ADVERTISEMENT

Heisman Trophy Winner apologizes for anti-gay tweets made when he was 14-15

I deleted that message because it is not worth it.. still isn't.

That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm simply pointing out that you haven't seen all of the conversation, as it's not all on this board.

So, again, you're injecting yourself into something that isn't within your scope.

It was a valid point. Get over your ridiculous self.

I don't know what's happened to you. You used to be a level-headed guy. Now you're throwing in with BaghdadAl and Slingblade in every thread. It's not a good look.
Who is this Slingblade?

Who is this Slingblade?
C'mon man:
tenor.gif

Reactions: NotInRHouse
OK. I'll be the contrarian here.

It DOES matter what you say and how you think when you're young. I NEVER in my entire life used the "n" word, called someone a Jewish or Latino or gay slur, or uttered anything of the sort. It doesn't matter if there was no Twitter or Facebook back then. You can talk to every single human being I ever spoke with and nobody would be able to say he EVER heard me utter such a thing. Not once. Ever.

So don't tell me everyone else is the problem. These people not only say and think such things, they put them on Twitter for everyone to see. So not only wrong in the thinking but f-ing stupid on top of that.

The second part is something easily forgiven. But stop with this "easily offended" crap. Objecting to an offensive slur is not exactly the same as over-reacting to a decades-old song lyric or reading too much into animated Disney films. Put yourself on the other end of it and say it's no big deal.

These things blow over. But let it blow over and don't make it worse by sounding ignorant yourselves while adding length to the "issue."

Your Cyber footprint follows you forever.
If you’re ever fortunate enough to become relevant to the public for a good cause or noble reason.
Be assured your past will be dug up and exposed if you made the mistake of a controversial statement on social media.

That includes a text to some one who may decide to turn on you one day.

What a sad world our children are growing up in

+1

This is why I post anonymously on a message board...so no one could ever hold what i say (such as jokes) against me.

It DOES matter what you say and how you think when you're young. I NEVER in my entire life used the "n" word, called someone a Jewish or Latino or gay slur, or uttered anything of the sort. It doesn't matter if there was no Twitter or Facebook back then. You can talk to every single human being I ever spoke with and nobody would be able to say he EVER heard me utter such a thing. Not once. Ever.

So don't tell me everyone else is the problem. These people not only say and think such things, they put them on Twitter for everyone to see. So not only wrong in the thinking but f-ing stupid on top of that.

The second part is something easily forgiven. But stop with this "easily offended" crap. Objecting to an offensive slur is not exactly the same as over-reacting to a decades-old song lyric or reading too much into animated Disney films. Put yourself on the other end of it and say it's no big deal.

These things blow over. But let it blow over and don't make it worse by sounding ignorant yourselves while adding length to the "issue."

I mostly agree with your sentiments.

Everyone has bad moments (even if it's not using obscene language). That said, the people that can look back and accept responsibility for their actions and grow are usually better from it.

I'm actually a bit surprised that people are upset that something that a person posted for the world to see and kept it up for everyone to see, is seeing a backlash for his actions. It's a part of growing up right? You make a mistake, you learn the lessons from it and you move on. This will blow over eventually and he will come out of this a better person (hopefully).

Everyone has bad moments (even if it's not using obscene language). That said, the people that can look back and accept responsibility for their actions and grow are usually better from it.

I'm actually a bit surprised that people are upset that something that a person posted for the world to see and kept it up for everyone to see, is seeing a backlash for his actions. It's a part of growing up right? You make a mistake, you learn the lessons from it and you move on. This will blow over eventually and he will come out of this a better person (hopefully).

Given that it stopped, and has been stopped for years, I suggest he did learn from it and moved on. What is unnecessary is the outrage machine digging through years old records from someone's youth (this is not a candidate for the Senate who made offensive comments while he was in his 30s in a state legislature somewhere) and creating a faux controversy.

If instead of making bad tweets, Murray had committed actual crimes (even violent ones) as a juvenile, he gets a clean slate when he becomes an adult because the legal system understands young people sometimes lack judgement/do stupid things and they shouldn't have lifelong accountability for mistakes made during development.

To want adults to be have lifelong responsibility for statements they make, but not crimes they commit, as a juvenile is a real indictment of how idiotic our culture has become.

This is such bullshit. A 14 year old is using those kind of words because of their parents/family, who their friends happen to be, and what type of neighborhood they happen live in. All of which are outside of their control. Even in high school, kids are not able to make decisions about what kind of person they are or how they feel about very difficult political positions. In addition to generally not knowing what they think about anything, they are also impulsive. That's why they are kids.

The whole "I never had a hateful bone in my body" thing is just so silly. If your parents said racist stuff all the time, and your friends said racist stuff all the time, you would have grown up saying stupid racist shit too - whether you believed any of it or not. Maybe as you got older and saw more of the world, you would turn away from that, or maybe you wouldn't. But I am not going to put that on a 14 year old.

This is such bullshit. A 14 year old is using those kind of words because of their parents/family, who their friends happen to be, and what type of neighborhood they happen live in. All of which are outside of their control. Even in high school, kids are not able to make decisions about what kind of person they are or how they feel about very difficult political positions. In addition to generally not knowing what they think about anything, they are also impulsive. That's why they are kids.

The whole "I never had a hateful bone in my body" thing is just so silly. If your parents said racist stuff all the time, and your friends said racist stuff all the time, you would have grown up saying stupid racist shit too - whether you believed any of it or not. Maybe as you got older and saw more of the world, you would turn away from that, or maybe you wouldn't. But I am not going to put that on a 14 year old.
You guys really baby these kids. What age do you put it on them? 18, 21 or 35? Nothing wrong with getting called out. Only way to learn.

You guys really baby these kids. What age do you put it on them? 18, 21 or 35? Nothing wrong with getting called out. Only way to learn.

Well, the PC police has made it so that there IS something wrong with getting called out. Because the next step is not that you apologize and say "Welp, I learned my lesson" - its that they demand for you to lose your job and become permanently unemployable. There is no such thing as getting called out for a racist or bigoted tweet, and simply apologizing anymore. Now a bunch of anonymous want your neck on the rail. So yeah, I think in that world you need to consider defending a 14 year olds comments as being off limits.

What age do I put it on them? For stuff of this nature, probably 20 or 21. By then you have seen enough of the world that you should have figured out that your childhood friends/parent might have been politically incorrect/bigoted/racist. And you should know the difference. At 14 you are mostly just parroting your upbringing and people you look up to, regardless of how misguided.

Well, the PC police has made it so that there IS something wrong with getting called out. Because the next step is not that you apologize and say "Welp, I learned my lesson" - its that they demand for you to lose your job and become permanently unemployable. There is no such thing as getting called out for a racist or bigoted tweet, and simply apologizing anymore. Now a bunch of anonymous want your neck on the rail. So yeah, I think in that world you need to consider defending a 14 year olds comments as being off limits.

What age do I put it on them? For stuff of this nature, probably 20 or 21. By then you have seen enough of the world that you should have figured out that your childhood friends/parent might have been politically incorrect/bigoted/racist. And you should know the difference. At 14 you are mostly just parroting your upbringing and people you look up to, regardless of how misguided.
Since when can't we be politically incorrect? Screw PC and those who say we all have abide by those unwritten pussy laws! Oh you hurt my poor little feelings whaaa, whaaaaa. FREEDOM OF SPEECH BRO! And to hell with the # Metoo movement.

Well blame us baby boomers. We raised this generation of a$$hats and look the other way when they were taking this agenda to extremes.
Then at again. It is what you get when your kids are raised by teachers that are 90% women and the great balanced ones are too afraid or quite frankly unable to push back on the b's due to the legal wussies.

Well blame us baby boomers. We raised this generation of a$$hats and look the other way when they were taking this agenda to extremes.
Then at again. It is what you get when your kids are raised by teachers that are 90% women and the great balanced ones are too afraid or quite frankly unable to push back on the b's due to the legal wussies.
I guess I am lucky my son is 12 and is being taught he has freedom of speech. The hell with PC! Only pussies and weak minded people cave to it ! Oh I love my roots as a blue collar construction worker!

I guess I am lucky my son is 12 and is being taught he has freedom of speech. The hell with PC! Only pussies and weak minded people cave to it !

I think it's great that you're teaching your kid the idea that people who don't think the same way you do are weak-minded pussies.

Didn’t know we had so many colin kaepernick‘s fan. Forget PC. Burn the flag and kneel during the anthem. Freedom of speech.

Until you turn 20, then it’s all over.

Reactions: RUforJERSEY
The real question is how far back do you go?

Another question is why did this only come out AFTER he won the Heisman? Stinks of jealousy from a miserable, bitter loser. Probably some Texas or Alabama fan dug it up.

Good for just apologizing. He shouldn’t have to but he shows some character here. Fellow RU fans please try to emulate this good character.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT