ADVERTISEMENT

House v. NCAA agreement details roster sizes, NIL transparency as college leaders set blueprint for future

A number of us have debated in another thread how a compensation system affects the applicability of Title IX. Here's what the CBS story says:

"The biggest complication is Title IX compliance and whether future payments must be shared equally among all players or if a weighted system can be utilized to reward revenue-generating sports like football with more money than their female counterparts. The unspoken truth among administrators is it seems unlikely they will advocate for equal pay for athletes whose sports earn less than football and men's basketball.

"It's very likely we're going to see non-revenue sports get massacred," said Jason Belzer, president of Student Athlete NIL. "Title IX is going to be a very big battle. How are you going to stop it? It's going to be tough."https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-as-college-leaders-set-blueprint-for-future/

Reactions: Leonard23
A number of us have debated in another thread how a compensation system affects the applicability of Title IX. Here's what the CBS story says:

"The biggest complication is Title IX compliance and whether future payments must be shared equally among all players or if a weighted system can be utilized to reward revenue-generating sports like football with more money than their female counterparts. The unspoken truth among administrators is it seems unlikely they will advocate for equal pay for athletes whose sports earn less than football and men's basketball.

"It's very likely we're going to see non-revenue sports get massacred," said Jason Belzer, president of Student Athlete NIL. "Title IX is going to be a very big battle. How are you going to stop it? It's going to be tough."https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-as-college-leaders-set-blueprint-for-future/
No one really knows what will happen but the lawyers will make out great, because there's plenty more to litigate, including this settlement and Title IX. Lawyers won this battle...

This makes no sense.
Why wasn't this always the case?
If a school wanted to full fund the baseball or softball team with full scholarships, why was that not allowed?

"Important: The roster limit is both (1) max amount of players a sport can have in a season and (2) max number of scholarships it can distribute."

This makes no sense.
Why wasn't this always the case?
If a school wanted to full fund the baseball team with scholarships, why was that not allowed?

"Important: The roster limit is both (1) max amount of players a sport can have in a season and (2) max number of scholarships it can distribute."
What? Are you new to this? NCAA had strict scholarship limits for each sport.

Really? Same reason every club, league and association has rules... because its members voted on and approved them.

I didn't ask how - which was through a vote apparently.
I asked why - which is the reasoning behind the action.

If you don't know just say so and ignore the question.
It's fine. I won't be mad.

• Haha
No one really knows what will happen but the lawyers will make out great, because there's plenty more to litigate, including this settlement and Title IX. Lawyers won this battle...

Plaintiffs' lawyers win every time a class action suit is settled because the settlements invariably provide a big pot of money for attorneys' fees. They are generally paid on a contingency fee basis -- if they lose, they get nothing.

Keep in mind that Judge Wilken's approval is needed and it is not automatic.

Last edited:
Stunt and Tumbling scholarships should be transitioned to men and women flag football scholarships and call it a day.

GO RU

I didn't ask how - which was through a vote apparently.
I asked why - which is the reasoning behind the action.

If you don't know just say so and ignore the question.
It's fine. I won't be mad.
It’s because the smaller schools with less dollars had enough sway with the NCAA to keep the bigger schools from giving “unlimited” scholarships. That simple.
Now the P4 get to make most of their own rules.

Reactions: NickRU714
Plaintiffs' lawyers win every time a class action suit is settled because the settlements invariably provide a big pot of money for attorneys' fees. They are generally paid on a contingency fee basis -- if they lose, they get nothing.

Keep in mind that Judge Wilken's approval is needed and it is not automatic.
My understanding is that the smaller schools and the less prestigious conferences think the proposed settlement puts far too much of the burden of them. They'll be in court objecting, and Judge Wilken will have to decide whether she thinks the settlement is fair. Judge Wilken, btw, graduated law school in the class before mine, but I can't say I knew her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT