ADVERTISEMENT

Helmet Stickers

Nobody outside this program knows we started the stickers...

Agreed. I never knew this and I consider myself a Rutgers football nut.

I prefer we don't go with them because it would just bring up more comparisons to Ohio State, but If they went with stickers I would hope they do 2 things:

1) Keep them clean and organized. The stars look pretty good.

2) Publicize and make it known that we started the stickers and we're going back to our historic roots.

Reactions: LC-88
Agreed. I never knew this and I consider myself a Rutgers football nut.

If they went with stickers I would hope they do 2 things:

1) Keep them clean and organized. The stars look pretty good.

2) Publicize and make it known that we started the stickers and we're going back to our historic roots.
Pretty sure with the new group running things both would be to your liking.

Reactions: S_Janowski
So we were the first to start them. We were also first to say, "yeah that was a bad idea, let's stop that."

we were absolutely not the first to stop wearing them.. That doesn't even make sense man. lol

5ouoaw.png

There was a moment when I thought the emblem would be a great sticker. Maybe not.

Reactions: MikeRU09
Wikipedia on helmet stickers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmet_sticker

History

ESPN says the practice of awarding helmet stickers is often wrongly credited to Ernie Biggs, also a trainer at Ohio State under legendary coach Woody Hayes.[1] They instead claim that the practice of awarding stickers began with Jim Young, former assistant coach at Miami in 1965, two years before they were used by the Buckeyes.[1]

An even earlier[when?] attribution is given to Gene Stauber, freshman coach at Nebraska (1955–1957) by head coach Pete Elliott.[2] Stauber routinely used stickers throughout his tenure as assistant coach at Illinois (1960–1970), as a 1962 photo of All-American linebacker Dick Butkus indicates.[3] The stickers stem from fighter pilots marking their planes with stickers after kills and/or successful missions.[4]

Michael Pellowski, in his book “Rutgers Football: A Gridiron Tradition in Scarlet," credits Rutgers defensive backs coach Dewey King with being “one of the first” to award decals for helmets in 1961. The stickers were given for interceptions only so they were more difficult to earn. Every time there was an interception, the crowd yelled “give him the star.” The stars can be seen in this photo of the 1961 team walking from the locker room to the field prior to the season finale against Columbia.[5]

As the person who had the responsibility to put the stars on our players helmets back in 1960/61 I can say it is all valid that Rutgers did it first. It's all documented in Coach Dewey King's book..Jericho, A System of Pass Defense. I misplaced my copy but I may have a copy of the pages that describe how he came to the decision to put stars on helmets for pass interceptions. In 1961 Rutgers led the nation in interceptions.

Last edited:
Thought I put this up some time ago.

Larry Makarevich won the first star on his helmet on September 25, 1960 at Princeton. The helmet sticker was the idea of Rutgers defensive coach Dwayne "Dewey" King. Makarevich was a substitute behind Rutgers All American Alex Kroll. He leaped up and picked off Princeton QB's Hugh Scott's pass in the final 70 second of the game to secure a Rutgers victory.

What happened to the helmet stickers and unit nicknames? Head coach John Bateman ended them before the 1968 season. “While looking good in print, these designations of teams brought upon an intra-squad rivalry that at times was demoralizing. Now instead of the offense winning a game, but the defense losing, or vice-versa, it will be the team that wins or loses. There are no designations now, and the stress is on team unity,” said the September 19, 1968 Targum.

Nobody outside this program knows we started the stickers...
And that is even disputed because a coach at Nebraska used them from 55-57. It probably would be impossible to find out who truly was the first because someone in a lower level might have been used prior to that.

And that is even disputed because a coach at Nebraska used them from 55-57. It probably would be impossible to find out who truly was the first because someone in a lower level might have been used prior to that.

Good point...there will always be disputes.. But if we do go the star sticker route, there will at least be an interesting story to go along with it and it won't be Ash bringing another idea completely from Ohio State.. Don't get me wrong, he can bring whatever he wants...this program needs these changes..it's needed this refinement for quite some time..but it would be a cool twist on him installing it.

As the person who had the responsibility to put the stars on our players helmets back in 1960/61 I can say it is all valid that Rutgers did it first. It's all documented in Coach Dewey King's book..Jericho, A System of Pass Defense. I misplaced my copy but I may have a copy of the pages that describe how he came to the decision to put stars on helmets for pass interceptions. In 1961 Rutgers led the nation in interceptions.

That's a pretty cool place in history you have! Would love to hear about how he came to that decision.

Thought I put this up some time ago.

Larry Makarevich won the first star on his helmet on September 25, 1960 at Princeton. The helmet sticker was the idea of Rutgers defensive coach Dwayne "Dewey" King. Makarevich was a substitute behind Rutgers All American Alex Kroll. He leaped up and picked off Princeton QB's Hugh Scott's pass in the final 70 second of the game to secure a Rutgers victory.

What happened to the helmet stickers and unit nicknames? Head coach John Bateman ended them before the 1968 season. “While looking good in print, these designations of teams brought upon an intra-squad rivalry that at times was demoralizing. Now instead of the offense winning a game, but the defense losing, or vice-versa, it will be the team that wins or loses. There are no designations now, and the stress is on team unity,” said the September 19, 1968 Targum.

Weekend of sept 25th Iowa comes to town and we celebrate the anniversary of the helmet sticker by bringing back the silver star! I'm all for it and it would be a great tradition to bring back.

GoodOl...if you are trying to be funny you are not. Great fan support? If this is all an excellent article about Rutgers can conjure then perhaps you would do well to change your team and also eliminate the word Rutgers from your handle. Sad to see.

Just curious here. I understand the helmet sticker bit, what interests me more is the zone defense and the man coverage of the DB's. Was Rutgers the first to revolutionize the coverage system in all of football, and it came out in that book? If that's the case that is extremely fascinating.

Swords for offensive plays
Shields for defensive plays
Horse head or joust for special teams plays.....
University seal for academic excellence.
Edit: Queen's College crown for community involvement.

But keep a limit to the total number.

I like it but I think it would be too busy. But I like it.

I believe Shea used sword stickers one year. Not sure though.
Agree..I recall this as well. And as noted under Schools that DQ'd use of them it says under Rutgers..Stars/Swords.

Hey, there's a rivalry idea. We can play Ohio State every year for a special helmet sticker....lol.

Last edited:
I would keep it to stars for INTs.
It's nice and simple.
And historically significant.

And you won't end up looking like a bowling ball with all those stickers.

Unless someone actually does get 100 INTs, which would also be cool.

Reactions: MikeRU09 and RU62
Stickers...........nah.

But, having read the recent history of Jericho stars.......... I would like to see the scoreboard flash a star on each interception.... maybe even get a "Jer-I-Cho" cheer from the crowd (of course, that's probably politically incorrect or something.......)...

I would keep it to stars for INTs.
It's nice and simple.
And historically significant.

And you won't end up looking like a bowling ball with all those stickers.

Unless someone actually does get 100 INTs, which would also be cool.

I think on defense a start for a sack or an interception. On offense a start for a TD.

GoodOl...if you are trying to be funny you are not. Great fan support? If this is all an excellent article about Rutgers can conjure then perhaps you would do well to change your team and also eliminate the word Rutgers from your handle. Sad to see.
lighten up... that was an objectively funny line. Besides, I give Bolin more credit than most.. I just think he needs to be more deceptive and also avoid throwing late down the middle.. pretty simple stuff. Do you disagree with that? I'll do you a favor though.. I won't shout "JERICHO" when he tosses the next one.

If your 2-11 with stickers all over your helmet - who gives a shit?

Nobody - they are laughing at you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT