ADVERTISEMENT

Hint from Carino: Gavitt Games Opponent / Support Jerry and APP

The B1G played 20 game seasons. Our strength of schedule or OOC schedule was never a factor at all last year.
This schedule is now extremely difficult and perhaps the most difficult in the country. All you schedule whiners and it looks like all the new difficult games will be neutral site or away in any event. Be careful what you wish for!!!
When you’re projected to be a top 25 squad, you need to schedule as such and upgrade the schedule. Enjoy the opportunities to play highly ranked Baylor and others. It’s a long time coming!

Schedule is perfect and I trust Pike and Hobbs knowledge of the situation

Also Seton Hall had as tough as a OOC Schedule as can be last year and it didn’t hurt them at all.

Enjoy the challenge - win or lose - as these type of games toughen the team up for March Madness - something we unfortunately couldn’t enjoy this year

Plus understand the enormity of the exposure of these games and it’s benefit for recruiting etc down the road.

Schedule is a win- win.

You are right Phil. It is funny that the SHU fans who have been bashing our OOC schedule are not here now. Willard's first few years his schedules might have been even easier OOC than ours were the last few years. Pikiell began with a team ranked # 279 in the country in 2016 which was much lower ranked than what Willard had when he was hired. SHU fans were saying for several years that they shouldn't even be playing us because we would hurt their strength of schedule. They were acting like they were so superior to RU and were so above us. Now things just might have changed.

What's the source? Just a few weeks ago, it was UCONN until the Big East confirmed UCONN would not be involved. Then it was Syracuse and now people are saying it's Nova.

UConn is not eligible for Gavitt, per their agreement to rejoin the Big East....They are also not eligible for the Big East vs Big 12 matchups that both leagues started a couple of years ago.

Nova on the road comes from a very reliable source, enough for me to post it or confirm that it's likely where James Kratch of NJ.com got it as well.

I have no idea about who the ACC B1G matchup is, other than RU should be at home. My guess is it will be a NCAA caliber program out of the ACC.

UConn is not eligible for Gavitt, per their agreement to rejoin the Big East....They are also not eligible for the Big East vs Big 12 matchups that both leagues started a couple of years ago.

Nova on the road comes from a very reliable source, enough for me to post it or confirm that it's likely where James Kratch of NJ.com got it as well.

I have no idea about who the ACC B1G matchup is, other than RU should be at home. My guess is it will be a NCAA caliber program out of the ACC.
I thought Providence would be a good match up since they are expected to be 4th in the Big East. That's about where we should be in the B1G to start the season.

Reactions: shields
Providence would be good.

I'd rather not play PC in the challenge. They were the kind of sticky team that gave their opponents fits, kinda like us in that regard. But they were also quite good overall on the road. PC was never really considered to be much of a rival during our days in the BE.

Georgetown would be my preference, at the RAC of course to even out our home-away situation in that challenge. We have a long history of rivalry with Georgetown going back to the 1960s when we played them at the Barn in 1966 during the first part of what would be RU's first ever post season tournament year.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Hawk, how long is UConn banned for basketball. By the way, their football program is permanently banned from Bowl games !:)

Per Zags today: The 3 Big East Teams not playing in Gavitt Games next season:

- UConn
- Seton Hall
- Depaul
Per Zags, the 8 B1G 10 squads in the Gavitt Games are:

Rutgers
Maryland
Indiana
Mich State
Iowa
Purdue
Wisconsin
Illinois

Strong field. Given Iowa, Mich State and Wisconsin are in field, I cannot see us matched against Nova. The networks will want Nova vs Iowa or Sparty along with highly ranked Creighton. I see us playing at Providence though playing at Hinkle vs Butler would be cool.

Rutgers
Maryland
Indiana
Mich State
Iowa
Purdue
Wisconsin
Illinois

Strong field. Given Iowa, Mich State and Wisconsin are in field, I cannot see us matched against Nova. The networks will want Nova vs Iowa or Sparty along with highly ranked Creighton. I see us playing at Providence though playing at Hinkle vs Butler would be cool.
My guesses for Gavitt:

Maryland vs GTown
Rutgers vs Providence
Iowa vs Villanova
Mich State vs Creighton
Indiana vs Xavier
Illinois vs Marquette
Wisconsin vs Butler
Purdue vs St Johns

Last edited:

Rutgers
Maryland
Indiana
Mich State
Iowa
Purdue
Wisconsin
Illinois

That's what I've been thinking all along.

Hawk, how long is UConn banned for basketball. By the way, their football program is permanently banned from Bowl games !:)

I wouldn't call it a banning, just what they agreed to upon rejoining the league. Football is a whole other story, i don't imagine we'll see UConn in a meaningful football game anytime soon.

My guesses for Gavitt:

Maryland vs GTown
Rutgers vs Providence
Iowa vs Villanova
Mich State vs Creighton
Indiana vs Xavier
Illinois vs Marquette
Wisconsin vs Butler
Purdue vs St Johns

I think we need to get the home teams to nail down what the matchups should be. The only ones that I think we know, is RU on the road, based on having a home game vs St Johns in our last Gavitt game matchup.

Michigan State hasn't been in the Gavitt games most years, my guess is they're on the road (Izzo enjoys early road challenges) I would assume Wisconsin Maryland and RU are also on the road with Indiana, Purdue, Iowa and Illinois at home.....keep in mind the B1G has more schedule flexibility with programs that control and own their home arenas, where some Big East teams do not. There are discussions about having Big East teams not playing games at their normal NBA/NHL arenas, due to cost concerns etc.

Here's my guesstimate.

Maryland at Georgetown
Rutgers at Villanova
Wisconsin at Creighton
Mich State at Marquette
Xavier at Indiana
Providence at Illinois
Butler at Iowa
St Johns at Purdue

If Hauser is eligible for Sparty, a return trip to Marquette would be "interesting "...

Why only 8 games when the B!G has 14 teams and the BE has 11. Why not 11 games, easier to rotate with 8?

Rutgers is getting royally screwed again in Gavitt games. We've played away games at DePaul and St. John's. Although we played St. John's at home, why are we forced to play another road game? The Big East MUST be bitter when it comes to Rutgers. They always tried to show we had no value until the B1G's new TV deal became public. The Big East feels the need to take swipes at Rutgers any chance the get because they are pissed.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
We are at home vs the ACC team and we played at home 2 years ago vs St Johns, I don't see the complaints about being on the road vs a Big East team. The #1 complaint was lack of challenging games on the road, this eliminated any issues anyone can have on RU this season.

Baylor MSG
Michigan State MSG
At Seton Hall
At Villanova
At UMass (supposedly still intact)

I hope it’s Providence. It brings back memories of Lamizana’s desperation 3 that beat them at the RAC in 2004.

I leaped out of my aisle seat and landed on my badly turned ankle in excruciating pain. My friend said I fell to the floor like I had been shot. My scream was drowned out by the hysterical crowd, whose presence also prevented me from rolling down the steps and into the Friars’ bench (and possibly ESPN’s Sports Center). I couldn’t walk for days but it was worth it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
We are at home vs the ACC team and we played at home 2 years ago vs St Johns, I don't see the complaints about being on the road vs a Big East team. The #1 complaint was lack of challenging games on the road, this eliminated any issues anyone can have on RU this season.

Baylor MSG
Michigan State MSG
At Seton Hall
At Villanova
At UMass (supposedly still intact)
I don't think it was a lack of challenging road games because the B1G does that for us. I think it was a lack of challenging non-conference games which we now have with Baylor, the ACC challenge, and the Big East on top of the annual Seton Hall game. Rutgers has played three away and three home games in the B1G/ACC Challenge. That's how it should work. Why is Rutgers forced to go on the road for the third time in four games?

Playing Baylor, and Seton Hall on the road along with Michigan State (neutral site) eliminates any issues anyone may have with Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT