ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights of RU MLAX Commit

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Demetrius Stevenson. I believe one of our board members coached him at the club level.

His highlights are interesting. The competition looks pretty weak, and he won't be able to get away with some of this stuff at the D1 level where athletes are bigger and stronger, but there is no question he can bring it shooting the ball. Will be interesting to see how this all translates. He is a man child at this level.

Is there a good resource/list with writeup about our incoming recruits?

I found this list on-line:

RUTGERS SCARLET KNIGHTS
+^David Sprock, M, Dallas Jesuit (Tex.) / Iron Horse
Matt Dancscecs, M, Roxbury (N.J.) / Blue Star
Tommy Coyne, A, Naperville Central (Ill.) / True
Andrew Martinez, M, Trinity-Pawling (N.Y.) / Prime Time
Jonathan Taub, D, Watchung Hills (N.J.) / 2 Knights
Cole Daninger, M, O’Dea (Wash.) / Seattle Starz, WC Starz
Jack Stahancyzk, LSM/D, Archbishop Moeller (Oh.) / Crusaders
Joe Peterson, M, Monte Vista (Calif.) / 3d NorCal, Blue Chip National
Demetrius Stevenson, M, Caesar Rodney (Del.) / NJLC
Ethan Rall, LSM, Islip (N.Y.) / Team 91
Brad Thompson, A, Charlotte Catholic (N.C.) / Team Carolina
^Mike Ott, FO/M, Central Bucks East (Pa.) / Big 4 HHH
^Bobby Russo, D, Bridgewater-Raritan (N.J.) / 2 Knights

Also, Inside Lacrosse has their list:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/college/team/Rutgers/17/18

But I could not find a summary or writeup. Obviously, Coyne is already playing and looks like he will be a player. I think Peterson also enrolled early. I was more looking for an analysis of the class and what to expect. I am not sure if that even exists.

Thanks.

I hope those clubs listed are summer clubs. I'm a firm believer in multiple sports, and hope they're playing football or soccer in the fall and perhaps even hockey in the winter.

Stevenson has a shot for sure, but he's going to get knocked on his ass a few times while adjusting to D1 lacrosse. Hell, he'd even be getting knocked on his ass in HS the way they called the game 20 years ago. What are his stats? About 6'2" - 205 lbs?

Edited to add: I see at the IL site they say 6'2 - 230. I could see 210-215, but 230 looks like program weight to me.

I hope those clubs listed are summer clubs. I'm a firm believer in multiple sports, and hope they're playing football or soccer in the fall and perhaps even hockey in the winter.

Stevenson has a shot for sure, but he's going to get knocked on his ass a few times while adjusting to D1 lacrosse. Hell, he'd even be getting knocked on his ass in HS the way they called the game 20 years ago. What are his stats? About 6'2" - 205 lbs?

Edited to add: I see at the IL site they say 6'2 - 230. I could see 210-215, but 230 looks like program weight to me.
Yeah definitely agree on being a multisport athlete, especially for lax. Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, even wrestling have skills that easily translate to lax in the spring.

Last edited:
Is there a good resource/list with writeup about our incoming recruits?

I found this list on-line:

RUTGERS SCARLET KNIGHTS
+^
David Sprock, M, Dallas Jesuit (Tex.) / Iron Horse
Matt Dancscecs, M, Roxbury (N.J.) / Blue Star
Tommy Coyne, A, Naperville Central (Ill.) / True
Andrew Martinez, M, Trinity-Pawling (N.Y.) / Prime Time
Jonathan Taub, D, Watchung Hills (N.J.) / 2 Knights
Cole Daninger, M, O’Dea (Wash.) / Seattle Starz, WC Starz
Jack Stahancyzk, LSM/D, Archbishop Moeller (Oh.) / Crusaders
Joe Peterson, M, Monte Vista (Calif.) / 3d NorCal, Blue Chip National
Demetrius Stevenson, M, Caesar Rodney (Del.) / NJLC
Ethan Rall, LSM, Islip (N.Y.) / Team 91
Brad Thompson, A, Charlotte Catholic (N.C.) / Team Carolina
^Mike Ott, FO/M, Central Bucks East (Pa.) / Big 4 HHH
^Bobby Russo, D, Bridgewater-Raritan (N.J.) / 2 Knights

Also, Inside Lacrosse has their list:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/college/team/Rutgers/17/18

But I could not find a summary or writeup. Obviously, Coyne is already playing and looks like he will be a player. I think Peterson also enrolled early. I was more looking for an analysis of the class and what to expect. I am not sure if that even exists.

Thanks.

From what I've seen on tape, there isn't one stretch in this class.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Cali what do you mean there isn't one stretch? Do you mean they are all excellent players?

You never know how a high school kid is going to translate. Recruiting is a crap shoot considering all that these kids have to deal with when going to college. High school ball and college ball/life are miles a part from each other.

But their films all look legit. I see speed, size, aggression and play making. There wasn't one kid's film I've looked and not seen what the staff is seeing.

I haven't met any of these kids yet, but I am guessing they are similar to the kids already in the program that Coach Brecht has recruited- all good kids. Every single one that I have met or interact with.

But on the field, every one of them pops at the high school level. It's a good launching point.

It should be noted that Peterson and obviously Coyne are already in the program. I wouldn't be shocked if Peterson sees time next year immediately. He was very close to playing this year. The one thing we haven't had an abundance of are that big, fast, downhill dodging midfielders that the acc used to be known for. These next couple of classes are going to change that.

The kid from Texas, Almand, who is in the 19 class, may wind up being the highest ranked recruit we have landed to date. He is getting a lot of hype.

Here is is tape, which is a year old. He's bigger and faster now. One to keep an eye on for sure. Was a Furman verbal before we flipped him.

Last edited:
Cali, how close was Attanasio to seeing the field? I've watched a lot of Bridgewater-Raritan lax and he's as talented as they come.

I love that lax recruiting doesn’t have the infrastructure of football/basketball/baseball and total studs live everywhere and can be found by any staff willing to do the work. Yeah there is the club circuit and the best play there but the fact that a school like Leihigh can field such a competitive team in today’s BIG $ collects sports environment is awesome. Just sucks when RU can’t make it to the dance...

Interesting to see the high school facilities in that tape of Almand in comparison to Stevenson's. Things are different in Texas.

In Ca. too. There are high schools out here that have better facilities than some D1 lacrosse teams. It's crazy.

I love that lax recruiting doesn’t have the infrastructure of football/basketball/baseball and total studs live everywhere and can be found by any staff willing to do the work. Yeah there is the club circuit and the best play there but the fact that a school like Leihigh can field such a competitive team in today’s BIG $ collects sports environment is awesome. Just sucks when RU can’t make it to the dance...

Yea, lacrosse recruiting is a very inexact science. The amount of resources being directed pale in comparison to d1 hoops and basketball. I am not even sure the guys ranking these kids played lacrosse. And it's not many of them.

The money issue is going to be a problem for schools like Lehigh. As more investment goes into B1G lacrosse teams, the gap will start to grow wider. Michigan, in less than 7 years of going D1, already have the best facilities in the country. B1G teams are going to continue investing in ways that other schools like Lehigh simply won't be able to.

Good news for them though is there are a lot of great lacrosse players. The sport is growing by leaps and bounds, and the amount of colleges sponsoring the sport is not growing at any real pace.

I could be mistaken, but Lehigh’s wrestling program and (perhaps) football program, are fully funded by endowments. Wouldn’t be surprised if lacrosse, too. Lots of happy alumni with deep pockets who give in big ways.

I could be mistaken, but Lehigh’s wrestling program and (perhaps) football program, are fully funded by endowments. Wouldn’t be surprised if lacrosse, too. Lots of happy alumni with deep pockets who give in big ways.

Yes and no. My guess is that Lehigh would play in the football stadium so that's not an issue. And alums can cover assistant coaches salaries and travel expenses. However practice fields, weight training facilities and nutrition programs are generally beyond what alumni can provide.

That's a great thing, but it isn't sustainable. I know Hopkins has these same concerns, and they have much deeper pocketed alums.

The problem is the football playing schools like OSU and Michigan have yearly rev rakes that allow them to support programs like lacrosse in a tremendous way. Hopkins, and other non P5 schools and even non B1G schools, have to fundraise and tap alums to keep pace. That's a tall order to continuously have to do. After our facility gets done, Hopkins will have the worst facilities in the conference. That's unthinkable of a Hopkins program 10 years ago.

As a Loyola guy, i worry about the Michigan's and other big money programs getting into lacrosse. Loyola has good facilities and lacrosse is #1 at the school, so maybe carving out a niche in the same way Villanova has in basketball, but i fear the day that USC and Florida and other sexy schools add mens lacrosse.

It's a real concern if you are a smaller school. Loyola has perfectly fine facilities right now. A great staff, recruiting is going well, and I am sure adequate support. But that doesn't just need to be sustained, it needs to be built upon. That's what these B1G schools are going to continuously do, as will other similar conference schools. Can schools like Loyola keep pace?

That's going to be the trick. I think it's possible for the foreseeable future, The growth of the game at the youth levels is far outpacing colleges. There are lots of players available. How long will this be the case is the question.

Btw, looking forward to playing your squad next year. Loyola is going to be legit NC contender.

As a Loyola guy, i worry about the Michigan's and other big money programs getting into lacrosse. Loyola has good facilities and lacrosse is #1 at the school, so maybe carving out a niche in the same way Villanova has in basketball, but i fear the day that USC and Florida and other sexy schools add mens lacrosse.

As long as there is Title IX, and there always will be, the chances of lacrosse spreading to SEC and most Pac-12 schools is relatively low. You may get a Stanford or USC with enough alumni money and minor women's sports to do so, but they will be the exception rather than the rule. Look at the number of sports Florida has and you will see they're not a threat.

And Caliknight has a point with respect to talent. Making a comparison to when I was starting college, the number of D1 programs has gone up by around 33%. Title IX and budgets mean that more non-football schools have added programs but football schools at best have remained equal. Michigan and Notre Dame have gone D1, but Boston College, UConn, New Hampshire (which actually made the 8 team D1 tournament in the late 70s), and NC State all had D1 programs and dropped them. Then consider the talent coming out of high schools. In 1971 New Jersey had roughly 35 HS teams, and 1/3 were prep schools. Pennsylvania had roughly 30 programs that were 50% private schools . In most states high school lacrosse didn't exist or were strictly clubs. Now, between NJ and Pa alone there are over 350 programs. So you have 6X the talent pool available for 1.33X the number of programs.

I wouldn't be so sure. It's not going to happen tomorrow, but the groundswell building for schools to add lacrosse continues to grow. OSU has more sports than Florida and they have lacrosse. Same with PSU.

I fully expect that in 10-20 years, there will be more additions at the P5 level. Utah adding was key to help it grow in the west. Colorado seems like another high potential school. Big participation at the youth/high school level, and a thriving club scene.

In Ca., I think Stanford and USC are obvious options. USC is very happy to have added women's lacrosse, considering their immediate success.

Lastly, I won't be surprised in the least to see changes made to Title 9. My guess is there is a football carve out of some kind.

I think you misunderstood me. OSU and PSU have a lot of teams, especially a lot of woman's teams (Synchronized swimming at OSU?) that allow them to comply with Title IX. Compare that with Arizona St., which complies by having only 9 men's teams and 15 woman's teams. They don't even have a men's soccer team.

I wish I could agree with you about Title IX but I can't. It would create a firestorm politically. In particular the argument would go that there are alternative ways besides pure numbers to be compliant within the statute. In the real world, however, nobody uses them because one crank lawsuit would create legal fees equal to funding for the sports team that is trying to be created.

He was on my NJLC 2018 team last summer. Great kid. And he is every bit of 230. Tremendous academic kid also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT