ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Parking under pine trees

RUfinally2008

All American
Aug 20, 2005
Since we downsized I only have a 1 car garage. Every morning my car is incased in ice at 6:30am. Two weeks ago I parked in a 6 space public parking lot in front of a huge common area filled with pine trees so my son and grandkids could park on the driveway. I forgot to move my car and when I got up to leave the next day, everyone's cars were iced up big time. Mine looked like it was in a garage all night.This is my 5th winter here and never knew these trees retain so much heat.

Rally-car-crash-close-call-tree.gif

• Haha
Reactions: RUfinally2008
It is not the heat of the pine trees.

It is COVER.

Without cover.. deep space draws heat from everything it "sees". Everything radiates to infinity. You could have a layer of newspaper as a roof over your vehicle and the frost/ice would not be there. This is why one of the top things to do in a survival situation is to get cover.. like a lean-to.

Of course, where moisture is a factor, whatever the cover is would have to absorb it or shed it... like the pines probably absorb a lot of moisture that might want to settle on your vehicle.

Here's a page that answers a question as to why 2 cars, next to each other on the same icy cold night, one under a car port, handle a frost-producing night..

Radiate to infinity is how it came to be that ice cream was invented/discovered in Egypt.

It is not the heat of the pine trees.

It is COVER.

Without cover.. deep space draws heat from everything it "sees". Everything radiates to infinity. You could have a layer of newspaper as a roof over your vehicle and the frost/ice would not be there. This is why one of the top things to do in a survival situation is to get cover.. like a lean-to.

Of course, where moisture is a factor, whatever the cover is would have to absorb it or shed it... like the pines probably absorb a lot of moisture that might want to settle on your vehicle.

Here's a page that answers a question as to why 2 cars, next to each other on the same icy cold night, one under a car port, handle a frost-producing night..

Radiate to infinity is how it came to be that ice cream was invented/discovered in Egypt.
Thanks, those articles had some great information.My car is soon to be replaced,probably after this winter. It has been a great 4×4 with close to 150,000 miles. A 2008 Kia Sportage, so pine sap will be someone else's problem

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT