ADVERTISEMENT

How Was Your Homecoming? Tailgating, Ticket, Entry, Game Experience

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Overall, the entire experience seemed very positive yesterday.
Entering and exiting the Yellow lot was easy.
Tailgating scene was great.
Entry through the West gate was easy 30 minutes before kickoff.
Most of the gameday ops was good, though they could still refine timing and song selection.

Here's a video of the marching band:

overall getting better especially with a win..

ticket entry was acceptable 30 mins before kick off, ...really still need a few more people scanning tickets.
concessions ran out of auntie ann's pretzels in early 3rd period in multiple sections, . you would think with such a high profit margin they would have plenty... Also ran out diet coke... With modern technology cant they have vending machines for water and soda?

Concession stand that was being run by FDU girls softball was a fast line with girls asking for "next person in line verbally and also with a hand -held sign..this shows properly staffed with competent organization works.

song section was acceptable, except no sweet carolina...how about some bruce or, bon jovi?

horn is a little too long...

Reactions: ScarletDave
I normally sit in 131 but I was in 121 this time. The PA volume is way too loud on the south side where I normally sit, but is a much more tolerable volume in the north side. In fact, there were times where I felt it could have been a little louder to make it easier to hear the announcements. However, the train horn is deafening on the north side.

Great day overall.
One thing bad was the awful condition of the portojohns in the yellow lot.
clearly had not been serviced since the Nebraska game and we’re disgusting.
that should not happen.
Not even sure how sh*t got into some of those spots (in yellow), haha.
Funny enough, went to go in one after the game (in yellow) and door was showing open---i swing open the door and there's a couple in there seemingly hooking up or about to get into it. Now 'that' is a new spot i havent seen used before.

Funny enough, went to go in one after the game (in yellow) and door was showing open---i swing open the door and there's a couple in there seemingly hooking up or about to get into it. Now 'that' is a new spot i havent seen used before.
Tailgate was very good. Met up with another to have 5 cars in a row. Chill tailgaiting for about 4 hours. Entry was easy. Game was pleasurable of course with a win. Coaching staff made many positive changes IMO to help the team to victory. As far as the port-o-johns, one I went into near the soccer stadium was absolutely foul. I'm not sure what happened in there. True story, back in my RU days: Walking towards the stadium, me and my buddies see some college guys rocking a port-o-john back and forth. Eventually it tips over and stuff is spewing out of the vent tube which is now horizontal. Dude inside opens the door and climbs out, covered in anything and everything a port-o-john might have in the tank. Ultimate prank at the time and one of the foulest things I have ever witnessed.

Tailgate was very good. Met up with another to have 5 cars in a row. Chill tailgaiting for about 4 hours. Entry was easy. Game was pleasurable of course with a win. Coaching staff made many positive changes IMO to help the team to victory. As far as the port-o-johns, one I went into near the soccer stadium was absolutely foul. I'm not sure what happened in there. True story, back in my RU days: Walking towards the stadium, me and my buddies see some college guys rocking a port-o-john back and forth. Eventually it tips over and stuff is spewing out of the vent tube which is now horizontal. Dude inside opens the door and climbs out, covered in anything and everything a port-o-john might have in the tank. Ultimate prank at the time and one of the foulest things I have ever witnessed.
Indoor bathrooms around the front of the soccer stadium have been open the last few games. The women and children in our group highly appreciate this option.

I've never understood why people use the port-o-Johns by the soccer stadium when you can walk an extra 25 yards & have real bathrooms with heat & hot/cold running water. Those bathrooms are *almost* worth the issues of getting out of the Blue lot after the game.
I will say getting out of Blue was WAY easier yesterday & they were even letting people turn right early on.

I've never understood why people use the port-o-Johns by the soccer stadium when you can walk an extra 25 yards & have real bathrooms with heat & hot/cold running water. Those bathrooms are *almost* worth the issues of getting out of the Blue lot after the game.
I will say getting out of Blue was WAY easier yesterday & they were even letting people turn right early on.
Exiting was quick and easy on Saturday. Did you mean turning left out of the Blue lot? For the first time ever after the Nebraska game they made us turn right and wouldn't allow us to go left. Indiana they allowed/made people go left out of the lot. I kinda forget about the indoor bathrooms even though I have used them in the past. Thanks for the reminder.

No sex is worth hooking up in a port o pot

I also saw someone get tipped in a port o pot. Homecoming scene in the late 80s was off the charts for tailgating. I recall one of the frats had a tent set up with strippers

Exiting was quick and easy on Saturday. Did you mean turning left out of the Blue lot? For the first time ever after the Nebraska game they made us turn right and wouldn't allow us to go left. Indiana they allowed/made people go left out of the lot. I kinda forget about the indoor bathrooms even though I have used them in the past. Thanks for the reminder.

No, I meant Right. They have a rule that you can't turn right towards 18 for 60-90 minutes (I forget which) after a game. Saturday they did not hold to that rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: LETSGORU91
No, I meant Right. They have a rule that you can't turn right towards 18 for 60-90 minutes (I forget which) after a game. Saturday they did not hold to that rule.
It slowed down exiting from the yellow lot a bit (more cars coming from the left meant longer waits for the yellow lot cars turning right). IT PROBABLY DELAYED ME BY A WHOPPING 3 MINUTES!!!😡 LOL, it’s OK I’ll take one for the team 😉

Reactions: MrsScrew
It slowed down exiting from the yellow lot a bit (more cars coming from the left meant longer waits for the yellow lot cars turning right). IT PROBABLY DELAYED ME BY A WHOPPING 3 MINUTES!!!😡 LOL, it’s OK I’ll take one for the team 😉

this means that **maybe** they actually listened to the complaints in the survey and on this board (they do read the boards) about leaving the lots and made some adjustments.

Reactions: redking and BigRnj
I can't even think about that. Must unsee any and all images completely.

I just waited about 20-30 minutes after the game and I drove right out of the Yellow Lot with no delays. It was going to be a little slower because everyone stayed until the end, as they should for a game like this.

Indoor bathrooms around the front of the soccer stadium have been open the last few games. The women and children in our group highly appreciate this option.
These are the ones I use. Running water and soap is a very important thing when eating tailgate finger food!
while I am not a germophobe. I cannot eat without having clean hands using soap and water. The port o John’s sanitizer gel just won’t cut it for me.

Got there later than I had hoped but a pleasant day over all.
Walking in down 14 was a bummer. After watching play for a couple series I told my folks I felt we would win. Glad to be right. Nice day all around.
One continuing negative though. That friggin train horn has to go! Can't stand it and it adds zero to the experience.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The Swag giveaways were light this year. I got a knit cap from the College of Engineering tailgate, an Engineering lapel pin, and some R-Engineering magnets. The letterwinner's tailgate didn't have any swag giveaway unless I missed it. The other tents didn't seem to have the usual amount of stuff. The beer zone had the standard block R magnets.

In defense of the Letterwinner's tailgate, it was unlimited booze. The engineering tailgate gave you two drinks which is more than fair for a free event.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
tell you what, I saw more drunk people than ever stumbling up the stairs during the game and leaving at the end of the game..

tell you what, I saw more drunk people than ever stumbling up the stairs during the game and leaving at the end of the game..
I didn't think it was as bad as a night game. But it's always what you see in and around your section. Iowa will always be known as the puke game for me since I had the pleasure of witnessing that in my section.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
I didn't think it was as bad as a night game. But it's always what you see in and around your section. Iowa will always be known as the puke game for me since I had the pleasure of witnessing that in my section.
Section 224? Saw 2 female Iowa fans (50-55) puking multiple times. The people they were with said it is a normal occurrence and were surprised that they were asked to leave.

Another fanbase I expected more from. Brother went to Med school in Iowa. I went to a couple of games out there and had plenty of good memories. But their present day fans (traveling) are an abomination.

Section 224? Saw 2 female Iowa fans (50-55) puking multiple times. The people they were with said it is a normal occurrence and were surprised that they were asked to leave.

Another fanbase I expected more from. Brother went to Med school in Iowa. I went to a couple of games out there and had plenty of good memories. But their present day fans (traveling) are an abomination.
124 and it was really bad. The poor woman right behind me took the brunt of it. It would have been me if she wasn't sitting there. Sadly, I think this was one of our fans or at least with a group of our fans.

Reactions: kupuna133
Got free tickets - Excellent
No parking pass, but parked at RAC ($25!) and took bus -OKay (did not fuss with 3 middle aged men drinking Bloody Marys)
Will Call had tix and was very smooth- Excellent
Food: Jersey Mike Sub and Blue Moon - Excellent. Better than expected.
Food Price: 3 Jersey Mike Sub and 3 Blue Moon nearly $100- Ouch
Seats: Row 31 near the 40 yd - Pretty Good
Horn - Bad
Cannon - Excellent
Crowd - Friendly (in some ways Jersey is like the South)
Game - Excellent
Traffic - Not bad at all.
Change - Bad. I used to go the stadium nearly every day as a student and every year it seems less familiar.

Great atmosphere in the tailgating lots! Rutgers fans know how to tailgate. The "Rutgers Boardwalk" is a wonderful addition and the young kids seemed to really enjoy it. Well done Rutgers! Also, kudos to the student section for turning out and being enthusiastic.

Criticisms:
1. The music coming from the stage on the corner by the Scarlet Walk (both from the band playing and then the recorded music played after the band finished) was way too loud. You shouldn't have to scream directly into the ear of the person standing right next to you in order for them to be able to hear you. Particularly on homecoming day when you might want to chat with someone you haven't seen in a long time. And the marching band was totally drowned out by that music when they marched by until someone finally decided to turn the music down (not off, just down, so the marching band still had to compete to be heard).

2. Inside the stadium:
- Not every moment needs to be filled with piped in music. Often times the music drowns out chants from the student section or the audio that accompanies whatever is being displayed on the scoreboard at the time. It kills whatever energy/chants may be spontaneously arising in the crowd.
- Please stop blaring the piped in music up until the very second before the ball is snapped. Often times this seems to happen even when Rutgers has the ball and frequently they wait a little too long before stopping the music.

3. Train horn. Please stop! Way overused.

Really a very good time for both the tailgate and game. Got there at 8:30 - no traffic coming in.....stayed 90 minutes post game for tailgating so no traffic out either. Ended up being a small tailgate/friend group but very relaxing and enjoyable this year in Scarlet (most wives and kids had other plans). Everyone around us was really friendly - great food, beverages, cigars, company and music. Perfect weather for the day and we hung around at least 90 minutes post game.

- Way too much train horn
- Games are becoming too long (not an RU issue) with all the TV Timeouts etc

Really a very good time for both the tailgate and game. Got there at 8:30 - no traffic coming in.....stayed 90 minutes post game for tailgating so no traffic out either. Ended up being a small tailgate/friend group but very relaxing and enjoyable this year in Scarlet (most wives and kids had other plans). Everyone around us was really friendly - great food, beverages, cigars, company and music. Perfect weather for the day and we hung around at least 90 minutes post game.

Scarlet for every game this year?

Overall, the entire experience seemed very positive yesterday.
Entering and exiting the Yellow lot was easy.
Tailgating scene was great.
Entry through the West gate was easy 30 minutes before kickoff.
Most of the gameday ops was good, though they could still refine timing and song selection.

Here's a video of the marching band:

We won and I got to catch a tan wearing a sleeveless shirt in 105 enjoying the beautiful October weather.

Reactions: Knight Shift

One of my favorite seasonal aromas is the smell of cigar smoke, charcoal and grilling meat in the lots. To me, that's Fall - not pumpkin spice.

Scarlet for every game this year?

Usually we lay out extra cash to upgrade parking since we are all old and lazy LOL. Green and Scarlet so far (we missed the Iowa game). You still going with Scott? Let me know if you ever want to join us.

The reason the lines were shorter in the parking lots and at the concession stands is because attendance was incredibly weak. 25,000 tops, yet of course Rutgers announced a crowd of 43,255. I hope a big donor or someone with connections to the athletic department can express how embarrassing this is to the university. The "sellouts" were obviously fake and this latest attendance number is inflated by at least 18,000. Just publish a real attendance number and it will make Rutgers look better in the long run once the program is turned around and the stadium really is full.

Reactions: Fat Koko
Usually we lay out extra cash to upgrade parking since we are all old and lazy LOL. Green and Scarlet so far (we missed the Iowa game). You still going with Scott? Let me know if you ever want to join us.
Maybe see you at Michigan?

I'll talk to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUInsanity
That was you ?
In fairness, she was really hot and very much into it.

Homecoming game was excellent! Anybody who has been going to Rutgers football games for any length of time knows that the weather is a huge factor in the overall enjoyment of the game. The weather was excellent so that is like 50% of the enjoyment of the game. Our regular tailgate in the Purple lot Was not present because our group of alumni were invited to different tailgates. So me and my buddy started tailgating by ourselves in the RAC lot....Until we got a text from a friend who invited us to their tailgate in the scarlet lot. There is alot to be said for tailgating in the scarlet lot. We got to tailgate until right before kickoff and we were right at the stadium gate.
The crowd was light but everyone in my section was well behaved and was cheering on RU. The fact RU won made the game all that much better and hopefully we will get a W against Minny! overall the game day was great and hopefully we will have similar weather for the Michigan night game.

Reactions: Pils86
The reason the lines were shorter in the parking lots and at the concession stands is because attendance was incredibly weak. 25,000 tops, yet of course Rutgers announced a crowd of 43,255. I hope a big donor or someone with connections to the athletic department can express how embarrassing this is to the university. The "sellouts" were obviously fake and this latest attendance number is inflated by at least 18,000. Just publish a real attendance number and it will make Rutgers look better in the long run once the program is turned around and the stadium really is full.

Totally disagree on the attendance. No way it was only 25K. There were at least 40,000 or so in the building at the peak.

If everyone on the upper deck and everyone in the concourse waking around and buying concessions in the the lower level was in a seat, the lower level would be about full. That’s almost 42K seats.
Obviously nether Iowa nor Nebraska was sold out. No argument there.

even worse than the lame attendance by the students was the fact that they all trooped out, except for the 1st 2 rows which is the Riot Squad, with 2 minutes left in the game. They didn't bother sticking around for the alma mater. That was very dissapointing to me.
I noticed that too but figured they're probably so used to leaving early and/or losing (they don't play the alma mater after a loss anymore) that the alma mater isn't even a thought to the current students except the handful of serious fans.

I noticed that too but figured they're probably so used to leaving early and/or losing (they don't play the alma mater after a loss anymore) that the alma mater isn't even a thought to the current students except the handful of serious fans.
That's gotta really impress the recruits checking RU out....especially if they had previously visited Pedd State, OSU, Michigan, or Tennessee and their full 100,000 seat stadiums.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT