ADVERTISEMENT

New Dawn of College Athletics

Probably at UConn? Tenn? Even in their downturn, they pack them in. Maybe SCar now? There are a few select programs of women’s sports that probably are self sufficient. Nebraska Volleyball…it’s a sell out every time…Texas VB, state Penn? Oklahoma Softball? (6/10 natties in one decade). I’m not sure if they make up operating expenses with their ticket revenue but those are successful programs.
Wisconsin has a women's hockey team. Have heard they sell well.

What sucks about this whole effin mess is that those Olympic sports…men and women, is where you truly find the more school loyal and dedicated “actual” student athlete. That guy or gal that works really hard to get a degree thanks to their athletic gifts fully knowing that the chances at professional athletics is practically nil! (Haha I used NIL to mean nothing!)

Of course football and to some extent basketball runs everything. Perhaps someone will come up with some brilliant reconciling of this facocked mess…though I would not withhold breath.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Probably at UConn? Tenn? Even in their downturn, they pack them in. Maybe SCar now? There are a few select programs of women’s sports that probably are self sufficient. Nebraska Volleyball…it’s a sell out every time…Texas VB, state Penn? Oklahoma Softball? (6/10 natties in one decade). I’m not sure if they make up operating expenses with their ticket revenue but those are successful programs.

That's a long way away from a policy of MBB and FB either supporting or not the rest of the nations programs.

Let's see how interested our incoming "college" pros are in sharing their salaries with the WBB team or the Crew team.

What sucks about this whole effin mess is that those Olympic sports…men and women, is where you truly find the more school loyal and dedicated “actual” student athlete. That guy or gal that works really hard to get a degree thanks to their athletic gifts fully knowing that the chances at professional athletics is practically nil! (Haha I used NIL to mean nothing!)

Of course football and to some extent basketball runs everything. Perhaps someone will come up with some brilliant reconciling of this facocked mess…though I would not withhold breath.

Used to be FB and BB were the same way until the money got involved.

Maybe the schools can start fielding amateur FB and BB teams made up of actual students for those who appreciate the historic meaning of college sports. Get some other colleges. Start a league. Put it on the Ocho to start. Let's see if it grows.

One and done. Free agency. NIL recruiting. This stuff is massive turn off for me.

Of course I’ll still support/watch, but at this point watching Princeton athletics is starting to seem more appealing.

The issue is clear. For the vast majority of P5 schools, football and MBB make money. The rest are an albatross. Most importantly, most schools are losing money in total. Now we are taking another $20m out of their budget to pay athletes. While football may still make money in a vacuum, the overall athletic budget is now $20m further in the red. And then you have the women's gymnastics team member suing because she isn't paid thr same as the football player instead of understanding that her sport drives zero revenue and that her share of zero is zero. How does any of this make sense for the school? At some point soon, they will realize they are better off cutting these niche sports than dealing with these delusional and entitled athletes

The issue is clear. For the vast majority of P5 schools, football and MBB make money. The rest are an albatross. Most importantly, most schools are losing money in total. Now we are taking another $20m out of their budget to pay athletes. While football may still make money in a vacuum, the overall athletic budget is now $20m further in the red. And then you have the women's gymnastics team member suing because she isn't paid thr same as the football player instead of understanding that her sport drives zero revenue and that her share of zero is zero. How does any of this make sense for the school? At some point soon, they will realize they are better off cutting these niche sports than dealing with these delusional and entitled athletes
Also with these ridiculously spread out leagues travel expenses eat up a lot of the revenue gains.

As an alternative, FB and BB continue in the super leagues, all other sports scale waaay back and compete regionally, some tuition help as incentive to participate, maybe a full time head coach only… kind of the way it used to be.

Reactions: NickRU714
As an alternative, FB and BB continue in the super leagues, all other sports scale waaay back and compete regionally, some tuition help as incentive to participate, maybe a full time head coach only… kind of the way it used to be.

I've been saying make it two separate Athletic Departments for years now.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Huh…I think this is a super smart idea…drop the pretense that CFB and MBB are amateur sports and continue the old paradigm for all other sports…

That might be the best outcome available. That way Olympic sports can stay alive and FB/BB can do their semi pro thing.
Unfortunately, like wnba or WSoc players thinking they deserve LeBron type money, I’m guessing someone will throw a loud enough hissy fit to put the kibosh on any move. As someone said…if you generate $0 revenue, what percentage of $0 seems fair?

Wondering out loud if RU wrestling covers their operating costs or makes any sort of profit. I believe they're annually top 5 or better in home attendance and butts in seats = $$. And I had to pay $30 for Jersey Mike game day parking. Somebody's making money!!

Wondering out loud if RU wrestling covers their operating costs or makes any sort of profit. I believe they're annually top 5 or better in home attendance and butts in seats = $$. And I had to pay $30 for Jersey Mike game day parking. Somebody's making money!!

I don't think so.

They should just be school-sponsored professional teams. The fact that these kids have to go to class is a farce for a large part, if not most of them. It should be optional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT