.
We and every coach knows it in theory, but game day can be a different animal.

I was impressed how Pike went out of his way during the course of play... engaging them to count down the shot clock and call out the defenses

Last edited:
yes--the office space upstairs was used years ago for alumni--stacks and some food--by the way a week or so ago I received a request to fill out a survey and there were questions about the overall experience--was this survey already discussed?

images

Cool drawing... but why does it have so many empty seats?

Find a way to hang a new roof with external supports... remove pillars.. do wrap-around seating.

Last edited:
yes--the office space upstairs was used years ago for alumni--stacks and some food--by the way a week or so ago I received a request to fill out a survey and there were questions about the overall experience--was this survey already discussed?

I also got took this survey...concessions were where I put my negativity

although I do like that if you want til the end they start handing out free pretzels...oops I shouldnt have said that

It makes me happy that the RAC got 71 comments.

Building and fans getting some respect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT