ADVERTISEMENT

How do the coaches have such a hard time recruiting a QB?

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Any QB with a pulse can win the starting job. Flood left Ash with QBs that don't fit the offense. Or fit any offense really. Ash recruits a project QB who's athletic, but can't pass. And a grad transfer WR who can't pass and can't run.

If you have even average skills and want playing time, wouldn't you salivate at that chance?

Lewis is the only verbaled QB for next year. Can't put all his eggs in the one basket.

Any QB with a pulse can win the starting job. Flood left Ash with QBs that don't fit the offense. Or fit any offense really. Ash recruits a project QB who's athletic, but can't pass. And a grad transfer WR who can't pass and can't run.

If you have even average skills and want playing time, wouldn't you salivate at that chance?

Lewis is the only verbaled QB for next year. Can't put all his eggs in the one basket.

Ash and Co have landed Oden and Lewis in less than 9 months. That's a very good start IMHO.

Ash and Co have landed Oden and Lewis in less than 9 months. That's a very good start IMHO.
They need more Nuts. Lots more. QBs have arguably a higher fail rate than any other position. He needs to be signing 3 QBs a class.

Yes, he needs more, but he's done a very good job so far.
Eh, considering the overall uptick in recruiting, that's the weakest area. Landed Oden and Allen in 9 months (Lewis not signed yet). Oden may be promising. Allen needs to be switched back to WR.

But don't you think that's a hell of a selling point? Hey, you can chuck the ball further than 5 yards with accuracy? Sold! You can start!

Eh, considering the overall uptick in recruiting, that's the weakest area. Landed Oden and Allen in 9 months (Lewis not signed yet). Oden may be promising. Allen needs to be switched back to WR.

But don't you think that's a hell of a selling point? Hey, you can chuck the ball further than 5 yards with accuracy? Sold! You can start!

QB's usually commit early. Most of the good one's do not go anywhere in bunches except maybe to the best teams.

How many HS QB's that could start do you think were waiting around in December that Ash could have grabbed? RU was lucky Oden decommitted from L'Ville when he did.

Come on guys. It's ok to be disappointed but let's not lose our heads.

Oden was a huge get late in the recruiting process.
What QB was available for Ash to recruit?

Lewis is another huge get is he signs.
Ash can tell the Recruits to watch the Houston Offense and see what we are building here.
We need depth at the QB position.
We need game changers at WR.
Our RB are solid and a good fit for the offense.

What does Ash/Mehringer do?
Start Laviano next 2 games and let him get mauled by the wolves?
I think you do that and then bring in another QB (Oden/Gio) and see what happens.
If Oden doesn't win the job this year, it is likely he may never win the job with Lewis coming in.

Can't argue with THAT lol....let's see what happens I'm sure they're going at is as hard as they can.

They need more Nuts. Lots more. QBs have arguably a higher fail rate than any other position. He needs to be signing 3 QBs a class.

We're going to have a very hard time getting 2, let alone 3 in a single class. Only one guy can play at a time and kids know that. We should be able to grab one 3* or better every year, but beyond that it's tough. Kid doesn't wanna come here so he can sit the bench when he can go to Purdue or somewhere like that and have a legit shot at starting (or at least less competition)

QB's usually commit early. Most of the good one's do not go anywhere in bunches except maybe to the best teams.

How many HS QB's that could start do you think were waiting around in December that Ash could have grabbed? RU was lucky Oden decommitted from L'Ville when he did.

Come on guys. It's ok to be disappointed but let's not lose our heads.
I see your point, but I'm talking about flipping guys. And I'm not talking blue chip guys here. I'm talking an athletic kid committed to a CAA school or a Sunbelt or MAC school. They can start and get the exposure of the B1G vs sit around languishing on the bench for Bowling Green or UTSA.

Oden was a huge get late in the recruiting process.
What QB was available for Ash to recruit?

Lewis is another huge get is he signs.
Ash can tell the Recruits to watch the Houston Offense and see what we are building here.
We need depth at the QB position.
We need game changers at WR.
Our RB are solid and a good fit for the offense.

What does Ash/Mehringer do?
Start Laviano next 2 games and let him get mauled by the wolves?
I think you do that and then bring in another QB (Oden/Gio) and see what happens.
If Oden doesn't win the job this year, it is likely he may never win the job with Lewis coming in.
Your last sentence is beyond moronic.

We're going to have a very hard time getting 2, let alone 3 in a single class. Only one guy can play at a time and kids know that. We should be able to grab one 3* or better every year, but beyond that it's tough. Kid doesn't wanna come here so he can sit the bench when he can go to Purdue or somewhere like that and have a legit shot at starting (or at least less competition)
But the bench is emptier than the Sahara when it comes to QB depth. Rettig can't run so he's bound to transfer to a lower division. Dare is limited to practice. Laviano can't throw with consistency and can't run. Allen can't throw, can't run and is gone after this year. Gio and Oden can run but can't pass. Only way a kid rides the bench is if he's injured or hopeless.

I see your point, but I'm talking about flipping guys. And I'm not talking blue chip guys here. I'm talking an athletic kid committed to a CAA school or a Sunbelt or MAC school. They can start and get the exposure of the B1G vs sit around languishing on the bench for Bowling Green or UTSA.

Only one thing to say...

HUH?????

You really think there's a kid who can't play there but he can start here.

I give up with this place. It's insane with the things that are being said.

Buh-Bye

giphy.gif

I'm sure Ash has a plan, and will likely go after Plan B kids WHO CAN RUN THIS O if he has to, when the time is right.

Do we know Oden "can't pass"? That's actually a serious question. Was his scouting report that he could only run and not throw a pass accurately, or are we all just assuming that?

Reactions: KevH
LSU. Yes LSU's starting QB couldn't start at Purdue

Answered my own question by watching his highlights from senior year. First one was a 40 yard perfect strike into double coverage for a td. Guess he forgot how to throw when he enrolled at rutgers. [eyeroll]

Answered my own question by watching his highlights from senior year. First one was a 40 yard perfect strike into double coverage for a td. Guess he forgot how to throw when he enrolled at rutgers. [eyeroll]
So you're saying Mehringer has no ability to judge ability in a player (I'm not disputing this - he's the only one on Ash's staff I'm really disappointed with)? 'Cause he yanked Oden on third down when he needed to call a passing play.

So you're saying Mehringer has no ability to judge ability in a player (I'm not disputing this - he's the only one on Ash's staff I'm really disappointed with)? 'Cause he yanked Oden on third down when he needed to call a passing play.

I think he made some mistakes today, but I like mehringer overall so far. I think (and obviously just a guess) what is happening is that the coaches are impressed by lavianos toughness (and I have to give him credit he seems tough) and work ethic and so they are staying with him because they feel like he's earned it. In some ways, I respect that, but this is big time football now and we need to give the most talented players a chance. Even if oden is not the BEST qb, there is a good chance he is the most talented, so why not give him a chance to get better.

The issue I have with the original post is saying that oden "can't throw," when if you watch his highlights he clearly can throw. Just because they haven't allowed him to throw, doesn't mean that he can't.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. QB is one position they have recruited well in a short amount of time. Also, you generally don't bring in more than 1 QB a class unless 1 is a walk on.

I keep hearing how big of a commit Lewis would be, yet he still only has one other good offer (Georgia) and they don't even use a mobile QB so that doesn't say a ton

I think he made some mistakes today, but I like mehringer overall so far. I think (and obviously just a guess) what is happening is that the coaches are impressed by lavianos toughness (and I have to give him credit he seems tough) and work ethic and so they are staying with him because they feel like he's earned it. In some ways, I respect that, but this is big time football now and we need to give the most talented players a chance. Even if oden is not the BEST qb, there is a good chance he is the most talented, so why not give him a chance to get better.

The issue I have with the original post is saying that oden "can't throw," when if you watch his highlights he clearly can throw. Just because they haven't allowed him to throw, doesn't mean that he can't.
We're all frustrated man. I have no idea if Oden can throw. I'm just taking that cue from the OC. Even Ash has said he's not ready. And you might've seen him throw a beautiful pass, but I could put together a highlight reel of Laviano's passes that would make you think he's the second coming of Peyton Manning.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. QB is one position they have recruited well in a short amount of time. Also, you generally don't bring in more than 1 QB a class unless 1 is a walk on.
B1G linebackers eat QBs for lunch. You need bare minimum 2, if not 3 serviceable QBs in case of injury. We have none. Maybe one in Oden if he learns quickly. It's a unique circumstance. If Lewis sticks and signs, you'll have maybe two serviceable QBs. I'm not saying recruit 3 QBs a year forever, but we've got nothing.

B1G linebackers eat QBs for lunch. You need bare minimum 2, if not 3 serviceable QBs in case of injury. We have none. Maybe one in Oden if he learns quickly. It's a unique circumstance. If Lewis sticks and signs, you'll have maybe two serviceable QBs. I'm not saying recruit 3 QBs a year forever, but we've got nothing.

B1G quality duel thread QBs don't just grow on trees. Ash tried to fast track it by picking up a transfer, but so far he's not the answer. The recruits take time to develop. Grab a Snickers.

Reactions: MikeR0102
Bill Snyder at K State made a living - alot of money and many Top 10 teams off JUCO players and he is still doing it today...whatever - they can't get in here - supposedly.

You can't sneak 1 functional JUCO QB through the back door - of course you could!

B1G quality duel thread QBs don't just grow on trees. Ash tried to fast track it by picking up a transfer, but so far he's not the answer. The recruits take time to develop. Grab a Snickers.
A Snickers ain't gonna do it for me. Not talking OSU dual threat QB. Every season we see MAC teams beat up on lower echelon B1G teams when they have no business staying even with a B1G team. These are teams led by undervalued 2-star QBs who get passed by the big boys for some reason. Pick up 3 of those, maybe one might pan out to be average.

Look, the coaches decide who plays. If two successive OCs tell me Lav is the best they've got I have to trust them. Lav is not average. He is worse, much worse than average. An average QB from a very average or below average MAC-caliber team could've won the game today. Take either one of New Mexico's QBs from last week. They couldn't have beat Lav for the job?

We're all frustrated man. I have no idea if Oden can throw. I'm just taking that cue from the OC. Even Ash has said he's not ready. And you might've seen him throw a beautiful pass, but I could put together a highlight reel of Laviano's passes that would make you think he's the second coming of Peyton Manning.

It's a good point about the highlight reel, but I also think it's unfair to dismiss a true freshman as an example of failure to recruit a qb and imply that he can't (and won't ever be able to) pass.

It's a good point about the highlight reel, but I also think it's unfair to dismiss a true freshman as an example of failure to recruit a qb and imply that he can't (and won't ever be able to) pass.
Did I say he won't be able to pass? If I did, I didn't mean to. I don't even know that he can't pass now. Again, DW told me that:

Oden run 1st and 10 for another 1st and ten
Oden run, second down
Oden run, third down
Swap out Lav for Oden on 3rd down for an incomplete pass.

No way any school is signing 3 QBs in a single class. I don't care if they are B1G level, MAC level or CAA level. The kids all want to think they are the man in the recruiting class. That's the reason Alden is here, because Louisville had another hot shot QB recruit.

If you are lucky, maybe Rutgers can get another grad transfer QB, one who has actually taken significant reps at the position this time.

Rivals has both rated 3 stars
Laviano was a 3 star when he committed and he doesn't seem to have worked out.
I have hope that Oden is as good as most RU fans think, but will wait till he plays regularly before considering the QB problem solved.
That said, I think you're right saying landing Oden and Lewis is a good start.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Any QB with a pulse can win the starting job. Flood left Ash with QBs that don't fit the offense. Or fit any offense really. Ash recruits a project QB who's athletic, but can't pass.

You make many good points in your response posts, but part of your original post above, you do say he's a project who can't pass.

Did I say he won't be able to pass? If I did, I didn't mean to. I don't even know that he can't pass now. Again, DW told me that:

Oden run 1st and 10 for another 1st and ten
Oden run, second down
Oden run, third down
Swap out Lav for Oden on 3rd down for an incomplete pass.

Again, just because they don't allow him to pass doesn't mean he can't pass. Not saying he's going to be great, but give the kid a chance before you write him off. Hes obviously able to throw at least a little or he would not be a division 1 qb. So I'm ready to take the lumps and put him in there now, because at this point Laviano gives you nothing.

Honestly, the most frustrating thing for me is that the coaching staff harped on "we'll fit our system to best QB" over and over, but obviously they're keen on going with a running qb who executed the power spread.

I'm sorry but I have a really hard time believing Rettig is 5th string, when I've seen his arm strengh and tenacity in games/scrimmages. Either something's really off with the lad, or they totally ruled him out because he's a statue - prototypical pocket passer. His brother was lightly recruited and became a mega star at BC and is now playing in nfl. Many recruiting gurus thought Hayden had even more tools than Chase Rettig.

...and it's not just Rettig. Gio and Dare were pretty well regarded recruits who had a lot of interest late in their recruitment. Is Dare truly 6th string? Maybe. But more troubling is Zach Allen threw one of the ugliest balls I've ever seen on a college field, and sometimes you have to trust what you see over what you hear.

All I'm saying is I really hope this staff isn't prioritizing ability to execute option + running ability over being able to you know... pass. It's a QB position after all. This isn't Navy.

The man preaches competition at every position. But practice means squat. It's how a player performs in a game, and so many of the greats were never good practice players. If we're down big to osu and/or UM (which is likely) it's time to play QB musical chairs until you find the guy that can turn it on and handle pressure in a LIVE game. You don't know until you try.

We find that QB, the ingredient we are so desperately in need of to make things click, and I think we can sneak into a bowl. PSU, Minn, UI, IU, and MD are all beatable with solid QB play and our growing strength at D. We need 4 of those 5 to go. Heck, maybe even only 3 as 5-7 can get a B1G team in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT