ADVERTISEMENT

2/6: BACATOLOGY SMORGASBOARD*****RU now a 6 seed as of 2/8

Seton Hall going down at Villanova. They need to go 3-2 minimum down the stretch to have a shot.

vs. Georgetown
@ UConn
vs. Xavier
vs. Villanova
@ Providence

Arizona down 10 (!) at Stanford late in the second half. That would be Oregon's big win getting cheapened.

Man Arizona State keeps walking the tightrope but surviving, first against Stanford now against Cal. They're still alive and finish the year with two Q2 and three Q1 games.

Off the cuff:

Last 8 In: West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Auburn, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Memphis, Texas A&M

First 8 Out: Wisconsin, Clemson, Mississippi State, Kentucky, New Mexico, USC, Seton Hall, Penn State

This is dinging New Mexico too much I think. Need to dive in deeper which I will on Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:
Off the cuff:

Last 8 In: West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Auburn, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Memphis, Texas A&M

First 8 Out: Wisconsin, Clemson, Mississippi State, Kentucky, New Mexico, USC, Seton Hall, Penn State

This is dinging New Mexico too much I think. Need to dive in deeper which I will on Monday or Tuesday.

Nevada has a way better profile than Boise

But pretty close to what I think

February 11, 2022: 22 teams listed in "Other At Larges" at Bracket Matrix, meaning they were listed in at least one bracket but were not in the composite field of 68.

February 11, 2023: 8 teams listed in "Other At Larges" at Bracket Matrix.

• Wow
Reactions: Scangg
I think going to awfully difficult for our neighbors SHU and PSU. After today not sure about Wiscy either. Will start to hear noise for Cincy and Miss State

The cuff is sometimes wrong. In this case very wrong. Swap them in my thoughts then, Nevada safely in and Boise State in the Last 8 In section.

But overall Mountain West had a bad week....but really everyone seemed to

Complete scrub time Monday

Reactions: kcg88
Kenpom likes Boise over Nevada.
bac is right, resume-wise it's Nevada

Nevada 3-4 Q1, 5-2 Q2, 11-0 Q3/4

Boise State 1-3 Q1, 6-1 Q2, 10-2 Q3/4 (one loss in each)

Two fewer Q1 wins, two more bad losses for Boise.

Off the cuff:

As I suggested a couple of weeks ago , the Big 12 is clearly the best conference and I thought they would get 8. They clearly are getting 8 in but because of the strength of their conference WVu is not in last 8 in and probably a 9 seed bordering on an 8 seed. OKla State’s recent winning streak and now knocking off the top of the conference vaults them to the 10 line or last 4 Byes and not in the First Four.

I have USC in and Oregon out for now but likely they and ASU are fighting for 4th bid out of the PAC 12 and not ruling out 5 teams just yet.
I have New Mexico in and Nevada in as the MWC is very strong this year and their metrics are great.

I think Texas Aand M is on a tremendous roll and will stay out of the First Four .
The Big East is only getting 5 and the Acc likely gets 6 with Clemson and Wake having work to do.

We are arguing the bubble is weak but what we are seeing is tremendous parity. The lower level of the Big 12 has now beaten the top half; the Sec has teams like Vandy beating Tennessee and Florida back to back. Missouri beating Tennessee ; Georgia beating Kentucky ; Nebraska beating Wisconsin and giving teams fits at home. Even teams like Boston College and Ga. Tech give competitive games to the top half of their conference ; as Stanford and Oregon had wins over top teams like Arizona in the PAC 12. There literally is very little separation between the teams 20-100. There are no great teams like we have seen in prior years and there are a lot of inconsistent teams that are good enough to beat anyone on top and then lose to a lower team in their conference.

Utah State loses at San Jose State and is no longer unblemished in Q2. They're in bad shape.

Arizona lose the one seed? UCLA take place? Texas?

I also am not a school of the week bubble talk. I’d argue it’s stronger than ever with all the parity out there. Can’t ignore last year 8th seed UNC coming within points of winning championship or two years ago UCLA as a play in game winner making the final four. Hard to not note Va Tech and Iowa coming out of nowhere last year to win the ACC and B1G respectively. Last year’s play in game with ND and RU was rated as best NCAA in the last ten years?

Parity doesn’t make bubble week, makes it more fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT