ADVERTISEMENT

Help with parking - large group for MSU game

UMRU

All Conference
Sep 19, 2006
Hi folks, although I have parked in many lots over the years, I am not sure what the best solution might be for the MSU game.

I have rounded up a group of 31 for the game, many who have never been before. I want to make sure they have a great experience. I am not currently a season ticket holder and therefore have no parking.

The ticket office has offered the light blue lot or the RAC. Prices for parking in closer lots on StubHub and SeatGeek are expensive (Blue lot is $120, yellow is $400)

A few questions:
1) choosing between those lots (lt blue or the RAC), which is best for tailgating?
2) will dealing with the shuttle bus from the RAC with 31 people be OK?
3) how many parking passes should I get to have enough space?
4) since nearly everyone else will not have passes, how can they get to the parking lot? (nearly all are affiliated with Rutgers so they can park in non-football lots)

Thanks!

Reactions: RU848789
Those without parking passes could park in New Brunswick, or at a shopping center in Piscataway and Uber to the tailgate party. I believe they drop off at the roundabout on Campus Rd.

Hi folks, although I have parked in many lots over the years, I am not sure what the best solution might be for the MSU game.

I have rounded up a group of 31 for the game, many who have never been before. I want to make sure they have a great experience. I am not currently a season ticket holder and therefore have no parking.

The ticket office has offered the light blue lot or the RAC. Prices for parking in closer lots on StubHub and SeatGeek are expensive (Blue lot is $120, yellow is $400)

A few questions:
1) choosing between those lots (lt blue or the RAC), which is best for tailgating?
2) will dealing with the shuttle bus from the RAC with 31 people be OK?
3) how many parking passes should I get to have enough space?
4) since nearly everyone else will not have passes, how can they get to the parking lot? (nearly all are affiliated with Rutgers so they can park in non-football lots)

Thanks!
Like Skoolie said, best experience, buy two Blue lot passes. Have everyone else pay the $20 bucks(or whatever it is today) for RAC gameday parking. They can take the shuttle over and join you. Shuttles run all game day long.

Reactions: RU in IM
Like Skoolie said, best experience, buy two Blue lot passes. Have everyone else pay the $20 bucks(or whatever it is today) for RAC gameday parking. They can take the shuttle over and join you. Shuttles run all game day long.
My guys always use the shuttle from the RAC. It's a bit of a pain at the end of the game when everyone is leaving at the same time. But it's not a bad deal.

Reactions: koleszar
Agree with above. You and 1 other person buy a pass for yellow or blue. Everyone else go to Jersey Mikes and park for $20, or go to a parking lot on route 1 and uber/lyft to the stadium (probably similar price and risk of car getting towed). Then have them take the shuttle and meet you. Shuttle drops you off in the blue lot paved parking lot (behind the soccer stadium)

@RUskoolie has the knowledge here.

Fraternity does it every year, usually in Green.

I’d go for Blue or Yellow as he suggests because the grass (like Green) in those two make it feel more collegey IMO.

Spend the $$$ and get a few. Too bad this one isn’t a 3:30.

Reactions: BRKnightsFan
2 passes to squeeze in 31 people is too tight if you actually will be taking up only the space allotted. 3 will get it done. Blue will certainly suffice and easier to get.
You and whoever else has the 1-2 other passes are going to need to drive into the lot together to be parked next to each other.

2 passes to squeeze in 31 people is too tight if you actually will be taking up only the space allotted. 3 will get it done. Blue will certainly suffice and easier to get.
You and whoever else has the 1-2 other passes are going to need to drive into the lot together to be parked next to each other.
Thanks. I just got one blue from a friend. Now I just need to find a couple more

Thanks. I just got one blue from a friend. Now I just need to find a couple more
Instead of those that would have to park at the RAC consider Riverview Ave by the Greek Church. Pass the church and there are plenty of
homes that charge $20/25 and nobody has to take the shuttle. Close by, easy walk.

Reactions: ScarletDog and UMRU
Agreed. We have 12 people for 3 passes and it's not tight at all, but whenever we have several visitors it starts to get tighter (we all have chairs and there's a couple of tables and the grill, all of which add up) and 30+ would be tight for 3 passes IMO, unless people were all standing (and maybe if people got food at the Boardwalk to save space).

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You can find parking passes on stubhub usually. Green or blue are pretty short walk from Greek Church parking. Green is super close to stadium but much more mello than blue or yellow.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You could reserve a patio spot for the game at the Greek Church on River road and the others can park in one of the Greek lots or on lawns on riverside road. The patio gives you a full area to tailgate, then others can park in the close by spots. I think the churrch charges $40 game day, and I have seen other spots on riverside at $20-25. I do not know what game day on the patio, but it is a good alternative

Try the ticket exchange board - someone may be able to help you out.

The atmosphere in Purple and Black lots are solid as well. Both lots are paved and you can pick your own spot/save spots for a bit (at least in the Black).
Only issue with purple and black is it’s not conducive to checking out the Scarlet Walk or the boardwalk. It can be done but the distance/time is usually a barrier.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Agreed. We have 12 people for 3 passes and it's not tight at all, but whenever we have several visitors it starts to get tighter (we all have chairs and there's a couple of tables and the grill, all of which add up) and 30+ would be tight for 3 passes IMO, unless people were all standing (and maybe if people got food at the Boardwalk to save space).
Great point on the space from someone that’s experienced in a large tailgate! I was really meaning to say that 2 definitely isn’t going to cut it space wise. I misspoke to say definitively that 3 will get it done. If I had a group of 31 I’d come with probably 4-5 passes and I’d also ask the lot attendant if we could (pay to) park on either end of a row. In the past, they fulfilled my requests in yellow, I can’t speak to blue. $20-$40 tip helps.
I won’t repeat it but for those not parking with the tailgate, someone already mentioned the best close spaces to park for $20 cash each. Not part of the lots.
I hope the weather holds and you have a great time with your group UMRU!

Reactions: UMRU and RU848789
If the group doesn’t mind walking, there is a lot by the medical school on Busch that is game day parking (no pass required). It’s about 1 mile to the stadium and less than that to the blue lot. I think it’s super easy and you avoid the shuttles.

Reactions: UMRU and Scarlet16E
All depends what time everyone is getting there
For conveinance, and assuming it's not flooded, Johnson Park is the best bet
Have 2-3 cars get there at the same time
Those are the "home bases" for the tailgate crew
They have everything needed to tailgate
Park, set up, and when everyone else arrives, it's all set
Only downfall is it's first come, first serves, so when it's full, it's full

Does anyone know if the parking lots near the research towers off of Hoes lane are open during game days for free parking? These are lots many of us can normally park in since we work for RWJMS.

If the group doesn’t mind walking, there is a lot by the medical school on Busch that is game day parking (no pass required). It’s about 1 mile to the stadium and less than that to the blue lot. I think it’s super easy and you avoid the shuttles.
Wait, maybe this answers the question I just posted - are these the lots near the research towers and CABM?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT