ADVERTISEMENT

How do the coaches have such a hard time recruiting a QB?

Any QB with a pulse can win the starting job. Flood left Ash with QBs that don't fit the offense. Or fit any offense really. Ash recruits a project QB who's athletic, but can't pass. And a grad transfer WR who can't pass and can't run.

If you have even average skills and want playing time, wouldn't you salivate at that chance?

Lewis is the only verbaled QB for next year. Can't put all his eggs in the one basket.
Flood, sure. He had a hard time recruiting most positions.

But evaluating what Ash does or does not have a hard time doing based on one semi-not-really-his recruiting class? Silly.

Just a reminder that we had a QB for this year but he was wearing #8 yesterday and had a headset on over on the opposite sideline, Tyler Wiegers. A consensus 4 star QB who decommitted after all the chaos we had here.
Don't know if at 6'4". 225 he would have fit into what Ash is trying to do but he couldn't be worse than whats going on now.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ler_wiegers_on_his_rutgers_de-commitment.html

/
Just a reminder that we had a QB for this year but he was wearing #8 yesterday and had a headset on over on the opposite sideline, Tyler Wiegers. A consensus 4 star QB who decommitted after all the chaos we had here.
Don't know if at 6'4". 225 he would have fit into what Ash is trying to do but he couldn't be worse than whats going on now.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ler_wiegers_on_his_rutgers_de-commitment.html

Yeah, and reading Wieger's quotes on that article, the blame was layed on the "athletic department" lack of stability. The Julie incidents and the faux bullying scandal were his downfall.

Don't forget, but for one drunken mistake, we could have had Philip Nelson on the staff, and despite losing yesterday to Virginia Tech, he put up huge numbers for ECU.

A lot of folks want to continue to beat the Flood dead horse, but he had (and almost had) 2 QBs on the staff that were lost to no fault of his. No, this is not a defense of Flood--glad he is gone---but let's get the facts straight. He had and almost had two better QBs on the team.

Nelson is currently
122/167 1457 yds 73.1% 9TD and 3INT.

Reactions: colbert17
But the bench is emptier than the Sahara when it comes to QB depth. Rettig can't run so he's bound to transfer to a lower division. Dare is limited to practice. Laviano can't throw with consistency and can't run. Allen can't throw, can't run and is gone after this year. Gio and Oden can run but can't pass. Only way a kid rides the bench is if he's injured or hopeless.

I've been dying for Oden to get some passing opportunities too but, since I trust Ash and company, I figure there's got to be a reason why he hasn't even been given one shot yet. It's real strange to me... frustrating too.

Since we know (from his high school highlight videos) he can throw the ball, I'm left with the thought that passing is not just about throwing the ball but about reading the defense and making decisions too. Maybe his mental command of the college game hasn't caught up to his physical tools yet?

I've been dying for Oden to get some passing opportunities too but, since I trust Ash and company, I figure there's got to be a reason why he hasn't even been given one shot yet. It's real strange to me... frustrating too.

Since we know (from his high school highlight videos) he can throw the ball, I'm left with the thought that passing is not just about throwing the ball but about reading the defense and making decisions too. Maybe his mental command of the college game hasn't caught up to his physical tools yet?

Four games into his true freshman year.

Four games into his true freshman year.

Regardless of what my timetable is, I trust Ash and his staff to know when he's ready to take on more than he has to this point. Interested to see what happens next and how he's brought along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT