ADVERTISEMENT

Griffiths

Well it was close to 100% of fans thinking Gavin was awesome when he committed so if fans wanted to be right, Gavin being good helps

His performance is a huge talking point bc he was the highest rated recruit we have ever had in the Rivals era. He was known as possibility the best shooter in the nation heading to a team that struggles to shoot

Of course he's going to be talked about. Of course everything is going to be dissected. This is big boy big time bball. Get ready for there to be even more dissecting next season with Ace and Dylan. The bigger the expectations the bigger the microscope. That's just life

His defense was terribleee to start the season. There's no debate there. He's gotten much much better recently. That's awesome. His shooting numbers are obviously extremely disappointing. Ask Gavin and I'm sure he will tell you the same

How many fans here think Gavin won't be good or is a complete bust? Maybe a few. Most posters seem to acknowledge Gavin is struggling while still seeing the potential he has to be a good player in the future and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's a sensible take
Plenty of guys who go on to have GREAT collegiate, even professional careers, struggle as True Frosh in hoops. We had one as recently as RHJ. I think some here are just losing their shit because GG was highly ranked. Well, "highly ranked" doesn't always mean he's going to excel as a frosh. I'll say it again: give him a high-end offensive minded assistant coach, this off-season, and watch out!

Plenty of guys who go on to have GREAT collegiate, even professional careers, struggle as True Frosh in hoops. We had one as recently as RHJ. I think some here are just losing their shit because GG was highly ranked. Well, "highly ranked" doesn't always mean he's going to excel as a frosh. I'll say it again: give him a high-end offensive minded assistant coach, this off-season, and watch out!
Do you think we need a high-end offensive minded assistant coach? Lol

Reactions: NCAA2122
The really deep one was a horrible, off balanced shot that should never have been taken. I don’t care if it almost went in (I don’t remember if that’s true or not). It wasn’t a good shot. He barely had it in his hand and chucked it up. Full stop.
It was a fine shot. Not ideal but it’s not like we generate much better looks than that. Gavin was fairly balanced and he’s a quick shooter.

This is where RU fans and folks like myself lose track of reality.

The staff actually knows how to coach.....how do I know this?? Because they don't ask players to do things "that they see and most people see that they cannot do".....so what does that mean??

It means that Hyatt is being coached and the staff does a great job at keeping someone in line with "what does the player do very well or what are they capable of doing "??

I was told Hyatt is a poor shooter from 3, despite taking as many 3s as anyone else willing or capable or being a catch and shoot guy. The staff doesn't ask Hyatt to be RHJ and run isolation for him and let him go get shots or a basket. He is not RHJ.....he is a different player.

Hyatt isn't a Top 3 or 5 Forward in the B1G....he is just thriving in the role that maxes out what works within the offense or team concepts. And the same with Mag and others, we get max productivity out of "normal Power 5 players", especially those that aren't elite athletes or players who are Uber quick leapers etc.

The problem is, when the staff puts these players in place and they start becoming productive and not letting them deviate from what works well, then the fans start into delusion about how good or valuable the player is, and normal players get elevated to some unreasonable space.

Hyatt specifically is now in a space where he doesn't have to defer to Spencer or Mulcahy or RHJ etc and it's ultimately him or Gavin, until the others pitch in. But instead of going off the rails and pushing up 9 to 10 3 pointers per game, Hyatt is staying within what is working well and what's a good look, vs a forced extra 3 to 4 shots a game.

I hope (seriously) this makes sense to folks here, so we don't get out of whack here. The "Hyatt is a poor 3 point shooting fanbase or camp" is awful quiet, because they want to so desperately be correct.....and in actual facts, they ARE correct.....Hyatt is not a #1 option that should be launching 10 3s a game. That's not his game or role.

But when he's dialed in and within the game plan and what the staff understands, all of his numbers are up, 2 years in a row. Strange how that works itself out, I guess.
Hyatt is a poor 3 point shooter.

Ha, go back and read reactions to me telling people to stop having such expectations for a freshman. I didn't understand, I just never seen a recruit of his level! I'd seen freshman, I don't put expectations on any of then, but even I thought he would have provided the team more than Oskar up to this point.
Your second point on a high end offensive assistant. Don't hold your breath.

Reactions: EStreetBand
Ha, go back and read reactions to me telling people to stop having such expectations for a freshman. I didn't understand, I just never seen a recruit of his level! I'd seen freshman, I don't put expectations on any of then, but even I thought he would have provided the team more than Oskar up to this point.
Your second point on a high end offensive assistant. Don't hold your breath.
At minimum I thought he would be able to be a spot up 3 point shooter. If anyone said Gavin would be 25% from 3 this far into the season they would have been laughed at

Milo I think straight up quit the board bc Gavin didn't live up to the hype 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Jerseylegends
At minimum I thought he would be able to be a spot up 3 point shooter. If anyone said Gavin would be 25% from 3 this far into the season they would have been laughed at

I noticed Milo vanished. Provided some good conversation.

Reactions: Scangg

I think he in busy ban*ing Otis

It was a fine shot. Not ideal but it’s not like we generate much better looks than that. Gavin was fairly balanced and he’s a quick shooter.
No it wasn’t. There was nothing good about it other than it came from the hands of a highly recruited shooter. To be clear, if any of our other guards took that shot everyone would be furious.

What fans don't realize is that the percentage of threes you make is not important to whether you are a good three point shooter.
Most fans don’t understand the importance of having the ability to attempt a high volume of three point shots. Making them is a secondary skill because you miss 100% of shots you don’t take.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Griffiths has definitely been looking better and more comfortable out there.

At the start of the season, he really seemed lost defensively - and now he's moving better defensively and making better decisions. He's closing out better, helping better, and staying in front of his man better - he really seems to be adapting better to the speed of the game and the talent level of his opponents. He's not a plus defender by any stretch - but he hasn't seemed like the minus defender he was earlier in the season. Really shows a lot of progress, which is great to see - and will likely earn him more minutes.

Offensively, he's also making better decisions. He's no longer just putting up junk from anywhere on the floor as soon as he gets the ball in his hands - he's moving better without the ball, he's putting the ball on the deck when the shot isn't there, and making better passes. His shot isn't falling yet - but I don't think he'd consider a "five feet behind the line three" as a "bad shot", which speaks to the confidence in his range. As his comfort level continues to improve, he gets more used to the talent/athleticism of the guys guarding him, and the game slows down for him, I think his shot will start to fall more often.

He's not where I'd hoped he'd be - but he's definitely coming along, and I think things are going to start clicking for him. I was much more worried for his development (and ability to contribute next year) ten games ago than I am now - the needle is moving in the right direction, and I think the production will improve as he gets more acclimated.

Most fans don’t understand the importance of having the ability to attempt a high volume of three point shots. Making them is a secondary skill because you miss 100% of shots you don’t take.
Anyone can chuck a bunch of 3's

#FreeChol

So is every pass a good pass? You can just throw the ball away bc you miss an assist on 100% of the passes you don't make

No it wasn’t. There was nothing good about it other than it came from the hands of a highly recruited shooter. To be clear, if any of our other guards took that shot everyone would be furious.
I'd rather him shoot that more than half the shots we generate every game.

Reactions: Kbee3
I'd rather him shoot that more than half the shots we generate every game.
Please stop. Go watch it again. I don’t care if he turns out to be the next Steph Curry. That was an awful shot. His feet were not set. He was a mile away from the basket. It resembled a buzzer beater heave in every way possible.

Last edited:
Let’s put this another way. Lots of COLLEGIATE level data on Noah. He’s over a 34% perimeter shooter over a 4+ year career. That shot was taken from so far out that his height would not be a factor - it was heaved before anyone could contest (so you cant rationalize that his prior year stats reflected defense from shorter guys - not relevant from that location one way or the other). How would you guys feel if Noah took that long ball shot early in a shot clock??? Gavin may well turn out to be a great college shooter - at the moment he’s 25% from 3 though. On no planet is that a shot that should have a green light on. Perhaps if he came to a stop in triple threat and after a pump fake or two the D dared him to take it - that would be fine. That was not the circumstance. He threw it up the second he caught the pass.

Last edited:
As a team we missed 34 shots against Maryland. I assume we’ll get to breaking down the other 33 at some point today? Or, does Gavin just draw special attention?

As a team we missed 34 shots against Maryland. I assume we’ll get to breaking down the other 33 at some point today? Or, does Gavin just draw special attention?
And someone on this thread specifically presented an argument claiming that was a good shot.

Reactions: bitnez
He is a pure catch and shoot player, which is what he did. While they’re not currently going in he’s the only C&S guy on the roster. It’s basically what you see in about 75% of NBA games.

If you’ve watched Ace at all this year you should be prepared because he routinely pulls from 25’+. I expect he’ll have 2-4 of them every game next year. So, to me the distance on Gavin’s shot is somewhat irrelevant. Now, ideally, there would’ve been ball reversal and he could’ve stepped in 3-4 feet and gotten a better look. But, our guards don’t run ball reversal so when a shooter gets an open shot they’re going to take it.

All of that said — when they’re not falling, put the ball on the floor and work toward the rim.

Anyone can chuck a bunch of 3's

#FreeChol

So is every pass a good pass? You can just throw the ball away bc you miss an assist on 100% of the passes you don't make
Cmon man you thought I was serious? I was needling another poster lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
He is a pure catch and shoot player, which is what he did. While they’re not currently going in he’s the only C&S guy on the roster. It’s basically what you see in about 75% of NBA games.

If you’ve watched Ace at all this year you should be prepared because he routinely pulls from 25’+. I expect he’ll have 2-4 of them every game next year. So, to me the distance on Gavin’s shot is somewhat irrelevant. Now, ideally, there would’ve been ball reversal and he could’ve stepped in 3-4 feet and gotten a better look. But, our guards don’t run ball reversal so when a shooter gets an open shot they’re going to take it.

All of that said — when they’re not falling, put the ball on the floor and work toward the rim.

This distance is not irrelevant and wouldn’t be for anyone in this case. It was a rushed, off balanced shot taken from a mile away from the basket the second he secured the pass. That is point blank not a good shot to take. It wouldn’t be a good shot from in closer either but the fact that he rushed a shot from so far away from the basket that the D likely would’ve given him room on anyway makes it worse. The only reason for anyone to take a shot like that would be if time were expiring.

That said - I wasn’t pointing this out to single him out. I was responding to the poster who basically tried to argue this was a good shot that he got unlucky on in context of a discussion that he’s improving. He did some good things in the game - the pass to Cliff at the top of the list. That shot though does not in any way fall into the category of him showing promise / development.

This distance is not irrelevant and wouldn’t be for anyone in this case. It was a rushed, off balanced shot taken from a mile away from the basket the second he secured the pass. That is point blank not a good shot to take. It wouldn’t be a good shot from in closer either but the fact that he rushed a shot from so far away from the basket that the D likely would’ve given him room on anyway makes it worse. The only reason for anyone to take a shot like that would be if time were expiring.

Derek and JMike take wild runners going to the basket. Cliff takes weird midrange jumpers. Hyatt can’t finish at the rim (despite his size). Yet, all these guys consistently take these shots every game. I’m not saying it was a “good” shot. I’m saying all these guys play a particular game and whether you or I or anyone else likes it, I suspect that deep 3s are part of Gavin’s game. When he finally gets his shots to fall (I hope) I think we’ll see even more of them. With that back to work.

Anyone know what Griffiths shooting percentages were in HS? Are those stats kept?

Derek and JMike take wild runners going to the basket. Cliff takes weird midrange jumpers. Hyatt can’t finish at the rim (despite his size). Yet, all these guys consistently take these shots every game. I’m not saying it was a “good” shot. I’m saying all these guys play a particular game and whether you or I or anyone else likes it, I suspect that deep 3s are part of Gavin’s game. When he finally gets his shots to fall (I hope) I think we’ll see even more of them. With that back to work.

Again - this wasn’t about singling Gavin out for poor shooting. It was a call out to the poster who brought this particular shot attempt up to support the idea that Gavin is turning a corner. No matter how many examples of worse shots you can point to from other players, there was nothing good or promising about that particular attempt in terms of Gavin’s development.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT