ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops doing great with recruiting/portal using it’s NIL. Is it at the expense of football NIL?

Knightwatchman

Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
There’s been discussion of basketball only schools doing well with recruiting and portal because they don’t have to share NIL with football. RU basketball is doing phenomenal. Is Rutgers throwing all their NIL at basketball, at the expense of football, because we’re so much closer to big time success in hoops?

There’s been discussion of basketball only schools doing well with recruiting and portal because they don’t have to share NIL with football. RU basketball is doing phenomenal. Is Rutgers throwing all their NIL at basketball, at the expense of football, because we’re so much closer to big time success in hoops?
The school had nothing to do with NIL—more about private donations to support it. basketball has been winking and gathering more attention from donors than football
Also less mouths to feed

Reactions: bac2therac
Why this discussion? To start a controversy that doesn't exist ? A better discussion would be why do some Ru alumni , like many on these boards, expect others to help/ donate to advance RU in all sports so that they all can acheive.

Why this discussion? To start a controversy that doesn't exist ? A better discussion would be why do some Ru alumni , like many on these boards, expect others to help/ donate to advance RU in all sports so that they all can acheive.

Why do some RU alumni, like many on these boards, expect others?

Probably because the Athletic Department itself started it first and expects others to help/donate to advance RU in all sports do that they all can achieve.

"Some RU alumni" couldn't run fast enough to throw money at HC Schiano's salary. But I guess asking to aslo chip in money for players is the end of the world.

It may be different donor bases, not sure. But some success generally breeds more generosity.

It may be different donor bases, not sure. But some success generally breeds more generosity.
Yeah just ask Villanova...After the won their second NCAA Championship(post '85) they got enormous donations

Reactions: RUPete
You are looking at it from the wrong perspective, RU needs more alums and fans to donate and not just to football but all sports. I bet that many here have not made another contribution to KTR since the donation match campaign ended.

Recruits would still have to choose u over other NIL offers. Nobody wants to play for a team that gets blown out by the Terrapins and Gophers. Thats not exciting or intriguing

More NIL would and will be there for football when we’re not getting destroyed by the big 3 of OSU, Mich and Penn State,
competitive with the rest of the BIG10 and put out a product that’s exciting/worth spending a whole Saturday watching in person.

I also don’t think NIL should ever be to blame to getting to this point of competitiveness. Unless those other BIG10 schools outside those 3 are blowing us away with NIL $ which I don’t think is the case.

With the transfer portal, I would have hoped Schiano had gotten us there by this year, but that doesn’t look like it will be the case.

I told football I could come up with about 20k in NIL for a player (me and someone else) with certain parameters from the transfer portal to help address our biggest needs in the off-season. They did the complete opposite of that in the portal.

• Haha
Reactions: S_Janowski
I told football I could come up with about 20k in NIL for a player (me and someone else) with certain parameters from the transfer portal to help address our biggest needs in the off-season. They did the complete opposite of that in the portal.
QB Or Lineman

There's nothing wrong with the discussion.. though I expect some to take it that way... a competition.

I doubt OP meant "Rutgers University" and not "The Rutgers Program", which would include any NIL organization seeking to further Rutgers sports.

This is one of the worst things about NIL... there has to be some kind of cooperation.. collusion.. between teh university and those seeking to help the athletes. That is because NIL is clearly being used in recruiting.. NOT mainly to support current athletes.. to allow them to earn money for themselves using their NIL in any way they see fit.

The NIL support orgs have to know who to offer NIL money to... who the school's coaches want to recruit. And with all the recruiting priorities of overlapping players.. it could get pretty hairy, I'd imagine when there is a case of offering two guys and saying the first one to sign gets the spot.

Basketball is easier to manage.. fewer offers every season.

I wouldn't worry.. basketball NIL money even if done pretty well for our level of a program is a rounding error to the amount needed for football to do it well.

Have I mentioned how much I hate the whole NIL thing lately?

More NIL would and will be there for football when we’re not getting destroyed by the big 3 of OSU, Mich and Penn State,
competitive with the rest of the BIG10 and put out a product that’s exciting/worth spending a whole Saturday watching in person.

I also don’t think NIL should ever be to blame to getting to this point of competitiveness. Unless those other BIG10 schools outside those 3 are blowing us away with NIL $ which I don’t think is the case.

With the transfer portal, I would have hoped Schiano had gotten us there by this year, but that doesn’t look like it will be the case.
Alas we are getting blown away in NIL by more than just the big three unfortunately. Plus a few ACC schools not named Clemson fsu Miami.

Sorry , When it comes to many RU fans, it really doesn't matter $ donations wise-- they still don't open their pocket books. And by the way the $ is most needed when you're down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT