ADVERTISEMENT

Hale Center to become Football only?

I thought this was a horrible idea. Moving teams further away from their practice field to underneath the bleachers of a football stadium??? Not an improvement at all and certainly not the strategic plan I was hoping to hear about they've supposedly been working on for almost a year now.

we will have to see what the perception is to recruits of the non-revenue sports that get moved.

Currently, you are selling them a nice training facility (Hale Center). In the future it will be under the bleachers. I can see some of the other schools using that to their advantage. For example, maybe UConn, SHU, or St Johns will tell a soccer recruit that they will be training in the basement of Rutgers Stadium vs. a training facility that they have. Soccer / Lacrosse / Field Hockey probably needs a facility similar to the Metuchen Sportsplex with indoor fields that can be separated and then an area with locker rooms, weight rooms, and training rooms. You have the bubble for full sized scrimmaging but they need smaller areas for drills on a regular basis during the off season.

How many square feet are available to develop under the south endzone? Is there enough for all of these weight rooms, training rooms, team classrooms and locker rooms?

They would be moving the locker rooms and training areas for those sports about 200 yards from where they are now. They would have brand new everything and for a fraction of the cost of "Athletes Village". If you think that's a bad deal you're out of your mind.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
So we will be stuck with the Hale center locker room for football? Does this open up space for an updated locker room in the Hale?

For example, maybe UConn, SHU, or St Johns will tell a soccer recruit that they will be training in the basement of Rutgers Stadium vs. a training facility that they have. Soccer / Lacrosse / Field Hockey probably needs a facility similar to the Metuchen Sportsplex with indoor fields that can be separated and then an area with locker rooms, weight rooms, and training rooms. You have the bubble for full sized scrimmaging but they need smaller areas for drills on a regular basis during the off season.

Rutgers soccer's facilities have been used by the Brazilian national team and Manchester City for training. I highly doubt they're sub par.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Rutgers soccer's facilities have been used by the Brazilian national team and Manchester City for training. I highly doubt they're sub par.

I worked for the soccer program. The field itself is well kept but the facilities are indeed subpar. "Locker room" is a joke compared to peer schools. Brazil and city used Rutgers as a home base because of its proximity to The Meadowlands or Red Bull Arena depending on their engagement.

Wasn't the south endzone supposed to be a location for locker rooms for both Rutgers and visiting teams so that teams would come out of the tunnel there? I guess this is being scrapped?

This is a leaked concept. I'm not going to get worked up about such limited details.

Perhaps the master plan is to move those sports there for 5 years but build it in a way that when a new separate facility is built football can take over that space with limited reconfiguration/construction. That would fit with trying to find immediate solutions to problems while building toward a better future. Until we see the complete master plan you can't really get upset about anything because you're just basing it on a questionable source of information.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT