ADVERTISEMENT

Guarantano accused of pouting on the sideline

Saw the same thing and pointed it out on another thread. Maybe he should go down the road and chat with Rettig and learn how to act. He at least has 3 more years to get it right...there or somewhere else
And I don't think it will be in Piscataway....try BC!

Last edited:
Butch Jones often looks a nanosecond short of stroking out. IIRC, he and his Dad thought Jones was wonderful.
JG cooked his own goose when he went there.
butch-jones-is-pissed-a.gif
14_4853366.jpg
butch-jonesjpg-82fa30bb7afdbae7.jpg
Can't tell if Butch Jones is passing a stone, constipated and trying to grab the bull by the horns, or that's his everyday face..

Reactions: Knight Shift
I don't get it. What's the big deal? He's a redshirt freshman who made the 2 deep and the kid playing ahead of him is a junior. He's probably pouting because he probably feels that he's better than the current starter.

JG was a recruit during a period of time when I was obsessed with recruiting. I was following this for hours per day, every day. I never heard a single good thing about the kid's character.

Or his father's. Small wonder he behaves like he does

Hard to blame him for not wanting to play for Flood.

Wow I'm shocked!

1.He was not good in HS. He was average.. which is proving he's not a top QB hence he didn't beat out a great QB.
2. Of course Jones told him he would be a starter after 1 year. It's called recruiting and him and his father were dumb enough to believe him
3. We are in a much better situation this year with KB and with Lewis for the future
4. See 1 again

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Wow I'm shocked!

1.He was not good in HS. He was average.. which is proving he's not a top QB hence he didn't beat out a great QB.
2. Of course Jones told him he would be a starter after 1 year. It's called recruiting and him and his father were dumb enough to believe him
3. We are in a much better situation this year with KB and with Lewis for the future
4. See 1 again

Well the qb we got instead of him now rides the pine at community college so hard to say we're better off. We could have JG and Lewis.

His father needed to get the kid here plain and simple
Father was the reason he didn't come here.
Leaving all considerations of his character and so forth to the side, let's be completely honest with ourselves, though. During his recruiting cycle in 2015, we really were not the most attractive landing spot for a kid with 30 offers, nearly all P5. Hard to blame the dad balking at sending his kid to his alma mater when at the time, the program clearly lacked discipline, leadership at the AD's office, and any semblance of good coaching.

Reactions: MV9000 and Block R
Leaving all considerations of his character and so forth to the side, let's be completely honest with ourselves, though. During his recruiting cycle in 2015, we really were not the most attractive landing spot for a kid with 30 offers, nearly all P5. Hard to blame the dad balking at sending his kid to his alma mater when at the time, the program clearly lacked discipline, leadership at the AD's office, and any semblance of good coaching.

Yeah but the dad didn't have to show up a Rutgers decked out in Tennessee gear.

I sat with him and all the super recruits from that class at a closed scrimmage prior to the season. I can say pretty confidently it wasn't the kids who needed to be sold on staying home and playing together.

I remember watching this live and thinking this. As Tennessee started a comeback after a big touchdown throw they showed JG on the sideline and he looked disappointed, not running up the sideline cheering or even clapping like you would expect.

Wow I'm shocked!

4. See 1 again
Wrong on point #1. The kid had a monster arm and was a very good runner. Probably the best QB to come out of NJ in the last 5 years outside of Wimbush from St Peters Prep. Played with a bad OL and in a system not suited for a dual threat QB. Was a one man wrecking crew against IMG Acdemy from Florida.
No opinion of his talents from the neck up.

Last edited:
Eyeblack is meant to keep the sun rays out of the eyes for players. Only a tool wears it while playing indoors; also at night; and then defeats the purpose of it at all by smearing it, to try to look "cool" like he thinks everyone thinks of him .. tool

Excellent summary of the situation, I think.

I'll add a bit. From what the Dad, former Rutgers great, said at the time... it seemed like the father wished he had played at a big name school rather than Rutgers.. perhaps assuming he would have had a pro career if he had.. so it seemed to me that the Vols decision was the father being told all the right things by Butchy-boy that fed into his thoughts of his own career and limitations having played at Rutgers.

But, yeah.. if true it really sucks for JG.. being lied to.. but he burned his redshirt so he should be a good sport and support the team, learn as much as he can, rebuild his name as a leader and team player and then transfer out at the end of the semester to get spring practice at his new program... and I suggest a good school where the degree itself means something. not sure what his major is but his offer list has a lot of good schools on it...

I don't know if JG has the ability and personality to recover from this.. but, done right, this can actually IMPROVE his name and his future. All he needs do to OWN UP TO IT.. admit his failure and say he'll do a better job and hope to earn his position and opportunities but will support the team any way possible.. then do it. He'll have more name recognition because of this and he can use that to show he has self-awareness and has learned to handle disappointment in a professional way.

Good luck to him.

PS.. I don't care how he dissed Rutgers... kids are so stupid about these things today.

But here's some advice I typed in here for a Rutgers player who had his image issues here and even afterward but is still in the NFL... every day you have a chance to improve your brand to make yourself MORE MONEY when it comes time to sign a contract. You may think you are an amateur playing college football for nothing.. but, if you end up a PRO.. you will find that you are making money every single day that you do the right thing.. to develop your abilities and your body and your mind.. you just don't see that money until you sign a contract. So. get to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
His going to Tenn was all about the Dad. As many have said for a long time, our HOF'er acted only in his own interest at the time. Unfortunately, I may end up being the wrong choice for the kid but...It also looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. JG should have been up and cheering the comeback. And when the coaches are on the sideline, pay attention.
I get it that a lot of NJ talent will go elsewhere. I am ok with that because it is their choice and their lives and there really are a lot of good choices out there for them. But there was nothing about choosing Tenn and the way they did it that had "good choice" on it. It was glitz glamour promises and lies.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Dumbest post of the thread, but not surprising.

What's dumb about it? It's a hundred percent true. We didn't get JG and ended up with a Tylin Odin. Lewis was the next class.

I mean the first statement is literally a fact, so explain why it's dumb or buzz off.

His going to Tenn was all about the Dad. As many have said for a long time, our HOF'er acted only in his own interest at the time. Unfortunately, I may end up being the wrong choice for the kid but...It also looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. JG should have been up and cheering the comeback. And when the coaches are on the sideline, pay attention.
I get it that a lot of NJ talent will go elsewhere. I am ok with that because it is their choice and their lives and there really are a lot of good choices out there for them. But there was nothing about choosing Tenn and the way they did it that had "good choice" on it. It was glitz glamour promises and lies.
What lie was he told?

Father was the reason he didn't come here.

1) father told me flat out- if Jarrett goes to rutgers all the other top kids come here

2) but didnt think flood could win here.

3) and facilities attract recruits and rutgers had not made the upgrade in facilities.

Amongst some other things he said...

Dad loves rutgers but he developed that northern New Jersey -we are bigger time- mindset.

Butch Jones coached at Rutgers when dad was here. He made him feel like Jarrett would be very successful at tennessee.

I don't think that's a lie. That's recruiting
Agreed. He's a RS Freshman and is number 2 and looked like he was on the verge of playing. So he has had some success as far as moving up the depth chart. Who knows what happens now. Unless he was promised a starting job by this time I don't see a problem.

Butch Jones coached at Rutgers when dad was here. He made him feel like Jarrett would be very successful at tennessee.

I don't think that's a lie. That's recruiting

Ok- let's call it recruiting...and I don't put that on Butch Jones. A coach has to sell you. But papa G bought into that recruiting hook, line and sinker...

1) father told me flat out- if Jarrett goes to rutgers all the other top kids come here

2) but didnt think flood could win here.

3) and facilities attract recruits and rutgers had not made the upgrade in facilities.

Amongst some other things he said...

Dad loves rutgers but he developed that northern New Jersey -we are bigger time- mindset.

Soooooo- if he loves RU so much, why play games? Just come out and say what you just posted. Don't have your kid coming to RU with Tenn sneakers on, don't play all the mind games...show some class and do it the right way.

Reactions: ScarletNut
one thing not looked at here so far is, how will Butch react to all this?....

It is possible he got slightly embarrassed by JG, maybe not so much during the game because he was busy, but by the reports afterwards

Butch seems like a strong willed guy, possibly a hothead....if anything, he might be more prone to bring in the number three qb next week, if Dormady needed a down off, eg.....to teach JG a lesson of sorts

but you don't get in a coaches good graces doing what he did, you grab a clipboard, join the discussions, stand up, clap for the good, etc

so, how is Butch reacting?....or does he just dismiss it totally?

Didn't Butch get his dad a PAID "job" at Tenn?

That is the real reason he went there.

I don't think you are allowed to do that anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT