ADVERTISEMENT

Hold your horses Scarlet Knights

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
Yes, I’m thrilled about Yeboah. Yes, we are deeper than we’ve been in a while. But folks seem to forget that we are not the only team in the Big Ten who has depth or has improved. We also have three new pieces to integrate with everyone else (I know Young has practiced but he hasn’t been in a game situation). I also worry about what happens when Myles Johnson isn’t in the game.
So...my expectations right now are above .500 for sure .... but I need to see some games before I start predicting NIT or even NCAA.

Damn man it's been 29 yrs. by time the next tournament arrives, let people hope and dream for a little while. No reason to smash their dreams this early in the off season Mr. Dream Weaver. There's plenty of time for reality once the season starts.

Minnesota landed a grad transfer from Drexel today....Purdue landed one last week as a combo guard. Nebraska has entered the realm of gathering players in a high major way.

We aren't talking about leaps and bounds to close the gaps between B1G competition....we are probably talking about 3 better possessions per half that go from bad to respectable or good. Those 6 possessions per game are where Yeboah, Young, Mulcahy fill in those gaps.

For the "stat guys"....the question is points per possession and what 3 less turnovers per game and 5 extra points looks like vs 80% of our schedule. And can that go up further than that with better FT shooting.

Yes, I’m thrilled about Yeboah. Yes, we are deeper than we’ve been in a while. But folks seem to forget that we are not the only team in the Big Ten who has depth or has improved. We also have three new pieces to integrate with everyone else (I know Young has practiced but he hasn’t been in a game situation). I also worry about what happens when Myles Johnson isn’t in the game.
So...my expectations right now are above .500 for sure .... but I need to see some games before I start predicting NIT or even NCAA.
Can we enjoy this for a while without the Debbie downer stuff?

Doubt any of the big ten schools at a grad transfer as meaningful as the one we added today. Not every team magically gets a new starter who has enough presence to have a captain like impact. Harper was already looking like an impact starter but I doubt he starts over yeboah

im thrilled with this addition and think this CAN get us over the jump but I certainly see your point. That’s why they play the games. Should def be excited but temper expectations. Heck I thought Sit was going to change the football team. Fingers crossed he improves a lot this year. We’ll find out about both soon enough...

Reactions: Altrev and DirtyRU
Minnesota landed a grad transfer from Drexel today....Purdue landed one last week as a combo guard. Nebraska has entered the realm of gathering players in a high major way.

We aren't talking about leaps and bounds to close the gaps between B1G competition....we are probably talking about 3 better possessions per half that go from bad to respectable or good. Those 6 possessions per game are where Yeboah, Young, Mulcahy fill in those gaps.

For the "stat guys"....the question is points per possession and what 3 less turnovers per game and 5 extra points looks like vs 80% of our schedule. And can that go up further than that with better FT shooting.
Hawk, you had said we’d be fine without Yeboah. Has your assessment changed?

I was thinking the same thing. I love this addition. Yeboah looks really good. But, while I'm seriously hoping it happens, I'm just not ready to make the leap to declaring us an NCAA tourney team yet. Our improvement is not happening in a vacuum. As you said, we're not the only team making moves.

That said, I love the way this program is moving! Can't wait for the season to start.

Penn State losing a good freshman who just announced is transferring, Rasir Bolton. they are still waiting on Stevens decision. other Big Ten ? are Amir Coffey and Caleb Wesson, neither have announced yet what they are doing.

There are good teams that don’t make the tournament every year. For fringe NCAA teams you still need a little luck and to stay healthy. Bottom line though is this is the first time in a very very long time that I can honestly tell myself we have a chance at the NCAA tourney. We have a chance and I am excited about it.

Before Yeboah committed, a lot of B1G podcasts and prognosticators (at least the ones that pay attention to actual roster and not just team name) were already predicting NIT as the floor and for us to be 6-9 in conference standings.

Reactions: Scangg
Not sure why anyone would think this guy starts over Harper next year. I see him more as the first front court player off the bench.

Agreed at least from the beginning He will come off the bench (maybe not even first off early on) for the early games. Eventually he will either be that all important 6th man or a starter.
However if Harper can give a better spark off the bench they might reverse rolls. That guys off the bench often.needs to give a spark both on offense and defense. I think THAT is where Harper excels at this point in his game. He can come in and play shut down defense or score a few quick buckets. I think Yeboah will give you consistency like you expect and want out of your starters.

Some guys can play better off the bench than others. Some guys need to be in the flow of the game from the tip or can get lost for large chunks of the game. I think this will ultimately determine who plays when and where.

I don’t know who starts, but he was better than Harper last year.

I'd think Harper and Omoruyi get the start at this point, with Yeboah coming in to back up both. I think Harper will probably take a bigger step forward between his freshman and sophomore year than Yeboah will make between a RS Jr and RS Sr year moving from the America East to the Big Ten.

Against conference competition last year, Harper's "per 40" freshman numbers were 15.0 pts (on 12.0 attempts), 5.6 rbs, 1.8 ast, 1.1 stl, 1.1 tov, 3.7 pf
Yeboah's "per 40" RS Jr numbers vs lesser competition were 21.0 pts (on 17.4 attempts), 9.6 rb, 1.8 ast, 1.1 stl, 3.2 tov, 3.2 pf.

Yeboah got more points and boards as the primary scorer against lesser competition - but had the same rate of assists/steals, and 3x the turnover rate.

If Harper gets 25-30 min at SF, and Omorouyi gets 25-30 at PF.... that leaves 20-30 min for Yeboah as first sub at both positions.

I'd think Harper and Omoruyi get the start at this point, with Yeboah coming in to back up both. I think Harper will probably take a bigger step forward between his freshman and sophomore year than Yeboah will make between a RS Jr and RS Sr year moving from the America East to the Big Ten.

Against conference competition last year, Harper's "per 40" freshman numbers were 15.0 pts (on 12.0 attempts), 5.6 rbs, 1.8 ast, 1.1 stl, 1.1 tov, 3.7 pf
Yeboah's "per 40" RS Jr numbers vs lesser competition were 21.0 pts (on 17.4 attempts), 9.6 rb, 1.8 ast, 1.1 stl, 3.2 tov, 3.2 pf.

Yeboah got more points and boards as the primary scorer against lesser competition - but had the same rate of assists/steals, and 3x the turnover rate.

If Harper gets 25-30 min at SF, and Omorouyi gets 25-30 at PF.... that leaves 20-30 min for Yeboah as first sub at both positions.
Yes but this rule out any 3 guard lineups, and also rules out ever playing either Carter or Doucore at the 4. And I think we’ll see some of both of those things. Minutes will be tight all around.

Anyone who says definitively Harper is better than Yeboah or vis versa is not being objective.

My take and it is an uneducated guess.........

Yeboah had choices where to go. I am guessing (mere guess) that Pike told him if he comes here there are starter minutes AND the plan is to play small with Eugene at the 5 a lot. Why else would he choose Rutgers over other schools?

In addition, I an making an uneducated guess that Duke came here 2 years ago and was told if he reclassified and came here he would play AND Pike is a man of his word.

Maybe I am going overboard here with conspiracy theories, but this is what I think could be happening. To me it is very logical.

Bottom line I see both starting along with Baker Mathis and Eugene

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Yes but this rule out any 3 guard lineups, and also rules out ever playing either Carter or Doucore at the 4. And I think we’ll see some of both of those things. Minutes will be tight all around.

There will be some three guard lineups, too, I'm sure - and we'll see Omoruyi at the 5 at times, too. I doubt Carter or Doucoure see much time at PF, though, as there are around 15 min at center that they will need to fill.

Anyone who says definitively Harper is better than Yeboah or vis versa is not being objective.

My take and it is an uneducated guess.........

Yeboah had choices where to go. I am guessing (mere guess) that Pike told him if he comes here there are starter minutes AND the plan is to play small with Eugene at the 5 a lot. Why else would he choose Rutgers over other schools?

In addition, I an making an uneducated guess that Duke came here 2 years ago and was told if he reclassified and came here he would play AND Pike is a man of his word.

Maybe I am going overboard here with conspiracy theories, but this is what I think could be happening. To me it is very logical.

Bottom line I see both starting along with Baker Mathis and Eugene

As Pike has said, this isn't little league. The best players will play - and he's not as concerned about who starts. He has said that starting is something the players may care about, but he doesn't - the best players will get the most minutes.

I think either Yeboah/Harper could start, and it'd be a matter of managing player egos there with regard to who gets that nod - they'll both probably play similar minutes, imo.

And Doucoure starting over Johnson? Really? I just don't see it. I think Johnson pretty solidly locked down the starting job behind Doorson last year. Doucoure may come back "new and improved" as a RS Soph, but Johnson is in his way right now with regard to winning minutes.

Minutes will depend on who we are playing and how we match up. We have tons of options

Reactions: Scarlet83
And Doucoure starting over Johnson? Really? I just don't see it. I think Johnson pretty solidly locked down the starting job behind Doorson last year. Doucoure may come back "new and improved" as a RS Soph, but Johnson is in his way right now with regard to winning minutes.
NO!

just making point i thoughtgood chance Pike told Duke (2 years ago) he would make it worth his whille to reclassify...and he kept his word.....and the same thing will happen with Yeboah

Just a guess

i think on any given night it will be Duke OR Carter getting limited minutes. Other one could be a DNP...

caveat...assuming no injuries

There’s absolutely no reason to hold our horses.

This program continues to trend upward and the fan base is excited and has faith that Pikiell will get us to the NCAAs within the next 1-2 years.

Those are real and attainable expectations for anyone who has been following this program relatively closely.

I have been following this program closely. We were jazzed when we got to .500 after beating Iowa, then we know what happened after that. Above .500 is all I can reasonably expect on paper - but I could quickly change my mind after seeing a few games.

NO!

just making point i thoughtgood chance Pike told Duke (2 years ago) he would make it worth his whille to reclassify...and he kept his word.....and the same thing will happen with Yeboah

Just a guess

Ah, I see - got confused about time period. Do you really think that Doucoure only started that year because Pike told him he would during recruitment? We really didn't have any true "starting" go-to center that year between Doucoure, Sa, and Doorson - and they all played roughly the same number of minutes per game, and had fairly similar "per 40 " production. When Doorson finally started to emerge more later in the season, he got the last four starts.

Doubt any of the big ten schools at a grad transfer as meaningful as the one we added today. Not every team magically gets a new starter who has enough presence to have a captain like impact. Harper was already looking like an impact starter but I doubt he starts over yeboah

I think it would be a mistake not starting Harper, even if you think Yeaboah is better

Harper has earned his way into the starting lineup and I would not mess with him

At the end of the game either one of them could have more minutes or be in at crunch time anyway,

Starting is an honor bestowed without much beyond that. Leave it be

The B1G is one of the toughest leagues in the country. Getting to the top half is going to be difficult for a program like Rutgers.

That written one has to be getting excited for the future of Rutgers basketball. I posted on the premium board that if you assume our starters are: Young/Geo/Harper/Eugene/ Myles then we could have a 2nd unit that looks like Mulcahy/Mathis/McConnell/Yeboah/Doucoure (or Carter).

That 2nd unit could include three (3) Rivals 150 players (Mulcahy, Mathis, Doucoure), a grad transfer who averaged 16/7 last season and a Sophomore in McConnell who looks to have the potential to be a solid B1G player. That's exciting. Our '19-'20 2nd unit may be better than a handful of Rutgers starting lineups over the past decade. (IMO) Coach P has done a remarkable job of building this roster in just three recruiting classes. Nothing wrong with getting excited.

No thanks, I prefer to let the horses gallup!!!! Pike’s goal is the NCAA Tournament. For the first time in a long time, this team can get there. It won’t be easy, but it is a very reasonable goal

Let’s grow a pair and go for it!!!

Last edited:
This team played well beyond expectations last season with plenty of holes in the roster. No reason to not believe we cannot do better even with other schools also picking up some help.
Pike has shown he can squeeze more out of our players.

The difference is while every team adds players every year, Rutgers only lost Shaq essentially (with Thiam being out of the rotation and terrible). We also had 4 freshman in Harper Mathis Caleb and Myles who were major contributors and freshman to sophomore year is when you would expect major improvement.

We also added a 4 star top 100 amazing passer, a former 4 star quick scoring guard, and a grad transfer tough versatile big wing who can bang and shoot 3's. All skill sets we lacked last year so these are not only talented new additions but also in areas that improve team needs

Put it together and we should be gaining on the field

Here's how I see things playing out.

Guards (80):
Baker - 28
Mathis - 18
Young - 18
Mulcahy - 12
McConnell - 4
Kiss - 0

Forwards (80)
Omoruyi - 20
Harper - 24
Yeboah - 22
McConnell - 14

Center (40)
Johnson - 24
Omoruyi - 8
Carter/Doucoure - 8

As you can see, I have Omoruyi and McConnell listed in two places each, so here's the overall minutes distribution:

Baker - 28
Omoruyi - 28
Harper - 24
Johnson - 24
Yeboah - 22
Mathis - 18
Young - 18
McConnell - 18
Mulcahy - 12
Carter/Doucoure - 8 total
Kiss - 0 (do I really think he will never play? No, I'm sure he will get spot duty, but for a minutes analysis like this, I assume 0)

The wild card in all of this is whether Mulcahy proves himself ready to be a full-time PG as a freshman in the Big Ten. I personally think his trajectory will look a lot like that of McConnell last year, with him getting his feet wet in Nov/Dec. and then getting more playing time as the year progresses. I don't currently think he will "start" at any point this year. But if his development is faster than I think, then the minutes of Mathis, Young, and McConnell will suffer.

Some stats on what we're returning from last year:
84.4% of our total minutes
90.0% of our total points
76.1% of our total rebounds
94.1% of our total assists
87.1% of our total steals
67.8% of our total blocks

And then we're adding Young, Yeboah, Mulcahy, and a healthy Doucoure. Also, last year 38.8% of our minutes were from freshmen and just 8.8% were from a senior. This season, we're going to see those numbers close to reversed.

Really excited to see how it all comes together.

Reactions: JQRU91 and Scangg
Some stats on what we're returning from last year:
84.4% of our total minutes
90.0% of our total points
76.1% of our total rebounds
94.1% of our total assists
87.1% of our total steals
67.8% of our total blocks

And then we're adding Young, Yeboah, Mulcahy, and a healthy Doucoure. Also, last year 38.8% of our minutes were from freshmen and just 8.8% were from a senior. This season, we're going to see those numbers close to reversed.

Really excited to see how it all comes together.

This is why I think our realistic goal next year is the NCAA tournament. I cannot imagine many college teams have this kind of "returning" production.

Reactions: Scangg
Do you think that those of us over the drinking age don't know this? Hope springs eternal in the spring.

NO!

Just a guess

Pike has been a head coach for 15 yrs. I think he’s smarter than promising a starting role to any of our recruits. Douc is no Zion.

Reactions: TODDB33 and RUDead
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT