ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbs to Look at Football Game Day Experience

Free WiFi is a must anymore. Social media would be on fire before, during, and after games. This should be priority one.
The stadium needs facility-wide speakers, not just in the scoreboard. Also, gotta cut the dumb announcements in half. Lastly, get rid of the DJ.
I've been posting for years now that we need stadium WiFi, distributed sound system (tons of little speakers everywhere) & another giant videoboard over the North entrance. All cost a ton of $ but would be the best enhancements & should be our top 3 priorities.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Number 1 should be get the student into the in time and fill up the entire section. I don't have an answer how to but I'll leave that in Hobbs' capable hands.

Number 1 should be get the student into the in time and fill up the entire section. I don't have an answer how to but I'll leave that in Hobbs' capable hands.
Playing HOME conference games at Yankee Stadium is not IMO an "Allstate" move.

Fix the band.

So tired of this shtick. Either donate $$ to the band fund or STFU.

In case you'd like to know I donated 250 to the new uniforms fund for the band last year. What have you and your fellow malcontents donated besides repeated pissing and moaning posts on a message board ?

Very sad.

Reactions: tico brown
By fix if you mean make bigger...agree. Musically they sound more than fine. Just need more of them. A B1G amount more of them.

Already beer available in spots outside and inside the Stadium. Soon to be more whenever the luxury boxes go in.

Decent size. They sound fine, just need more of them.

Since River Road is a County road not sure if we have the authority to do it but I would love for Rutgers, Middlesex County and Piscataway to be on the same page and close it to commercial and non-game going traffic from the either Rte 18 or Landing Lane on one side and Hoes Lane on the other.

And Shack is right...we have it pretty good already, just need a few tweaks.

See above.

See above.

Stuff like that should ALWAYS be done at a college game.

They should auction off a Grease Truck medallion (like they do for Taxis in NYC) and have the winner INSIDE (where the cannon was erroneously placed after the addition) the Stadium for the season or week to week...along with your idea of having them along Sutphen.

And keep the Alma Mater after the game...the CORRECT Alma Mater.

The cop thing is because in Rutgers estimate, they don't have enough of their own to do the job they way they feel needs to be done.

I have said numerous times how I feel about the amount of Middlesex County Sheriffs Deputies we see on game-day but they are the closest with the most-est.

E5fdny

River road

Send me a message and we can talk off line

Last edited:
Let's add some technology to the game. Make up a special gameday app that works off of wi-fi and only in or around the stadium. The app would show such things as current game stats, scores of other current or previously played B1G game (or all conferences), video playback of the last play, and rosters. As someone mentioned in a previous message, food and beverages could be ordered and paid for with the app. If we really want to be futuristic we could have the food and beverages delivered to your seat by way of drones.

So tired of this shtick. Either donate $$ to the band fund or STFU.

In case you'd like to know I donated 250 to the new uniforms fund for the band last year. What have you and your fellow malcontents donated besides repeated pissing and moaning posts on a message board ?

Very sad.
$ isn't gonna get rid of Tim Smith and nothing changes without him gone.

Let's bring the team out to Born to Run by Bruce for some NJ flavor. Also let's be sure the team are on the field for the National Anthem. If it's good enough for pro football, baseball and basketball it should be sufficient for Rutgers athletics and football games. The hyped up entry can be before this. I believe GS was the one who chsnged this around.

Let's add some technology to the game. Make up a special gameday app that works off of wi-fi and only in or around the stadium. The app would show such things as current game stats, scores of other current or previously played B1G game (or all conferences), video playback of the last play, and rosters. As someone mentioned in a previous message, food and beverages could be ordered and paid for with the app. If we really want to be futuristic we could have the food and beverages delivered to your seat by way of drones.
I am not really into this kind of stuff but this one sounds really cool.

Like a virtual/online version of PRO Magazine for those of us old enough who remember it from Giant games at the old Stadium.

Reactions: RU at the shore
Forget wifi, work with cell companies to improve data. Wifi cost to install in an old stadium would be huge... People who will post on social media have 4g and will use it if it works.

Reactions: FastMJ
Definitely showing my age but I don't get the fascination with having wifi and internet access while at the game. The game is right in front of you, just watch it.

I (mid 30s) checking player stats during game. Especially half time.

Other people posting pics and chatting about plays in real time, like bloggers do

Reactions: Scarlet5
I can't stand watching BBall on TV anyone. Advertisements on every inch of the field, dugouts, the railing the manager leans on. Plus throw in the idiot strike box.

I turned off the Cubs Nats game after an inning. Seriously.

Sounds like you and I need to get those kids off our lawn! Seriously though I agree with everything you've said about the contemporary sports experience. I hardly ever go to live sporting events anymore and lost my taste for baseball years ago --- the "purity" and throwback feel is long gone. And you are absolutely right about the lost art of flow and momentum in your other post. I'm on the edge of my seat watching the game rhythm unfold and bamm! TV timeout. Hope Ash's look is to make the game day experience more traditionally collegiate and less me too NY outer borough simulated flashiness.

Sounds like you and I need to get those kids off our lawn! Seriously though I agree with everything you've said about the contemporary sports experience. I hardly ever go to live sporting events anymore and lost my taste for baseball years ago --- the "purity" and throwback feel is long gone. And you are absolutely right about the lost art of flow and momentum in your other post. I'm on the edge of my seat watching the game rhythm unfold and bamm! TV timeout. Hope Ash's look is to make the game day experience more traditionally collegiate and less me too NY outer borough simulated flashiness.
Then you need to discover affiliated minor league baseball.

We do the BlueClaws a couple times over the Summer just because.

This should have been fixed from day one because without it, handicapped fans don't get the stadium experience. Nightingale service to the west gate where most of the older fans have their seats. If you park in the white lot, the drop off point is by the Glen and it's still probably 150 yards walk to section 103, etc. For people that don't need mobility help but can't walk long distances either, the service doesn't provide any assistance.
Just extent the service to the west gate and that fixes the problem. No need to over think this situation. They take VIPs, etc there already. Don't understand the thinking on this and why it can't be fixed immediately !
You take the high road and I'll take the stairs........

Reactions: robcac26
This should have been fixed from day one because without it, handicapped fans don't get the stadium experience. Nightingale service to the west gate where most of the older fans have their seats. If you park in the white lot, the drop off point is by the Glen and it's still probably 150 yards walk to section 103, etc. For people that don't need mobility help but can't walk long distances either, the service doesn't provide any assistance.
Just extent the service to the west gate and that fixes the problem. No need to over think this situation. They take VIPs, etc there already. Don't understand the thinking on this and why it can't be fixed immediately !
You take the high road and I'll take the stairs........
Agreed, I brought my handicapped uncle to the Wisconsin game a couple years ago, he's a big football fan but had never been to a college game before so I was hoping to show him a good time but the amount of walking he had to do didn't really please him. There wasn't enough handicapped parking so we parked in a normal spot near the RAC, and the walk from the parking spot to the shuttle was pretty long for him. The drop-off at the stadium was another pretty long walk, especially because we sit in 131. Obviously they're not going to drive people right to their seats, but I thought it would have been doable to get closer to the stadium and stop at more than one entrance.

I'm sure the terrible on-field performance, the horrendous weather, and the lack of stadium atmosphere for that game didn't help either. I'll try bringing him to another game when we get there early enough to tailgate at Johnson Park since that involves much less walking than taking the handicapped shuttle from the RAC.

That's actually a crucial element they need to fix and expand, the Knightingale Service. In addition to the above comments, I've heard a lot of complaints about the fact that it doesn't extend out to the farther lots. They need to figure that out.

Definitely showing my age but I don't get the fascination with having wifi and internet access while at the game. The game is right in front of you, just watch it.
Couldn't agree more. Spend time watching the game instead of posting selfies of yourself and friends.:grimace:

I mostly agree with this, but I do find myself using my phone during stoppages to check scores of other games happening at the same time.

I like beer as much as the next guy, but I can't understand why people cannot enjoy a sporting event, concert, etc without continuous alcohol consumption. It seems they could charge 20 bucks per beer and tons of you would continue to buy it at these events.
Agreed. You can get a six pack of a really good beer and enjoy it while tailgating for the same price as one crappy beer sold in most sporting venues.

That's actually a crucial element they need to fix and expand, the Knightingale Service. In addition to the above comments, I've heard a lot of complaints about the fact that it doesn't extend out to the farther lots. They need to figure that out.
Correct. I've spoken to a few people about it and the answer I've gotten is no answer ???????

Reactions: RUonBrain
Didn't see a great one the last time I hit Wally but before this high tech stuff you could go to a (then) Circuit City or Best Buy and pick up an excellent portable AM/FM radio with a great tuner. You can listen to the play by play during the game and they (including EL) will provide the stats during the game and half time (plus post game). How's that for technology. Also [used to pay for $5 data for my govt phone, and get scores during the game. WiFi is great-using now- but not so sure I want to see more cell phones in the stadium.

bingo...and what is disappointing is that there are people using Knightengale that are not handicap. One guy in my gym who is 60 uses it because he has a 5 year old grandchild..boo hoo. I see plenty of able people doing it while older folk who need have to wait

I mostly agree with this, but I do find myself using my phone during stoppages to check scores of other games happening at the same time.

Me too, because I don't need to see the scores of the 15 top 25 games that have not started yet 20 times per quarter. Would be nice for them to give B1G scores.

Reactions: robcac26
Present the Alma Mater in a more respectful way. Right now we have national anthem which then sparks an RU chant immediately after and then no one hears the Alma Mater. The only time this doesn't occur is when the Glee Club is present because people stop to listen. I don't know how to fix it, but something needs to happen between the songs to let people chant and then acknowledge that the Alma Mater is being played. Maybe have the sing-a-long led each week by a different RU celeb. I don't know. It just makes me crazy.

And adjust the pacing of the song. It does not have to be a funeral dirge. Speed it up! After the game make it slow in a loss and a happy pace for a victory. Pregame it should be fast.

https://www.reverbnation.com/23tosparta/song/16196-on-banks-old-raritan

And lower the scoreboard volume... sheesh, sometimes it is mind-numbingly loud. Is the guy that sets the volume in a closed in box?

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Read about the app, WiFi, POS system & technology at Levi's Stadium:

http://gizmodo.com/behind-the-scenes-at-the-san-francisco-49ers-new-high-1630779892

http://time.com/3136272/levis-stadium-tech/

http://www.fastcompany.com/3035489/elasticity/5-ways-the-49ers-new-stadium-will-change-the-game

This is what people want now but we can't afford it.

No more Joe Nolan and his first down thing. No more DJ. Less piped in music, more college band atmosphere. Please stop with the requests for Bruce and Bon Jovi...we get it, they are from NJ and Ru is located in nj but seriously...enough.
Why on earth do you want to get rid of 1 of the few traditions we have & stop Nolan's "and that is a Rutgers 1st down"? Terrible idea. Much of the crowd is into that.

Why on earth do you want to get rid of 1 of the few traditions we have & stop Nolan's "and that is a Rutgers 1st down"? Terrible idea. Much of the crowd is into that.
Yeah, and enough with the cannon already. It upsets my chicken fingers.

Read about the app, WiFi, POS system & technology at Levi's Stadium:

http://gizmodo.com/behind-the-scenes-at-the-san-francisco-49ers-new-high-1630779892

http://time.com/3136272/levis-stadium-tech/

http://www.fastcompany.com/3035489/elasticity/5-ways-the-49ers-new-stadium-will-change-the-game

This is what people want now but we can't afford it.

First off, not a Jets fan but I think he's the PA for the Jets games and does the same thing so it's not unique to us. Second, if that's a tradition then my God our game day experience is quite sad.

Surprising no one at all, I would suggest free hookers and blow.
This ain't The U.

It's been mentioned already, but it bears repeating: stop playing home games at Yankee Stadium.
Also, retire Seven Nation Army. It's a cliche at this point.

Last edited:
Some suggestions for Hobbs:

• Enhance collegiate atmosphere. That means less stuff that you minor league ballparks and less piped-in music. That means more from the band and more having cheerleaders lead cheers. Others here can suggest other things that enhance the collegiate atmosphere.
  • Shorter concession lines. Especially with noon games in early September, a lot of people miss a lot of the game because they are standing on the concourse to buy a cold drink. With "drinks only" concession booths selling cold bottled water and soda, you can get a drink a lot faster than having to wait in a line for food and drink. Better efficiency training of the concession workers would help too, but it might be hard to accomplish this in time for the first game.
  • More bathrooms. (Yes, I know this won't be done by Sept, but it is a huge problem, especially for the west stands.)
  • More TVs on the concourse (and in the cooling stations for the early Sept games). Although shorter conession lines and more bathrooms will help people get back to their seatss to watch the game, there are still times you will be on the concourse (or in the cooling stations for early Sept games). TVs will help you continue to watch the game.

My list above was about in-the-stadium improvements. Now that parking has been assigned I want to add some suggestions for outside the stadium:

• Improved Knightingale service, with more stops and more trams, so that those with mobility issues can take advantage of the service regardless of which lot they park in.
  • Adequate room in parking lots for tailgating. Earlier this year (https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/football-parking-update.85746/page-3#post-1840686), I discussed the state code for parking lot spacing. By following the code, and putting the orange lines 60 feet apart, Rutgers ensures that each car has enough room to park and set up a 10-foot canopy behind their car. Since tailgating is a big part of the gameday experience, and we pay lots of money for the ability to tailgate, Rutgers needs to provide adequate room to tailgate.

My list above was about in-the-stadium improvements. Now that parking has been assigned I want to add some suggestions for outside the stadium:

• Improved Knightingale service, with more stops and more trams, so that those with mobility issues can take advantage of the service regardless of which lot they park in.
  • Adequate room in parking lots for tailgating. Earlier this year (https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/football-parking-update.85746/page-3#post-1840686), I discussed the state code for parking lot spacing. By following the code, and putting the orange lines 60 feet apart, Rutgers ensures that each car has enough room to park and set up a 10-foot canopy behind their car. Since tailgating is a big part of the gameday experience, and we pay lots of money for the ability to tailgate, Rutgers needs to provide adequate room to tailgate.
Why this has NOT (and believe me, I have asked..every year) been considered since the the B!G announcement I have no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT