ADVERTISEMENT

History of the namesake of the Bednarik Award

fg7321

All Conference
Nov 29, 2009
Very cool Facebook group🇺🇲WWII uncovered they always have interesting famous people who served during WW2.

Chuck Bednarik of the 467th Bombardment Group Eighth Air Force: Pro Football Hall of Fame Legend

According to the Pro Football Hall of Fame: Philadelphia Eagles legend Chuck "Concrete Charlie" Bednarik a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame had an illustrious career as a two-way player for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1949 to 1962.

"I'm proud to be an American, home of the free," says Bednarik, who had a long and decorated career in the Army. "This is the greatest place on Earth."

The Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, native was drafted into the Army at 18, and then sent to gunnery school in the midst of World War II. Bednarik served with the 467th Bomb Group in the Eighth Air Force, flying 30 missions over Germany in a B-24 Liberation Bomber and was decorated with the Air Medal, four Oak Leaf Clusters and the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Ribbon, with five Battle Stars.

"Well, you learn a lot when you are in that situation. You're being shot at. I was just a kid. I had to learn how to survive and to work with my team," he said. "We did that. We survived. It was brutal. I'm thankful to be here to enjoy my life." - Pro Football Hall of Fame

Bednarik attended gunnery training at Tyndall Field, Florida. After two months, he went to the European Theater of Operations as a member of the 467th Bombardment Group, also known as the “Rackheath Aggies.”

He traveled straight across the English Channel to France to support the Allied troops on the ground. One mission that stood out among the rest was one directly over Berlin that required the whole 8th Air Force. Between 1,500 and 2,000 bombers flew over the capital city strategically to take out key industrial targets such as tank manufacturers, oil fields, and gasoline production.

In a Veterans Administration interview Bednarik recounted that his scariest mission followed a push made by the 3rd Army into Saint LĂ´, France, by General George Patton. Patton pushed the enemy back, but he ran out of gas. Bednarik and his unit of B-24 Liberators had to deliver fuel for 500 tanks, which were 10 miles behind the enemy lines." (VAntage Point January 5, 2020)

"Bednarik was a two-time All-American at Penn, finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting as a senior, was All-Pro for his first eight years in the NFL (seven times as a linebacker), and played in eight of the 11 Pro Bowls held during his 14-year NFL career. Each season the top defensive player in college football receives the Bednarik Award."

"When I came back, I went to Butler and said, "Coach, I want to go to college. … Where should I go?"' recalled Bednarik, who wanted to take advantage of the G.I. Bill, which guaranteed that the government would pay college expenses for returning veterans. "He immediately said, "The University of Pennsylvania,' and I had to ask, "Where is it?"'

Butler sent him to Philadelphia to meet Quakers coach George Monger, who immediately embraced the 19-year-old, who had grown two inches and gained 45 pounds over his two years of military service. Chuck was discharged from the military on October 11, 1945; he enrolled at Penn on November 1, and played the last four games of the 1945 season.

"The Quakers won 21 of 28 games Bednarik played in during his four years, competing against one of the toughest schedules in the country. Chuck played a franchise-record 14 seasons with the Eagles from 1949-1962 and was part of two NFL championship squads, in 1949 and in 1960." (Source: The Morning Call Newspaper March 23, 2015 Byline: Jeff Schuler)

Chuck Bednarik passed away on March 21, 2015 at the age of 89. He lies in rest at Saint Joseph Calvary Cemetery in Limeport Pennsylvania. At the time of his passing he was survived by his wife of 67 years, Emma; five daughters: Charlene Thomas, Donna Davis, Carol Safarowic, Pam McWilliams, and Jackie Chelius; 10 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Lest We Forget.

Reactions: TM94goRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT