ADVERTISEMENT

Harper update (combine prep)

I really think Ron will make it in the NBA…lots of talent and is a flat out winner.

Yeboah played the 4 at 6'6 230. Pretending Ron needed to be 260+ to handle the 4 just isn't true. I loved Ron more than anyone. Ron was amazing. A legend. A hero.

He still could have dropped a few pounds and played the 4 at the weight he is now in these clips and he would have been even better. I'm not ripping Ron for it, but let's use a little common sense and not pretend his weight was ideal just bc we all love Ron and he was freaking amazing

Yeboah played the 4 at 6'6 230. Pretending Ron needed to be 260+ to handle the 4 just isn't true. I loved Ron more than anyone. Ron was amazing. A legend. A hero.

He still could have dropped a few pounds and played the 4 at the weight he is now in these clips and he would have been even better. I'm not ripping Ron for it, but let's use a little common sense and not pretend his weight was ideal just bc we all love Ron and he was freaking amazing
Common sense yet we're mentioning Yeboah's game and Ron's in the same breath? Come on, now.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
Oh brother. - the same know-it-alls on this board are now weight experts.
You don't have to be a "Know it All" to understand being in peak physical condition generally makes the game easier. Speed, quickness, cardio etc... are better when you are ripped and muscular.

How many players with Ron Harper Jr.'s game are 6'6" 260.

Again I’ll day anyone who played sports knows what the issues were and everyone else are just wannabes.

Again I’ll day anyone who played sports knows what the issues were and everyone else are just wannabes.
What were the issues? Are you suggesting something that would have prevented Ron from being in better shape? Does it take a non wannabe to see a player could have been in better shape?

Common sense yet we're mentioning Yeboah's game and Ron's in the same breath? Come on, now.
Yes, Yeboah started at the 4 before Ron started at the 4.

The relevance of comparing their sizes is obvious.

People are saying Ron needed the extra weight to play the 4 when literally the starting 4 before him was the same height and weighed 30lbs less.

Try to follow along

Reactions: RU_DIO and kcg88

People are saying Ron needed the extra weight to play the 4 when literally the starting 4 before him was the same height and weighed 30lbs less.

Try to follow along
he might not have needed it, but could have felt he did and was more comfortable playing at that weight , even if it was only mentally.
Lost quickness of course but he could have felt with Myles gone the the bulk he put on would help his and RU's inside game.
Can't say if that's true, but doubt RHJ was too lazy to be in tip top shape and down to the 245 he was when Myles controlled the inside.
Now Ron knows quickness matters if he's going to make the NBA and losing the bulk to gain the quickness needed.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Just shedding 13 lbs should add 2" to his vertical. Working full time with a trainer and nutritionist produces results. I remember when Lebron shed his baby fat. He added a dimension to his game.

His physical conditioning has always been a fair criticism - though I don’t know much about developing a body for basketball, and how it’s different than football (e.g. just can’t pack on pounds and muscle for the sake of being bigger/stronger). Also wonder how much of it was just due to him being a late bloomer physically.

It really shouldn't even be controversial. It's like saying Douby could have benefited from adding a few pounds of muscle. It's not ripping the player or taking away from how great they were. It's just stating the obvious

It really shouldn't even be controversial. It's like saying Douby could have benefited from adding a few pounds of muscle. It's not ripping the player or taking away from how great they were. It's just stating the obvious
This is spot on.

Reactions: Scangg
It seems the draft combine is smaller this year, only 60 prospects are invited. So for Ron to get an invitation is a good sign.

Reactions: LOU-RU85
It seems the draft combine is smaller this year, only 60 prospects are invited. So for Ron to get an invitation is a good sign.

Actually the opposite.
2021 had 69 invitees.
2022 has 76 invitees.

Might be confused with the actual draft that is 60 picks.

Actually the opposite.
2021 had 69 invitees.
2022 has 76 invitees.

Might be confused with the actual draft that is 60 picks.
Actually the draft is 58 this year haha. And I was mistaken, saw a false report before they released the full list, my fault.

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714

Try to follow along
This is a joke, right? Yeboah was a nice player who started over half the games and had the luxury of playing with full time starter and sophomore Ron Harper who btw outrebounded, outscored and out shot blocked Yeboah that year. Rutgers also had Shaq Carter and Myles Johnson to man the paint while Ron only had Cliff. Absurd to be comparing Yeboah’s “power forward” ability at his weight. He was a finesse player and Ron needed to do more. All-American.

Last edited:
ESPN has RHJ as #63 best available: https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/3
Interesting that they list him at 6'6" 245lbs.
Even at 245lbs there are significant questions about his body from NBA scouts.

The original tweet celebrates that he's down to 247 - which is still higher than his "listed" weight.
Honestly, he needs to lose another 20-25lbs prior to the combine or else he's going to weigh in as a SG/SF with a Top 5 weight.
Obviously weight isn't everything but being heavier than most PF/C at the Combine won't be a good look.

Hopefully his height w/ and w/o shoes doesn't go down too much.

Weight can be deceptive, he could be also adding muscle. He’s passing the eye test now for sure. Hope he keeps going! Much love to Ron!

Reactions: Loyal-Son
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT