ADVERTISEMENT

New Dawn of College Athletics

Fonzie would be proud of this moment. We should never hear the word student athlete again. They are paid professionals.

giphy.gif

Completely unsurprising. Anyone who thought the new era of college sports would yield fairness, equity and other such nonsense was fooling his/herself. 😆

Nobody actually wants fairness, equality and other such nonsense.
Certainly not Rutgers/Big Ten fans.
More inequality is good for Rutgers.

Do you really want a fair and equal system with Rutgers, Temple and Syracuse?

Have any details about how this will be implemented emerged as yet? For this to work, it should be a standard pay rate for all FBS freshmen, with a 10% salary increase each year that the athlete remains with the same school. Lower divisions would have correspondingly lower pay rates.

And what about all non-revenue sports. Will pay scales be the same for all sports? Or will they be different for each sport, but the same within each sport across the country?

Also, since the athletes will be employees, can they be fired for sub-standard performance like other employees? And are athletic scholarships still part of the program, in addition to the wages?

It seems as, if not implemented properly, this could become a disaster like the NIL/transfer portal has become.

WGAF? Well some will..but the death of amateur, collegiate athletics is among us.

Obviously not the biggest thing to be worried about with the state of the world right now…but yes, this sucks. When do they start paying high school players?

Reactions: goru1869
Just let the money-making sports teams operate as college owned teams.
Green Bay is a bit like that.
This stuff is just trying to be half pregnant.
The "student" part of this situation will be a charade.
Why is 2016 the cut-off for past payments?
Obviously that date wont last long, and successful teams with famous players will get set upon.

...the programs will be cut and therefore not able to draw any salary while an "amateur athlete". I guess we can all agree collegiate amateurism is over.
Cutting women's sports programs? Find it hard to fathom that happening under the current Unidiversity Equity and Inclusion environment, especially if the current administration stays in power. It will be comical to watch them dance around preserving sports that get a tiny fraction of viewership that football and men's basketball gets and brings in.

Reactions: bac2therac
Oh, the poor ACC. . . . . 😂

"If you wonder why Texas and Oklahoma went to the SEC, while USC and UCLA defected to the Big Ten, the potential cost of litigation played a significant role. A massive new Big Ten television contract could essentially fully cover the cost of the new reality for the Trojans and Bruins.

"For other schools, it won't be as simple. The ACC's total ESPN television contract cleared $30 million annually per school only in the past few seasons. The ACC and Big 12 both distributed approximately $44 million per school overall. For comparison, the Big Ten TV contract alone could be worth more than $75 million per school annually."

I like that “college owned teams”. Maybe the top 15-20 teams will spin off and become an NFL alternative. Players will have unlimited eligibility.

Title IX says hold my beer. How are the non-revenue athletes going to get paid?
This is what I wonder. Also, I am hearing conflicting things but does this apply to just the Power 5 or all NCAA? If all, then college sports as we know it are over. For example, for sports like college hockey now the junior league kids from Canada and Europe can play NCAA hockey. It would all be professional sports.

I’m a little confused. So now the schools can pay these kids. But can they still get huge checks from boosters in addition - like can some CEO booster write a thick check to a kid to be in a BS commercial for his company that has nothing to do with sports.

Nobody actually wants fairness, equality and other such nonsense.
Certainly not Rutgers/Big Ten fans.
More inequality is good for Rutgers.

Do you really want a fair and equal system with Rutgers, Temple and Syracuse?
Exactly. College sports is a caste system. While we may be considered poor and new money by B1G standards, we are the equivalent of the Monopoly Man to our old Big East rivals Cuse, BC, Temple, and UConn.

Oh, the poor ACC. . . . . 😂

"If you wonder why Texas and Oklahoma went to the SEC, while USC and UCLA defected to the Big Ten, the potential cost of litigation played a significant role. A massive new Big Ten television contract could essentially fully cover the cost of the new reality for the Trojans and Bruins.

"For other schools, it won't be as simple. The ACC's total ESPN television contract cleared $30 million annually per school only in the past few seasons. The ACC and Big 12 both distributed approximately $44 million per school overall. For comparison, the Big Ten TV contract alone could be worth more than $75 million per school annually."

Mega donors contributions (NIL etc) to a university can have a substantial impact on a schools performance irrespective of the payout from a Conference.

SMU is an example. They wanted to become a member of the ACC and negotiated joining by not requiring payment from the Conference for a number of years. Somewhat similar to Rutgers when they joined the BIG
at reduced BIG payouts for a number of years. I know it is early on in the recruiting process but I see that SMU currently has recruited 5 Rival 4-Star players. Rutgers and Pitt have recruited none so far.

In this new era of college sports, it is indeed wonderful to have Billionaire Alums who are devoted to their Schools Sports success.

By the way the "Look In" period to consider contract modifications between the ACC and ESPN begins in February 2025. All of the lawsuits involving FSU, Clemson ESPN and ACC I'm sure will be a part of the discussion as well as the impact of the CFP and new members Standford, CAL and SMU.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Mega donors contributions (NIL etc) to a university can have a substantial impact on a schools performance irrespective of the payout from a Conference.

SMU is an example. They wanted to become a member of the ACC and negotiated joining by not requiring payment from the Conference for a number of years. Somewhat similar to Rutgers when they joined the BIG
at reduced BIG payouts for a number of years. I know it is early on in the recruiting process but I see that SMU currently has recruited 5 Rival 4-Star players. Rutgers and Pitt have recruited none so far.

In this new era of college sports, it is indeed wonderful to have Billionaire Alums who are devoted to their Schools Sports success.

By the way the "Look In" period to consider contract modifications between the ACC and ESPN begins in February 2025. All of the lawsuits involving FSU, Clemson ESPN and ACC I'm sure will be a part of the discussion as well as the impact of the CFP and new members Standford, CAL and SMU.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I agree with this. If kids can be paid in any which way this won’t really impact universities in lesser conferences who have big cash donors who can buy entire teams.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
I agree with this. If kids can be paid in any which way this won’t really impact universities in lesser conferences who have big cash donors who can buy entire teams.
How do you figure? That is up to a $20m shortfall every year donors need to make up just to stay even. You are going to go to the same donors every year for that? That will get old very quickly for them. There is a massive advantage to those schools who get their funding from higher media rights.

So does this do away with Title IX? If the payment of college athletes is based on the huge revenue FB and MBB generate are we going to force FB and MBB players to take a paycut and share their revenue with girl's sports?

Sounds like a legal issue.

And if they are forced to share revenue they generate with other non revenue sports will they also be forced to share that money with the facilities staff, the taxes on the facilities? Things like that? Do the kids now pay for their education? How about equipment rentals?

Title IX says hold my beer. How are the non-revenue athletes going to get paid?
Personally, I think this is the death sentence for Olympic sports. If we look to past history, AD's will avoid raising expenses at all costs. History has shown us they'd rather cut sports than do that. In a game of keeping up with the Joneses, less sponsored sports equals less mouths to feed.

Personally, I think this is the death sentence for Olympic sports. If we look to past history, AD's will avoid raising expenses at all costs. History has shown us they'd rather cut sports than do that. In a game of keeping up with the Joneses, less sponsored sports equals less mouths to feed.

When it was a college expense title IX kinda made sense. You can't force employees to share their money. Should be interesting to see how they dance around to pay the sports that don't generate revenue or interest. (Sorry Crew team)

CFB and CBB shouldn't be funding the US Olympic training program.

If Olympic sports are so important to universities (and the country) then the University, taxpayers and federal government should be funding them.

Why is the level of our national Olympic training dependent upon how successful CFB/CBB are?

Reactions: dmaw
Olympic sports and title IX need to go. If the argument for getting paid is that you deserve a share of the revenues generated by your sport, how much of zero do they feel they should get? Perhaps those athletes should actually pay the schools to help cover part of the loss for running their program

Womans sports are going to suffer with the exception of Basketball. Who is funding woman’s field hockey ?

Why can't the University?
Don't "taxpayers" complain when sports are cut? Well then let them fund the sports if they are such a public need.

Olympic sports and title IX need to go. If the argument for getting paid is that you deserve a share of the revenues generated by your sport, how much of zero do they feel they should get? Perhaps those athletes should actually pay the schools to help cover part of the loss for running their program

I mean, I have to pay for my kids to participate in rec sports. As you says, to help cover part of the loss for running their program.

I don't remember if we had to pay for intramural sports at Rutgers.

Reactions: Ridge 22

100%

Reactions: Ridge 22
I mean, I have to pay for my kids to participate in rec sports. As you says, to help cover part of the loss for running their program.

I don't remember if we had to pay for intramural sports at Rutgers.

Intramurals came out of student fees.

Reactions: NickRU714
LOL. You think WBB generates a profit or even covers it's cost?
Probably at UConn? Tenn? Even in their downturn, they pack them in. Maybe SCar now? There are a few select programs of women’s sports that probably are self sufficient. Nebraska Volleyball…it’s a sell out every time…Texas VB, state Penn? Oklahoma Softball? (6/10 natties in one decade). I’m not sure if they make up operating expenses with their ticket revenue but those are successful programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section124
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT