ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s a look at our Livingston Campus - home to the #1 public business school in the Tri-State area

The business building is awful, truly awful. Looks like it should be part of the old Tomorrowland in WDW (i.e., the past's vision of the future).
Looks great in person and bridges the RAC area to the rest of the campus. Distinctive but not out of place

Reactions: RUSK97
I have to admit,if it was up to me,all college buildings would be brick and ivy.That being said,a couple years ago,I took one of my nephews on a tour of the whole Piscataway New Brunswick campus.The business building ,inside and out,looks much better in person.Very comfortable feel about the place.My nephew said he would have gone to Rutgers if it was only Livingston.Once he saw College Avenue,we lost him.Too many kids,too crowded,the bus system and an urban environment turned him off. He ended up at Villanova.New Engineering Building looks better in person too,but I have not had a chance to see any of the inside.

Once he saw College Avenue,we lost him.Too many kids,too crowded,the bus system and an urban environment turned him off.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Often times the sentiment has been, and even in current times would still be, the exact opposite of your nephew in the CA-Livingston scenario you described.

Rutgers NB/P certainly isn't going to be for everyone but its multiple diverse (urban/suburban) campus types and surroundings could appeal to many in the middle of the spectrum because it's got something for almost everyone (bus transportation between campuses notwithstanding). While many millennials seem to fancy themselves as urbanites, it's no secret that there are still many rural or suburban kids (maybe even urban ones looking for something quieter) that aren't interested in a quasi-urban environment for college, let alone an ultra-urban/big city (e.g. NYU, BU, Temple, etc) environment. And yet for some others, it's just the opposite.

Last edited:
The above got me thinking in terms of among some public universities with large enrollments, some highly desirable schools with smallish campuses in terms of land area can feel like an absolute zoo compared to any of Rutgers' campuses in NB/P, even smack in the middle of the College Ave Campus between midday classes.

A flagship campus such as UT-Austin has a total enrollment about 10--20% larger occupying only a 300-acre urbanish campus (say about double the size of CAC). That place feels like you're amongst thousands of crawling ants between midday classes. At Rutgers NB/P, a relatively smaller total number of students are at least clustered among four/five separate campus activity hubs (across an overall campus size that's about 8X larger in aggregate at 2,600+ acres). The 'population density' differential should make it "feel" less crowded anywhere at Rutgers, even on the College Ave campus, than on UT-Austin's campus. As another personal example, UC Berkeley has also felt much more crowded when I've been on that campus in the past.

Reactions: Korbermeister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT