ADVERTISEMENT

Hales Tweet

Probably because we lost Olmsted, Wallace, Hickman, and Cross Jr this week. Not like we had a real chance at any of them though.

Reactions: RUchip
Probably because we lost Olmsted, Wallace, Hickman, and Cross Jr this week. Not like we had a real chance at any of them though.
That isn't the attitude you go into recruiting with though. Looking at it another way, you don't "have a real chance" unless you are the final choice. In the past when we landed the #1 player in NJ two years running, we had a 100% chance with those players.

Just build the program with the good, solid players. The same way this program was built 18 years ago. Get enough of those... and coaching them up... that's when the 4s and 5s start coming.

Sounds ta me like his passion for success in recruiting has taken a hit.
He sounds like a fighter that gets off the matt and comes back with a vengence

If we did not have a chance, did we really "lose" them?
I'm sure NJ.com will have headlines to make it sound that way. They already did that for Olmstead, who was a Notre Dame lock.

Reactions: CrazyfoRU
Blaming the recruits?????

He's complaining about NJ HS football, recruits, coaches, whatever. stop complaining and do a better job recruiting. It's a whiney tweet. Best way to fail is to blame others.

To be honest after all these years following RU football, I could care less if RU had an entire 2019 recruiting class with not one top NJ player. NJ has no state pride folks. The pride comes after the winning. Offer the top kids in NJ and quickly move onto 4* and 3* recruits in NY, MD, PA, VA, DE, and FL with a looksy here and there in the Midwest, Southwest, and West.

I don't even read recruiting articles anymore on NJ players. Win and they will come. Look at what Coach Pike is doing with basketball.

GO RU

I don't mind some honesty coming from the coaching staff. Good tweet coach Hales! But i don't think any of these guys were ever a Rutgers lean so no surprises at all and now Alfano will be the next to go to Ped State according to the predictions, but it sucks that they all happened within one weekend. Would be nice to grab one top 10 NJ guy.

Reactions: FlaKnight
He's complaining about NJ HS football, recruits, coaches, whatever. stop complaining and do a better job recruiting. It's a whiney tweet. Best way to fail is to blame others.
I doubt its a case of needing to do a better job recruiting. Most of these top guys want to go some where they can be a top 25 team day one and I dont blame them. What they fail to understand is if they are as good as think they are and can convince several other top guys to commit to RU with them they will be at the top 25 level by their junior season if not soone. R U is not that far from that level right now.

To be honest after all these years following RU football, I could care less if RU had an entire 2019 recruiting class with not one top NJ player. NJ has no state pride folks. The pride comes after the winning. Offer the top kids in NJ and quickly move onto 4* and 3* recruits in NY, MD, PA, VA, DE, and FL with a looksy here and there in the Midwest, Southwest, and West.

I don't even read recruiting articles anymore on NJ players. Win and they will come. Look at what Coach Pike is doing with basketball.

GO RU

Same. If our entire team was 3 and 4 stars from Florida, NY, and PA that’d be just fine with me. State pride is one of the dumbest things ever. A genetic accident. Maybe it was important in the 1860’s, couldn’t care less about it now

If we did not have a chance, did we really "lose" them?
I'm sure NJ.com will have headlines to make it sound that way. They already did that for Olmstead, who was a Notre Dame lock.

I agree, we probably lost these recruits before the process started, that's what needs to change. The current culture of the big parochial programs is to play national schedules and get their top kids recruited by blue blood programs. That's what these coaches get paid for, that's why some of the parents send their kids to these schools. Until RU is seen as a big time program by coaches, players, parents and people in NJ as a whole they will struggle to land the top in state recruits.

I agree, we probably lost these recruits before the process started, that's what needs to change. The current culture of the big parochial programs is to play national schedules and get their top kids recruited by blue blood programs. That's what these coaches get paid for, that's why some of the parents send their kids to these schools. Until RU is seen as a big time program by coaches, players, parents and people in NJ as a whole they will struggle to land the top in state recruits.

yes, I agree. Parents spend a TON of money on camps, extra training, and in these cases private High Schools. Parents do this because they are hoping for an offer from an elite program. Once they get it, that is all she wrote, we have no chance. Some parents will dp the same but they are just looking for any D1 FBS Power Five offer, for those we have a chance, since we fit the bill.

To get the elite recruits you a have to be an elite school or at least have a ton of hype and are coming off an insane season, where you made the playoffs. Even then that may only work for a few years until the hype dies down. Or you can just buy off the family like they do down south :flush:

yes, I agree. Parents spend a TON of money on camps, extra training, and in these cases private High Schools. Parents do this because they are hoping for an offer from an elite program. Once they get it, that is all she wrote, we have no chance. Some parents will dp the same but they are just looking for any D1 FBS Power Five offer, for those we have a chance, since we fit the bill.

To get the elite recruits you a have to be an elite school or at least have a ton of hype and are coming off an insane season, where you made the playoffs.

For the next 5-10 years, "coming off the insane season" is the best Rutgers can hope for. Face it, Rutgers is not elite, and will not be elite within the next 5 years. Maybe in 10 years if everything goes "R" way.

Elite- Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, Penn State (barf), Wisconsin (quasi-elite?), UCLA, the entire SEC ([roll]). Not seeing RU fitting into this group unless we go on a run where we are fighting for the top spot in the B1G East on regular basis.

With few exceptions, we know there is no state pride in New Jersey. Many people in NJ hate their State, and we eat our own. It's a me generation, and maybe with athletes, it has always been that way-- they want to "take their talents" to a place where they will compete for championships. We do not offer that right now. Scream all you want at the coaches for not getting it done. But we would need a Chip Kelly, an Urban Meyer or Nick Saban to be our coach, and that is not happening either. Maybe when Hobbs becomes the University President. . . . . [pfftt]

I doubt its a case of needing to do a better job recruiting. Most of these top guys want to go some where they can be a top 25 team day one and I dont blame them. What they fail to understand is if they are as good as think they are and can convince several other top guys to commit to RU with them they will be at the top 25 level by their junior season if not soone. R U is not that far from that level right now.

Yes i

To get the elite recruits you a have to be an elite school or at least have a ton of hype and are coming off an insane season, where you made the playoffs. Even then that may only work for a few years until the hype dies down. Or you can just buy off the family like they do down south :flush:

Yes, the thing that gets me is when a kid chooses a school like BC or NC State when they are far from a blue blood. I get that some kids want to get away, or they want to go somewhere warm or catholic education etc. I think that applies to some of them, but others (the anywhere but RU crowd) just have a negative view of the school.

Yes, the thing that gets me is when a kid chooses a school like BC or NC State when they are far from a blue blood. I get that some kids want to get away, or they want to go somewhere warm or catholic education etc. I think that applies to some of them, but others (the anywhere but RU crowd) just have a negative view of the school.

Those schools are at the same level as us, but again, I think you are right, BC has become a safely school for those who want a catholic education but can't get an offer from UND. A school like NC State? Some of these kids come from rough crime ridden cities here and they just want to get as far away as possible. The ones from the suburbs.. I don't know, I guess they didn't like Rutgers, didn't want to play against our monster schedule, thought they had a better chance to start somewhere else, wanted to play a position besides what we saw them at, etc, etc. AKA not a good fit.

That's creative interpritation of his comments. He sounded disapointed, not whiney, and he is not blaming anyone. I guess that you see what you want to see.

He's right the top NJ prospects SUCK
Next you'll here there repping NJ.
That's the part that always pissed me off. When they say I'm reppin NJ here in blah state. No you're not, your now playing for the pride and glory of that University/State and the people who live in it. You're doing absolutely nothing for NJ other than making it look bad with that sentiment. Just leave if you want, shut the fvck up and get a job in that state since that's where you wanted to be.

I’ve heard the following built in excuses by NJ residents over the years on why they don’t support their state U: Stadium does not seat 50k, not on tv, not in a real conference, don’t go to bowl games, HC does not have BIg Time coaching experience, facilities are not up to pare, no tradition, the uniforms, the food in the dining hall, no outreach to NJ HS coaches, don’t care about south jersey recruits, don’t care about parochial recruits, education is not as a good, Rte 18 is one lane each way, not enough things to do on Livingston, AD and Prez of School are not good, the Knight is too Scarlet, will never be invited to the Big 10 conf. I mean on and on with one bullshit reason or another to support some other program. Just STFU already. Im fine with adopting NYC as a part of NJ for their top recruits and going after top recruits throughout the eastern seaboard. Enough with the coddling of NJ recruits, their parents, and the remaining residents of this fragmented state.

GO RU

Reactions: njcanesfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT