ADVERTISEMENT

Holloway's budget address - pro sports

It's interesting that he didn't say, "we might be revenue neutral soon." Instead he's saying, "we're going to run a 'deficit' in the same sense we run a deficit for, say, the English department. We're going to do that because we think having an intercollegiate athletics program is good for Rutgers just as having a good English department is good for Rutgers." As I say above, I agree. . . but it's good for us only if the teams are good and only if the program is run with integrity. The last things we need are to be a doormat or to be perceived as dishonest.

And with the non-revenue sports, which are predominantly women's, I look at the deficit the same way I look at the cost of the band and other musical organizations on campus. Don't see any faculty saying they should be dropped.

Reactions: Scarlet83
And with the non-revenue sports, which are predominantly women's, I look at the deficit the same way I look at the cost of the band and other musical organizations on campus. Don't see any faculty saying they should be dropped.
Or dance or theater or art or opera or film

Reactions: Scarlet83
So if we had a couple guys headed to the nba or another professional league …and they had no intention of attending classes second semester, but we were playing in the final 4…because this stuff happens all the time during March madness. you wouldn’t root or watch us ?
I call complete BS. We would paint that final four town scarlet and are you nuts would throw an epic party.

It can . But it’s easier to accomplish just one.
Agree. We should always keep working to improving both. If I had been a decades long fan of UNC and found out what they were doing and then, on top of it, defending what they were doing after getting caught, I would taken every Tar Heel shirt down to Salvation Army and called App State for season tickets.

So if we had a couple guys headed to the nba or another professional league …and they had no intention of attending classes second semester, but we were playing in the final 4…because this stuff happens all the time during March madness. you wouldn’t root or watch us ?
I call complete BS. We would paint that final four town scarlet and are you nuts would throw an epic party.
When I want to see minor league sports, I head over to Lakewood to see the Blue Claws. The day I think our sports program has turned into the University of No Classes,UNLV, Oklahoma, Memphis, Miami, etc. , I will just become a Monmouth fan. A lot cheaper and closer. I don’t know about you, but the overwhelming majority of Rutgers Alumni and fans I run into want real classes and want us to win, in that order. I won’t be posting about this anymore in this thread.

Agree. We should always keep working to improving both. If I had been a decades long fan of UNC and found out what they were doing and then, on top of it, defending what they were doing after getting caught, I would taken every Tar Heel shirt down to Salvation Army and called App State for season tickets.
I would applaud you for your conviction and commitment to wanting good academics. But the reality is we would gain more “fans” by just winning

I thought Big Ten rules do not allow that.
not sure but all they have to do is replace school funding with the B1G $.. unless (God Willing) the B1G $ is so much it covers 100% and more! But any good accountant could probably find a way around that clause.

I think schiano actually cares more than a lot of other coaches . Of course he wants these guys to succeed in life and graduate . That’s also a recruiting pitch . Some guys go for it, some don’t. But we all understand schiano is gonna be judged by the games and not the grades. Schiano would be the first to tell you that.
I think it really helps Schiano's status for the academic progress rate (which, after all, got us into a bowl game despite a losing record) to be so good. It wouldn't save him if the team were at the Ash-type level, but it helps him r(the rest of the Rutgers fan base) resist the faculty who say bad things about the program.

I don't know what the academic records are of our football players, although there are clearly some who are excellent. If an athlete were refusing to cooperate with the academic support staff, he would find himself in serious trouble with Schiano. I can't imagine Schiano trying to influence an individual faculty member the way a certain former coach tried to do at the Princeton Public Library (of all places). (Recall that coach was suspended by the University, and it probably contributed to his dismissal. This University cares about program integrity.)

In addition, I meant to mention in my post above that I find it hard to believe that there are a significant number of "sympathetic" faculty who are football fans and who might give athletes preferential treatment.

I think your "Joe Smith" is a myth propagated by enemies of the program. I know you are a big fan -- it's obvious from your many posts about the team -- and I am surprised that you believe the myth.

Yes, this is a point I make. to people The Department of Education no longer tries to keep records on individual sports. When it did, it was clear that the women's basketball program loses a lot of money in proportion to its revenue. And it needs to be recognized that the simplest way to cut the "deficit" would be to eliminate sports that even the program's most fervent opponents say they value.

I think it really helps Schiano's status for the academic progress rate (which, after all, got us into a bowl game despite a losing record) to be so good. It wouldn't save him if the team were at the Ash-type level, but it helps him r(the rest of the Rutgers fan base) resist the faculty who say bad things about the program.

I don't know what the academic records are of our football players, although there are clearly some who are excellent. If an athlete were refusing to cooperate with the academic support staff, he would find himself in serious trouble with Schiano. I can't imagine Schiano trying to influence an individual faculty member the way a certain former coach tried to do at the Princeton Public Library (of all places). (Recall that coach was suspended by the University, and it probably contributed to his dismissal. This University cares about program integrity.)

In addition, I meant to mention in my post above that I find it hard to believe that there are a significant number of "sympathetic" faculty who are football fans and who might give athletes preferential treatment.

I think your "Joe Smith" is a myth propagated by enemies of the program. I know you are a big fan -- it's obvious from your many posts about the team -- and I am surprised that you believe the myth.
It’s not a ‘myth but there is many smith

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT