ADVERTISEMENT

Hint from Carino: Gavitt Games Opponent / Support Jerry and APP

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Jerry Carino earlier today tweeted that UConn may be our Gavitt Games opponent.

Also more importantly, please do what you can to support Jerry and the Asbury Park Press etc on this difficult time for everyone. Give him clicks; subscribe etc. He’s a treasure. Best and most informative and most friendly local BB journalist by far.

Interesting. UConn is only Big East team not to play in big 12 challenge this year. Thought they’d get a Gavitt game. Well at least BE appears to be shafting it’s new member. Lol

Well if not UConn then bring on Nova!

Nova is now rumored as opponent by jame kratch reporter. hard to see that but could you imagine playing Nova and Baylor in span of two weeks? Likely two of the top five pre season ranked teams. Wow! What an opportunity for RU!
Where did you see this. I can’t find any tweet of his alluding so

I would like to play UConn because now that we playing Baylor and our schedule is hard enough. I hope we don’t get Nova/Creighton/Butler/Marquette especially if we are away.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Interesting. UConn is only Big East team not to play in big 12 challenge this year. Thought they’d get a Gavitt game. Well at least BE appears to be shafting it’s new member. Lol

Well if not UConn then bring on Nova.
Going from a very easy out of conference schedule to playing highly rated teams away from the RAC has positive impact for Rutgers if they show marked improvement in winning on the road. The favorable comments regarding Rutgers was based primarily on the astounding home record.Winning on the road is difficult for the best of teams as seen in B1G games last season.

Reactions: biazza38
Originally The Gavitt games and the BIG TEN-ACC Challenge I thought were supposed to pair off teams rated about the same. We were paired off twice with St. John's once away & once at home. We also played Depaul on the road. Those seemed like good pairings but we have been on the road 2 out of 3 times in the Gavitt games. Now the rumor is we might have to play at Villanova which is the highest or second highest team in the Big East on the road. We are only picked anywhere from 4th to 7th in the BIg. It seems if this is true we will have been on the road 3 out of 4 times in the Gavitt games and would be paired off with a team possibly in the top 5 of the country. It is great for our strength of schedule but we still might not be getting treated as fairly as many others.
As for the BIG-ACC Challenge. we have already been on the road 4 out of 6 times and for the last 2 years. We have been on the road at Clemson, Miami (twice) and Pittsburgh. The last 2 years we have been at Miami and Pittsburgh. We should get two consecutive home games to even up the injustice. It would be nice to get Syracuse at home or Louisvile at home or Notre Dame at home. Those are all teams that we use to face in the Big East.

20 Big Ten games, only 9 at home (giving up home game vs top team MSU to play at the Garden), #1 Baylor at the Garden, at #5 Villanova, at Seton Hall, and Syracuse ?? Holy cow, we are going for the Indiana/Purdue strategy of backing into the NCAAs just by showing up and playing the games

I hope our players are really working on their games and conditioning - bc that schedule is a mountain.

RU definitely should get a home game for the BE challenge. And I think that ESPN would love to come to the RAC because of the exciting atmosphere.

And just out of fairness - 3 out of 4 on the road is just not fair.

When you are a good team, you SHOULD play a schedule like we will have this year. Hopefully we will keep getting better every year with new talent and be able to play this type of schedule year in and year out.

Best of Luck,
Groz
I knew you’d be happy with the ooc schedule. Hope all is well !

I knew you’d be happy with the ooc schedule. Hope all is well !

Hope you are well also, Phil. Not that anyone cares about rankings, but if you play some extra tough(doesn't have to be all of course) out of conference games, then even if you lose a couple, but win a couple, you will still be recognized across the country as a good team.

With a schedule overall like last year, you do not have much margin for error and MUST win every home game to make the NCAA. We would have made it this past year, but as I keep mentioning, playing tougher schools attract the better recruits to come and play for us in the future.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: BigEastPhil
20 Big Ten games, only 9 at home (giving up home game vs top team MSU to play at the Garden), #1 Baylor at the Garden, at #5 Villanova, at Seton Hall, and Syracuse ?? Holy cow, we are going for the Indiana/Purdue strategy of backing into the NCAAs just by showing up and playing the games
We don't know if we're playing Nova and if so at their place. Next, unlike Indiana/Purdue, we have more seasoned players returning to deal with this challenge. The program is at a point where it can step up to meet the challenge of being a solid program.

I don't think Rutgers is trying to back into the NCAAs. Rutgers goes from having a suspect non-conference schedule to a strong one and people still have a problem with it... what gives?

We don't know if we're playing Nova and if so at their place. Next, unlike Indiana/Purdue, we have more seasoned players returning to deal with this challenge. The program is at a point where it can step up to meet the challenge of being a solid program.

I don't think Rutgers is trying to back into the NCAAs. Rutgers goes from having a suspect non-conference schedule to a strong one and people still have a problem with it... what gives?

Most indicators are pointing to a road game at Nova...obviously not confirmed, but pretty solid info circulating that's what it will be.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Most indicators are pointing to a road game at Nova...obviously not confirmed, but pretty solid info circulating that's what it will be.
What's the source? Just a few weeks ago, it was UCONN until the Big East confirmed UCONN would not be involved. Then it was Syracuse and now people are saying it's Nova.

What's the source? Just a few weeks ago, it was UCONN until the Big East confirmed UCONN would not be involved. Then it was Syracuse and now people are saying it's Nova.

Syracuse isn’t in the Big East, ACC

After having to endure years of us being a major state university in a state with tons of basketball talent stuck in a conference with Duquesne, George Washington, Rhode Island, etc., I still can’t believe we are in the Big Ten some days.

The B1G played 20 game seasons. Our strength of schedule or OOC schedule was never a factor at all last year.
This schedule is now extremely difficult and perhaps the most difficult in the country. All you schedule whiners and it looks like all the new difficult games will be neutral site or away in any event. Be careful what you wish for!!!

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
The B1G played 20 game seasons. Our strength of schedule or OOC schedule was never a factor at all last year.
This schedule is now extremely difficult and perhaps the most difficult in the country. All you schedule whiners and it looks like all the new difficult games will be neutral site or away in any event. Be careful what you wish for!!!
Some of our fans will never be satisfied. If Rutgers struggles, those same people will be critical of Pike and the program. Damn if you do and damn if you don't.

I have faith in this team regardless. I love wearing the scarlet-colored glasses.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Some of our fans will never be satisfied. If Rutgers struggles, those same people will be critical of Pike and the program. Damn if you do and damn if you don't.

I have faith in this team regardless. I love wearing the scarlet-colored glasses.
No one who has been a long time fan should complain about stepping up our schedule. It means we are a good team bordering on becoming a solid program prepared for all comers. Certain times last year, at the RAC we humbled Seton Hall, Maryland and Illinois all highly ranked teams and on those days, we would have beaten any team in the country leading by 20 points at times . That team and this year’s team will be as good but probably better and are ready for all comers . We have arrived and will be ranked and Pike has built it. For those like me, this is the way it was back in the late 70’s and early 80’s and foolishly I thought it would continue forever. I am still pissed we got upset by St. John’s in Greensboro and missed a chance to play in a second Final Four with Bird and Magic . The way you get national respect and not just local respect is to play the top teams , like ours, win some lose some but are competitive. That is where we are and I have never been more optimistic about a Rutgers team in a long time .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT